Menu

I might have to get off FB

Scarlett

I've noticed that the younger set (20 somethings) who are actually using FB are sharing stuff like that - I imagine they think the memes are meaningful and full of wisdom - current topics seem to be about being who you are, only associating with people who make you feel better, being tolerate of everyone, standing up for yourself, lots about depression and anxiety.  I don't imagine they realize that when they share these, that people automatically start thinking they are making a statement about their own personal situation/lifestyle. I think they just think it is wisdom and beautiful sounding (rarely do I think they think the statements through) and they like and and therefore share it. 

So, I've unfollowed or snoozed a lot of my younger FB friends. The ones I want to keep up with - I go to their page every so often (typically if I think of them) and scroll through rapidly - looking only for pictures of them/their family and actual posts they typed up. The rest is just spam, and I'm not going to waste my time reading spam email or spam memes. 

I do block the sites of original content - mostly recipe sites. I've blocked so many, but there are so many more to block. From the number of recipes one friend shares, she must spend a good part of her day just looking at recipes. Since she never shared pictures of food she has actually cooked, I do wonder if she does. 

• Like 4

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I've noticed that the younger set (20 somethings) who are actually using FB are sharing stuff like that - I imagine they think the memes are meaningful and full of wisdom - current topics seem to be about being who you are, only associating with people who make you feel better, being tolerate of everyone, standing up for yourself, lots about depression and anxiety.  I don't imagine they realize that when they share these, that people automatically start thinking they are making a statement about their own personal situation/lifestyle. 

Or, they are making a statement. 

Or they don't care if people think it is about their own situation. 

I'm in my mid forties, so hard to think of myself as "young" but I'm definitely finding myself on that side of things I guess. I mean, to be honest, all this talk about "over sharing" and "it should just be cute photos of kids and kittens" stuff sounds like someone from Steel Magnolias telling me to put on a girdle and not let people know I have depression cause it is "dirty laundry" or something, lol. 

I look at my facebook page as MY space to do with what I want. Yours is yours. I shouldn't go to your house and then get upset with how you choose to decorate, or what music you listen to, etc...same with your facebook page. It's your space. If I don't like it, I won't visit. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

It is not anyone's place to tell another adult what they are allowed to share about their own feelings and thoughts. 

You can dislike it, that is valid. But it is JUST as valid for her to like it. Would you want people looking over your facebook profile judging all the stuff you post and then going to other social media to gossip about it? 

Having a different opinion than you does't make her wrong. Nor worthy of gossip and ridicule. 

Well, I think you are being a little harsh on me here.  I was joking about 'whose job is it?'  Honestly if I was posting cringe worthy things I would hope someone would tell me.  Even though I am an adult.  

And I am on a forum do a little venting about my DIL.  And getting judged for it. LOL

• Like 5

11 hours ago, katilac said:

Why is changing jobs because your current one no longer serves your purposes a terrible attitude? 

11 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I don’t know why I have to defend my feelings about that meme.  But I can’t imagine that would play well to a prospective employer.  In reality many 20 somethings feel th at way. My son does in fact.  But he isn’t posting it all over SM and I doubt he would say that to someone interviewing him. 

I'm 51, have worked full time the majority of my life and I feel the same way.    It's not something I'd come out with at a job interview in quite those words but have probably said something similar when asked why I left certain jobs after a short amount of time.   

I've worked full time for all except about 8 years of my life since I was 16 and I've never had a job that lasted 5 years (a few were due to closings and layoffs).   That meme is pretty spot on about not owing employers anything.  Most certainly don't show any loyalty, and many not even decency to their employees. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wheres Toto said:

That's definitely when I started unfollowing and blocking people.  

I also didn't know you could block the original source of memes.  That is very good to know. 

It is pretty cool.  I usually don't bother with it unless the original sight has a vulgar name or something very offensive.

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I'm in my mid forties, so hard to think of myself as "young" but I'm definitely finding myself on that side of things I guess. I mean, to be honest, all this talk about "over sharing" and "it should just be cute photos of kids and kittens" stuff sounds like someone from Steel Magnolias telling me to put on a girdle and not let people know I have depression cause it is "dirty laundry" or something, lol. 

I look at my facebook page as MY space to do with what I want. Yours is yours. I shouldn't go to your house and then get upset with how you choose to decorate, or what music you listen to, etc...same with your facebook page. It's your space. If I don't like it, I won't visit. 

