Menu

Day 6 -Mar 21 - doing what we can

Murphy101

My chest and neck and shoulders hurt. Likely panic attack stuff. I haven’t had one in over a year.  So this sucks. I’ll have to call the dr and ask for anxiety medications so this is manageable during social distancing and self-isolation.  Here’s hoping it isn’t a heart attack. Because this is not the time for  that.

Staying home. Turning everything off. Praying and watching comedies in tv and reading books to little ones. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

Walked to a fed ex box to drop a package in the box instead of taking it to a shop in person

Going to take a family hike at the ocean

Going for a run

Playing with the kitties. Feeling so extra grateful for them

Ordering takeout for dinner. We decided to support a local restaurant once a week, even though normally we almost never get takeout. I’m feeling an immense responsibility to help keep the businesses in our little town afloat in any way we can.

Texting and emailing faraway friends. Connecting. 

• Like 4

I feel like I'm coming down with something.  I'm hoping it's just from not getting enough sleep.  I'll take a long nap after lunch.

ETA:  I slept and feel much better now.  Thanks for your concern! 

Edited by klmama
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5

Keeping up with the laundry and house. Did all the week's medicine boxes this morning. Nothing needed to be ordered, so that's good.

Middle is trying out a sewing pattern for masks. Freaks me out that fabric masks are being requested, but I think it's helping her to be able to do something to "fight".  Oldest made another 2 loaves of bread yesterday; if I can keep her in flour, she will keep us supplied with bread.

Having trouble with keeping DH home. He is in anxiety mode, and he's always been a shopper when he's stressed. He ran out to Walmart last night to see if they had any "supplies" (we're as fully stocked as we can be at this point). He ended up buying thread for sewing dd? She has plenty... He was wondering about going to Lowe's this morning for some paint - AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! Fortunately, I think he will be easier to contain going forward since we're on official "Shelter in Place" rules sometime this afternoon. Now, I think my challenge will be Amazon purchases - yep, while typing this, he texted me he wants to let the kids each buy 3 books. I put him off for at least a week - they already have some new stuff for quarantine time. 

We realized that we need to get the A/C inspected. We got a new furnace over the winter, and it was too cold to test the AC (which runs through the same vents). They said they would come back and do it in the spring. Ugh, I really don't want to let anyone into my house right now.

My aunt and uncle, brother, MIL, and neighbor all say they are stocked up for a while, so I can rest easy there. 

exercise goals: it's sunny, but very cold here today, so exercise bike.

cleaning goals: kids' sheets & laundry. make a menu plan for next week. regular daily chores.

fun/relaxation goals: yoga, DH and I started watching "Narrowboat" on Amazon a couple nights ago - it's weird, but relaxing in its own way, going to drag out my half finished dollhouse and take inventory.

school goals: make a schedule for the next week. Oldest should be starting her de classes online on Monday. We're going to start Harry Potter 6 with the Build Your Library unit study (with their own science instead of potions because those books were on order from the library when it closed); they kicked it off today with the digital HP escape room:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSflNxNM0jzbZJjUqOcXkwhGTfii4CM_CA3kCxImbY8c3AABEA/viewform?fbclid=IwAR3J_-FB_XBs3V6Y4G24OCJTaGygLEYtkcgPsNSQ6aqfwl3rJ78tZU0rl_A

• Like 3

Took an extra-long walk with the dog this morning. Left my earbuds out for the first 3/4 mile or so and just listened to birds. That's not normally something that's especially rewarding here in busy suburbia, but maybe with fewer people out and about, the birds are feeling braver? Anyway, that was nice.

Then I came home and asked my husband, legit, for real, how long do we think this is likely to last? He said that he thinks it will be, at a minimum, a few weeks and even after that, may be intermittent. 

