Menu

How sick is my kid?

cave canem

How bad does this sound?

My son is in college far away.  He seems to be very sick.  He says he has an unbearable sore throat and earache which has been getting worse since Sunday.  He can’t swallow.

His went to campus health and the doc swabbed for strep (negative) and then sent him away.    

He is miserable and not functioning.

I am concerned that he could be dehydrating.  I also wonder whether his airway could become compromised if his throat becomes more swollen.

I am really concerned!  Should he go to the hospital?  I am not sure what to tell him.

Edited by cave canem

1 minute ago, cave canem said:

He says he can get back to campus health in the morning.  Is it OK to wait or should I tell him to go out tonight?

If the campus Dr. wasn't any help the first time, I'd advise him to check out an urgent care/walk in clinic with a different Dr. that may take his symptoms more seriously. 

If there is a university hospital with an urgent care, that might be a good option because lab test can be run in-house.

My kid gets an earache when his ears are clogged while sick. Clearing some ear wax helped in his case. We also use wasabi to clear the nose and throat, it gets the nose running and kind of activate the gag reflux for my kids.

I agree that he needs to be tested for mono. I had it as a teen, and by the time they figured out it was mono and not strep I was so dehydrated that you could pinch my skin and it would stay that way. They told me if I'd waited another day to come in I likely would have died. He needs to get checked asap. Dehydration can happen fast when you're that sick. Tell him to demand IV fluids if he can't swallow. 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, cave canem said:

How bad does this sound?

My son is in college far away.  He seems to be very sick.  He says he has an unbearable sore throat and earache which has been getting worse since Sunday.  He can’t swallow.

His went to campus health and the doc swabbed for strep (negative) and then sent him away.    

He is miserable and not functioning.

I am concerned that he could be dehydrating.  I also wonder whether his airway could become compromised if his throat becomes more swollen.

I am really concerned!  Should he go to the hospital?  I am not sure what to tell him.

A quick strep test is not the end. They should/usually run a long culture but he won't get the results for 2 days.

I'd try to get him in some where else. 

Does he advocate well for himself when he is sick? My boys don't so I really need to push them to be specific and not to leave any symptoms out.

I'm really sorry!

Edited by unsinkable

15 minutes ago, kand said:

Did they test him for mono? My university health clinic missed it when I had it. Sore throat is one of the symptoms. 

I agree, sounds like mono.  Urgent care if he's not drinking and having trouble breathing. 

I just had these same symptoms and I am still recovering from it but the severe sore throat and ear ache only lasted a few days. It was viral and didn't require any treatment. I was able to stay hydrated by just drinking one 32 ounce Gatorade everyday. He can probably wait til tomorrow and mention mono when he goes in then.

• Like 1

I know he said he can't swallow...But I'd try children's liquid ibuprofen, bc it helps with swelling. There are also feverall acetaminophen rectal suppositories, which are a hard sell for most people. 

If he can reduce the pain even a bit enough to get hydration in, it would help a lot.

• Like 3

My dd had something similar last fall. They sent her home, too. They did test for sfrep and mono--negative in her case. She survived on ibuprofen, salt water gargling, and throat coat tea. They said come back in 5 days if you are still experiencing the same symptoms.  5 days! 

3 minutes ago, cave canem said:

My son went back to his campus clinic this morning.  His monospot was negative.  They gave him an antiobiotic for tonsillitis.

He also takes ibuprofen and acetaminophen. He tells me now he feels worse and can't eaten. 

How big is the college? Can you call the head of Residence Life? Or even Dean of Students? 

And ask for someone to shop for him/check in on him?

His symptoms are like my 18 year old son’s from a few weeks back.  It turned out to be strep and mono. He was very close to being hospitalized. He couldn’t swallow...and only because I was on top of him day and night did we keep enough liquid down him to avoid dehydration.

i hope he is better today. 

I'm glad he's on antibiotics.  I was going to suggest tonsillitis.  If your ds can manage, the antibiotics should start kicking in after 24 hours.  My dd had tonsillitis a number of years ago.  Her throat was really painful and swollen, but the antibiotics did the trick.  Gargling with warm salt water as often as needed helps.  It helps take away the pain.  He can try warm tea with honey.  The honey might feel good on his throat.  Or warm chicken broth.  And keep up with pain meds.  Does he have a roommate or someone who can help him?  

My dd ended up having more tonsil issues later, and actually ended up having both her tonsils and her adenoids removed.  It solved her constant throat infections once and for all, and stopped her snoring!