Menu

And, just like that, it is gone....

DawnM

😭😭😭

My son just got notification that his 8 month Disney internship, which was meant to start May 18th, has been cancelled.  They said to reapply when they open applications up again if you want to do it, but instead of moving them to a later start date, they just cancelled them all.

We are so sad.

Here is the letter he recieved:

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 4.25.21 PM.png

Edited by DawnM
  • Sad 33

I'm sorry to hear that! He must be so disappointed!!  😥😢 Can he look for another shorter internship? They might be few and far between, but dd has mentioned she's seen some that are still open for her area of study.

We're waiting to hear if dd's will be cancelled. It seems like it could easily be done remotely, so we're hoping she'll be able to keep it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

I'm sorry to hear that! He must be so disappointed!!  😥😢 Can he look for another shorter internship? They might be few and far between, but dd has mentioned she's seen some that are still open for her area of study.

We're waiting to hear if dd's will be cancelled. It seems like it could easily be done remotely, so we're hoping she'll be able to keep it.

haven't seen any short term ones he can apply for, and really, if the summer stuff is cancelled, he is just spinning his wheels.  He had another opportunity to work teaching guitar at a camp to kids, but they are now laying off, so that probably would have fallen through as well.

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

That's hard. 😞 

Dh works with college students and many of them are dealing with big disappointments and disruption. It's a challenging time for that age group. 

This. 100x.

Jobs, internships, quality classes, friends, and no financial relief for most of them.

Those of us living with them are struggling along with them. 

• Like 4

I'm so sorry.  My kid applied for some internships (museums) and is expecting to hear back this month... most likely they will all be negative because who knows when museums will open/people will feel safe going to them.

My other kid had travel cancelled, and her summer job is nonessential retail. So... two bored unhappy kids home all summer!  Yippee!  (I'll be encouraging online classes.)

• Sad 1

Oh I’m so sorry. It’s so hard to see our big kids disappointed.

For now, Ds’s internship is still saying he’s good for going full time this summer (right now he works 2 days / week remotely). He needs an apartment in that city for the summer and next school year. I’m afraid to sign the lease because what if.... they decide they don’t want interns full time, or school decides to stay remote in the fall.. he wants to live away from us anyways, but could save so much money if not.

My teen is supposed to work at summer camp this year- it’s not cancelled yet but I can’t imagine camps being open in NY.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

I'm so sorry. I feel so bad for students whose college/career plans are seriously disrupted by this. DD was doing an internship and was absolutely in her element when things ground to a halt and students were sent home. She'd put a lot of resumes out there, and in normal times would have expected a number of interviews and offers, but had just one interview right before it hit. Now everything just says hiring process is suspended. She'll be coming home in a few weeks to rethink where she might be employable in this new and changing market. 

• Sad 3