I said, okay, then, there are some things I'm going to need, and I have him the list I made while I was out walking:

• An additional, larger monitor for my computer. I have three monitors at the office and find that, for the kind of work I do (developing eLearning materials), I actually use all three all the time. So working with two at home, one of which is smaller than what I have there, is a constant irritation. Plus, that way when I need to hole up in my office and hide from the world while watching an opera stream or something similar, I will have a decent-sized screen.
  • A new printer. The one we have is on its last legs and needs its print heads cleaned (which can take a couple of hours) every couple of weeks. Yesterday, I wanted to print the script I'm editing because it's easier for me to focus on things when they are on paper, and what came out of the printer wasn't legible.
  • A reasonably pleasant place to sit outside with the dog. We have a backyard that, for various reasons, isn't functional for pleasant sitting. I actually prefer to sit on the little mostly ornamental bench in the front yard, but the wood slats are rotting, and I have to hold the dog on her leash while I'm sitting. I told him I need a couple of attractive and comfortable chairs, a small table, an ottoman or pouf for my feet and a tie-out of some kind for the dog.
  • A secure screen for my office window. I haven't been able to open the window in a couple of years, because the screen got damaged and was taken down at some point (storm prep, maybe?). Anyway, after too long inside I start to feel entombed. 

So, we sat down and went through the list and spent a bunch of money. 

• He's out right now collecting the new printer from BestBuy via curbside pickup.
  • I decided that taking two of the chairs that go with the existing patio dining set we never use (see comments about not pleasant/functional backyard) and moving them to the front would be acceptable and have ordered an outdoor pouf and small side table, as well as a tie-out thingie for the dog, from Target. Waiting to get notification they are ready so I can go pick up that stuff.
  • And, just for good measure, we placed a curbside pickup order for some groceries from Publix, which I will swing by and collect on the same trip.

The screen thing has defeated both of us. We just can't figure out, from looking at the Home Depot and Lowe's sites, what we actually need. So that will need to wait. And we couldn't find a decent deal on the monitor locally, so that will probably be an Amazon order. Hubby is taking care of that one for me.

I'm hoping, though, that getting the other stuff in progress will make this feel more bearable.

• Like 6

Today is a much better day. Dh and I slept in until 11, which we needed because we have both been running on a few hours every night all week because of newborn and sick kids.

We're all being very creative in different ways today. I love watching my kids create

• Like 4

My cleaning plan is already behind, but I suppose as long as I keep plugging away at it.....  

Today I WILL finish my bathroom and at least get a start on my bedroom.

YDS is alternating playing drums and guitar (I much prefer the guitar).  He will help me move stuff in my bedroom when I'm ready.

DH is continuing with the refinish of our kitchen table.  He took a break from it yesterday to use the new steamer to clean the shower - he loves a new gadget and it's one less thing for me to do in there 🙂

ODS is at his gf's house, helping her dad and some neighbours pull out tree stumps - happy boy with his big truck!

I also went grocery shopping this morning, cleaned the fridge, washed and cut up a bunch of veggies, and cooked up some sweet potato, kale, and white beans to have for supper.

• Like 3

Weekends are usually when I get housecleaning done (when I work during the week). I held to that pattern today and got the bathrooms cleaned and the vacuuming done. Almost done with picking up the house. Dh joined wheelchair kid and I on our walk--2 more nice days before the rain returns.

We ordered a sewing machine yesterday (my old Kenmore did not power up at Christmas and dh has not been successful at diagnosing or fixing it). I think this will become my college kid's sewing machine, and I got it to help her find something to do. Costco said 3-5 days shipping, so hopefully sometime next week it will arrive. Then I started seeing local posts about making masks for our hospital. Someone today was giving away fabric and someone else was supposed to be there with elastic, but they weren't there when I was there. And elastic is the thing you can't find anywhere right now, just like tp. Everyone is making masks. So maybe we'll be making masks in a week, maybe we won't, maybe they'll have enough by then. But I like the idea of the project and it's simple sewing I can handle with a working machine.

Scrapbooked 6 or 7 pages yesterday, plus organized and moved the whole mess (trying to make a space for college kid to work). Should be easier now to jump in and do a page or two as time and energy permit.

Don’t make them for the hospital unless you call the hospital and verify they will take them. Most will not.

ETA: though I do think they are better than nothing for everyone else. My daughters are going to try to make some next week. This weekend we are all too shell shocked and I do not feel well. 

Edited by Murphy101

33 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Don’t make them for the hospital unless you call the hospital and verify they will take them. Most will not.

