Menu

How are you spending your Memorial Day?

klmama

Tackling my list.  😉  It's cloudy/ partly showery here but we get any sunbreaks later I will get out in the yard a bit to continue pruning hydrangea bushes.  I'm also plugging away at our summer camp paperwork (I am the director of a small Bible camp).  We will only  hold it if we reach phase 3 in our reopening plan by the date of camp but we have to plan nonetheless because it is impossible to pull together at the last minute. 

• Like 2

Ordinary stuff.

Met with my supervisor for my tutoring job to learn some new currciulum.

Trader Joe's for toothpaste. 

Graded some History for Dd.

Cleaned up the kitchen and got tortillas outcof the freezer. 

Ate leftovers. 

Nothing at all Memorial Day-ish. 

I worked in the yard a tiny bit. The family went to the park with the dog (I sprained my ankle Friday so none of that for me).  I tried to get some reading for history done. Then I started some laundry, did a workout that was safe for my ankle, and now I am trying to get the kids away from the screens to play a game. It started raining outside a couple hours ago or I would at least sit outside. 

Normally we would grill out around this time but there wasn't ground beef on sale like normal, so pork loin is on the menu tonight. 

It's a weird weekend for sure!

We went to the neighborhood pool. There were more people than Saturday when we literally had it all to ourselves, but they still hadn't reached their 25% occupancy limit and people were well spaced out. I googled around and found a bunch of epidemiologists and environment scientists who say that open air pools with chlorinated water are relatively safe and we really wanted to swim again.

We cooked out yesterday, today's a fajita family pack from Torchy's. We've had a nice, festive weekend while remaining reasonably safe.

It’s been beautiful here lately so I’ve been spending all my time in the garden and neglecting the house. Today is cooler and cloudy, so it’s get-stuff-done day. Laundry,  vacuuming, making needed phone calls, helping DS with NCAA stuff and emailing coaches...I had planned to cut his hair but I think I lost him to video games. For a quiet day it’s been surprisingly busy.

Slept a little later than usual (after being awake for a chunk of time in the wee hours), found it too rainy outside to walk. After putting down towels on the tile underneath the leaks in the roof of our screened room, I followed a walk-at-home video with the sound off while listening to my current audiobook. Hung out with my extra daughter (son's girlfriend) for a while, did a couple of small chores--including finally remembering to trim the palm that keeps growing out over the walkway in front of the house and causing me to stumble on the uneven concrete when I try to walk past it--placed a grocery order for curbside pick-up and an order for some bras I have been wanting to try that are on sale this weekend.

I am now supposed to be studying for the certification exam I am due to take in August, but am, instead, reading here and watching updates on my Publix order.

When the pickup time arrives, I will pop over to Publix to collect the order. And at some point, I'll need to work in another walk or some more video-based something. (Likely the latter, since the weather is not improving.)

Super productive day.

I was at Home Depot when it opened this morning to get some paint for a table for DD's new apartment.  I needed to look at paint colors and wanted to avoid the crowds that were there over the weekend. 

Also picked up some flowers, but we had too much rain to plant today.

I stopped and remembered, as I do every year:  Earlier I watched (online) a Memorial Day service held at a small town cemetery. It was simple and lovely and I'm sure was played out in many places across the country, only scaled back. This one was limited to participants only. 

Dinner--pork tenderloin...not sure what I'm doing with it yet.

We had some steak in the freezer, so we decided to eat it for lunch, before DD18 headed out to work. We had root beer floats (an easy treat, and it's been years since we've had any), and I made a strawberry cake for us to have this evening after DD gets back home. https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/06/strawberry-summer-sheet-cake/   We will have Costco frozen pizzas for supper, I think, because I need to make some room in my freezer. So I spent some time in the kitchen this morning.

I just finished giving DS16, DS15, and DH their first haircuts since March. I used to cut the boys' hair, but haven't since they were about 10 years old. So I have experience doing it from long ago. This was the first haircut that I ever did for DH, and it came out well, if I say so myself.

I should take the dog for a stroll around the neighborhood. I'd like to play a game with whoever is willing. And after our pizza, we will probably watch a movie as a family. So far I've had several votes for 13 Going on 30.

My adult niece asked the family over to her house for a cookout, but we declined. Although I'd love to see her family and my 86 year old dad (who probably attended), it's too risky.

I pressure washed our deck - it was a big job, glad to have it done; DH and DS worked in the garden; DH did a boatload of outside stuff.  

Laundry now, and making faux Chicken Parmesan for dinner.

I’m on a liquid diet for now, and always find it amazing that we can do so much on so little!  This is the first day I’ve felt up to cooking, so ... yay!