Menu

Dr Hive: Removable protection (hardshell?) for broken finger? Need help!

Spy Car

On the last day of school of this semester, my son--who is in a challenging program--has been dreaming of nothing but being liberated from the daily grind and he's dreamed about having more time on his skateboard both alone and in socially distanced meetups with friends. This has been his one virtual social activity for a child who thrives on social interaction.

So he fractures his finger. Doctors say no skateboarding for one month.

That can't happen. Our compromise will be no tricks, no fips, grinds, stairs, rails, etc.

Only the most basic transportational type skating so he can tag his posse.

I'm going the buddy finger taping thing.

I'm wondering, is there such a thing as a hard shelled hand protector he could slid on, to help protect from a fall?

Or similar?

Bill

7 minutes ago, klmama said:

Unfortunately, I don't know of anything, but his determination to ride reminds me of the neighbor boy I saw riding his skateboard with BOTH arms in casts.  Even with that limitation, he was amazing.  

It would be human cruelty on my part if I forbade him entirely--which I might in other circumstances, or with a different child.

He's good on a board and is unlikely to fall if he's not doing tricks.

I'd just prefer a little protection, as a precaution. I expected to find what I have in my mind's eye very easily. Not the case. 

Bill

Just now, TheReader said:

Yeah, and we had one of those. I was thinking of a thin hard case with foam inside that a hand could drop into, like a "cast" that was cut-away that covered pinkie through middle fingers.

Like a tortilla folded into a taco shape (sort of).

Bill

1 minute ago, Spy Car said:

Yeah, and we had one of those. I was thinking of a thin hard case with foam inside that a hand could drop into, like a "cast" that was cut-away that covered pinkie through middle fingers.

Bill

Maybe you could fashion something using pvc pipe? find the right diameter at the hardware store, cut it in half (so it doesn't go all the way around), and use velcro fixed to the pipe, wrapped around, that he can use to fasten to his hand/fingers? 

3 minutes ago, SusanC said:

What about one of the aluminum splints? Like this one. Better than just buddy taping, but not much, maybe.

That's not a terrible idea. Minimalistic.

My one concern is landing wrongly and pushing the splinted finger back (which is what caused the fracture in the first place).

Bill

2 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Maybe you could fashion something using pvc pipe? find the right diameter at the hardware store, cut it in half (so it doesn't go all the way around), and use velcro fixed to the pipe, wrapped around, that he can use to fasten to his hand/fingers? 

I'm leaning towards a liner, gauze, and plaster of paris, and perhaps a rubber exterior strip (on bottom, pinky to wrist) and making a slip-on half cast.

Bill

Some boys . . . There's a young man at church who lost his leg in an accident.  He trashed so many prosthetic legs skiing, etc. . . .  His parents weren't' amused at the bills he incurred.  (his mother had been hoping the accident would have slowed him down.  nope.)

which finger? (some will be easier than others) I too thought about the finger splint that goes completely over the finger - and definitely do budding finger splinting.  you may have to make something yourself - just make sure the finger is completely immobile if it gets jarred, and protected if he hits it.

Here's a finger splint

and a buddy brace

My dsil fractured a finger, and it was only a tiny piece of bone that splintered off, but . . .  A few days later he had a dr check it out.  They were looking at having to do surgery (put screw in it) if it didn't heal properly.   Not to be taken lightly.

Hello

Happy to answer your question - except - not all fractures are created nor treated equally 🙂

May I ask what is the type of fracture he sustained?

Type. Spiral, transverse, avulsion

The terms don’t really matter but a description of what you saw on the X-ray or what the MD told you would be most helpful.

Cheers

It sounds like what you are describing as wanting is a resting hand splint (with finger straps). 

https://www.amazon.com/REAQER-WristThumb-Immobilizer-Tendinitis-Dislocation/dp/B07K8MWGD6/ref=pd_lpo_121_t_1/133-8230876-3868018?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07K8MWGD6&pd_rd_r=eba8b212-71ca-4a0f-8563-1296060a4996&pd_rd_w=fHEf8&pd_rd_wg=X1IdZ&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=0TYJ66N88Q00ES2KJPWQ&psc=1&refRID=0TYJ66N88Q00ES2KJPWQ

It's not a hardshell, and it does more than you want, but it would keep fingers from being displaced.