ETA: though I do think they are better than nothing for everyone else. My daughters are going to try to make some next week. This weekend we are all too shell shocked and I do not feel well. 

My mom is making masks at the request of my niece who is a nurse in a doctors office in AR.  I am thankful my mom has something to do.  

• Like 2

Well...we had a wedding today!!! 😄🥰

After deciding on Tuesday to cancel their big wedding scheduled for May 2 (I whined about this in the Day 3 thread), my son and his bride decided to go ahead and get married ASAP. So we have scrambled to get the plans, furniture, necessities together so that they could marry today. We contacted all 350 people who had been invited to the original wedding and gave them the link to the live stream of today's wedding on YouTube. Only the two immediate families and the minister were actually present at the church. No favorite aunts or best friends forever were there...which was sad...but the wedding was SO precious and intimate. I highly recommend it if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation!

They can't go to a hotel and they can't even go out to dinner, but I am sure they will be just fine! 

IMG-2489.thumb.jpg.31d5f77a7859cbc18ea0922ea22a062d.jpg

@TCBtagging to make sure you see this 😉

Edited by MorningGlory
Added picture
  • Like 13

23 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

After deciding on Tuesday to cancel their big wedding scheduled for May 2 (I whined about this in the Day 3 thread), my son and his bride decided to go ahead and get married ASAP. So we have scrambled to get the plans, furniture, necessities together so that they could marry today. We contacted all 350 people who had been invited to the original wedding and gave them the link to the live stream of today's wedding on YouTube. Only the two immediate families and the minister were actually present at the church. No favorite aunts or best friends forever were there...which was sad...but the wedding was SO precious and intimate. I highly recommend it if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation!

They can't go to a hotel and they can't even go out to dinner, but I am sure they will be just fine! 

Very lovely.  We have fam who are likely in the same situation in a month 

• Like 1

Not a lot of sleep last night for various reason so very slow today.  Trying to get focused.  Tomorrow going back to trying to keep a fairly normal routine.  I’m selling a rooster to a lady today.  I feel bad about going out somewhat unnecessarily but finding actual homes versus stewpots is so hard that I really want to do it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

It's an organization at our hospital that put out the request. Lots of folks are getting involved, including some who are semi-professionally involved in clothing construction. I know that my contribution would be pretty limited compared to what some of these people can do (like quilting groups), but it would still be nice to help. We've had a couple of different medical organizations ask for PPE donations and specify that homemade counts. I think the sewing organizers are moving on to gowns next. Our school's robotics team donated a bunch of safety glasses and some gloves--pretty cool for a bunch of teens.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

IMG-2489.thumb.jpg.31d5f77a7859cbc18ea0922ea22a062d.jpg

@TCBtagging to make sure you see this 😉

How wonderful! Really made my day seeing this! Have been at work today. So happy for your son and for you all! Sounds like it was magical! Much love to you all!

• Like 1

Well Day 6 was the day I lost all sense of responsibility and decided to buy a Chromebook on a whim. If I'm going to write this much then it is going to be typing and not by hand.

On the plus side my mom said if I finish my book before the end of this she'll reimburse me for the Chromebook. Now I call that motivation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Well Day 6 was the day I lost all sense of responsibility and decided to buy a Chromebook on a whim. If I'm going to write this much then it is going to be typing and not by hand.

On the plus side my mom said if I finish my book before the end of this she'll reimburse me for the Chromebook. Now I call that motivation.

As I mentioned in my post earlier in this thread, yesterday was also the day I lost my mind and demanded that money be spent to make me comfortable.

By the end of yesterday, I had my new printer plus a simple but functional seating area in the front yard including a tie-out so I can have the dog with me. As of 10 minutes ago, I have not one but a matched set of two big monitors for my home desk. (Only one is operating right now, because we're waiting for the splitter gadget to arrive on Tuesday.) 

The screens for the office and bedroom windows are turning out to be more of a challenge than any of the other things on my list. My husband just told me to go ahead and get someone here to do an estimate for us; so I will make that happen as early in the week as I can manage, 

• Like 1