I don't know what type of posts you post on your fb feed but honestly, if someone I love and care about is posting a meme that makes it sound like they are struggling with their marriage and possibly considering divorce I am going to reach out to them and make sure they are ok.  If they are, that is great, but then I'd point out that their meme is sending out a message they might not like everyone on their friends list thinking.  Because many people wouldn't reach out and ask, they would just assume.  And then they would go around asking other people in your circle about it because most people are not comfortable going directly to the source.

I think your reaction to Scarlett's post is a big reason why people don't go to the direct source when they are concerned about something that person has said and instead talk to other people about it. People vent on here all the time  so they don't have to go to the direct source but don't want to snoop by talking about it with people they know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I don't know what type of posts you post on your fb feed but honestly, if someone I love and care about is posting a meme that makes it sound like they are struggling with their marriage and possibly considering divorce I am going to reach out to them and make sure they are ok.  If they are, that is great, but then I'd point out that their meme is sending out a message they might not like everyone on their friends list thinking.  Because many people wouldn't reach out and ask, they would just assume.  And then they would go around asking other people in your circle about it because most people are not comfortable going directly to the source.

I think your reaction to Scarlett's post is a big reason why people don't go to the direct source when they are concerned about something that person has said and instead talk to other people about it. People vent on here all the time  so they don't have to go to the direct source but don't want to snoop by talking about it with people they know.

I told dh about it so that he can make a phone call to his son in case his son needs to talk to him..........he won't mention the FB post....but if something is going on he will probably tell dh. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I told dh about it so that he can make a phone call to his son in case his son needs to talk to him..........he won't mention the FB post....but if something is going on he will probably tell dh. 

see but that is what I was talking about not doing.  There is a huge problem in our society because people do not go to the direct source and instead seek out info from other people.  Bringing it up to your stepson, even simply implying that you think something may be wrong is bringing in drama to their lives that might not be there.  And if it isn't there you could be laying seeds of doubt in your stepson's head.  Seeds that wouldn't be there if you just went to the source directly if you are actually concerned.

• Like 3

Just now, hjffkj said:

see but that is what I was talking about not doing.  There is a huge problem in our society because people do not go to the direct source and instead seek out info from other people.  Bringing it up to your stepson, even simply implying that you think something may be wrong is bringing in drama to their lives that might not be there.  And if it isn't there you could be laying seeds of doubt in your stepson's head.  Seeds that wouldn't be there if you just went to the source directly if you are actually concerned.

Oh dh is just making a hi how are you doing phone call.  He isn't going to imply he thinks anything is wrong.  And I absolutely won't be asking my DIL if everything is ok.  I honestly thinks she posts things like that to see who will bite.  I won't ask her about it but I also won't be telling anyone else about it. (IRL I mean)

As far as laying seeds of doubt in our son's head......he is her FB friend too, so he knows what she is posting.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Scarlett said:

If you are married, and posting a meme that says 'Divorce is ok' it tends to make people think you might be getting a divorce. 

No it doesn't.  Not everyone personalizes everything or interprets everything as code needing to be read between the lines.   Many people are able to generalize-it's an important skill everyone needs to develop. She may have a FB friend or friends that are stuck in toxic marriages who she might be trying to encourage. She may be seeing posts from other FB friends about there being no good reason to divorce.  There are times when divorce is everything she posted and I know there are subsets of society that need to hear it.  Assuming the worst case scenario a bad mental habit that feeds drama and unnecessary anxiety.

It sounds like you might not be a good fit for social media.  Not everyone is.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I got some flack, not quite like this, but — when I had a baby, I could do some things one handed while holding/rocking the baby.  But it wasn’t a time I could take a picture. Why wasn’t I taking more pictures when I had time to do:  things I could do one-handed, or that I could do while holding the baby.  

And not like — neglecting or ignoring the baby.

But I could not take a picture of the baby while holding the baby!  

I felt like it was hard to sneak in pictures when my kids were babies!  

Also if she is nursing — I would give anyone a pass on whatever they are doing to pass the time — it is one of those things I remember as both taking a long time but also not taking that long — but I remember finding it really boring at times.  

10 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

No it doesn't.  Not everyone personalizes everything or interprets everything as code needing to be read between the lines.   Many people are able to generalize-it's an important skill everyone needs to develop. She may have a FB friend or friends that are stuck in toxic marriages who she might be trying to encourage. She may be seeing posts from other FB friends about there being no good reason to divorce.  There are times when divorce is everything she posted and I know there are subsets of society that need to hear it.  Assuming the worst case scenario a bad mental habit that feeds drama and unnecessary anxiety.

