Menu

Sheet set - Trigger warning, sick child

Meriwether

We had a pretty devastating week. My just turned 18 year old niece had a seizure. At the hospital they found a large mass/tumor on her brain. Her parents brought her home, and she will have more testing next week. But, regardless of what the test shows, she will need surgery. While they were gone, I got her room ready for her (a brother had moved in). She could use new sheets, especially since she will be in bed a lot over the next couple of months. Her parents can easily afford new sheets for her, but they will obviously be thinking about bigger issues. And I'd like to do something, even a very small something, to make her more comfortable.

So I am looking for recommendations for a comfortable, high-quality, washable (there might be more seizures with blood?) sheet set. I am willing to spend more than I typically would on sheets, but I would put more emphasis on comfort and durability than fanciness.

• Sad 17

I'm so sorry about your niece...  I pray it's something that can be taken care of and forgotten about. 

I think buying her a new sheet set is such a lovely idea!  I don't have a particular brand to recommend, but if she lives in a cold climate (with winter coming), I might suggest a flannel set.   They're so soft and cozy.   I find that in flannel, different brands make a big difference.  A good quality flannel washes well and remains soft.  I might start by looking at a department store like Macy's...  They often have really good sales.  

When a family member returned from the hospital and had some bleeding issues, I also bought a good mattress pad.  It was flannel on top, but waterproof underneath.  I just tried to find where I ordered it from, but can't seem to find that information.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I'm so sorry about your niece...  I pray it's something that can be taken care of and forgotten about. 

I think buying her a new sheet set is such a lovely idea!  I don't have a particular brand to recommend, but if she lives in a cold climate (with winter coming), I might suggest a flannel set.   They're so soft and cozy.   I find that in flannel, different brands make a big difference.  A good quality flannel washes well and remains soft.  I might start by looking at a department store like Macy's...  They often have really good sales.  

When a family member returned from the hospital and had some bleeding issues, I also bought a good mattress pad.  It was flannel on top, but waterproof underneath.  I just tried to find where I ordered it from, but can't seem to find that information.

Thank you. I will look at mattress pads, too. They live in an area that can get cold, but not very before November. We hope and pray she'll be recovering well by then. We know very little about it yet and the doctor said "it could be anything". But we do know it is slow growing and the location at least doesn't eliminate the possibility that it is between the skull and brain and not really into brain tissue. We have no guarantees at this point, but at least the little we know doesn't eliminate the possibility of it being benign.

Edited by Meriwether
  • Like 1

Just to give a bit of hope-  The son of a close friend collapsed and had a seizure at work one day. At the hospital, they discovered a large mass/tumor and he went into surgery.  It was a massive pocket of infection that traveled to a certain area of his brain.  Once he recovered from the surgery, he had no issues from it . 

A good mattress pad and soft sheets.  Costco has a wonderful mattress pad right now that is waterproof and has a fluffy cotton top.  For sheets, we love bamboo and tshirt sheets.  Kohl’s has some excellent tshirt/jersey sheets on sale.  

• Like 2

My experience—flannel is harder to wash stains out of because of the tuftedness of it.  A waterproof mattress pad is essential.  And, American Blossom sheets are wonderful—they are made in the US from cotton grown in the US.  They even have organic ones that grow in a tan color!  Super special.  I’m delighted with mine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Just to give a bit of hope-  The son of a close friend collapsed and had a seizure at work one day. At the hospital, they discovered a large mass/tumor and he went into surgery.  It was a massive pocket of infection that traveled to a certain area of his brain.  Once he recovered from the surgery, he had no issues from it . 

A good mattress pad and soft sheets.  Costco has a wonderful mattress pad right now that is waterproof and has a fluffy cotton top.  For sheets, we love bamboo and tshirt sheets.  Kohl’s has some excellent tshirt/jersey sheets on sale.  

In retrospect, we are sure she has had symptoms for about 4 years and the mass has calcification. I don't have a Costco where I live, but my Dad has a membership, so I can look online.

22 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

Praying for your niece. 

The sheets sound like a wonderful and kind idea.  I'll second the idea of a good waterproof mattress pad.

We have been very happy with the flannel sheets from The Vermont Country Store; we were given a set as Christmas gift-- LOVE those sheets.  Soft, strong, and holding up well after 3 years of use.

Thank you for praying. My niece is handling this exceptionally well, mostly because she has faith that God is in control. (I do not want to debate God with anyone in this thread. We know she could die from this, but we take great comfort from our faith.)

• Like 8

On 9/12/2020 at 11:41 AM, Meriwether said:

Thank you for praying. My niece is handling this exceptionally well, mostly because she has faith that God is in control. (I do not want to debate God with anyone in this thread. We know she could die from this, but we take great comfort from our faith.)

Deleted for privacy -- thank you.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

9 minutes ago, J-rap said:

My dh currently has a brain infection that he could die from.  Our faith changes so much, and I take huge comfort in that!

I am so sorry that your husband has a brain infection. I saw a comment you made on a technology thread, but I don't remember the details. Is the infection the source of his trouble or a side effect?

Edited by Meriwether

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

I am a huge fan of Target's sheets. They are soft, but very durable. I had one set that lasted for over ten years.  Opal House is the set that I have and on their website they have many different prints and styles.

I went with one of the Opal House sets in percale. If it looks like recovery/treatment will take longer than one surgery, I will also get a set of flannel, possibly from the Vermont Country Store. I also got a new mattress pad. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

• Like 4

When dd had mono at college I bought her this set of light flannel and she loves it. Most were more holidayish, but they may have other styles.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WGHLS5T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, dd had a good friend who lost her mom during the school year and I sent her one of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VTZSJ3Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm so sorry she has to go through this. Prayers for healing for her and wisdom for her doctors. 

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I am a huge fan of Target's sheets. They are soft, but very durable. I had one set that lasted for over ten years.  Opal House is the set that I have and on their website they have many different prints and styles.

AND - they LABEL THE CORNERS!!!!!! I'm a target sheet buyer for life because of that! No more getting it half on and realizing it was turned the wrong way!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Meriwether said:

I am so sorry that your husband has a brain infection. I saw a comment you made on a technology thread, but I don't remember the details. Is the infection the source of his trouble or a side effect?

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread...  I only meant that I understand the part that faith plays!   I can't remember my other post..  🤔  But this would be a really flukey  and totally unexpected side-effect.

I’m so sorry this is happening.

I don’t have any specifics to recommend, but thought I’d throw in that I’m a huge fan of multi-layering.  With waterproof sheets in between multiple layers of regular sheets, quick changes are SO much less stressful.  When sheets wet through to the waterproof layer, there’s still that to clean, whether wiping down plastic or machine washing terry-top.  If there’s a whole other set or two below, there’s always a fully clean bed to immediately slip back into while someone takes care of the soiled sheets and protector.

(This not only worked well when I had nighttime wetters, but it’s great for my kid who gets bloody noses and my kid who sleeps with our dog.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update on my niece: She had multiple MRI's and a consultation with the neurosurgeon. He doesn't think it is cancer and it is treatable. It will cause some brain damage, but he said he can enter at a certain spot (my sister couldn't remember the name) and the damage would be minimal and wouldn't affect her in day to day life. I may still get her the flannel sheets, but she will hopefully be back in the swing of things before cold weather hits.

• Like 18