"Vaccine shot": A Lighter Thread about Vaccines/COVID

kokotg

"Vaccine Shot"  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you say "vaccine shot"?

• I regularly use this phrase myself
    • I don't use this phrase myself, but it sounds normal to me
    • I don't use this phrase, and it sounds weird to me

Last week an acquaintance spoke of getting his "vaccine shot" in a text. Then he did it again, suggesting that it's a phrase he uses regularly. I mocked him gently (to my family, not to him) and moved on. But then I started hearing "vaccine shot" ALL OVER THE PLACE! Including by Andy Slavitt on Twitter. I swear I have never in my life noticed anyone calling shots "vaccine shots" before. It sounds totally weird to me and redundant. Of course that's what kind of shot you mean! You could say just vaccine or just shot, but both sounds strange. So now I'm wondering if this is a regional thing, or a new thing, or if people have been saying it all over the place forever, and I've just never noticed. I might be posting a poll? I'm not sure if I am or not (i.e. if it worked or not). But, at any rate: discuss. Vaccine shot or not?

• Like 1

I voted before I fully read your post and don’t know how to change it. I thought I was just voting on the word “shot”, which yeah, that’s standard in the US. I guess I don’t know about using both—I’m not sure if I’ve said it but I wouldn’t notice if someone did. Given our mass shooting and gun obsession here it’s probably not a bad idea to clarify. 

• Sad 1

I say "Covid vaccine" or "Covid shot" but not "vaccine shot." Although on thinking about it I don't think "vaccine shot" is totally redundant. One could have a shot that is a vaccine or a shot of antibiotic, nausea medicine, etc. And of course now everybody assumes vaccine = Covid.

• Like 5

I would say vaccine or shot, not both, but it doesn't bother me or sound overly weird if others say vaccine shot. The vaccine is still a vaccine whether it's in a syringe or in a vat in a lab somewhere. Not all shots are vaccines, and not all vaccines are shots.

I put it in the same category as tuna fish. I just say tuna, but lots of people say tuna fish.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I say "Covid vaccine" or "Covid shot" but not "vaccine shot." Although on thinking about it I don't think "vaccine shot" is totally redundant. One could have a shot that is a vaccine or a shot of antibiotic, nausea medicine, etc. And of course now everybody assumes vaccine = Covid.

It's true...it's not totally redundant. Although if it's clear you're talking about a covid vaccine specifically, then it's a shot. But I can see why it might be a thing people say in general for clarity.

• Like 3

Add me to the list of either or but not both. It's either vaccine or shot. Not just for Covid but for any vaccine. For example I'd say flu shot or flu vaccine but not flu vaccine shot. 

To me that's like saying the VIN number. I know a lot of people say that and probably some people here too. But when I hear it, I hear "vehicle identification number number" 

Or like saying 3 am in the morning. As opposed to what? 3 am in the afternoon? 

I'm not fussing at any of you. I'm chuckling when I post because I'm the one who's bugged by something people say all the time. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I never thought about this!  

I've never heard/read vaccine shot and my first thought was that it is redundant.

My husband (with whom I've spent a great deal of time talking about this!) compared it to hot water heater.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

I don't think saying vaccine shot is totally redundant because the flu vaccine for example also comes in a mist. I just never hear people say it that way. 

Right. I can see an argument that it's not redundant. It doesn't bother me. I'm just not used to hearing it and am curious about how common it is and if it's regional.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I voted it’s weird, but I can see it for specifying the first, second, or both shots, since it’s just one vaccine, two shots. But generally speaking, no.

It hadn't occurred to me that it might be a covid specific thing because there are two shots. But I would still say "first shot" and "second shot" (or dose, maybe)...like I don't see how it adds any clarity, but I guess I can see how people might tend to say it more naturally re: covid vaccines than other, single dose vaccines. Based on my poll, I was starting to think hardly anyone really says it after all, but then I googled and found a bunch of examples.

• Like 2

You could have a vaccine that's not a shot (like the old oral polio vaccine that was given on a sugar cube or a nasal flu mist) or a shot that isn't a vaccine (say antibiotics) .... so its actually descriptive.... though I'd probably use one or the other and assume it was implied.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

I would say vaccine or shot, not both, but it doesn't bother me or sound overly weird if others say vaccine shot. The vaccine is still a vaccine whether it's in a syringe or in a vat in a lab somewhere. Not all shots are vaccines, and not all vaccines are shots.

I put it in the same category as tuna fish. I just say tuna, but lots of people say tuna fish.

I don't think I've heard vaccine shot. I just say vaccine, I think. 

Also, for some reason I say tuna fish when it comes in a can for sandwich making and tuna for sushi. I hadn't realized that until now, but apparently I have categorized them differently in my head.

• Like 3