Menu

Help! I'm sick & need TV shows to watch

Alicia64

Sadly, I binge-watched (and loved) these already:

• Breaking Bad (I fast forward though the violence.)
  • Better Call Saul
  • Mad Men (Really enjoyed.)
  • Good Girls
  • Killing Eve
  • Mrs. Maisel (loved)

I love Elizabeth Moss, Christina Hendrix, and Jon Hamm. Better Call Saul was awesome -- again, I just forward through the violence.

Can you give me your recommendations? I just want to lay on the couch and watch something good.

TIA,

W.

For feel good with almost no gore: When Calls the Heart (many seasons) and Anne with an E — those two would be great for someone feeling under the weather. And Virgin River had an interesting storyline (I think it’s based on a novel). Hell on Wheels has some violence (which I fast forwarded through) and is definitely R rated for other reasons, so you could save that for when you’re feeling better. It’s a great show though. Same w/ The Witcher and Turn. Northern Rescue has a pretty good storyline but I like to watch shows w/ more than one season when I’m not feeling well, so you could wait on that one.

May I recommend two Korean shows on Netflix? They both have 16 episodes.

Crash Landing on You is lighthearted with some very funny scenes. 

My Mister is a masterpiece of a drama that is both devastating and healing at the same time.  I can't recommend this one highly enough.

Let me know if you want more details on any of them.

Edited by Malory
  • Like 2

I don't "love" shows anymore, I can't explain why.

But shows I did enjoy- Burn Notice, Psych, Monk, Kim's Convenience. I just finished binging Shitt's Creek and Working Moms.  Oh and I am on season 6 of House of Cards....I can't even comment on that, I just haven't processed it yet. Republic of Doyle is fun and easy

• Like 1

I just recently watched The Mill on Amazon. Not the best show I've ever seen but I have started to rate shows on how many times it takes me to get through an episode. The latest series of Grantchester was taking me 4 tries for each one so I don't rate that one very highly. The Mill though was keeping my attention throughout and I was watching each episode in full each time.

• Like 2

Jumping on to say thank you for all of these great show ideas. I want to share a surreal show I loved: The Russian Doll. It's only one season at this point.

It's similar to Ground Hog Day except it's much darker. It doesn't make full sense until towards the end. I really liked it.

My favorite author is South Korean.  She's only written two and they're both awesome: Pachinko and Free Food for Millionaires.

I watched Star Trek: the Next Gen when it first came out.

I've got to watch West Wing -- I hear it's excellent.

I won't miss Slow Burn!

Thank you for all of these great ideas!

W.

From what you've watched and enjoyed already, I'd suggest Homeland.  The last season just finished and I'll miss it!  Claire Danes is great.  I got a one week free membership on Showtime to watch the last season.  Other years I've been able to watch it on Amazon Prime.  I'm not sure where all it's available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Jumping on to say thank you for all of these great show ideas. I want to share a surreal show I loved: The Russian Doll. It's only one season at this point.

It's similar to Ground Hog Day except it's much darker. It doesn't make full sense until towards the end. I really liked it.

My favorite author is South Korean.  She's only written two and they're both awesome: Pachinko and Free Food for Millionaires.

I watched Star Trek: the Next Gen when it first came out.

I've got to watch West Wing -- I hear it's excellent.

I won't miss Slow Burn!

Thank you for all of these great ideas!

W.

LOVED that book.

I did a huge book-binge of books about Korea last year....

• Like 1

If you haven't watched Gilmore Girls, you need to!

I've just subscribed to BritBox (streaming service like Netflix). All English shows. About $6.99 a month, cancel anytime.

Some really awesome shows.

Feel better!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

Were there other books on Korea that you could recommend?

And thank you!

I liked White Chrysanthemum by Mary Lynn Bracht - was really hard to read, but gave me a piece of history I never knew about

The island of Sea Women  Lisa Lee. I am also reading Calligrapher's Daughter right now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

I liked White Chrysanthemum by Mary Lynn Bracht - was really hard to read, but gave me a piece of history I never knew about

The island of Sea Women  Lisa Lee. I am also reading Calligrapher's Daughter right now.

Awesome -- thank you!! I'm ordering now. I should have said: South Korea; I can't take the horrors of modern North. 😞

I loved reading in Pachinko how North and South came to be.

Thank you again!

W.

44 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

I just looked into these and they look fantastic -- thank you!!

W.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

I just looked into these and they look fantastic -- thank you!!

W.

Oh I am so glad, let me know what  you think when you read them. I learned so much!!

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I am a sucker for  book conversations!!!

• Like 1