Menu

glasses online?

gardenmom5

During the past 2 or 3 years, we have placed several orders with Zenni Optical. Their factory is in China. We have been extremely satisfied with their service and with their products.

NOTE: Check and double check the "P.D." before you place the order. Once, an Optometrist got the P.D. for my wife wrong and she had lots of issues with those eyeglasses.  Also, if you are ordering eyeglasses for "Distance" and eyeglasses for "Near" (such as the   glasses I am wearing to use this Laptop as I type this) the P.D.s are different. As I recall, one is about 3 mm less than the other.

Which reminds me that my DW broke (destroyed might be a better word) her eyeglasses and she needs to go to an Optometrist and get a new prescription, so she can order new eyeglasses ASAP... She was not carrying them in a safe way and boom.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

ETA: They have Videos and How Tos about how to measure your own P.D. or that of someone else and how to do many adjustments and how to swap lenses if you get a replacement frame of the same model.

Edited by Lanny
clarify DW going to Optometrist for prescription, not to order glasses
  • Like 2

Dd#1 has a more complicated prescription & can definitely tell the difference between her Zennis & her 4x-5x as expensive locally ordered lenses. (Headaches if she wears them longer than a couple of hours.)

Having said that, I'm happy with Zenni for backup pairs for the kids & my main glasses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Dd#1 has a more complicated prescription & can definitely tell the difference between her Zennis & her 4x-5x as expensive locally ordered lenses. (Headaches if she wears them longer than a couple of hours.)

Having said that, I'm happy with Zenni for backup pairs for the kids & my main glasses. 

Thank you.   I have a complicated rx as well.  Prisims in both eyes,  astigmatism, progressives...  right and left are quite different in power.

Edited by gardenmom5
Autocorrect

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I have been happy with Zenni with every pair I've been able to order there, but my prescription has gotten complicated enough they can't do it anymore :(

My first 2 orders with Zenni were great.  The third was such a disaster I'll never order from them again.  I had to literally contact Visa to open a claim to get them to ship anything.  So my advice for Zenni would be:

1) Order ONE pair of glasses at a time.  DO NOT take advantage of sales or lesser shipping fees to get the same pair in sunglasses in the same order.  Just don't.  If something goes wrong with those sunglasses and they keep getting stopped at QC you'll never see your order.

2) Buy SMALL frames.  Reading glasses size.  Don't buy trendy large ones online, they cannot mark where your pupils are and you won't be able to see clearly even if they do get the prescription right.

3) If you do order sunglasses do not combine strong prescriptions with mirror lenses.  They'll tell you they can do it but they can't.

Absolutely do not under any circumstances fall in love with multiple frames and order 4 at once.  Something will go wrong and you'll not get the order, their customer service philosophy is "The customer is always wrong until VISA intervenes."

Frankly I'd check a different Costco.  Or try Sam's Club.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

My first 2 orders with Zenni were great.  The third was such a disaster I'll never order from them again.  I had to literally contact Visa to open a claim to get them to ship anything.  So my advice for Zenni would be:

1) Order ONE pair of glasses at a time.  DO NOT take advantage of sales or lesser shipping fees to get the same pair in sunglasses in the same order.  Just don't.  If something goes wrong with those sunglasses and they keep getting stopped at QC you'll never see your order.

2) Buy SMALL frames.  Reading glasses size.  Don't buy trendy large ones online, they cannot mark where your pupils are and you won't be able to see clearly even if they do get the prescription right.

3) If you do order sunglasses do not combine strong prescriptions with mirror lenses.  They'll tell you they can do it but they can't.

Absolutely do not under any circumstances fall in love with multiple frames and order 4 at once.  Something will go wrong and you'll not get the order, their customer service philosophy is "The customer is always wrong until VISA intervenes."

Frankly I'd check a different Costco.  Or try Sam's Club.

I've been to two costcos.

when I've done "small" frames, I only have a sliver of rx at the very bottom of my glasses that I can actually read with with my progressives. and because of eye muscle problems after two eye surgeries - I have a very difficult time even looking down that far.  I have to stay away from small frames - unless I want to go back to bifocals.

I've done rx sunglasses.   no more. too much hassle changing back and forth.   I just get the sunglasses that fit over.  I like the spring ones that pop on/off.  they look like glasses, and I can have any number of pairs stashed in different places.

15 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

when I've done "small" frames, I only have a sliver of rx at the very bottom of my glasses that I can actually read with with my progressives. and because of eye muscle problems after two eye surgeries - I have a very difficult time even looking down that far.  I have to stay away from small frames - unless I want to go back to bifocals.

