Menu

what, if anything, are you doing for Fat Tuesday/Shrove Tuesday?

ktgrok

First, a humble admission. Despite long ago being taught what shrove/to shrive meant, and celebrating Shrove Tuesday many many many times, I forgot and then somehow got in my head that Shrove was a word having to do with plant leaves or something, and referred to the palm fronds burnt to make the ashes for ash wednesday. Like, in my head, they stored the palm fronds from last Palm Sunday for almost a year and then burnt them on the tuesday before ash wednesday? Thinking it through, that makes no sense, lol. Sometimes I'm as bad as a kid when it comes to making up odd explanations, lol! Thankfully several YouTube videos set me straight this morning as I was previewing some to show my kids today! 

We will watch a few videos, make Mardi Gras masks, and have a pancake supper with bacon and sausages and various pancake toppings tonight. I would love to share the Pacziki tradition with them, but not enough to make my own gluten free version (DS8 has celiac) so I ordered cinnamon sugar donuts from Whole Foods and we will have those as a snack. (I'm not polish, but I am 1/4 slovak and polish seemed close, lol)

These are the videos I found today: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvPxALIvFdoFGa5FY9PJC6MqUwh4g85YZ

Normally we would have pancakes and bacon and make some kind of dessert that isn’t that nastiness known as king cake. But today is a break in snow that’s expected to come again tonight/tomorrow so instead we are shoveling snow, making snow ice cream,  shoveling more snow and, god willing, we will make it to a grocery store and get a delivery of much needed firewood.  🙏🤞

We are hesitant to get much going on the electric cooktop or in crockpots because rolling scheduled blackouts have started. A friend’s in a neighborhood over went out for 2 hours this am.🥶

Some years I make beignets and Cajun food for dinner, but this year it's paczki from the grocery store and reheated turkey chili. And some sort of bourbon cocktail.

@Murphy101, I hope the firewood comes through soon and the rolling blackouts do not! We're shoveling out from an expected foot of snow but no issues with power so far. 

Growing up we didn't do anything, but through UK friends I discovered that it's called Pancake Day over there, and I adore pancakes, so I've made the effort to do pancakes for dinner ever since then. 

I'll probably go to Confession this week, but my parish doesn't offer it on Tuesday. Only Ordinariate Catholics are familiar with the term (and tradition of) Shrove Tuesday in my experience.

• Like 1

I made pączki for the first time this year. Normally I pick them up at the store, but I'm still limiting outings to once every two weeks due to COVID-19, so I had to bite the bullet and actually make them myself, which I've wanted to do for years anyway. We're watching the Rick Steves' European Easter special this afternoon, too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Like, in my head, they stored the palm fronds from last Palm Sunday for almost a year and then burnt them on the tuesday before ash wednesday? Thinking it through, that makes no sense, lol.  

How does it not make sense? That's exactly what Catholic churches do, at least in my experience. I grew up with drying palms jammed behind wall mirrors and in closets. I doubt they're all burned on the Tuesday, but basically a year later, yeah. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, katilac said:

How does it not make sense? That's exactly what Catholic churches do, at least in my experience. I grew up with drying palms jammed behind wall mirrors and in closets. I doubt they're all burned on the Tuesday, but basically a year later, yeah. 

I guess it seems easier to store ashes for a year, than the fronds? Like, burn them shortly after easter and store the ashes? But I guess it would work either way. 

They definitely burn the palms from last year to make the ashes. We once had a priest request families to bring them in time for him to burn them during religious ed classes. The kids enjoyed it. I am sure most did not know that's where the ashes come from before that.

Also, randomly, my mom says her diocese will be sprinkling ashes (instead of the usual cross on foreheads) this year due to the pandemic.

As for what we do for Fat Tuesday...we had pancakes for dinner. We did it solely for tradition; we do not give up dairy nor eggs for Lent. 

10 minutes ago, barnwife said:

They definitely burn the palms from last year to make the ashes. We once had a priest request families to bring them in time for him to burn them during religious ed classes. The kids enjoyed it. I am sure most did not know that's where the ashes come from before that.

Also, randomly, my mom says her diocese will be sprinkling ashes (instead of the usual cross on foreheads) this year due to the pandemic.

As for what we do for Fat Tuesday...we had pancakes for dinner. We did it solely for tradition; we do not give up dairy nor eggs for Lent. 

Oh, I know it is the ashes from Palm Sunday, I'm just confused now if they burn them right before Ash Wednesday or if they burn them right after Palm Sunday, or? (and realize now that the word Shrove has nothing to do with it - but in my defense, it sounds like a plant word, lol)

We made a King Cake and had pancakes for dinner. The kids handed out Mardi Gras beads at swim practice. Tomorrow we will get a drive through ashes. My priest is using new gloves for each person so we can still have crosses rather than get sprinkled.  

10 hours ago, Amy Gen said:

We made a King Cake and had pancakes for dinner. The kids handed out Mardi Gras beads at swim practice. Tomorrow we will get a drive through ashes. My priest is using new gloves for each person so we can still have crosses rather than get sprinkled.  

We are picking up ashes to do to each other at home during an online service - service is at 7pm on Youtube if anyone wants/needs one to watch. (St. Michael's Orlando - Epsicopal Church)

They are doing an indoor, inperson service because Florida, but we will be doing the youtube live version with our to-go ashes.