Menu

The best deals on glasses with complicated prescription?

KungFuPanda

My insurance switched and my eye doctor is no longer on their list.  I'm fine with paying out-of-network prices to see him for my exam, but I'd like to get my glasses elsewhere.  Has anyone crunched the numbers and found the best deal on glasses?  Pearl Vision and Lenscrafters both show up as in network.  In the past, I've always just gone to Costco, but my rx has gotten complicated and I'm not sure they'd be cheaper than another place that is covered.  I'd really appreciate some guidance on this because I'm having real trouble making this decision.  Dh is no help because he was blessed with working eyeballs and just started using drugstore readers after 50.

I'm dealing with:

Avid reader:  I tend to knock out a few books a week plus computer reading

Near Sightedness - enough that I have to get the lighter lenses or my frame choices are too limited

Astigmatism

Progressive Lenses*

Transition Lenses - I can't be trusted to remember sunglasses, but I sometimes resent that they transition on cloudy days

*The progressives are brand new recommendation today.  I have to choose between getting this, going with bifocals, or just using separate reading glasses.  I can't decide what I'd rather do.  If wearing the progressives all the time is annoying, I might prefer the readers.  I think bifocals might have too much of a learning curve and hurt my feelings.  I tend to do my serious reading in one spot at night, so I might be able to just switch and be happy at this point then revisit the whole transitions/bifocals issue later.  

28 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

My insurance switched and my eye doctor is no longer on their list.  I'm fine with paying out-of-network prices to see him for my exam, but I'd like to get my glasses elsewhere.  Has anyone crunched the numbers and found the best deal on glasses?  Pearl Vision and Lenscrafters both show up as in network.  In the past, I've always just gone to Costco, but my rx has gotten complicated and I'm not sure they'd be cheaper than another place that is covered.  I'd really appreciate some guidance on this because I'm having real trouble making this decision.  Dh is no help because he was blessed with working eyeballs and just started using drugstore readers after 50.

I'm dealing with:

Near Sightedness - enough that I have to get the lighter lenses or my frame choices are too limited

Astigmatism

Progressive Lenses*

Transition Lenses - I can't be trusted to remember sunglasses, but I sometimes resent that they transition on cloudy days

*The progressives are brand new recommendation today.  I have to choose between getting this, going with bifocals, or just using separate reading glasses.  I can't decide what I'd rather do.  If wearing the progressives all the time is annoying, I might prefer the readers.  I think bifocals might have too much of a learning curve and hurt my feelings.  I tend to do my serious reading in one spot at night, so I might be able to just switch and be happy at this point then revisit the whole transitions/bifocals issue later.  

Zenni can handle a stronger prescription with their progressive lenses than for bifocals. So I'd check them out.

Unfortunately, I could not handle progressive lenses and my prescription is too strong for them to make bifocals from.

https://help.zennioptical.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009868053-Can-you-fill-strong-prescriptions-

Do NOT order from Zenni.  I tried to get regular glasses in a stronger prescription in a polarized lens.  They remade them multiple times, could not pass quality control, and refused to refund me or ship the other glasses I had in the same order or refund me for those until I went through dispute resolution with my credit card company.  Then the ones I got were the wrong prescription anyway.  I ended up having Sam's Club remake them and then wished I'd ordered from them in the first place because I liked their frame selection better than my local Costco.

• Like 1

Costco can handle this. I just ordered some complicated reading glasses..no issues.  I do have astigmatism.

They do guarantee the glasses if they are not right. They will reorder them. 

My son had contacts that were not right, after three orders, they fully refunded his money.  Eventually he gave up on contacts as several places could not make them for him to be comfortable wearing them.  Therefore, I assume it was never Costco's fault.  My son just couldn't tolerate that kind of lense.

