Menu

Travel restrictions question - coronavirus

Kassia

Ohio's governor just placed an order saying that people coming in from other states should self-quarantine for 14 days.  Does that apply only to people flying?  I'm not sure if my sons are planning on driving here from out of state for Easter, but does this mean that they would be going against the order if they wanted to?  I spoke with one of my sons about it and he seemed to think it was for people traveling by plane, but I'm not so sure.  One of my sons has a travel restriction in his state as well, so he'd actually be expected to self-quarantine both ways.  

I don't think it's a good idea for them to visit now, but am wondering about this anyway.  We've all been good about social distancing, but all of us have been grocery shopping when necessary and one son has needed to go to his office for a few hours each week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Ohio's governor just placed an order saying that people coming in from other states should self-quarantine for 14 days.  Does that apply only to people flying?  I'm not sure if my sons are planning on driving here from out of state for Easter, but does this mean that they would be going against the order if they wanted to?  I spoke with one of my sons about it and he seemed to think it was for people traveling by plane, but I'm not so sure.  One of my sons has a travel restriction in his state as well, so he'd actually be expected to self-quarantine both ways.  

I don't think it's a good idea for them to visit now, but am wondering about this anyway.  We've all been good about social distancing, but all of us have been grocery shopping when necessary and one son has needed to go to his office for a few hours each week.

Why would it apply only to flying?  The virus can come with you whatever way you travel.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kiwik said:

Why would it apply only to flying?  The virus can come with you whatever way you travel.

I think because you'd be exposed to everyone in the airport and on the plane vs. alone in your car.   It wouldn't be any different than him coming to visit from another part of the state.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

I think it applies to anyone who enters the state, not just those who are flying. So I would guess it would go against the state orders for your out of state sons to come for a quick visit and then leave again.

FWIW, we will not be visiting family for Easter, even though we are all within the same state. It's hard. MIL's birthday is on Easter this year.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 3

True but if you already had it when you got in the car you could give it a free ride to a non infected area or your family.  Unless you were in isolation for two weeks before you left then got in your car and drove without touching anything or seeing anyone.

• Like 7

Our state has issued orders similar to that for travelers coming from certain areas. It applies to all travelers coming from those areas, whether by plane or car, and is because those areas have higher numbers/rates of infection than our state. 

I understand wanting your kiddos to visit, but.....don't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Our state has issued orders similar to that for travelers coming from certain areas. It applies to all travelers coming from those areas, whether by plane or car, and is because those areas have higher numbers/rates of infection than our state. 

I understand wanting your kiddos to visit, but.....don't. 

What state do you live in?

Are other states doing this too? 

• Like 1

I live in MD on the border of DE and DE just implemented this.  I am no longer allowed to shop in DE because the wording of the order is that I must immediately self quarantine when entering the state.  So, before doing anything else in the state.  Dh can still go to work in DE because his job is essential.  I do not believe MD has enacted this order yet but I may be wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you!  Even without the new order, I thought it was a bad idea for them to visit but I didn't know for sure it applied to driving.  My one son has one week of forced time off after Easter with nothing to do so he might want to come home since he lives alone and there won't be anything for him to do.  I hate to say no, but I want to keep everyone safe.

• Like 1

So, what if they were to come visit and not leave the house?  Would that still be considered self-quarantine even if they are exposing us (me, DH, DD) to their germs?  Even if they don't leave the house, we could still get infected by them and spread the virus and/or get sick ourselves.  Or does self-quarantine mean isolation?  

ETA - just answered my own question with this

https://health.usnews.com/conditions/articles/how-to-self-quarantine

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I live in Ohio but I haven't seen the order (I have been actively trying to avoid news the last few days.)

However, I have spent 5+yrs living on the Indiana side of the border, while Dh was working in Ohio.  And for people living in the city that my DH's employer is located.....the hospital in Indiana is the closest.   In fact, all the medical facilities in the city he works in are associated with the hospital in Indiana.  Most of those local doc offices a associated with that local network and not with a network associated with Ohio.  So I suspect that while it doesn't specifically apply to all people coming into the state, it probably is meant to apply to situations like yours and not only towards those flying.  

The DE order specifically says that out of state residence seeking medical attention do not have to abide by the order.  This is specifically because most MD residents near the border go to the hospitals in DE including the children's hospital because they are closer than the bigger MD hospitals and better or closer than the small local one

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Thank you, I had no idea this was going on. 

Is there any better information than this

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/04/travelers-from-outside-of-ohio-should-self-isolate-for-14-days-governor-advises.html

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/home/news-releases-news-you-can-use/ohio-stay-at-home-order-extended-through-may-1

"Direction that travelers arriving to Ohio should self-quarantine for 14 days. Exceptions include persons who live and work in trans-border areas, heath care workers, public health workers, public safety workers, transportation workers and designated essential workers. Visitors are instructed not to travel to Ohio if they are displaying symptoms, excepting in certain circumstances for medical care. "

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I live in Ohio but I haven't seen the order (I have been actively trying to avoid news the last few days.)

However, I have spent 5+yrs living on the Indiana side of the border, while Dh was working in Ohio.  And for people living in the city that my DH's employer is located.....the hospital in Indiana is the closest.   In fact, all the medical facilities in the city he works in are associated with the hospital in Indiana.  Most of those local doc offices a associated with that local network and not with a network associated with Ohio.  So I suspect that while it doesn't specifically apply to all people coming into the state, it probably is meant to apply to situations like yours and not only towards those flying.  

The governor specifically excluded those who live on the border and travel into surrounding states for work or other necessities that are closer. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

What state do you live in?

Are other states doing this too? 

I'm in Texas, and our governor has limited entry from high-density Covid places (New York, CA, Louisiana, Georgia and then from a few cities like Chicago, Miami, etc.). 

I know that Kentucky is "strongly encouraging" people not to travel to/from Tennessee, which has a LOT higher number of cases than they do. I'm not sure what other states are doing. 

• Like 2

It applies to everyone.

Our governor has ordered the same. We are being inundated with summer people coming early and out of staters looking to escape in our state. We do not have the resources to deal with visitors, no matter who they are.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kassia said:

So, what if they were to come visit and not leave the house?  Would that still be considered self-quarantine even if they are exposing us (me, DH, DD) to their germs?  Even if they don't leave the house, we could still get infected by them and spread the virus and/or get sick ourselves.  Or does self-quarantine mean isolation?  

ETA - just answered my own question with this

https://health.usnews.com/conditions/articles/how-to-self-quarantine

I'm sorry! This whole thing really stinks. I'm missing my kids like crazy. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 2