Menu

Cancer warnings on products

chocolate-chip chooky

We're looking for an elliptical cross trainer and I accidentally found myself on a US site instead of the Australian one. The products have a warning attached to them, that links to here: https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/

I've never come across anything like this before, so I don't know if it's something to actually be concerned about, or if it's a case of just about everything in our environment would have this warning.

Thoughts?

If I remember correctly, it's certain substances either used in the manufacture or the item itself that lead to such warnings. For instance, a lot of kitchen counters (of all things) carry warnings, especially cheaper Formica types. 

As far as how concerned you should be...I really can't say. I typically try to avoid stuff like this but for exercise equipment, I am not sure it's critical. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

It’s a California thing. I would totally ignore it unless you plan on grinding it up and eating or breathing it. They have put labels on literally, almost everything, including coffee, to where it is now a meaningless warning. It’s honestly ridiculous. 

I was going to say "Just don't lick the handle bars..."  🙂 Other than that it's probably fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was supposed to be meaningful but a lot of companies don’t even seem to know if they need it for their product, so put it to be in compliance at which point it’s meaningless.  

Or at least when I contacted one place to ask what about their product was carcinogenic, reply was, probably nothing, but they feel like they need to be able to buy components as needed and not carefully research everything, so they just slapped the warning on.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pen said:

It was supposed to be meaningful but a lot of companies don’t even seem to know if they need it for their product, so put it to be in compliance at which point it’s meaningless.  

Or at least when I contacted one place to ask what about their product was carcinogenic, reply was, probably nothing, but they feel like they need to be able to buy components as needed and not carefully research everything, so they just slapped the warning on.

I tried to contact the company (Nordictrack) to ask for details, but because of the time difference there was no one there. Silly me 🙄 

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky

8 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I tried to contact the company (Nordictrack) to ask for details, but because of the time difference there was no one there. Silly me 🙄 

If there’s any brass that tends to get the warning.  So do certain rubbers / plastics... 

1 minute ago, theelfqueen said:

Talk about harshing your mellow when you're walking into Disneyland 😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, maize said:

Those warnings are everywhere in California. 

The signs are at the entrance of hospitals too and many residential buildings. Starbucks has the sign too.

Hospitals should ensure that they have posted all needed signage in different areas in the hospital. For example, the food service/cafeteria sign may list acrylamide (found in French fries) or mercury (found in some fish), while an enclosed parking facility might list carbon monoxide. Other signs are needed for environmental exposure, occupational exposure, consumer products (gift shop, pharmacy), designated smoking areas, diesel generator areas and alcoholic beverages (if the hospital serves any). No warning is required for exposures resulting from prescription drugs, or emergency or urgent health care. A specific warning is required for nonemergent dental care, however.” https://www.calhospital.org/cha-news-article/hospitals-reminded-post-updated-prop-65-signs

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The signs are at the entrance of hospitals too and many residential buildings. Starbucks has the sign too.

Hospitals should ensure that they have posted all needed signage in different areas in the hospital. For example, the food service/cafeteria sign may list acrylamide (found in French fries) or mercury (found in some fish), while an enclosed parking facility might list carbon monoxide. Other signs are needed for environmental exposure, occupational exposure, consumer products (gift shop, pharmacy), designated smoking areas, diesel generator areas and alcoholic beverages (if the hospital serves any). No warning is required for exposures resulting from prescription drugs, or emergency or urgent health care. A specific warning is required for nonemergent dental care, however.” https://www.calhospital.org/cha-news-article/hospitals-reminded-post-updated-prop-65-signs

Yeah, so comforting when you're walking into the doctor's office for a prenatal appointment and the sign by the door warns you you are about to be exposed to carcinogens. I remember thinking that was so not helpful.

I'm surprised they haven't put giant signs on the freeways for people crossing the state line: "Welcome to California, this state contains chemicals known to cause cancer. Enter at your own risk!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Talk about harshing your mellow when you're walking into Disneyland 😐

I cannot tell you how much I love the phrase "harshing your mellow". 💕 I feel like a lot of things are harshing my mellow lately!

Edited by scholastica
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, maize said:

I'm surprised they haven't put giant signs on the freeways for people crossing the state line: "Welcome to California, this state contains chemicals known to cause cancer. Enter at your own risk!"

Asphalt fumes are carcinogenic and our freeways do get baked in summer heatwaves. So technically the freeways can be carcinogenic. My civil engineering lecturer told us to be done with the bitumen (asphalt) lab as soon as possible and get out of the lab once we are done with the experiment. We do the lab write up in another room instead of in the bitumen lab room.