I've done rx sunglasses.   no more. too much hassle changing back and forth.   I just get the sunglasses that fit over.  I like the spring ones that pop on/off.  they look like glasses, and I can have any number of pairs stashed in different places.

If your prescription is that complicated you will not be happy with lenses purchased online.  You need to sit in front of someone who marks your glasses where the centers of your pupils are while the frames are sitting on your face and you're looking straight ahead. 

I'm pretty sure Sam's Club has stopped asking for the card at every club until you purchase.  Check there. When I had the disaster with Zenni I checked Sam's and Costco and Walmart.  I was happiest with Sam's Club.  Check other eye doctor offices.  I absolutely do not recommend buying frames online if you have a complicated prescription.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I've done RX sunglasses and enjoyed it but my latest is the sunglasses that fit over (cheaper) and they are fairly equivalent so I probably won't go back to RX sunglasses. (Plus, dont need to rebuy when my prescription changes!)

RX goggles, OTOH< is worth it (esp if you buy the "approximate" RX that is good enough.

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Thank you.   I have a complicated rx as well.  Prisims in both eyes,  astigmatism, progressives...  right and left are quite different in power.

I have astigmatism and now progressives. I wore Zennis for several years during some lean times, and the glass from Sam's Club (which should be the same as Walmart?) was SO much better that I would never order from Zenni again. I don't know, maybe for a single vision pair of sunglasses that I just wanted to use on a cruise? 

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

dd suggested going to an "expensive" optical shop, finding frames I like - getting the info, and ordering them online.  Then taking the frames to Costco and having them do the lenses.

So I go to a very swank place in the big city, like so swank I think they have a pair of glasses I saw on Ivanka Trump. :biggrin: And I usually don't order from them because they're so $$$, but honestly the optometrists have taken a hit from Zenni too! So our swank place now has these boxes of straightforward, one price glasses. They're not hip, but I'm not hip, kwim? They had pinks and purples and clears and all kinds of cute stuff, but they're not something fashion forward enough for the Trumps. And I'm ok with that, lol.

So those glasses are $199 flat price, including progressive lenses, which means they're matching what I would have paid at Sam's Club. So we'll see. 

I tried finding online cute frames I had seen in a store, and it wasn't as easy as I had hoped. I think it's more efficient just to go to several stores that are at your pricepoint till you find one carrying glasses you like. I liked many of the glasses at Sam's Club and none of the ones at Walmart (for me). My dd on the other hand finds Sam's Club glasses are not to her taste and does great at Walmart.

If I could blow $600+ a pair, sure I'd go to the cute place in the town near me where people walk dogs to the ice cream shop and everything is extra nice. Sigh. And those frames are like $300+, which means no matter who fills the lenses you're pretty high. Around here, I could have just gone to a different shop and had it all in one. I think you'll find you have warranty issues and places not wanting to adjust the frames too much if you don't buy from them. So me, I would just keep trying stores till you find one. But I need adjustments more than anything. I went through two opticians today and nearly had a meltdown because I was like THEY'RE TOUCHING AND I REALLY MEAN NO TOUCHING!!! 

You might call around and see if any normal private optometrists are doing those red boxes of flat price glasses in your area. They realize they have to compete and are stepping up. 

That's a bummer to hear that Costco lenses for astigmatism with progressives are not satisfactory! My Sam's Club lenses were fine (astigmatism, progressives), and my dd's from Walmart (astigmatism, progressives, yes at 20, lol) are fine. And she's really tuned in on headaches.

1 hour ago, Patty Joanna said:

polycarbonate

That's going to be interesting. I had regular and workspace glasses from Sam's Club and you're right the workspace glasses were a lesser material that I'm guessing was some kind of polycarbonate. It will be interesting to see if the new glasses I'm getting are better on that. They'll be workspace from the budget box at the swank optometrist, and they're the same lens material as the regular glasses, definitely not polycarbonate. I've already seen them, and indeed they were quite clear. Maybe that was why? I just had this funky blurring on the sides and complained and when they checked it turned out they had made one eye on each pair plano!!! (need a jaw drop icon here) So that was a fiasco. They're having to remake both pairs. 