Edited by prairiewindmomma

Years ago my father mangled his finger in a work place accident it, it went through the chain digging part of a trench digger. It had to be reconstructed. He wore a metal brace over it for quite a while. It was a thin flat bit of metal about the width of 3 fingers. It hooked over his fingers and went back to his wrist on the outside of his hand. It had a very thin layer of foam on the inside. The hook over part went down as long as his fingers and didn't restrict wrist movement. 

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

Some boys . . . There's a young man at church who lost his leg in an accident.  He trashed so many prosthetic legs skiing, etc. . . .  His parents weren't' amused at the bills he incurred.  (his mother had been hoping the accident would have slowed him down.  nope.)

which finger? (some will be easier than others) I too thought about the finger splint that goes completely over the finger - and definitely do budding finger splinting.  you may have to make something yourself - just make sure the finger is completely immobile if it gets jarred, and protected if he hits it.

Here's a finger splint

and a buddy brace

My dsil fractured a finger, and it was only a tiny piece of bone that splintered off, but . . .  A few days later he had a dr check it out.  They were looking at having to do surgery (put screw in it) if it didn't heal properly.   Not to be taken lightly.

Ring finger fractured buddied to middle finger (probably not fractured). 

Wife picked up a kit that included one of those domed metal splints.

He's taped up and off to skate with the homies. School is out!

And so is basic common sense  :tongue:

Bill

Spoiler

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kand said:

This might be embarrassing for him, but what came to my mind was a boxing glove. The newer ones are more streamlined, but would prevent one finger from being bent back. It would rely on him being able to bend the distal joints of his fingers, though:

https://www.amazon.com/Liberlupus-Gradients-Teenagers-Punching-Kickboxing/dp/B08DXZ1PWS/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=boxing+glove&link_code=qs&qid=1608243252&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-8&tag=mozilla-20

We may have  a glove that could work. Good idea. 

Bill

Hi Bill

Sounds from your description of where and the treatment the worst case scenario is it is what we call in the business a “green stick” fracture provided he is a young enough age (hopefully the doc has not mistaken the artery tract in the bone for a fracture, I used to get a lot of those referrals :)). So the name of the game is not turning a green stick into a regular fracture. If the “break is in the “middle bone, or the bone closest to the palm, of the ring finger then you ca cross buddy tape to both the middle and little finger. If the break is in the distal bone (with the nail) then only buddy taping to the middle will do.

Buddy taping controls movements side to side and back to front however our fingers also move in another direction which is advisable to control. Our fingers undergo a rotation as we grip an object. Close your fingers into a fist and you will see what I mean. As a result you want to control the rotational strain a typical young athlete will place on the fingers. To do this you need to prevent him from being able to grip when he is involved in sport. This typically takes the form of a wrist splint extended to the fingers. Regrettably most gloves still allow for some component of grip.

Just my 1/2 sent worth to add to the mix.

Cheers

Craig

• Like 2

You seem to have a plan in place. I hope it heals fast!!!  Definitely take the healing process seriously!

DD14 currently has a broken finger. The ring finger on her right hand. She broke it 6 weeks ago, and it was supposed to be buddy taped to the next finger. After the first 2 weeks, she kept taking the tape off. One thing I didn't think of, was that since the finger was already injured it made it less stable. Due to that....she broke it again 3 weeks later. It wasn't even healed all the way, and she broke it worse. One of the first breaks healed, but 2 months after the first injury, she still has 3 breaks The 2nd fracture is an avulsion fracture and she has a simple little figure 8 splint. She was doing good with leaving the splint on, then one night about week 3, it fell off in her sleep. This allowed her to bend her finger all night and reinjured it again. I really wish I would have pushed that buddy taping in the beginning!!!! 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, wintermom said:

Do you have access to an occupational therapist? My ds broke his pinky finger a couple years ago and the OT make him a custom sized splint that kept the finger protected and immobilized. It was perfect.

Still might be worth trying the big city for a hand clinic. I strained (technical term) my hand this summer and had several almost nonfunctional fingers. They created a special wrapped splint with velcro and molded plastic. They can immobilize exactly what they want and nothing more. In your case, it doesn't even sound like they want it immobilized but you want protection. But I think they could do that. They wrapped the moldable film around my hand and then cut it away. It was probably $600 for that visit (ouch!), but it worked great. I think you might need a visit with an orthopedist doctor as the gate keeper to getting that OT/custom appointment. And maybe that's not even what they'd do, but I'm just saying hand clinic in big city is how you'd find that out.

