Menu

The Rock, and why I’m sick of being considered overly cautious

Carrie12345

16 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

Can we imagine what Thanksgiving and Christmas will be like? How about Halloween?

I know; I have already floated the thought that we won’t be having our usual big family Christmas and TGiving this year. I said this to my BIL, while talking about the new babies in the family by then. I said something like, “Too bad we won’t likely be seeing the babies for Christmas; maybe next Christmas, which will be fun when they are toddling around...” I’m trying to get that idea out there so it is already known that I don’t think big family Christmas can happen this year. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Yes. This is what I've been thinking -- it's so miserably hot right now in my area. I can't wait for fall/winter, so we can go outside. 

It has been so hot and smoky here’s I can’t wait till cold weather comes.  We are in CO and winter is so wonderful (we aren’t skiers).  It’s all about gear IMHO

We've already arranged to see my mom at a rented house and to all get tested beforehand for Thanksgiving. And to use the lack of Nutcracker to go see our in laws and walk around empty college campuses on the way around Christmas - also with all of us getting tested.

After the debacle of trying to organize to see my brother, I may actually go down to see my mom and step-sibs and nephew. I can get tested and stay with my mom and see them outside. They've all been taking such good precautions that I am way less worried.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

My daughter's test came back negative, but she has the symptoms, including loss of taste.  It seems there are two likely explanations: false negative or another yet to be determined illness.

One of my colleagues had 3 negative CV-19 tests before finally testing positive. She had most of the “classic” symptoms, including loss of taste, prior to testing positive. She was also admitted to the hospital during the course of her illness. In fact, that was where she finally tested positive.

(And can I say that it seems weird writing about classic symptoms in a novel virus.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

A part of me wishes I could be that person.  I was sort of raised as that person, spending plenty of weekends camping (in a trailer with electricity, heat, and hot water!), spending all day running around, sledding, skating, and warming up at the campfire, but it just did not stick.  Which is kind of crazy, considering I live in a ski resort area, lol. Now I get annoyed with having to bundle up to shovel the driveway.

My family is used to near-hibernating during the +/- 6 months of winter, so we have that, but it will definitely be harder than usual after losing our entire spring, summer, and fall.

Have you tried any of the newer technical cold weather clothes?  I’m hearing great things about the base layers that are wicking material so you stay warm but don’t get clammy.  Also, Costco has Uggs knockoffs for like $30, and at the price I’m willing to wear them outside in the muck, unlike actual Uggs that are so expensive that they are mostly for sitting in front of the fire looking like you just came inside but never actually going outside.  The Costco ones are nice and warm.  Costco also sometimes has very inexpensive winter jackets.  I got a puffy coat there some years back for just $20, and it’s fantastic because it keeps me warm, it has big enough pockets for my cell phone and keys, and I can treat it badly without feeling like I have to preserve it, so it’s up for grabs for kneeling on in the slush to put chains on the car, and then throw into the wash machine when I get home.  

• Like 2

This is both pathetic and funny. You know how Google tracks your phone and then you'll get an email at the end of the month showing all the places you've been? I got one today for August. It said "You've been to one city and two locations!" The two locations were the library and a small nearby strip mall where DD does her one activity outside in the parking lot. Oh the memories! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Even Google probably thinks I'm being too cautious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

My daughter's test came back negative, but she has the symptoms, including loss of taste.  It seems there are two likely explanations: false negative or another yet to be determined illness.

Could she message her primary health care provider and let them know that she has symptoms and the test was negative? They might bring her in for another test.

• Like 1

Just now, mathnerd said:

Could she message her primary health care provider and let them know that she has symptoms and the test was negative? They might bring her in for another test.

She did drive through testing. 

Her husband is now showing symptoms tonight.

They've been over the entire afternoon every Sunday for a couple of years now.  We're all part of a quaranteam. I think we'll all need to be tested.  The rest of us don't have any symptoms yet.

• Sad 10

On 9/3/2020 at 8:19 AM, JanOH said:

I understand!  My mother is insisting on a Labor Day family get-together.  When I expressed my caution, first my mom responded that she is watching everyone else in their neighborhood and group of friends having big get-togethers and she doesn't understand why  we can't and then my brother responded that he's been going to graduation parties, everyone stay apart and it's been no big deal.  They live in a rural county that has a very low, but growing, covid rate.

I suggested that if she wants to have a gathering that we only do half the family (if everyone comes we are looking at about 50 people).  She didn't like that.  I asked how she was planning to handle this meal and she is planning for the food to be served from the garage and everyone to be outside.  I told her we would consider coming for a while but that everyone there needed to agree to the social distancing requirements.  I have received no answer.  We haven't seen them since February or so.  They live two hours away.  We live in an area that has been going "red" off and on plus we have a lot of exposure because of teens, sports, school and work.

I'm so over this!  I'm at the point of praying that someone in our immediate family gets a cold or something so we'll have an excuse not to go.  My mother is VERY vulnerable.  She gets pneumonia everytime she catches anything.  She's had a mitro-valve replacement so she's on blood thinners, has high blood pressure and diabetes (that she ignores).  But I'm the bad guy in the family because I'm trying to protect her.