I have a similarly complicated prescription but I've always bought them through my optometrist. I know that's supposedly the highest cost thing to do, but I do like knowing they'll be there to help me if needed. If I were looking for a less expensive option I'd go with Costco. I've heard nothing but good things about their optometry department. No way, no how would I order progressives online (but I probably wouldn't order any prescription glasses online, so take that FWIW).

I absolutely puffy heart love progressive lenses. I've never had anything else, and can't imagine having to change out glasses for different needs. Ugh. But there are people who can't handle them. I like transition lenses, too. Not love (they are a little annoying sometimes), but like well enough I'll probably always stick with them.

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

If wearing the progressives all the time is annoying, I might prefer the readers.

I find that wearing progressives is incredibly natural.  But I started when my vision wasn't totally terrible, which apparently is important because then the discrepancy between the upper and lower lens isn't as great.  With a complicated prescription, I don't know if that would be an issue or not.

Well, I like my progressives and I have a really high prescription--higher than many optometrists I've had have seen--plus astigmatism.

I did use Zenni for my current glasses, a replacement pair. I have been just as happy with them as I was with the expensive ones from my optometrist. I suggested hubby order from Zenni as well. Maybe I should rethink that, reading this thread! 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, sbgrace said:

Well, I like my progressives and I have a really high prescription--higher than many optometrists I've had have seen--plus astigmatism.

I did use Zenni for my current glasses, a replacement pair. I have been just as happy with them as I was with the expensive ones from my optometrist. I suggested hubby order from Zenni as well. Maybe I should rethink that, reading this thread! 

If they work for you, I sure wouldn’t change! I just have never been able to get online ordered progressives to have the transitions at the right places. Too low or too high really makes a difference.  Hope your dh has the same great results!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm dealing with:

Astigmatism

Progressive Lenses*

Just wanted to share a couple of things not related to price.  Check your health insurance.  I always used my vision insurance and when it switched I was in the same boat as you.  I then discovered my health insurance covers eye exams once a year and my eye doctor is covered because she's an ophthalmologist and not a optometrist.  

I LOVE my progressive lessons.  As someone with astigimatism that caused horrible nightglares, I had pretty much given up night driving.  When I got the progressives, all the rings around lights went away and I can safely see/drive at night again.  After that discovery, I got over the sticker shock of my high prescription, hi index, progressive, transition (and pretty much everything else on your list) and decided that driving at night was worth the cost of the glasses.  

I can't help you with the cost, because I just picked a place that was covered by my insurance.  I think the cost would have been pretty much the same at any of the chains because the insurance has fixed prices for what I had to pay for each feature.

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have had good luck with progressive and high index lenses at Costco. They have transitions coatings (and polarized) but I hate transitions lenses.

I hate that they transition on cloudy days.  However, my mother, grandmother, and grandfather all dealt with cataracts that were possibly caused by a combination of light eyes and a reluctance to use sunglasses.  Since I'm too lazy to carry them around with me I figure transitioning lenses are safer for me.  I LOVE being outside and always stay out longer than I think I will.

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I have a similarly complicated prescription but I've always bought them through my optometrist. I know that's supposedly the highest cost thing to do, but I do like knowing they'll be there to help me if needed. If I were looking for a less expensive option I'd go with Costco. I've heard nothing but good things about their optometry department. No way, no how would I order progressives online (but I probably wouldn't order any prescription glasses online, so take that FWIW).

I absolutely puffy heart love progressive lenses. I've never had anything else, and can't imagine having to change out glasses for different needs. Ugh. But there are people who can't handle them. I like transition lenses, too. Not love (they are a little annoying sometimes), but like well enough I'll probably always stick with them.

I have no issue with buying through an optometrist, but MY optometrist isn't covered by insurance and it's a LOT more to buy the glasses out of network.  They go from covering most of the cost to covering about $50.  It's just rude.

1 hour ago, EKS said:

I find that wearing progressives is incredibly natural.  But I started when my vision wasn't totally terrible, which apparently is important because then the discrepancy between the upper and lower lens isn't as great.  With a complicated prescription, I don't know if that would be an issue or not.