1 hour ago, Patty Joanna said:

those annoying nose pieces adjusted

Yeah, those used to kill me I'm doing better with acrylics with the built in noses. They just have to adjust carefully so they don't slide. Ds is so rough, and I was constantly getting my glasses whammed and whacked out of shape. Now I never have problems. (famous last words)

I'd just like to point out that these lab errors do happen, even with good labs. And if you order online from wherever, you're hoping they get them made correctly or within tolerances. Yes your optometrist will measure and check the scrip, sure. But there's a point where it's just sticky, where you're asking them to police another company. Our place was seeing a lot of errors with online glasses, which is why they worked hard to get an affordable line. 

7 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I  I got Costco single vision glasses for use at the computer and they are fine.  The trifocal progressives I got were horrible.  I had to get them redone after 6 months of headaches.   The lab should not have made that call...but they did.  Costco would have replaced them, but I still have the issue with the polycarbonate...

Single vision, I'll go with the cheapos.  But the all-day, every-day, complex Rx glasses--I'm never cheating on my eye doctor again!  

Also, she said that she (and many other optometrists) are now charging to repair glasses not purchased from them.  I think that's fair.  This isn't a big issue for me as I don't recall ever having broken a pair of glasses.  But I do go in a couple of times a year to get those annoying nose pieces adjusted, and there's no charge for that.  

my "office/computer glasses" from Costco have been fine.  I dont' have as much distance with them, and I do tend to forget I'm wearing them around the house . . . . . . and leave to go drive somewhere and realize the street signs are blurry . . . . oops.

my vision benefit is pretty sucky.  ($100 - and they're charging $200 - $400 just for the frames!).  that's why I end up at Costco.

My kids order from Zenni and generally like them.  I've ordered from Warby Parker, which is a little pricier than Zenni, but definitely less than an optometrist's office.  They have their own brand of frames and a limited number of styles at a time (so it's not so overwhelming), which continually change to keep up with trends.  I like their styles.  They also have actual store fronts in major cities where you can go in and try on frames, have frames adjusted, etc.

BUT, they still feel cheaper than the more expensive brands.  

5 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

my vision benefit is pretty sucky.  ($100 - and they're charging $200 - $400 just for the frames!).  that's why I end up at Costco.

Oh I get it! That's why I was ordering from Zenni. But you could call around to optometrists and see if them have any of these flat price glasses. There's a company making them and they sell through the optometrists. And for real my thick astigmatism progressives were still the $199 flat price. But yeah, how to find an optometrist using them or what that vendor is, hmm. But you could just call around and see. 

I had online glasses, cannot recall company—never managed to get them really right, but they were okay for back up   Especially if mainly using contact lenses.  

Now though I mostly use glasses, not contact lenses

recently I got new glasses through optometrist $$$!    They aren’t exactly right either, but I expect to be able to go in and get adjustments etc.  My last optometrist pair lasted 10 years so while initially expensive, the cost per day wasn’t bad. 

58 minutes ago, Pen said:

I had online glasses, cannot recall company—never managed to get them really right, but they were okay for back up   Especially if mainly using contact lenses.  

Now though I mostly use glasses, not contact lenses

recently I got new glasses through optometrist $$$!    They aren’t exactly right either, but I expect to be able to go in and get adjustments etc.  My last optometrist pair lasted 10 years so while initially expensive, the cost per day wasn’t bad. 

Wow. I've never had a pair of glasses last ten years, no matter where I got it. (And I've had them from all over. The worst was my optometrist pair I got last year. They ended up replacing them entirely)

18 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

dd suggested going to an "expensive" optical shop, finding frames I like - getting the info, and ordering them online.  Then taking the frames to Costco and having them do the lenses.

This is true of Zenni several years ago, they didn't allow me to order just frames.  I was buying a second frame because they always break long before my expensive lenses.   I ended up getting the cheapest lenses they offered.   I think they automatically upgraded the second pair because they didn't have my strong script in the cheap version.

13 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

This is true of Zenni several years ago, they didn't allow me to order just frames.  I was buying a second frame because they always break long before my expensive lenses.   I ended up getting the cheapest lenses they offered.   I think they automatically upgraded the second pair because they didn't have my strong script in the cheap version.

If I get too cheap of lens, Zenni always adds a fee for trying to make the strong script in too cheap of lens.

• Like 1

We had an issue with Zenni the first time we ordered - it took forever to get our order and customer service never responded to email inquiries.

Since then, we've ordered exclusively from 39DollarGlasses. Dh has a weird prescription (prism, something else weird) and one dd has something strange in hers. We've always been happy with what we've gotten. They usually have a coupon available and ship in about a week.