“Over a half-million workers are exposed to fumes from asphalt, a petroleum product used extensively in road paving, roofing, siding, and concrete work. When hot asphalt is applied in a molten state, it generates toxic fumes. Workers exposed to asphalt fumes are at risk of developing headaches, rashes, cough, and possibly cancer. There is no OSHA standard for asphalt fumes. OSHA is developing an action plan to reduce worker exposures to this hazard but is not initiating rulemaking at this time.” https://www.osha.gov/archive/oshinfo/priorities/asphalt.html

• Like 3

I bought vegetable plant starts from the local nursery this summer and every pot had a cancer warning. After going home and researching it, apparently they use perlite in the potting mix which might lead to cancer if inhaled etc. same thing while buying flaxseeds at Trader Joe’s or drinking coffee at the coffee shop. Cancer warnings even at Michael’s in the craft section- makes one want to stop their kids from doing crafts. 

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Do living the handles is safe after all! Just keep your mouth closed if you trip.

Amazing how easy it was to understand that as “so licking the handles”!   I’m not going to stress about how my cellphone changes my words anymore unless someone tells me what I wrote was confusing!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

it's more to do with the litigiousness of us culture.  e.g. the US version of husquvara's chain saws give directions to not stop the blade with your hand.  the Swedish version of the directions do not.  when asked why: 'swedes would be too embarrassed to admit they did something that stupid."

and all of California's regulations.  because of how large the market is in California - what they enact, manufacturers will make and ship it to every other state because it's cheaper than making two versions.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

”Well actually , I draw stick figures showing the myriad ways people can murder themselves with heavy equipment.”

Different department, same company does all the graphic warning signs at national parks, I bet. Like this one about catching the plague at the Grand Canyon.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 9:14 AM, SusanC said:

Like this one about catching the plague at the Grand Canyon.

Multilingual sign 🙂

There is a palm tree very near my patio, near enough for the squirrel to land on my bedroom window in the middle of the night probably by hopping from my patio. He has a nest in the palm tree and we can hear him chewing the tree daily.

Edited by Arcadia
Removed photo
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2019 at 5:59 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

It’s a California thing. I would totally ignore it unless you plan on grinding it up and eating or breathing it. They have put labels on literally almost everything, including coffee, to where it is now a meaningless warning. It’s honestly ridiculous. 

THIS

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 10:40 AM, mathnerd said:

I bought vegetable plant starts from the local nursery this summer and every pot had a cancer warning. After going home and researching it, apparently they use perlite in the potting mix which might lead to cancer if inhaled etc. same thing while buying flaxseeds at Trader Joe’s or drinking coffee at the coffee shop. Cancer warnings even at Michael’s in the craft section- makes one want to stop their kids from doing crafts. 

And the whole thing about coffee causing cancer is because of bad science experiments.  What we do know is that it helps with memory and fatigue, including Alzheimer patients, reduces chances of getting type 2 diabetes, and a number of other good side effects.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

When our tractor gets back from the mechanic I’m going to take some pics for y’all of the tractor death signs. 

When we lived in Belgium, we bought some house hold outdoor type work equipment and they were so much cheaper there - things like ladders and a lawn mower.  But the lawn mower was one that had was being sold in US too and the English language part of the brochure had all the warnings required in the US including not using the lawn mower to trim your hedges and other totally ridiculous things.  Oh and the reason things like ladders, lawn mowers and chain saws were so much cheaper is that in Belgium and I think in almost all European countries, loser pays the court costs and you will not win a case by doing something idiotic with your lawn mower or using your ladder incorrectly.  Falling off a ladder would not win a lawsuit unless the new ladder steps suddenly broke while holding a person within the recommended weight limit.  I wish we had that system in the US.  And I am very happy my state hasn't gone along with idiotic cancer warnings on everything.

• Like 1

US culture isn't particularly litigious. The issue is that we don't have universal, single-payer healthcare - so if you fall off a ladder or get hurt in a chainsaw accident, your insurance is going to try to get somebody else to pony up if at all possible, and that requires lawsuits. Most of those cases of "So-and-so v The Evil Ladder Chainsaw Company" are really "So-and-so's insurance v the other guy's insurance".

But meanwhile, people would rather crack jokes about "stupid lawsuits" rather than remedying the situation that makes those lawsuits happen.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2