Menu

POLL: Spelling

mommy25

What spelling curriculum do you use?  

1. 1. What spelling curriculum do you use?

• Spelling Workout
    • Spelling Power
    • All About Spelling
    • Natural Speller
    • Sequential Spelling
    • Megawords
    • Through the use of copywork and dictation
    • Do not use spelling program
    • other

For average speller son:

- Did NOT work: Spelling Workout; Spelling Power

- DID work: make our own spelling, using ABCs and All Their Tricks

For struggling speller son:

- Did NOT work: Spelling Workout; Spelling Power; Sonlight 1 & 2; Sequential Spelling -- tried it when he was too young)

- DID work: Stevenson Blue Spelling Manual (for very visual explanation of vowel patterns/sounds)

- DOES work:

1. Megawords

2. individualized spelling (using ABCs and All Their Tricks, Natural Speller)

3. specific practice techniques (daily oral/out loud practice; 2x/week roots/endings and homophone practice on whiteboard; 1-2x/ week dictation practice)

I use R&S spelling for third grade. I honestly believe spelling is best learned incidentally rather than in formal teaching. Not always. But my dd is an ok speller so I figure I won't stress her out too much and she will learn as we read and write. At this stage she loves her spelling tests/lists because she is not overwhelmed. Sequential spelling looks appealing to me and I may try it after the current curriculum.

Before the days of internet in this house we used Spelling Workout. I liked how it combines spelling with human interest stories (it was good practice for standardized testing).

Oldest child is an excellent speller and never had trouble with the subject.

Decided I needed something more streamlined now that I'm homeschooling 3 so we found Spellingcity.com. You can make your own lists or use one of theirs. There are games and a "teach me" function that my children appreciate.

Abeka (especially in the younger grades) has always been a great fit for our family. I love that it introduces the spelling rules, and reinforces the special sounds of the phonics program, and that it's a work book program. Personally, if I had learned to spell this way spelling woud NOT have been such a horrible experience for me (the rules and sounds works best for me, versus word families)

Calvert Spelling works great for my natural speller. But it's real value for us was with my mildly dyslexic 12 yo. I had begun to think this kid would be one of those people who never learns to spell, but Calvert worked like a magic pill for her after several other programs flopped (SWO, SWR, dictation, visual methods described in Right Brained Children in a Left Brained World).

ETA: We use the old spelling CD's. I haven't used the new ones, so I don't know what the differences are or whether the new program would have been effective with my struggling speller.

Edited by LizzyBee

I honestly believe spelling is best learned incidentally rather than in formal teaching. Not always.

For natural spellers maybe. Not for struggling spellers. They need seqeuntial systematic incremental and often multisensory spelling that includes the rules......fe, AAS or another O-G program

:)

k

For natural spellers maybe. Not for struggling spellers. They need seqeuntial systematic incremental and often multisensory spelling that includes the rules......fe, AAS or another O-G program

:)

k

I absolutely agree with you. Sorry if my statement was not as clear as it should have been.

Spelling Power

Spectrum Spelling

Schonell Spelling (a NZ program)

& Sequential Spelling

Of all of the above, only Sequential Spelling has shown significant inprovement in my dc's spelling. I use Sequential Spelling for Adults with my 16yod & Sequential Spelling with my 2ds. Ds#2 does enjoy dictations as well, but I still use SS as well. It only takes 5-10 minutes each daily & is non-consumable. SS gives both British & American spellings for words that differ, a big plus for my dc living here in NZ.

JMHO,

The main program I use is Sequential Spelling, which is wonderful. We use it starting in 2nd grade.

Tweaks: for my natural speller, SS just got too easy - I would've just dropped spelling for her, but she wanted something because it makes her feel good about herself to have schoolwork she knows she's good at. She's using Spelling Wisdom now.

For her twin sister who used to be a spelling disaster, SS is perfect. She improved a ton with SS in a short time, and we're still happily using it without needing any more or less.

For my youngest, SS has been very good but I was still seeing many errors in her writing outside of spelling lessons (though she could frequently spell the word for me if I pointed out it was wrong). For her I've added copywork and dictation with WWE to help spelling in context, and continue with SS to teach patterns/rules.

I have used so many programs for spelling. I have two struggling spellers and two more natural spellers.

What didn't work for the struggling spellers: Sequential Spelling (no ability to transfer learning into real writing), R&S spelling (had to drop back several grade levels to find lists he could spell), and BJU spelling (same issue with the lists).

What did work for the struggling spellers: Spelling Power (somewhat, but not enough for me to continue with it), copywork and dictation (spelling score on standardized test jumped from "low" to "average") and AAS (my oldest did not use this but my young struggler is using this and it is working well).

My more natural speller (the younger one) does fine with AAS, so my opinion is that it is good for all spelling types. My older natural speller isn't using anything right now, but she would be fine with any program.

Jennie