Menu

Speaking of (actual) tea, tell me about hot/herbal tea...

alisoncooks

My DD has gotten into herbal tea. They serve it at a weekly event she attends, and she'd like to have it at home. I bought her a sample pack of Bigelow (which I cannot see without saying in my head: Deuce Bigalow Male Gigalo... 😳) and so far she's content, however:

• What are your favorite brands and flavors?
  • For herbal teas, do you cover your cup when you steep it? With what? I was thinking if getting her little silicone cup-covers or a cup with a lid to go in her Easter basket...
  • Honey, sugar? 

Thanks!

I have a silicone cup cover. I only use it for herbal teas that have a long steeping time, like 6 minutes or more. Otherwise I actually prefer the water to cool a little as I can then drink it sooner. 🙂

• Like 1

yogi: throat comfort.  while it's great for sore throats - it's delicious.

I also drink peppermint - which is good for tummies.  usually celestial seasonings or stash.

eta: I don't add any honey or sugar (throat comfort is sweet all by itself.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I like some herbal teas; I like most Celestial Seasonings, except for the ones that are heavy on chamomile. Stash teas are also good.  Some taste good with honey, some with lemon, some with nothing.  I think tea is highly personal, even more so than coffee maybe. Just as an example, the yogi throat comfort mentioned above makes me feel sickly.  Straight ginger is my favorite when I don't feel well. (Can't do peppermint due to acid reflux.)

I do cover the mug while steeping, but I just put a saucer over it. I'm not into it enough to buy things just for that purpose. But if I was, a mug with matching lid would be my choice. The silicone ones I've seen are too bright/cute for me. 🙂   Purely personal opinion. 

• Like 2

I like Bigelow Vanilla Chai. No other Vanilla Chai will do. 

Dd likes Bigelow Plantation Mint. She always has good breath! lol

I don't cover.  

We use baldo tea when our tummies are upset, and throat coat when we have sore throats. My Paraguayan friend gave us Tilo for when we are really sick, but warned us "it tastes like death." It really does. 

• Like 1

A fun thread for you 

I ended up being really keen on Rooibos. It doesn't really need a sweetener and it's naturally caffeine free. Kroger has a Blood Orange Roobios that comes in bags and is affordable. It's not very strong, but it's pleasing. https://www.kroger.com/p/private-selection-blood-orange-rooibos-herbal-tea-bag/0001111088185 Someone from the boards sent me loose tea of this https://www.mariagefreres.com/UK/2-midnight-magic-rooibos-flavour-of-fruit-candy-TE9944.html  and it is QUITE good. 

• Like 1

Beware the throat coat. I know it’s very popular, but there’s something in it my family can’t tolerate. It’s literally known in my house as the vomit tea, having repeatedly earned its reputation. 😞 

DH and DS like orange herbal teas. All tea, herbal and black, make me a bit nauseous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Beware the throat coat. I know it’s very popular, but there’s something in it my family can’t tolerate. It’s literally known in my house as the vomit tea, having repeatedly earned its reputation. 😞 

DH and DS like orange herbal teas. All tea, herbal and black, make me a bit nauseous.

Yikes! I bought several boxes last week, in anticipation of possibly getting sick in the coming weeks. I did have one mug and the brand I used (Traditional Medicinals) was good...but had a very strong aspartame-like aftertaste that punches you right in the back of the throat. Other than that, I fared well. 😉

DD likes chamomile and minty things; I'm more fond of sweet or strong spices (❤️️ cinnamon). 

• Like 1

Some teas do have warnings on them, as not all herbs are safe for all people. So just be aware of that. 

For example, Traditional Medicinal Gypsy Cold Care (picked randomly) has warnings for people with various conditions and taking various medications, and advises against use by kids under 12.

• Like 1

Current faves:
Celestial Bengal Spice - no sweetener needed
Stash Decaf Earl Gray - with or without cream and sugar, good both ways
Stash Christmas Eve herbal tea - no sweetener needed, using this up, will be sad until next Christmas, lol.

I like the fruity herbal teas.  Most don't need sugar.  I do like honey in Tension Tamer.  Amazon has teacups like this, but if you have an Asian market near you, you can find something similar for about $5.

https://www.amazon.com/AWHOME-Spoon-Royal-Coffee-TeaCups/dp/B01HDE733C/ref=sr_1_33?keywords=porcelain+teacup+with+lid&qid=1583358958&sr=8-33