If she wants to see people can you all put her on vitamin supplement prophylaxis (D, Zinc, quercetin, liposomal C in moderate doses (3K daily) and NAC) and then go see her?  None of those would hurt her, she should be taking them regularly throughout this pandemic, and they would really help lessen the severity of she were to get ill.  The point is to keep her out of the hospital, if she does get sick.  Everyone of those supplements is widely studied and shown to be beneficial in respiratory illnesses including ARDS.  When MedCram, Dr. Marik, Dr. John Campbell, Dr Mobeen Syed and other doctors are doing YouTube videos showing the journal references and explaining the biochemistry and cell biology behind these, I'm inclined to listen.   If she needs to be scared into listening to you and downing the pills, I'd do it.  I told my husband that if he is hospitalized, they will not allow me to be there with him and he'll be on his own for the duration other than getting Facetime or video calls--he relies on me for patient advocacy--so that's why we are doing what we're doing.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Quill said:

I know; I have already floated the thought that we won’t be having our usual big family Christmas and TGiving this year. I said this to my BIL, while talking about the new babies in the family by then. I said something like, “Too bad we won’t likely be seeing the babies for Christmas; maybe next Christmas, which will be fun when they are toddling around...” I’m trying to get that idea out there so it is already known that I don’t think big family Christmas can happen this year. 

If you are the host, you should probably start saying it very plainly be the end of September (that you might not have it). People will think it's a horrible imposition and impossible to plan something else if you wait till November. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

We had a lady walk inot our office, get temperature checked, she tested feverish three times, and when I asked her to step outside into the outer waiting area, she ran for the door, yelling over her shoulder that she had tested negative for SARS-COV2 two days prior.  She didn't show up to the class she was picking up her textbook for, so the teacher called to see if she had picked up her materials, and then later called me to tell me she was down with CV.   I wear an N95 daily, and on that occasion I was blessing it instead of cursing it.

• Sad 7

3 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

We had a lady walk inot our office, get temperature checked, she tested feverish three times, and when I asked her to step outside into the outer waiting area, she ran for the door, yelling over her shoulder that she had tested negative for SARS-COV2 two days prior.   

Weird. Was she yelling in a negative way, like I tested negative and I'm annoyed with you! Or more like, crap, I tested negative but I must have it, sorry!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, katilac said:

Weird. Was she yelling in a negative way, like I tested negative and I'm annoyed with you! Or more like, crap, I tested negative but I must have it, sorry!

She was upset, embarrassed as heck, and rather plaintive, as in "I JUST tested negative two days ago!!!"  She wasn't annoyed or sorry for me, more frustrated.  I came hold and told hubby about it, and his immediate question, like mine throughout the afternoon, was, "Why was she tested two days ago?!?"  Maybe it was routine testing, but she registered high three times in a row, 100.9, 100.7 and 99.9 on the other hand. (Hands/wrists generally run in the 96/97 for about 80% of people. in my experience.)  We test hands because you aren't infrared-ing the pineal gland, and it enable us to keep 6 feet. If you do someone's head, you have to be 3 feet.  (We were instructed to do that by two doctors in our congregation.) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

This is both pathetic and funny. You know how Google tracks your phone and then you'll get an email at the end of the month showing all the places you've been? I got one today for August. It said "You've been to one city and two locations!" The two locations were the library and a small nearby strip mall where DD does her one activity outside in the parking lot. Oh the memories! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Even Google probably thinks I'm being too cautious.

No. I have never gotten an email like this and would be seriously freaked out if I did. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Have you tried any of the newer technical cold weather clothes?  I’m hearing great things about the base layers that are wicking material so you stay warm but don’t get clammy.  Also, Costco has Uggs knockoffs for like $30, and at the price I’m willing to wear them outside in the muck, unlike actual Uggs that are so expensive that they are mostly for sitting in front of the fire looking like you just came inside but never actually going outside.  The Costco ones are nice and warm.  Costco also sometimes has very inexpensive winter jackets.  I got a puffy coat there some years back for just $20, and it’s fantastic because it keeps me warm, it has big enough pockets for my cell phone and keys, and I can treat it badly without feeling like I have to preserve it, so it’s up for grabs for kneeling on in the slush to put chains on the car, and then throw into the wash machine when I get home.  

Technical gear makes all the difference . I wear merino wool baselayers through the winter - the modern ones aren't itchy - Smartwool socks, breathable waterproof hiking trousers, a variety of breathable waterproof jackets, Gore-Tex hiking boots, ski gloves, merino snoods and various hats. We don't get temperatures as low as some N. American areas, but the higher humidity makes it feel pretty chilly. It all works. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, katilac said:

If you are the host, you should probably start saying it very plainly be the end of September (that you might not have it). People will think it's a horrible imposition and impossible to plan something else if you wait till November. 

Thankfully I hosted TGiving last year so it’s not my turn. But I think you are right.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

No. I have never gotten an email like this and would be seriously freaked out if I did. 

