Menu

What's the best place to live??

My dh may be losing his job. If he does, we are totally free to go anywhere in the country, provided we want to go there, and he finds a job there. I know I would like for us to be on the east coast somewhere.

So, as we search Monster and save job listings, what's a great place to live?

RULE: You must have actually lived there sometime in your conscience life to recommend it.

:lurk5:

It'll be interesting to hear your recommendations. (We like suburbia, but not totally crowded suburbia. We have not ruled out city living if we could afford it, it's safe and there are plenty of parks nearby for the kids to run in either. We don't like completely rural areas.)

I second WV!! We live in the Eastern Panhandle so we're close to Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and DC!! Loads to do within a reasonable distance. You can live a little farther West and the cost of living is much lower or you can live to the East (where we are) and it's more expensive but an easier commute. Not many good paying jobs right here, but tons in DC, MD, and VA. :)

The five strongest economies/unemployment rates right now are in SD, WY, ND, UT, and NE.

So far we're enjoying Nebraska.

Now, if you're talking strictly the most pleasant places to live, we've **loved** Boise, Idaho; Sheboygan, Wisconsin; La Crosse, Wisconsin; and McMinnville, OR. (Though taxes in WI and OR are crazy-high.)

I've heard great things about TX and MT as well.

My dh was talking about Central TX and I thought he was nuts, but now I see why he was interested in it. Good climate, great prices, city nearby, and conservative feel, plus easy homeschooling laws.

It's just...I love hills and trees, so far on the suggestions I would dream of NC or Virginia...because I grew up in southeast PA...but I do remember the cold...oh the cold, cold, cold, cold!

My dh was talking about Central TX and I thought he was nuts, but now I see why he was interested in it. Good climate, great prices, city nearby, and conservative feel, plus easy homeschooling laws.

It's just...I love hills and trees, so far on the suggestions I would dream of NC or Virginia...because I grew up in southeast PA...but I do remember the cold...oh the cold, cold, cold, cold!

There are plenty of hills and trees in Texas!! Vote # 4 for Texas....

DH used to say that he missed the hills here in FL (we moved from CA).

I'll have to ask him about those hills now - he went hunting last week in WV and spent a day lost in the woods/hills/snow. I'm guessing he prefers the flat ground now huh? LOL!!

I love it here.... i did that pick thing posted and it picked a few spots in Texas, a bunch all within an hour of my house and a few others in GA. Guess i really did pick the right spot to move to huh?

Delaware!

Lots of homeschoolers, and homeschool friendly area. We have farm fields around our development and stores, lots of them, close-by. Light traffic for an area that is the heart-beat away from major cities:

Phila---just a drive up the road but I do not have Phila traffic to deal with.

DC --- 100 miles from my door to the mall!

Baltimore---90 minute drive

NYC---2 hrs north

Beaches---take your pick of the Jersey shore or the Delaware beaches. Either is a short drive from here.

Check out our homeschool group too: http://www.tristatehomeschoolnetwork.org/

And I belong to DE Classical HS'ers. Yes, I've lived here for almost 7years and have enjoyed all my time here. I've lived in Ohio, Pitts PA, Massachusetts, MI, and here; and I love it here. Also, you will NOT be the only one not from this state since over 50% of Delaware residents are transplants from some other state.

Low, very low taxes, no sales tax.....

Carole

On the East Coast, I loved New York (we lived upstate). It's very expensive to live there though. But, if you could afford it, I'd highly recommend it. It's beautiful! You get all 4 seasons. There are mountains and lakes. It's close to lots of other places: Canada, Massachusetts, New Jersey, D.C, etc. We visited the entire Northeast while we lived there.

I haven't lived any place else up there, but the entire Northeast United States appeals to me and I'd live there in a heartbeat if it was just up to me.

I also loved living in Florida. I grew up in the Orlando area and there's always lots to do there. And you're close to the beach no matter where you live. I loved to read as a kid and I remember they had a great library system. But, from what I hear, it's also expensive to live there.

I wasn't that impressed with Southeast Georgia or Charleston, South Carolina. Both are also places I have lived. Georgia just didn't have that much to offer, although it was pretty cheap. I wasn't unhappy there. Charleston has a lot of charm. They just weren't my favorite places.

Outside of the East Coast, the only other places I've lived are Texas and Washington State (Seattle area). We all LOVED Washington. It isn't as dreary as everyone says it is. It is absolutely beautiful!! So much to do, especially if you love the outdoors. We were only there for a year and we would love to go back.

