Menu

Coronavirus - Prepping elderly person for 14-21 days?

mlktwins

I am currently getting my dad prepped in case of isolation (either him or his apartment building or us having to stay home).  I'm not going crazy, but want to make sure I have my basic bases covered.  He does not drive, but I could have things delivered if necessary (unless everyone is made to isolate themselves).

Wondering what I should add my current list:

• water bottles for at least 3 a day for 21 days
  • I've ordered refills for all the meds I can (they are 90 day supply)
  • I currently make up his daily med containers.  I always have the current week and another week on the ready.  I am going to make up 2 more weeks worth.
  • I think I'm going to get 2 or 3 15-packs of Ensure or Boost (he drinks these anyway).
  • Foods he doesn't have to cook (or maybe just needs hot water for):
    • Soft granola/protein bars
    • Oatmeal packets
    • canned baked beans
    • bread (I'm going to freeze this)
    • peanut butter and jelly
    • canned/jarred fruits and applesauce
    • canned veggies (hope he can eat them cold if necessary)
    • spam (he won't eat canned tuna or any fish)
    • I would get oodles of noodles things, but he doesn't' eat noodles 😞
    • I will get some crackers and stuff, but man....he will eat those down in a heartbeat and maybe before he actually needs them 😞
    • What else could I do for him like this?
  • I am making sure he has enough tp, paper towles, hand soap (which he rarely uses 😞), tooth paste, soap, over the counter meds, etc.

I'm also going to write down his list of meds (I carry them in my wallet and have a copy at my house) so he can fill his own if needed while I talk him through it over the phone.  He only takes one dose a day in the morning.

I'm going to write a list of meds and medical issues, as well as my contact information, and post it on his fridge in the event 911 needs to be called.

I have stuff to clean his hearing aids, but he can't do that himself.  His hands shake too much for those little pieces.  But maybe someone in his building can if needed.

What else could I be doing?

1 minute ago, Bambam said:

I would include a list of his meds including any allergies and official medical diagnosis in his wallet as well. 

Batteries for his hearing aid? 

Good idea in his wallet!!!  I have my emergency contact info in there already.

His hearing aids are rechargeable so that will be a problem if he loses electricity!!!

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Your list is similar to mine, for an elderly.  

Don’t forget extra TP, paper towels, and paper products like paper plates if you clean up for him.  Incontinence supplies, if needed.

Maybe some extra books or magazines?

Oh yes!  Good, paper plates weren't on my list.  Maybe a set of plastic utensils.  I need to check if he has a non-electric can opener.  I'm trying to buy pull top canned items.

He likes to do puzzles (cross-word and Sudoku).  He watches A LOT OF TV so he is $%#&@ED if his electricity goes out : (.  He has a lot of books he has never read.  And jigsaw puzzles.  If he can have people come in his apartment from his building, or meet in the main room on the 1st floor, he will have all kinds of people to play card games with.  

• Like 1

Can he reliably use a microwave? I would be adding some easy to heat meals. 

I don’t think it likely that we will lose electricity or safe water. I do think it likely there will be a few weeks where y’all are sick and can’t see each other. I would do a full month of meds in pill boxes.

I would also add some safe for the elderly cold medicine, pedialyte, etc. to his stash.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Can he reliably use a microwave? I would be adding some easy to heat meals. 

I don’t think it likely that we will lose electricity or safe water. I do think it likely there will be a few weeks where y’all are sick and can’t see each other. I would do a full month of meds in pill boxes.

I would also add some safe for the elderly cold medicine, pedialyte, etc. to his stash.

Yes, he only uses the microwave and his coffee pot.  He's never turned on his stove or oven in his apartment.  I'm glad for that :-).

I've got stuff in his freezer and will look for some other easier to eat refrigerated items that don't go bad quickly.  He drinks a lot of milk.  That may be a problem.

I think I enough pill boxes for 4 weeks (which includes his current week of meds).  I will fill those and then maybe get one extra pill container.

Do you think Pedialyte or a pack of Gatorade?  

The last thing I would do is pack a hospital bag for him, with a sets of clothes, a set of loungewear, toiletries, his med history and his doctor contact info. If you can add his photo to his med history, even better. Put a bright note on his fridge with the location of his suitcase or put it by the door and label it with an orange tag or something. (Most people are told to put DNRs on their fridge here—it’s a standard place our paramedics look.) If he has advanced directives filed at the local hospital, so much the better. 

If he does get sick and you are well and an ambulance has to be called, it’s the best prep you can do for that situation.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Good idea in his wallet!!!  I have my emergency contact info in there already.

His hearing aids are rechargeable so that will be a problem if he loses electricity!!!

You can purchase one of those rechargeable battery packs at Walmart.  There is a 10,000 mah one that I've only found up by the registers there, for about $20.  You can keep it plugged in to the wall and charging, and still have two charging devices plugged into it at the same time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I would ask him. The elderly in my life have strong preferences on flavor, brands, etc.

I do all his grocery shopping either with or for him, so this is one thing I've gotten down pretty well -- LOL!  I know more about him these days than he knows about himself!