To find that in our state, you look for orthopedic doctors and then there are BIG PRACTICES that have specialized docs, so you see an orthopedist that only does hands. Then they have nurse practitioners, a hand clinic of OTs, etc. and it's all just hands. And astonishingly, in our big city they had *several* of these hand clinics. I guess we injure hands a lot! 

Is there some kind of protection skateboarders wear in general as they age and acquire injuries? Also, if he's that set on it, is it possible he's meeting sensory needs that he could meet alternate ways as well? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I'm not finding anything.

I'm almost thinking of making a removable half-cast from plaster of paris.

Bill

The OTs at hand clinics make stuff. My injury included my wrist, so mine went down my arm. However as it healed, they cut away. They can customize like that. They don't want to immobilize unnecessarily because then you need OT/exercises to regain function. 

I'm not saying they'd do it for your ds, because I know diddley about finger breaks. But that's where you'd be asking, at a hand clinic.

IMG_9489.thumb.jpeg.e4f71e0870f71d8ebbe27282418b1f14.jpeg

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

The OTs at hand clinics make stuff. My injury included my wrist, so mine went down my arm. However as it healed, they cut away. They can customize like that. They don't want to immobilize unnecessarily because then you need OT/exercises to regain function. 

I'm not saying they'd do it for your ds, because I know diddley about finger breaks. But that's where you'd be asking, at a hand clinic.

IMG_9489.thumb.jpeg.e4f71e0870f71d8ebbe27282418b1f14.jpeg

Yes, this is exactly the kind of personalized splint that OT can do. It's amazing to watch them in action. We had the option of paying more for pretty colours, but ds didn't care. They can also tell you exactly how to buddy tape fingers, what material to use, etc. They are a wealth of information. 

OTs work with animals, too, which I found fascinating. I wish I knew about this profession as I would have loved it. It's like creating tools to help people function in their lives instead of the standard (probably true but impossible) "don't move or do anything" for x weeks. 😉

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wintermom said:

We had the option of paying more for pretty colours, but ds didn't care.

Hehe, all the colors of plastic and velcro were the same price at this clinic. I thought about purple splint with bright pink velcro, but then I embraced my middle age and went a little calmer, still chic. :biggrin:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

That is what they made for my mom's mangled hand after her accident.  It was custom made by the PT though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beth S said:

Seems like you've got a good solution with the finger guard & buddy taping.
We had these gloves, with the metal on the palm, for roller-blading.

https://www.amazon.com/MILAEM-Handguards-Protective-Skateboard-Snowboard/dp/B0873WSX4R

He could "fall" onto his palm, & "save" his finger from the full impact.
(And it's not super "uncool".)

Thanks. Thinking about some of these.

Blll

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Yes, this is exactly the kind of personalized splint that OT can do. It's amazing to watch them in action. We had the option of paying more for pretty colours, but ds didn't care. They can also tell you exactly how to buddy tape fingers, what material to use, etc. They are a wealth of information. 

OTs work with animals, too, which I found fascinating. I wish I knew about this profession as I would have loved it. It's like creating tools to help people function in their lives instead of the standard (probably true but impossible) "don't move or do anything" for x weeks. 😉

We'd go into the Hand Clinic in ordinary times--but the doctor said this was an easy "buddy system" fracture and the pandemic is raging here and we are in a hot spot.

Thanks also to @PeterPan for the photos.

Bill

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tap said:

You seem to have a plan in place. I hope it heals fast!!!  Definitely take the healing process seriously!

DD14 currently has a broken finger. The ring finger on her right hand. She broke it 6 weeks ago, and it was supposed to be buddy taped to the next finger. After the first 2 weeks, she kept taking the tape off. One thing I didn't think of, was that since the finger was already injured it made it less stable. Due to that....she broke it again 3 weeks later. It wasn't even healed all the way, and she broke it worse. One of the first breaks healed, but 2 months after the first injury, she still has 3 breaks The 2nd fracture is an avulsion fracture and she has a simple little figure 8 splint. She was doing good with leaving the splint on, then one night about week 3, it fell off in her sleep. This allowed her to bend her finger all night and reinjured it again. I really wish I would have pushed that buddy taping in the beginning!!!! 😞

Are we related?

Bill