I'm at this stage now.  Baby's first bifocals.  Maybe I should get in now while it's less drastic?

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

Costco - absolutely. And they take insurance. 

They're not on my list of covered providers.  Pearl and Lenscrafters both are, along with the local University's eyecare place.  I have lots of choices, but costco and my eye doctor aren't among them.  Sometimes it seems costco without insurance can be cheaper than the eye doctor with insurance, but I if I can get more coverage . . .

33 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Just wanted to share a couple of things not related to price.  Check your health insurance.  I always used my vision insurance and when it switched I was in the same boat as you.  I then discovered my health insurance covers eye exams once a year and my eye doctor is covered because she's an ophthalmologist and not a optometrist.  

I LOVE my progressive lessons.  As someone with astigimatism that caused horrible nightglares, I had pretty much given up night driving.  When I got the progressives, all the rings around lights went away and I can safely see/drive at night again.  After that discovery, I got over the sticker shock of my high prescription, hi index, progressive, transition (and pretty much everything else on your list) and decided that driving at night was worth the cost of the glasses.  

I can't help you with the cost, because I just picked a place that was covered by my insurance.  I think the cost would have been pretty much the same at any of the chains because the insurance has fixed prices for what I had to pay for each feature.

My guys is an optometrist.  I LOVE him.  I probably won't switch for exams until he retires, but exams cost less than glasses.  I'm gonna call and double check that they don't take my insurance.  Is it too much to hope that they take it but aren't on the official list? 😁 I mean, it's BCBS, why would anyone NOT want that???

Edited to say Thank You for all of the insight.  It's very helpful. Way more helpful than my husband and his stupid working eyeballs.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

We started buying glasses at Costco for the price, but we've stayed because they seem to do a better job getting the lenses right than whoever makes them for the optometrist's office. 

Also, in case you aren't aware, Costco caps the price on glasses for kids.  I don't remember what it is, but one of my teens picked some pricier frames once that still ended up really cheap, just because of dc's age.  

9 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

It always amazes me how this seems to vary. Here in my state no ophthalmologist that I've had experience with will do a regular vision exam. They do not do them. DH has uveitis and has been under the care of an ophthalmologist for a couple of years. Sometimes he goes as often as once a month. His uveitis affects his vision, of course. So he has to shuffle back and forth between the ophthalmologist and optometrist because the ophthalmologist doesn't do anything related to eyeglasses. Nothing. My mom saw an ophthalmologist for years. My brother does now. And . . nope. None of them do anything related to eyeglasses. Similarly, here if one has what is likely a minor eye issue like conjunctivitis or a corneal ulcer one goes to an optometrist to treat it.

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I hate that they transition on cloudy days.  However, my mother, grandmother, and grandfather all dealt with cataracts that were possibly caused by a combination of light eyes and a reluctance to use sunglasses.  Since I'm too lazy to carry them around with me I figure transitioning lenses are safer for me.  I LOVE being outside and always stay out longer than I think I will.

Yes. My optometrist is very laid back and doesn't push anything, but when I mentioned trying transitions she was all for it. She says she loves that they provide constant protection.

I’m -1100 in both eyes. So really, really thick lens. Also, my face is tiny and I have to choose frames from the kids section. I even have kids Raybans that I wear over contacts. I also don’t like the feel of frames resting on my face. I like ones with the little nose pads instead. (Rayban aviators are some comfy sunglasses).

Talk about restrictions.

This is what I have:

1) Progressives for everyday (for over contacts) from my local eye doctor. I got lucky and found the unicorn frame right in the eye doctor office. They are gorgeous and do not look like little girl frames. I didn’t care about the price for these, as I knew they were “the ones I’d never find again in my life”. (It’s even very hard to find small enough frames on Zinni and such). 

2) Computer glasses for …..the computer. I found a pair on Zinni that fit well enough for this purpose. They are progressives. They stay right on my computer desk at all times. (For over contacts). These were only $75.00.

