Menu

PSA: COVID19, SAT tomorrow more cancellation, ACT April possible cancellation

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/test-center-closings
“College Board has canceled March 14 SAT registrations in areas affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) out of concern for student health and safety, and in accordance with guidance issued by international health organizations, evolving travel restrictions, and school closures. Get more information.

https://www.act.org

“ACT continues to closely monitor the situation regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), with the safety of examinees and testing staff being our top priority. In making decisions regarding ACT test centers for our upcoming April test date, ACT is consulting with local government and school officials to make the appropriate decisions. 

If any test centers for the April test date are closed, ACT will notify impacted students and test center coordinators directly, as well as post and update information regarding the closures on this website.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

My ds will be so frustrated if the April ACT is cancelled. I'm not even going to mention the possibility to him. He has been doing an intensive (and expensive) prep course that leads up to the April test and he is hitting top scores on every section. He is so geared up to take it and be done with it. Small issue in the big scheme of what is happening in the world and the people suffering but it will hurt if this test is cancelled. 

• Like 5

This never even occurred to me as a possibility. DS is a junior and he *really* needs to take the ACT again to get one of his subscores up. We were going to do the April test, but another opportunity came up, so we put the ACT off until June. If he can't take it again before fall, that will be a problem.

My DD is taking 2 classes (dual enrollment) at the local university, and she said today her professors reviewed how they would handle the classes if classes have to move online due to coronavirus. I think it's likely to happen that they go online for the rest of the semester; I saw that some universities are already definitely going online only now or in the next week or two. Also, I can't imagine if they cancel AP exams -- all that work out the window with no score. I guess DD could take the Calc CLEP instead if the local community college is open in May and not online only...but prepping for AP Calc BC doesn't have a CLEP equivalent. And my DD is starting college in late June, so if there's an AP exam make-up hopefully it's before then. My hope is this coronavirus will be gone come summer. My sympathies to all the kids who have been prepping for the SAT March test which got cancelled. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, EKS said:

They actually can be made up (https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/ap-coordinators/exam-ordering-fees/late-testing).

It would just be a matter of changing policy to allow for a much later make up.

that’s good to know because without a score on some of those exams, we can’t get into classes next year. It’s a nightmare.

1 hour ago, EKS said:

They actually can be made up (https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/ap-coordinators/exam-ordering-fees/late-testing).

The first year my older kids took AP exams, there were wildfires in the county.  Their second exam was delayed about two weeks. 

There have also been instances where College Board has offered late summer exams as make up opportunities if they invalidate scores at a school (such as for improper seating arrangements).

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I am starting to worry they will start cancelling APs. Those are impossible to make up. 

2 hours ago, EKS said:

1 hour ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

The first year my older kids took AP exams, there were wildfires in the county.  Their second exam was delayed about two weeks. 

There have also been instances where College Board has offered late summer exams as make up opportunities if they invalidate scores at a school (such as for improper seating arrangements).

My county has the highest number of cases in California.  I am already prepared for AP exams to be postponed. However, the epidemic might not be manageable by late summer. 

The cancellations and alternative locations are weird though.

e.g. These two South Bay high schools are near each other but one is cancelled and one is moved to East Bay

“Fremont Hs

Notes: A makeup cannot be supported at this test center

Henry M. Gunn High School

Notes:

Test takers should report to
NEWARK MEML HS
39375 CEDAR BLVD
NEWARK,CA 94560
Test Center #05503”

These two are quite nearby to each other too

”Capuchino Hs

Notes:

Test takers should report to
SAN MATEO HS
506 N DELAWARE ST
SAN MATEO,CA 94401
Test Center #05739

Carlmont Hs

Notes: A makeup cannot be supported at this test center”

41 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My county has the highest number of cases in California.  I am already prepared for AP exams to be postponed. However, the epidemic might not be manageable by late summer. 

you think it will be worse?

I am hoping we will be done with this madness by then.

I can’t imagine prepping all over again for late summer exams. 😞 my kid wants his summer vacation. 

Edited by Roadrunner

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I’m a pragmatic optimist and I am not hopeful. 
https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/

“155 confirmed cases in California

2 confirmed deaths in California

95 confirmed cases in the Bay Area

10,300 Californians in self-quarantine

By CHRONICLE DIGITAL TEAM
LAST UPDATED: March 10, 2020 12:40 p.m.”

ETA: My county just added two more cases an hour ago.
Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

My ds who has been intensely studying for the April ACT had a big 4H conference scheduled (three hours from home) for the ACT weekend. He told his leaders about the conflict and they offered to have someone take him to the local high school there to take the ACT. So he is registered for the ACT three hours from our home.

But what I see happening is the conference getting cancelled but we still need to take him three hours to take the ACT. I guess we have until Friday to change test centers. I don't know that we will know by then. He just texted the guy in charge and got a response of "we're working on it". Ugh ugh. 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I am hoping we will be done with this madness by then.