It sounds like you might not be a good fit for social media.  Not everyone is.

Oh please.  I am not assuming the worst case scenario.  Her posts annoy me and I vented here and I say nothing to her.  And it isn't the ONE post.  It is literally nearly everything she posts is like that.  

• Like 4

If you were one of her friends — I think you would have an idea if she were just reposting things or if she were vaguebooking, etc, but I think that can be hard to know without seeing what other people who are her friends are doing.

So really — who knows.  

But I can see being able to click one button to repost something that will have a purpose of having reposted — for someone to see it was reposted — but not really being able to type something or take a picture.  

Anyway — I agree with it being annoying — but it may not mean too much!  

21 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Oh please.  I am not assuming the worst case scenario.  Her posts annoy me and I vented here and I say nothing to her.  And it isn't the ONE post.  It is literally nearly everything she posts is like that.  

Then why haven't you unfollowed her yet?

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Lecka said:

If you were one of her friends — I think you would have an idea if she were just reposting things or if she were vaguebooking, etc, but I think that can be hard to know without seeing what other people who are her friends are doing.

So really — who knows.  

But I can see being able to click one button to repost something that will have a purpose of having reposted — for someone to see it was reposted — but not really being able to type something or take a picture.  

Anyway — I agree with it being annoying — but it may not mean too much!  

I am sure it doesn't mean much.  Dh just heard from dss24.  Everything seems fine.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Well, I think you are being a little harsh on me here.  I was joking about 'whose job is it?'  Honestly if I was posting cringe worthy things I would hope someone would tell me.  Even though I am an adult.  

And I am on a forum do a little venting about my DIL.  And getting judged for it. LOL

But cringeworthy to who? If she thinks it is appropriate, isn't that enough?

I can tell you, having my mom tell me that I shouldn't post about my ADHD because that is personal, or that a photo of my sweaty yoga mat is "TMI", etc did nothing good for our relationship. She doesn't need to post that stuff, but I want to, and it is my page. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

But cringeworthy to who? If she thinks it is appropriate, isn't that enough?

I can tell you, having my mom tell me that I shouldn't post about my ADHD because that is personal, or that a photo of my sweaty yoga mat is "TMI", etc did nothing good for our relationship. She doesn't need to post that stuff, but I want to, and it is my page. 

🙂  Thus the reason I do not talk to my DIL about her FB posts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

🙂  Thus the reason I do not talk to my DIL about her FB posts.

Fair enough, lol. 

But it might be worth rethinking the idea that she is using facebook wrong, and just understand that different people use it differently. 

Some say it is totally wrong to talk politics on facebook, it should be just cute family photos. Others use is mostly to discuss big issues, including politics and religion, or say that you should never post personal photos on social media. Some say don't be too depressing, others say that if you just post the happy times you are creating a false picture of yourself. etc etc. You can't win. There is no "right" way to use it. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Here is another priceless one.  I got a bit of comfort in that no one liked this post.  Probably everyone is thinking 'did she block me?'

175306332_2019699154867805_8881658348724168491_n.jpg

Good news is, you can't see it if you have been blocked by her.   Bad news is, you can see it if you haven't been blocked.

• Haha 3

I think you should do what is best for your relationship with her. That might mean blocking, that might mean getting off Facebook, or it might mean learning to not read into stuff. It might have more meaning but you have to be careful doing that and it might be about friend that is in a situation that is exasperating her. You can't really know unless you are close enough to bring it up. Every relationship is different so only you know what is best.

I definitely see how Facebook is helpful especially if you move a lot and want to stay connected or if you have grandkids far away but I quit last year and honestly, haven't missed it at all, especially since now I have an excuse to make my husband post stuff to sell. 😁

I'm sure (well, not entirely) that society will learn how to properly deal with it. At least you don't see the kid shaming posts anymore. Those made me sick but for now I'm happy to just have Strava. That is the only social media I use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh I just remembered another post I saw a few months back.  'Don't let people guilt trip you about not visiting them.  They aren't visiting you either.'

Oh, how difficult it was to not reply.......We would love to visit, but have not been invited.  We have seen the grandbaby one time.  He is 9 months old.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Oh I just remembered another post I saw a few months back.  'Don't let people guilt trip you about not visiting them.  They aren't visiting you either.'