Eye glasses that are half frames from the eye doctor (little boys) to reduce weight as my prescription is thick and heavy. I don’t opt for the anti reflective as I have found that they scratch much less without that and it saves a bunch of money. I hate scratches on my lens more than I care about anti reflective. I wear these at night when my contacts are out. They were very expensive (strong prescription) and I don’t have a backup pair. 

I don’t like bifocals at all, in reading glasses or eye glasses. If I got bifocals in my eye glasses with my tiny lens, each section would be ridiculously tiny. For now, I just get by with using my naked eye for closeup reading if I don’t have contacts and readers on. I watch entire movies on Netflix with my cell phone propped 3 inches from my face in total comfort. I can’t stand the line on bifocals, and progressives give a much more natural field of vision once you adjust. It only takes a few days. 

On the rare occasions that I have on eye glasses at the store and need to read a label, I just look below my glasses and use my naked eye. It’s really amazing the kind of closeup vision a very near-sighted person has with their naked eye.  I can see individual pixels, every finger print ridge, etc. Fascinating.

Zinni does have lots of affordable options, and you can make them readers as bifocals or progressives. They have progressives for pretty much any specific distance. You just have to accurately measure and carefully choose frames. I called them to get them to help with getting the order just right. I didn’t know how to indicate the prescription was for over contacts only, with no prescription at the top of the lens. 

I was in the same position as you in trying to decide between bifocals, progressives, or separate readers. So, with my choice of progressives for every day in a frame I love, I’ve been very happy. If I need them for reading, I can wear them and see all distances. If I don’t need them, I just take them off. Glasses for computer and naked eye for movies and reading at night. (Of course, you may not like the naked eye thing. I love that super power, lol).

Honestly, for reading books with contacts on, hence needing readers, the every day all distance progressives are perfect. The every day readers are only bad at the computer because you will strain your neck. So it’s just necessary to get separate computer ones. 

Anyway, this is my complicated setup. It works for now, at least. Lol.

LOVE progressives. Just adjust. I think you would like them.

Edited by Indigo Blue

Formerly with severe Myopia and Astigmatism before my LASIK surgeies in November 1997.  I have had eyeglasses with defective lenses made in the USA and here in Colombia.  At least once in Texas in a chain.  Texas State Optical. I had issues with the new glasses and the office of my Ophthalmologist suggested  that I try them longer and if that didn't work, to make an appointment.  In about 3 seconds they found that the Optical Center was not in the center of the lenses.  When I went back to TSO they told me the lenses had passed inspection to which I replied, with courtesy, the inspection was faulty.   They sent the glasses back to their lab and remade the lenses and then they were OK.

Also had an issue with eyeglasses purchased from the Opticians in the eye hospital here in Cali where our Ophthalmologist has her office. The lenses were produced in the city of Barranquilla (on Caribbean Coast) in a lab there.  Not inexpensive. They were defective and had to be remade.

This was approximately 5 years ago, but I think a childhood friend in the USA has new lenses made for his expensive frame every 2 years in Costco?

And I wonder if people with complex prescriptions go to one of my 2 cousins that are Optometrists and (probably?) pay a lot of money, if the result is better?  I suspect they do more checking, before sending the customer out the door with their new glasses.

We don't have complex prescriptions and Zenni seems fine for us and I doubt that many optical labs have their level of Quality Control. Several years ago, when we were placing an order with Zenni, my wife decided to gift new eyeglasses to her sister and BIL and Nephew.  BIL decided on Progressives or Transition lenses. I think Progressives.  He tried them but could not get used to them. I suspect that is common when people switch to Progressives or Transition lenses?

11 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I then discovered my health insurance covers eye exams once a year and my eye doctor is covered because she's an ophthalmologist and not a optometrist.

I second this!    Mine health insurance covers mine as well.  At my last appointment the receptionist told me that they always file ophthalmologist appointments with health insurance, never eye insurance.