Anyway, sorry it got long. I've lived many places and I enjoy sharing my experiences (all positive thankfully).

East TN is great too if you like NC. We've lived here most of our lives...moved away and came back! You get four honest to goodness seasons, no hurricanes, and it's on the way to just about anywhere in the Eastern US! lol.

The suburban areas around Knoxville are nice, and VERY inexpensive compared to many other areas around the country. :)

stay far, far away from Michigan. :D

I grew up there and think it's beautiful, but unfortunately, the economy there is awful right now.

I'm in TX and the economy is great. I don't find it pretty at all, (though I'm in DFW), and it's horribly hot here in the summer. The economy is a huge plus though, which is why I've been here for 12 years. Housing is so affordable and jobs are a lot easier to find here than in most parts of the country.

ETA: HSing here is great, no one bothers you, there are no testing or reporting requirements . Many hsing groups, it's easy to get hsing discounts in stores here, and so on.

Edited by Annie Laurie

Okay - I gotta' stand up for MI!!!! IF you can find a job (and right now, that is a HUGE IF!), it is a really nice place to live. We love all the seasons, the beaches (breathtaking!), etc. We live outside Detroit and LOVE access to all the culture of downtown, but feel like we live in a small town - Grosse Pointe. The housing prices are WAY down right now, so it's a great place to buy! (Our house just three years ago was appraised at over $500,000. We just petitioned and won to have it decreased. It was decreased to $290,000. Yikes!!!)

My sister is in the process of buying a house right now on the western side of the state (near Lake MI). 3 br, 2 bath - really nice! Listing price is $65,000!

Homeschooling here is EASY. NO reporting whatsoever.

Any questions - just ask!

East TN is great too if you like NC. We've lived here most of our lives...moved away and came back! You get four honest to goodness seasons, no hurricanes, and it's on the way to just about anywhere in the Eastern US! lol.

The suburban areas around Knoxville are nice, and VERY inexpensive compared to many other areas around the country. :)

Nothing can beat those green rolling hills of E Tn!;) Gorgeous!

The five strongest economies/unemployment rates right now are in SD, WY, ND, UT, and NE.

So far we're enjoying Nebraska.

Now, if you're talking strictly the most pleasant places to live, we've **loved** Boise, Idaho; Sheboygan, Wisconsin; La Crosse, Wisconsin; and McMinnville, OR. (Though taxes in WI and OR are crazy-high.)

I've heard great things about TX and MT as well.

:iagree:BOISE BOISE BOISE BOISE!!!! I live a bit outside of Boise. Idaho is a fantastic state to live in. Four fantastic mild seasons, mountains to camp and hike in, lakes to fish and play in...it is simply AWESOME! (if you ask me anyway!!!)

I live in Hickory!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! It is awesome!!! Smaller city. Has everything, but still close to the mountains and Charlotte.

I have to visit NC! I know quite a few people from down here (South Florida) that have moved to NC. I would really like to visit Asheville too.

Take a serious look at the Texas Hill Country (seriously, this is the region's name!) Austin has very dramatic scenery with lots of hills and trees. East Texas and part of the Houston suburbs are also heavily forested so that might also be an option. Austin is the most progressive area in TX, while East Texas is very conservative. In general, the TX economy and real estate market are holding up well and hsing laws and support are wonderful.

I have to visit NC! I know quite a few people from down here (South Florida) that have moved to NC. I would really like to visit Asheville too.

I used to live outside of Asheville, I worked in the city. Asheville has a lot of places to visit if you like the mountainous outdoors, many arts/crafts places, antiques, and of course there's the Biltmore House.

I dont live there, but would love to live NW. Oregon and Washington are beautiful.

There is one place in Wash. we were looking into. Sequim, where it sits , it doesnt get as bad winters as the rest.

:lol::lol::lol:

This is just too funny to me. When we moved from WA to WV, we kept met three different people who, when we mentioned being from WA, talked about having visited there, and then mentioned Sequim. :001_huh: AND they knew how to pronounce it ("squim"). It just seems funny that a small town on the Olympic peninsula is apparently so well-known.

I like living here, but wouldn't recommend locating to the greater Seattle area for affordability. Of all of the places we've lived, this has been the most expensive.

We really liked Idaho; the hsing laws there are great. :)