I can’t imagine prepping all over again for late summer exams. 😞 my kid wants his summer vacation. 

We are no where near peak in any part of the US.  Reaching the peak will take even longer in areas that don’t yet have community spread.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

But what I see happening is the conference getting cancelled but we still need to take him three hours to take the ACT. I guess we have until Friday to change test centers.

I would assume it will be cancelled or that you don't want him at that big of an event and move his test center if there is space. But, that's me...

• Like 2

Just now, RootAnn said:

I would assume it will be cancelled or that you don't want him at that big of an event and move his test center if there is space. But, that's me...

Agreed.  But this conference, if it goes on, and he is not there, is going to be a big deal. He is going to be nominated at this conference and he is expecting to be elected to be president over all of 4-H in our state. This is something he has been working toward for years and is kind of a big deal (in the world of teenagers). Of course in the grand scheme of his life this will be a blip but right now it feels pretty significant. 

I do really think it will be cancelled. Would make my life a lot easier if it is cancelled before the Friday late registration deadline. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

Agreed.  But this conference, if it goes on, and he is not there, is going to be a big deal. He is going to be nominated at this conference and he is expecting to be elected to be president over all of 4-H in our state. This is something he has been working toward for years and is kind of a big deal (in the world of teenagers). Of course in the grand scheme of his life this will be a blip but right now it feels pretty significant. 

I do really think it will be cancelled. Would make my life a lot easier if it is cancelled before the Friday late registration deadline. 

Just got word it is cancelled so we can hopefully change his test site to a local one so that is a good outcome as far as ACT goes. Now that is if the ACT actually happens. Ugh. So many people so disrupted. Yet, with people actually very sick and dying and suffering economically we are working hard to keep disappointment in perspective. 

• Like 2

@teachermom2834 @RootAnn

http://www.act.org/content/act/en/covid-19.html

“April 2020 National Exam COVID-19

Test Coordinator FAQs

How do I inform ACT we are cancelling our scheduled test? 

Please follow the normal procedures for cancelling your April exam and send an email to TestACT@act.org.  To help with the evolving situation, please notify ACT as soon as your testing status has changed.  Following test weekend, ACT will contact test centers immediately to reschedule the exam.

How late can I notify ACT that we are going to close? 

Please notify ACT of closures by March 13, 2020, which is the late registration deadline or as soon as possible.

Am I allowed to admit examinees who come to our test center on test day... 

...but are not registered for our site and not on our roster?

No. ACT is not changing our admission policies at this time.  Examinees may only test at the test center where they are registered. If an examinee is not on the roster, they are not allowed to test at your center, no exceptions.

What will happen if my school district or state decides to shut down all... 

test centers because of the Coronavirus and I am unable to administer the test on the April test date? 

ACT will work with each test center to determine the best option.  Much of this decision will depend on whether the school district or state will lift the restriction in time to reschedule within the same testing window.  All registered examinees and test center staff will be kept up to date with options for testing.  Some of those options may include a rescheduled test date or moving examinees to the next test date.

What will happen if my school is shut down because of the Coronavirus... 

...and I have examinees who are scheduled to take the exam  with accommodations during the two-week window for Special Testing?

That will depend on whether the school lifts the restriction in time to reschedule within the two-week Special Testing window.  If the school reopens during the testing window, you should make every effort to test the Special Testing examinee(s). If the school does not open within the two-week window, please return the examinee test materials, and we will reschedule the examinee for the next available test date.  If the examinees test site reopens in the week following the testing window, you may contact ACT Accommodations for a possible one-week extension that may be granted on an individual basis.

How will examinees be informed that the test is cancelled? 

If ACT is informed of the cancellation with enough time before the test date, we will email the examinees with the information.  As always, we will also post the closings on ACTStudent.org and request that Test Center staff contact their local news media to announce the closure.

Are examinees allowed to bring and use masks

Yes, examinees can bring and wear masks to the test center and wear them during testing.  At check-in, the staff should ask the examinee to take off the mask and show the staff member that nothing is written on or inside it, or attached to it.  If the examinee takes it off again during the testing, staff should inspect it again.

Can we turn the examinee away at check in if they are ill? 

Our test centers often encounter situations where examinees present themselves at a test center for testing when they are ill.  If you believe the examinee will be a distraction to other examinees when they are testing, please follow standard ACT procedures regarding distractions at the test center.  Please submit an irregularity as well, to document any action taken in this situation.  The examinee can then contact ACT Customer Care to discuss their reschedule options.

What will happen if an examinee begins testing, then reveals that they... 

...are uncomfortable testing because of the illness?

If the examinee begins testing and then feels uncomfortable about testing, please try to move the examinee to a different seat or room, if that is possible.  If you are not able to do this, the examinee can then choose to either complete the test or leave the test center.  If the examinee chooses to leave, they contact ACT Customer Care to discuss their reschedule options.