I have no idea about ordering online glasses, I have never tried it.  I am tempted but I have no idea what the measurement between my eyes is.  Isn't that number needed for ordering online?  

I have astigmatism and prisms. I can only see shapes and colors overlapping if I don't have my glasses on. I tried progressives for 6 weeks and couldn't adjust. I wish they would have worked. I get my glasses from the optometrist's office so they can confirm I'm looking through the optical center. If I'm not looking through the right part of the lens, the effect of the prisms is decreased. 

My current set up is a little strange. My newest glasses are Chemestrie. The base pair has bifocals, which work fine if I'm glancing at my phone or a piece of paper. I can attach my reader lens if I'm using the computer or reading for long periods of time so my neck doesn't get stiff. The reader lens came in very handy when I was working and needed to easily see the work computer. Because the Chemestrie glasses have magnets, I can attach my sunglasses to either the base pair of glasses or my readers. I also have an old pair of readers I keep at my computer. I really like this combo and will likely continue with them for many years. The downside is I have to be aware of where my extra lenses are so I don't lose them.

I went to an ophthalmologist for several years. He kept telling me I had a major medical eye problem and suggested I use my medical insurance. He wouldn't tell me what the issue was. I went to the base ophthalmologist (Tricare wouldn't cover a civilian provider if I could access the service on base) who couldn't find anything. I continued with this ophthalmologist for a couple of years. Each year, he made a big deal of whatever the medical issue was, but wouldn't tell me. I have no idea what the problem was and figured if he wasn't telling me specifics that it must not be such a big deal. I haven't been back to see him for about 4 years. I don't know if he wanted my medical appts or if my eye insurance limited him to just giving me my prescription, but it was frustrating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

I have no idea about ordering online glasses, I have never tried it.  I am tempted but I have no idea what the measurement between my eyes is.  Isn't that number needed for ordering online?  

Yes,you need the PD, the pupillary distance, but when I’ve had them made in person they also have me try on the frames and note where my pupils fall on the lens- top to bottom. It’s different depending on things like where you wear your glasses-pushed all the way up or slightly off the top of your nose.  When I bought online the reading lens was about halfway up, which was WAY too high for me. I was looking straight ahead and it meant I was looking through the reading lens. 
‘You can look online to see video on how to measure your PD-it’s easy if you have a helper. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I don’t like bifocals at all, in reading glasses or eye glasses. If I got bifocals in my eye glasses with my tiny lens, each section would be ridiculously tiny. For now, I just get by with using my naked eye for closeup reading if I don’t have contacts and readers on. I watch entire movies on Netflix with my cell phone propped 3 inches from my face in total comfort. I can’t stand the line on bifocals, and progressives give a much more natural field of vision once you adjust. It only takes a few days. 

I tried for two weeks before I gave up. I kept expecting it was just a matter of "a little more time"  but it kept being blurry and frustrating

(Actually may have been three. IT was a long time)

I ended up with bifocals and separate computer glasses.

Edited by vonfirmath

29 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I tried for two weeks before I gave up. I kept expecting it was just a matter of "a little more time"  but it kept being blurry and frustrating

(Actually may have been three. IT was a long time)

I ended up with bifocals and separate computer glasses.

So funny how our eyes are different that way. There were weird aberrations at the sides for a few days, but it completely went away! I could never adjust to mono vision, but some people do. I don’t see how!

First pair of progressives?  Go someplace that guarantees their glasses and will remake them if you don’t like progressives.  Our place is local so I can’t recommend it out of the area.  My son can’t handle progressives and prefers bifocals.  I have progressives now too and I’m not sure I will order another pair - I may go for separate reading glasses.  

I know people rave about Zenni and online ordering but we have not had much luck.  My husband is the only one who has been able order a backup pair that was ok from Zenni and a primary pair from Warby Parker and he’s said he will never do Zenni again.