Menu

What to eat with roasted veggies (vegan, gluten free)?

Jenny in Florida

My husband randomly said last week that a pan of roasted veggies sounded good, so we added it to our meal list for this week. 

Now I'm looking at the list, though, and thinking that we should eat something a little more dense alongside them. I'm specifically thinking it would be a good idea to include something more protein-ish. 

We are vegetarian/vegan (me totally vegan, husband leaning that way), and I am gluten free. We're not tofu fans. 

It's just the two of us, and we both work full time, meaning easy is also a priority.

So, suggestions?

Yep, chickpeas for protein.  I also saw recently someone extolling the virtues of crispy roasted white beans, though I haven't tried it yet. And yes for gluten-free grains like quinoa.  (I used to hate quinoa, as it tasted like eating fresh-mown grass to me. Then I realized how it takes on other flavors so beautifully; now I love it.)

Here's an example of a grain bowl that looks good to me and could be used as a sort of formula:  https://www.loveandlemons.com/grain-bowl/

Edited by marbel

We also serve them as a side with pretty much any entree.  One entree I like that is vegan and gluten free is portabella pizza mushrooms, sometimes we do tomato sauce and offer vegan cheese it our vegan friend is here.  I have also made a vegan spinach artichoke dip with a cashew base that is a good pizza sauce sub.  

• Like 1

I’m basically echoing everyone else, but I just wanted to add another vote for quinoa and chickpeas. I especially like to take a bed of greens, add a scoop of cooked tri-color quinoa, top with the roasted veggies, and put a bit of dressing of choice over it. The quinoa takes on the taste of the dressing and it’s so yummy!

Two of my favorite vegan meals, which I eat pretty much every week:

Roast cauliflower florets and cubed sweet potatoes with olive oil, cumin, curry powder, and turmeric. Sauté a bag of mixed greens (I use a mix of baby spinach, kale, and chard) in olive or avocado oil with lots of garlic and a can of drained chickpeas or other beans. Season to taste. Serve over quinoa, sprinkle with hemp seeds, and drizzle with lemon tahini sauce. The quinoa, chickpeas, hemp seeds, and tahini all add protein.

Roast asparagus (or broccoli), sliced red/yellow/orange peppers, and cherry tomatoes with olive oil and lemon-rosemary sea salt. Sauté crimini or portobello mushrooms in olive oil with garlic and Italian herbs until almost done, then stir in a can of drained cannellini beans and marinated artichoke hearts cut in quarters. When those are warmed through, add arugula and stir just until wilted but still bright green. Boil and drain some quinoa-based pasta (I use Trader Joe's quinoa & brown rice rotini), and combine the roasted vegetables, the sautéed mushrooms, beans, artichokes, and arugula, and the pasta in a large bowl and toss to combine. Season to taste, and add a bit more olive oil if needed. Top with fresh basil, toasted pine nuts, and regular or vegan parmesan.

• Like 1