11 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

You can purchase one of those rechargeable battery packs at Walmart.  There is a 10,000 mah one that I've only found up by the registers there, for about $20.  You can keep it plugged in to the wall and charging, and still have two charging devices plugged into it at the same time.

Thank you!!!  Great idea!  he has a couple of those I will get them out and get them charging!

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

You might want to add incontinence supply and/or some extra garbage bags to throw up into for if feeling too sick to get to a bathroom.  Or to double bag potential germy garbage . 

Thank you!!!  No incontinence issues at this time, but maybe not a bad idea to have something on hand!  He would probably not be happy if he knew I bought them -- LOL.  I will hide them in a box and tell him over the phone if he needs them.

Good idea on the extra bags.  Maybe an extra trash can or bucket lined with bags too.  He isn't too fast these days, but he has never been one to throw up very often -- in all the years I remember.  Never know though...

We drink UHT shelf stable milk quite often. (I have teen boys who wipe me out and I try to grocery shop only once a week.) Parmalat is my favorite brand of shelf stable cow milk. My only recommendation is to remind him to refrigerate it to be cold before trying it for the first time. I don't mind drinking it straight off the shelf, but it's an acquired preference that came from only having a mini-fridge in my flat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We drink UHT shelf stable milk quite often. (I have teen boys who wipe me out and I try to grocery shop only once a week.) Parmalat is my favorite brand of shelf stable cow milk. My only recommendation is to remind him to refrigerate it to be cold before trying it for the first time. I don't mind drinking it straight off the shelf, but it's an acquired preference that came from only having a mini-fridge in my flat. 

Thank you!!!  What section of the store is this usually in?

It depends on the store. It is usually either in the baking section or in the alternative milks section (where they keep shelf stable almond, soy, and rice milks).  I'd say 70% of the time, it's in the baking section by the powdered milk. Powdered milk is fairly universally disgusting. 

We buy the lactose free version: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Parmalat-Lactose-Free-2-Milk-1Qt/440393546

Horizon is our second favorite version.

Beyond that, almond milk--sweetened vanilla is probably the most palatable for someone who is used to drinking cow milk. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It depends on the store. It is usually either in the baking section or in the alternative milks section (where they keep shelf stable almond, soy, and rice milks).  I'd say 70% of the time, it's in the baking section by the powdered milk. Powdered milk is fairly universally disgusting. 

We buy the lactose free version: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Parmalat-Lactose-Free-2-Milk-1Qt/440393546

Horizon is our second favorite version.

Beyond that, almond milk--sweetened vanilla is probably the most palatable for someone who is used to drinking cow milk. 

In our store it’s with the juice. Dh does the shopping bug I went twice last week looking and finally asked him. So it may take asking or looking everywhere. 

• Like 1

We picked up some water. I have nearly zero anticipation of this affecting water supply. Even though we don't think we will need it, as we were checking on other things it was a reminder that we usually intend to have a certain amount on hand and we hadn't kept up with that. We also need distilled water specifically for certain medical equipment, so we got more of that, but we don't consider it drinking water. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beaners said:

We picked up some water. I have nearly zero anticipation of this affecting water supply. Even though we don't think we will need it, as we were checking on other things it was a reminder that we usually intend to have a certain amount on hand and we hadn't kept up with that. We also need distilled water specifically for certain medical equipment, so we got more of that, but we don't consider it drinking water. 

Great reminder. I hadn't planned on buying water, but DH uses distilled in his cpap. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:48 AM, mlktwins said:

Yes, he only uses the microwave and his coffee pot.  He's never turned on his stove or oven in his apartment.  I'm glad for that :-).

I've got stuff in his freezer and will look for some other easier to eat refrigerated items that don't go bad quickly.  He drinks a lot of milk.  That may be a problem.

I think I enough pill boxes for 4 weeks (which includes his current week of meds).  I will fill those and then maybe get one extra pill container.

Do you think Pedialyte or a pack of Gatorade?  

You can get him Horizon (or other brand) shelf-stable milk. You also can get dry milk powder to have on hand in a pinch. 

https://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Organic-Lowfat-Milk-Boxes/dp/B075QBYNXT/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2P1ZOHNFRJZ9Z&keywords=horizon+milk&qid=1583084790&sprefix=horizon%2Caps%2C440&sr=8-10

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 2:16 PM, regentrude said:

Why water bottles? Are you expecting drinking water to be contaminated?

Also, if he's a coffee drinker, he needs coffee. Withdrawal is a pain.

LOL.  He has coffee (his backup is in the fridge).  His problem will be that he loves a certain brand of refrigerated creamer.  I keep him stocked, but he won’t drink the coffee without it.

I’m not expecting water disruption, but I feel better with him having a couple of cases if needed.

On 2/28/2020 at 2:26 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

I got the little they had left of the Parmalat 😁.  Do you think this be ok to use (taste wise) mac n cheese or tomato soup if we end up needing to use it when the expiration date comes?

Thank you ALL so much.  This was so very helpful.  Got his shopping taken care of and am heading back over today to fill his meds and put everything away.  Got him a battery powered lattern too that I’ve meant to get him for over a year.  Just in case.

Will type up his list of meds for his wallet and instructions for 911 and take over this week.