Oh, how difficult it was to not reply.......We would love to visit, but have not been invited.  We have seen the grandbaby one time.  He is 9 months old.

That must be so hurtful to you.  I would say the pandemic is likely a major factor in that but from everything you've said it is more likely you simply aren't a priority for them.  I hope that can change someday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Scarlett, have you tried instagram? It is just photos, for the most part. If she is on instagram that might be more drama free way to interact, and more what you are looking for? A lot of people really like it for that reason. 

I am on IG.  I like it fine.  And I like most of FB. 98% of my FB is non drama, non politics, non vulgar.  

23 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

That must be so hurtful to you.  I would say the pandemic is likely a major factor in that but from everything you've said it is more likely you simply aren't a priority for them.  I hope that can change someday.

And I seriously have no reason to think it was a post directed at me, since we have guilted them.   We have given them LOTS of space.  But it is just such a snarky and non-sensical think to say..

Just now, Scarlett said:

And I seriously have no reason to think it was a post directed at me, since we have guilted them.   We have given them LOTS of space.  But it is just such a snarky and non-sensical think to say..

Oh I specifically meant only seeing the baby once. I should have been more clear

• Thanks 1

Scarlett, I get it. My sister posts stuff all the time that makes me raise my eyebrows. She makes public posts so anyone can see what she writes. It's had an in impact on her employment status and job search. Multiple people have tried to persuade her to at least make the posts friends-only, but she doesn't want to because "this is who I am". Augh. Ok, well, "who you are" is unemployed. Is there a meme for that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Scarlett, I get it. My sister posts stuff all the time that makes me raise my eyebrows. She makes public posts so anyone can see what she writes. It's had an in impact on her employment status and job search. Multiple people have tried to persuade her to at least make the posts friends-only, but she doesn't want to because "this is who I am". Augh. Ok, well, "who you are" is unemployed. Is there a meme for that?

Yes, exactly.  Thank you for getting it.   And yes, both of these kids (not really kids, but our kids I guess) are unemployed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I would love to see a meme for that. LOL

• Like 1

Yes, the whole " be who you are thing" is not very well thought out. Personally, sometimes I can be a real jerk, or talk without thinking, or not well organized. There are certainly things I want to change and I need to not only think about me, myself, and I but also how I affect others. I do hope people will love me in spite of my quirks and accept what makes me uniquely me, but I certainly want to grow and change and I'm very glad I'm not the same person I was 20 years ago!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yeah, but it can also be, well...true. I have an aunt that liked to talk crap about me not initiating contact/visits/etc since I was going to college in the town she lived in. But...as my other aunt said, that goes both ways, and given that aunt is the adult, with a house to host at, with disposable income to pay for a dinner out, etc....the burden was certainly at LEAST equal for her to initiate! I think that type of situation is what the meme is talking about, or maybe when a certain relative gave me grief about only visiting once a month when they had been to visit me all of once in two years (40 minute drive). 

17 minutes ago, frogger said:

Yes, the whole " be who you are thing" is not very well thought out. Personally, sometimes I can be a real jerk, or talk without thinking, or not well organized. There are certainly things I want to change and I need to not only think about me, myself, and I but also how I affect others. I do hope people will love me in spite of my quirks and accept what makes me uniquely me, but I certainly want to grow and change and I'm very glad I'm not the same person I was 20 years ago!

Oh sure! I've had friends point out that something was hurtful or plain wrong, and I've apologized or explained or corrected myself. This seems more though like Scarlett just diagrees with this girl's entire outlook on life, or at the very least the way she uses social media in general. Not a particular post. 

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yeah, but it can also be, well...true. I have an aunt that liked to talk crap about me not initiating contact/visits/etc since I was going to college in the town she lived in. But...as my other aunt said, that goes both ways, and given that aunt is the adult, with a house to host at, with disposable income to pay for a dinner out, etc....the burden was certainly at LEAST equal for her to initiate! I think that type of situation is what the meme is talking about, or maybe when a certain relative gave me grief about only visiting once a month when they had been to visit me all of once in two years (40 minute drive). 

Oh sure! I've had friends point out that something was hurtful or plain wrong, and I've apologized or explained or corrected myself. This seems more though like Scarlett just diagrees with this girl's entire outlook on life, or at the very least the way she uses social media in general. Not a particular post. 

I know almost nothing about her except what she posts on FB.  