May we dismiss an examinee who is coughing during the test or move them... 

...to a separate room?

If an examinee is distracting to other examinees due to symptoms of an illness, ACT will allow the staff to move the examinee to a single room (if the space and staff are available).  Staff also have the option to dismiss the examinee and submit an irregularity. The examinee can then contact ACT Customer Care to discuss their reschedule options.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yet, with people actually very sick and dying and suffering economically we are working hard to keep disappointment in perspective. 

This. Too far away time-wise to know how things will go.

My kid asked me about camp. This summer. I said, "too early to know."

1 hour ago, MysteryJen said:

Like championship games and meets that are already canceled.

Lots of kids crushed right now.

Only some AP scores here are prerequisites for taking next year’s classes, so if we can’t show them, it will completely derail my son’s plans. Not the same. We are also dealing with cancellations to all sorts of events, but there is no alternative to calculus score. He must have one or repeat the entire thing all over again. 

No alternative to lots of things. Seniors losing out on championship events- Kids who have worked for years for these opportunities.

AP kids still have the knowledge. Colleges will understand.

As I said, lots of kids are crushed right now.

Let's be kind to all of them.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Only some AP scores here are prerequisites for taking next year’s classes, so if we can’t show them, it will completely derail my son’s plans. Not the same. We are also dealing with cancellations to all sorts of events, but there is no alternative to calculus score. He must have one or repeat the entire thing all over again. 

Given the severity of the circumstances, I suspect there will be work around.

The College Board has issued a statement regarding AP testing. Looks like they plan on staying with original exam dates and permitting some flexibility for later testing on case by case basis. I don't really think this will hold as more schools close or extend closures from the original two weeks. In Washington State, schools are closed until at least April 24.. This doesn't give much time for AP prep unless instruction continues online.

I hope they don't cancel as we have spent a lot of time preparing but it seems like there will a lot of disparity in student preparation with current chaotic situation. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 3andme said:

The College Board has issued a statement regarding AP testing. Looks like they plan on staying with original exam dates and permitting some flexibility for later testing on case by case basis. I don't really think this will hold as more schools close or extend closures from the original two weeks. In Washington State, schools are closed until at least April 24.. This doesn't give much time for AP prep unless instruction continues online.

I hope they don't cancel as we have spent a lot of time preparing but it seems like there will a lot of disparity in student preparation with current chaotic situation. 

Schools here are moving online.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:26 PM, Roadrunner said:

Unlike games that can’t be made up, I am still hopeful that schools can figure some way around an AP being canceled.  They made the rules and can change them.  Sort of like the library said not to worry about overdue fines when the closed abruptly on Friday.  They said it will show up normally on the computer, but said there won’t be fines.  If they cancel APs your child (and mine) will not be the only one affected and I feel like the schools will have to deal with it somehow. 

• Like 1

Apparently the College Board has been surveying students as to whether they would prefer a 45 minute online MC or FRQ test. There seem to be at least two versions of the emails - one for the MC option and one for the FRQ option. It seems that the MC option would be easier to administer - you could randomize the questions and grade it automatically. Curious why they would choose 45 minutes as the time limit - this is much less than the current exams, especially for the FRQ.

I think this is a move in the right direction but they definitely need to extend the testing window for many students. Not all districts are continuing with online schooling, some have just closed. Who knows in the long-run this may be beneficial for homeschoolers as we wouldn't be at the mercy of school districts to administer the exams.

12 hours ago, 3andme said:

. Curious why they would choose 45 minutes as the time limit - this is much less than the current exams, especially for the FRQ.

My guess is that if CollegeBoard decides to do the testing in schools and college auditoriums, it would be easier for social distancing if they can clear a batch of test takers every hour.

Annual state testing using smarter balanced and PARCC requires laptops so schools would know where to rent them as usual. 
AP Chinese is online so online AP exams aren’t new.

Schools are likely to not reopen this entire school year in California. Many of us are in a shelter in place lockdown already. The governor made this odd proclamation, but it makes me think - what about those students (like us homeschoolers who *want* and are ready to take the standardized tests and can't). It's fine to say kids shouldn't have the anxiety of test-taking during this crisis, but what about the anxiety of taking an entire AP class all year and not getting to take the AP test as planned? That is anxiety alone. So I think for many, if not all, there may be no AP testing... it's something we need to consider.

The state has applied for a federal waiver that means children would not have to face academic tests once they eventually return to school, said Newsom, a Democrat.

“We think it is totally inappropriate for kids to worry about coming back and being tested," he said.
--
He also said that California  is requesting a waiver from the U.S. Department of Education to suspend the state’s annual standardized tests for this year. This week, the Legislature extended the window for testing by 45 days. But Newsom said that, in speaking with State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond and President of the State Board of Education Linda Darling Hammond, he recognized eliminating testing would be best for students.