Menu

What is the best shower stall cleaner you ever used?

SereneHome

I had been using the gallon sized tube cleaner from Home Depot for around $10. Then discovered the gallon sized Awesome Tub and Bath cleaner for $2.99 at the dollar store.  The cheaper brand works so much better.  I just spray on a couple of times a week before I take a shower.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, gstharr said:

I had been using the gallon sized tube cleaner from Home Depot for around $10. Then discovered the gallon sized Awesome Tub and Bath cleaner for $2.99 at the dollar store.  The cheaper brand works so much better.  I just spray on a couple of times a week before I take a shower.  

You don't have to scrub or wipe down the walls or floor after you've sprayed the cleaner?

15 minutes ago, aaplank said:

You don't have to scrub or wipe down the walls or floor after you've sprayed the cleaner?

If it is built up, you might need to clean first.  But, I just spray on about 15 minutes before I shower.  The tub is shiny.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, gstharr said:

Then discovered the gallon sized Awesome Tub and Bath cleaner for $2.99 at the dollar store.  The cheaper brand works so much better.  I just spray on a couple of times a week before I take a shower.  

Ok, this necessitates a trip to Dollar Tree. But what if I don't want to shower with cleaner? Then I just let it sit an hour and wipe down? 

99 ct store is where I generally go. But most dollars store carry the Awesome brand.  Most of the Awesome products are great.  Look up the reviews. I particularly like the grill and oven cleaner (99ct) for cleaning my car rims. 

eta: Also the Awesome Cleaning Vinegar is great.  I poor about a 1/2 cup in the bottom of the air fryer bowl, and burned on pots.  the pots just need light scrubbing. 

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tbog said:

It requires scrubbing the first time, but the absolute best cleaner I have found is a half and half mix of blue Dawn dish soap and white vinegar. We moved into an older house, and the tub had all sorts of hard water and soap scum stains. We tried every commercial cleaner out there and none of them did much. Someone told me about the Dawn and vinegar mixture, and I figured it couldnt hurt to try. I sprayed it on and left it a couple hours. I used a brush and a plastic scrubber thing, and I was amazed at how clean my tub got. Now I just spray it on one a week or so, and do a quick scrub over the tub and shower walls, and it stays pretty clean. 

Interesting! I did that on my dog for fleas... 

4 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

What if you can't get Dawn brand? I just can't find it here in Australia. Any other brands that work as well?

Probably whatever is the major dish detergent brand. Just not dilute, crappy stuff. 

18 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Probably whatever is the major dish detergent brand. Just not dilute, crappy stuff. 

So Dawn isn't magic? Everything I've ever read about this specifies Dawn and blue Dawn at that.

ETA: I think I'm looking for my shower to magically clean itself 🙄

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, tbog said:

It requires scrubbing the first time, but the absolute best cleaner I have found is a half and half mix of blue Dawn dish soap and white vinegar. We moved into an older house, and the tub had all sorts of hard water and soap scum stains. We tried every commercial cleaner out there and none of them did much. Someone told me about the Dawn and vinegar mixture, and I figured it couldnt hurt to try. I sprayed it on and left it a couple hours. I used a brush and a plastic scrubber thing, and I was amazed at how clean my tub got. Now I just spray it on one a week or so, and do a quick scrub over the tub and shower walls, and it stays pretty clean. 

I use this. When I first started using it, I was told to leave it on overnight then rinse it in the morning. So I left it on and found my ceramic tiles had streaks where the solution sat. I rinsed it off, but when the tiles are wet, they still show some streaking. So be aware when you use it not to leave it on too long.

4 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

What if you can't get Dawn brand? I just can't find it here in Australia. Any other brands that work as well?

this is what I found for dawn dish soap Australia.

Dawn in Australia is called Fairy (or texol). It is made by the same company.

Fairy it's good but not as good as Dawn was.

someone said Costco australia had it, another said the store "cheap as chips".

others said they ordered off of amazon.

www.groceryrun.com.au

https://www.fishpond.com.au/c/Health/q/Dawn+Dishwashing+Liquid

I thought this one interesting - all the different types of dawn, and uses in homemade cleaners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I found a recipe for one I'm wont to try.

vinegar, dawn and water.  this is for the penetrating soap scum cleaner.

this one is for daily use.  - it will prevent, but not clean, soap scum build up.

I tried the Dawn with vinegar yesterday and was not impressed.  Maybe I didn't spray enough on, leave it long enough (or maybe too long)...it was on about an hour.   Maybe I will try again and see if it works better now that I got layer one off.

Dawn & Vinegar work great for hard water deposits and soap scum, but it has to be boiling hot.  Leave it for 20 minutes, wipe out with DRY towels (do NOT use water), repeat if neccessary.

Tilex with Bleach work much better than anything else I've tried for mildew, slime, and other random non-soap scum grossness.  The fumes are bad compared to all the environmentally friendly stuff I've tried, but it gets the shower much cleaner with much less effort than anything else.  Spray, wait 20 minutes, rinse.  Repeat if it's really bad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I tried the Dawn with vinegar yesterday and was not impressed.  Maybe I didn't spray enough on, leave it long enough (or maybe too long)...it was on about an hour.   Maybe I will try again and see if it works better now that I got layer one off.

I've never been impressed by it, either. It stinks and is a mess and does pretty much nothing. Neither did oven cleaner. But I think water quality/composition plays a huge part in what type of gunk one is dealing with and in what works or not to clean it. As far as I can tell our water here is pretty neutral--neither very hard nor very soft.

The best remedy for shower/tub cleaning I've found is to stick with Dove body wash. There's no soap scum to deal with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

The best remedy for shower/tub cleaning I've found is to stick with Dove body wash. There's no soap scum to deal with.

Ooo, maybe you're onto something there! My dh's shower/tub is MUCH worse than mine (he showers in the basement so he can have his own closet) and maybe it's the soap he's using, hmm. Need some man wash, hahaha. I'll bet they make such a thing now, lol.

• Like 1