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I know almost nothing about her except what she posts on FB.  

Well, you don't seem to like that, lol. I do think it really is just using the media a different way. 

But I DO appreciate you are not sending her messages that her posts are "TMI", lol. That really did hurt when my mom did it. I was so proud of that yoga mat post with the sweat drops - I'd been working SO hard. And to get a "TMI" from her, like it was shameful, cut deeply. Same when I posted about ADHD, etc. 

She's not wrong and neither am I, we just use it VERY differently. And have different ideas about what should be private, etc. And that's okay. 

This thread keeps making me think of that Miranda Lambert song, "Not My Mother's Broken Heart". (and for the record, I find myself identifying with BOTH the daughter and mother in that song....)

• Like 1

I think this entire thread shows that we all use FB differently. And that others interpret what they see differently than how the original poster could mean it to be understood.  So, all the more reason to scroll past anything that bothers you. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

That is one of my favorite songs.  Word got around to the barflies and the Baptists. LOL make me laugh every time.

Me too!!! That's a favorite line! Maybe just think of that song and picture your DIL cutting off her bangs with some rusty kitchen scissors when you go to her page, lol. Everything is dramatic at that age. 

And FYI, I love that we can disagree, and yet still laugh together 🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, Bambam said:

I think this entire thread shows that we all use FB differently. And that others interpret what they see differently than how the original poster could mean it to be understood.  So, all the more reason to scroll past anything that bothers you. 

Yup, take what you like and leave the rest. 

And assume positive intent. 

• Like 2

A bit of FB defensiveness on this thread! 

My personal opinion is that ppl can do as they like on their own pages, and I can do what I like - which is scroll past stuff I find cringe. No girdles required. 

No kittens either...

(I will own to my favourite FB page having nothing to do with divorce, jobs, babies, kittens....but likely some girdles...Mid Century Fashion. Gorgeous jewellry, hats, outfits. Generally, I like to see pretty things on my TL. Art, photography, poetry, aesthetic objects.)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

A bit of FB defensiveness on this thread! 

My personal opinion is that ppl can do as they like on their own pages, and I can do what I like - which is scroll past stuff I find cringe. No girdles required. 

No kittens either...

(I will own to my favourite FB page having nothing to do with divorce, jobs, babies, kittens....but likely some girdles...Mid Century Fashion. Gorgeous jewellry, hats, outfits. Generally, I like to see pretty things on my TL. Art, photography, poetry, aesthetic objects.)

I love the word girdle.

also pocketbook and dungarees. Davenport. Frankfurter, hooch, spectacles

So many words need to come back into common use.

as for the topic...Facebook sucks

• Like 4

You may be reading too much into it if you think she is oversharing or seeking attention.  It is very possible that she is posting in support of a friend going through a difficult breakup.  Why would you have to leave facebook because of something your daughter in law posts?  She should not have that much power over you.  You can snooze her for 30 days or unfollow her.

• Like 1

Here's a genuine question from the decrepit old lady over here:

How is posting a meme supportive? So, I'm going through a divorce, and my friends support me with FB memes...is it just that I feel validated by their approval of my divorce? Because I have to say (rocks a little in her chair), validation seems to be a very different thing to support. I can't imagine feeling validated by a meme, but I especially can't imagine being supported by a meme.*

*Memes are they not meant to be funny? I like funny memes. 

• Like 10

20 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Whose place is it?  Lol......my mom is the oversharer.  She posted the most embarrassing testimony for lack of a better word.....about what a great daughter I am and how wonderful I have always been.  I was inwardly just begging noone to comment so it would just die. 

Oh, my mom does this, too. Or did this; I think typing is so hard for her now she doesn’t do it anymore. She meant to be encouraging but she would gush about things as if I had worked a miracle because I redecorated my kid’s bedroom or whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Oh, my mom does this, too. Or did this; I think typing is so hard for her now she doesn’t do it anymore. She meant to be encouraging but she would gush about things as if I had worked a miracle because I redecorated my kid’s bedroom or whatever. 

I can't tolerate this either.

I'm not sure if it's me, our history, or her...but I am literally allergic to motherly overstatement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I have a different feeling to people sharing stuff about depression to their private relationships dramas.  I’m not upset that they share that stuff but it does colour my impression a bit.  In the same way that it does if someone’s always publicly talking about how bad their spouse is or something (and I have been guilty of that myself at times).

• Like 1