I haven’t ever gotten an email showing my locations but if you have locations turned on on your smart phone, it is tracking that. That is how Find my Phone and Find my Friends works, as well as Google Maps, photo info tagging, etc.  On my iPhone, it is found in the Privacy section of the Settings. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

she needs to test again. It's very common to test negative at first especially. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, katilac said:

My MIL wanted us to come to her house on Labor Day and eat some fried chicken outside. We’ve done this a couple of times. They clearly think we’re overreacting when we insist that we meet outside, but they go along with it so we can see each other.  

She said, “And if it rains, I guess we’ll all just come inside and sit 6 feet apart.” 

I said, “I don’t think we can do that. The reason we have to meet outside is that if we’re in a room together, we will be sharing the air and the germs.”

And she answered back all tetchy, “Well you’d better get thinking about what we’re going to do for Thanksgiving and Christmas then!”

Hoy boy.  Like I’m the one making up the rules on how respiratory illnesses spread.  😕

I’m not the host for Thanksgiving and Christmas, she is, but we’re a small family and so we 4 not being there is 1/3 of the family not being there.  There are only 11 of us total. 

Edited by Garga

2 hours ago, Garga said:

And she answered back all tetchy, “Well you’d better get thinking about what we’re going to do for Thanksgiving and Christmas then!”

Hoy boy.  Like I’m the one making up the rules on how respiratory illnesses spread.  😕

I’m not the host for Thanksgiving and Christmas, she is, but we’re a small family and so we 4 not being there is 1/3 of the family not being there.  There are only 11 of us total. 

Well, some years several of my adult siblings and a nephew travel out of state to see their in-laws and non-custodial parent and sometimes that happens for most of them the same year and our gathering is a fraction of what it usually is.  *Shrug* Sometimes life happens and it's a small gathering rather than a large gathering.  Both are perfectly valid ways to celebrate the holidays. MIL might need to be reminded of that.  It might take her a while to get used to the idea, so maybe letting her know now is a good idea. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Garga said:

My MIL wanted us to come to her house on Labor Day and eat some fried chicken outside. We’ve done this a couple of times. They clearly think we’re overreacting when we insist that we meet outside, but they go along with it so we can see each other.  

She said, “And if it rains, I guess we’ll all just come inside and sit 6 feet apart.” 

I said, “I don’t think we can do that. The reason we have to meet outside is that if we’re in a room together, we will be sharing the air and the germs.”

There are usually 7 of us at MILs for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We probably won't go this year because of the virus and politics. Three people out and I'm the one who does most of the cooking. 

Oh well, can't be helped. I'm not getting to see my FOO either.

On 9/3/2020 at 9:19 AM, JanOH said:

I understand!  My mother is insisting on a Labor Day family get-together.  When I expressed my caution, first my mom responded that she is watching everyone else in their neighborhood and group of friends having big get-togethers and she doesn't understand why  we can't and then my brother responded that he's been going to graduation parties, everyone stay apart and it's been no big deal.  They live in a rural county that has a very low, but growing, covid rate.

I suggested that if she wants to have a gathering that we only do half the family (if everyone comes we are looking at about 50 people).  She didn't like that.  I asked how she was planning to handle this meal and she is planning for the food to be served from the garage and everyone to be outside.  I told her we would consider coming for a while but that everyone there needed to agree to the social distancing requirements.  I have received no answer.  We haven't seen them since February or so.  They live two hours away.  We live in an area that has been going "red" off and on plus we have a lot of exposure because of teens, sports, school and work.

I'm so over this!  I'm at the point of praying that someone in our immediate family gets a cold or something so we'll have an excuse not to go.  My mother is VERY vulnerable.  She gets pneumonia everytime she catches anything.  She's had a mitro-valve replacement so she's on blood thinners, has high blood pressure and diabetes (that she ignores).  But I'm the bad guy in the family because I'm trying to protect her.

Just as a follow-up to my rant about my Mom's Labor Day picnic:. It went surprisingly well.  There were thunderstorms going through their area so we almost turned around but they have a very large garage and a barn so they set tables up in both places and we had a couple of canopies to extend the garage size.  There were only 20 people able to come.  Those who could sat at tables in family groups, and the rest sat in lawn chairs spread out under the tents.  When not eating everyone wore masks when inside the garage (which wasn't really inside because both big doors were up). The portion of the family that I thought might not be cooperative with the precautions didn't come so that wasn't an issue.  It was good to see everyone in as safe a way as we could make it.

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, JanOH said:

Just as a follow-up to my rant about my Mom's Labor Day picnic:. It went surprisingly well.  There were thunderstorms going through their area so we almost turned around but they have a very large garage and a barn so they set tables up in both places and we had a couple of canopies to extend the garage size.  There were only 20 people able to come.  Those who could sat at tables in family groups, and the rest sat in lawn chairs spread out under the tents.  When not eating everyone wore masks when inside the garage (which wasn't really inside because both big doors were up). The portion of the family that I thought might not be cooperative with the precautions didn't come so that wasn't an issue.  It was good to see everyone in as safe a way as we could make it.

Yay, I am glad it went so well and you had time with family. 

• Like 1