Menu

Anyone want to play the baby name game again?

IvyInFlorida

So it's pretty early in my pregnancy, but my husband and I are discussing names already, mostly because I knew it would end up being a challenge, haha.  He wants me to suggest names and then he tells me which ones he doesn't like.  

So far, the only girl names that have made it past his veto are Lucy and Zoe.  Boy names: Jackson and Owen.  I would totally go for Lucy and Jackson and be happy,  but he would like more options.

Names he's rejected: Ruby, Calla, Cass, Rose, Amelia,  Iris, Joy, Cara, Penny, Jewel.  

For boys, he passed on: Lucas, Luke, Jonah, Cash, Liam, William, Jude, Eli, Grayson.

Help!  I have been though so many lists and can't find others to suggest.  I asked him if he wanted to go in a more traditional or a more unique direction and he doesn't know.  No family names he wants to use.  Bah!

• Like 1

Do you care if the name is popular or not? I always tried to pick names that were well known, but not one that they would share with four other kids in their class at school. It's that's a concern, I think I only know one Lucy, but I know a ridiculous amount of boys named Jackson.

4 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Do you care if the name is popular or not? I always tried to pick names that were well known, but not one that they would share with four other kids in their class at school. It's that's a concern, I think I only know one Lucy, but I know a ridiculous amount of boys named Jackson.

Oh really?  Hmm.  I think I prefer in between.   Not a name to make you go "huh?", but not super common either.

I was thinking about making a baby name thread! It seemed like it would be a nice change from that will shall not be named in this thread. And, at halfway through this pregnancy, it's probably time to think about this. 

How about:
Hazel, Ruth, Eliza, Caroline, Annika, Elise, Josephine, Marah, Maren, Elisabeth, 

Samuel, Tobias, Sebastian, Nolan, Noah, Gabriel, 

Also, FWIW, Lucy is super popular here. I know so many Lucilles and Lucias, not to mention the just Lucys.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I was thinking about making a baby name thread! It seemed like it would be a nice change from that will shall not be named in this thread. And, at halfway through this pregnancy, it's probably time to think about this. 

How about:
Hazel, Ruth, Eliza, Caroline, Annika, Elise, Josephine, Marah, Maren, Elisabeth, 

Samuel, Tobias, Sebastian, Nolan, Noah, Gabriel, 

Also, FWIW, Lucy is super popular here. I know so many Lucilles and Lucias, not to mention the just Lucys.

Sebastian is my oldest son's name!  (My husband's stepson).  Love it.  My other son is Vincent.

4 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Sebastian is my oldest son's name!  (My husband's stepson).  Love it.  My other son is Vincent.

Ha...I read through your list of possible names and thought we have similar taste in names. I never thought I'd get DH on board with that one, but he was the one who suggested it!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I forgot about Hazel!  I have always liked botanical names.

I have a ginger plant named Ginger—then as I was handling my herb starts I realized that several have names used by people, or that could be!

Rosemary, for example. 

I nominate Sage as middle name for either Lucy or Jackson. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Botanical names: Marguerite or Rowan?

I like Lucy. I know a Lucinda who goes by Lucie.

I'm fond of Andrew (Drew).  James called Jay?

I didn't realize Marguerite was a botanical name!

I always liked in the Anne of Green Gables series how Anne names her oldest son James but they all called him Jem.

• Like 1

I have an aversion to very common names, probably because mine is in the top 5 for the year I was born.  I suggest every parent google the top 10 for the 10 years before the year their baby will be born and avoid those names.

Anna, Noelle, Autumn, Marie, Ella, Celeste, Ivy, Aurora, Bryn, Simone
Jules, Magnus, Andre, Soren, Anders, Fynn, Armand, Sven, Mattias (Ty), Roman

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Names he's rejected: Ruby, Calla, Cass, Rose, Amelia,  Iris, Joy, Cara, Penny, Jewel.  

For boys, he passed on: Lucas, Luke, Jonah, Cash, Liam, William, Jude, Eli, Grayson.

You and I could have named our children together! I LOVE your names! I love Zoey and Lucy. I am currently stuck on Zoey. 

I have long lists. Zane, Declan, Rowan, Gavin, Riley (for a girl or boy), Hudson, Beckett, those are a few still on my list. I also like Sawyer and Sullivan. 

Edited by Janeway
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I thought I was having an Emily, but apparently I'm having an Isaac, so you can have Emily if you want. ☺

Isaac is a great name!

Some more ideas:
Linnea, Abigail, Grace, Tessa, Clara, Ivy, Agnes, Naomi, Zelie, Lily (Lillian, Lilliana), Pearl, Tabitha, Gemma, Gianna, Nora, Penelope, Willow

Girl names are a lot easier for me to brainstorm. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I forgot about Hazel!  I have always liked botanical names.

I do too! I always liked Laurel. Also Clary. I wanted youngest to be named Evangeline...but we ended up going with Ivy. (Which I was about to suggest, then I read your user name! :p) 

I also like Eden for a girl and Emmett for a boy. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I'm happy to report that thanks to y'all,  we have several more names on our possibility list!  Please continue to add suggestions if you think of any others!

Great news! It's good to have choices. Sometimes you need a back-up name once the baby is born.

I love the names you and your dh have agreed upon. They are classic, easy to spell and pronounce, not too common or too unusual. 

I love the name Katherine and its variations, like Katrina, Kate. Isabelle, Elizabeth, Christina, Julia. 

For boys, I always wanted Theo. Never happened, even with 3 boys. My dh never warmed up to it. 😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

You must not be in the southwestern US.  If you throw a stick there, odds are you'll hit a Jaxon or Jackson.

Same in the midwest. There have been loads of kids named Jackson/Jaxon here for the past ten years or so.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

FWIW, every Zoe I have ever met has been hell on wheels. 😂  STRONG personalities.

Can confirm! lol

Mine gets soooooo annoyed by the fact that people either spell it as Zoey or they pronounce Zoe like it rhymes with Joe. She wishes I had spelled it Zoey, so everyone would spell & pronounce it correctly.

Other names on our shortlist for girls were: Mia, Tamsin, Emilia, Emory

Our shortlist for boys: Henry, Carter, Theo, Jasper, Felix

Edited by Corraleno

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Can confirm! lol

Mine gets soooooo annoyed by the fact that people either spell it as Zoey or they pronounce Zoe like it rhymes with Joe. She wishes I had spelled it Zoey, so everyone would spell & pronounce it correctly.

Other names on our shortlist for girls were: Mia, Tamsin, Emilia, Emory

Our shortlist for boys: Henry, Carter, Theo, Jasper, Felix

I loooove Jasper but was vetoed 😢