Menu

Weight Loss Accountability Thread :)

MercyA

8 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Well that's because cookies are just okay to me. Ice cream is a different story. Most ice cream brands say a serving is 1/2 cup. Me trying to eat only 1/2 cup of ice cream would be like you trying to eat only 2 cookies.

Yes!  Ice cream and baked goods are my biggest weaknesses!  My abdominal surgery was last June, and then July was Nat'l Ice Cream month.  Ice cream was one of the few foods that sat well with my new digestive system and I ate way too much of it.  I am sure it was the ice cream and peanut butter that caused my big weight gain last year.  And I don't think anyone eats a 1/2 cup of ice cream.  What a ridiculous serving size.  I think some companies have changed it to 2/3 cup, which isn't much better.

7 hours ago, Big Buckin' Longhorn said:

I began my weight loss journey in Jan 2015 and lost 120 lbs over 2 years. Then I joined a very intensive internship as part of grad school along with academic employment for the tuition reimbursement and fell into poor eating habits due to stress and lack of time. I’ve gained about 20 lbs back.  Not terrible but definitely not ideal. 

Jessica Smith and Peanut are my best friends. She can have all of money. Seriously! 

Congratulations on the weight loss!  That is a big accomplishment.  I think Jessica Smith and Peanut are adorable.  I don't do her workouts often but I love her.

4 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

I made these https://hungryhobby.net/peanutbutter-protein-balls/ but I won’t make them again. For the calories (65) it wasn’t filling enough at all. I can get a protein One bar for 90 cal that tastes better and is more filling. 

My kids make similar protein balls and I stay away from them for the same reason.  But my sons are always actively trying to gain weight/mucle so the protein balls are perfect for them. The ones they make are delicious, though.    

4 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

I have been super dizzy lately (when I stand up). It has happened before and is probably related to electrolytes. So I did another 15 min workout in the afternoon but lounged around most of the evening. I drank a couple sports drinks and maybe that helped. Hopefully I feel perkier today. 

Yesterday I stuck to my calorie budget but felt like I snacked all day. I’ve pre-tracked today’s food, including a Whooper Jr. (310) if we go on base for lunch. I plan to bring Popchips (100) and skip the fries. 

I get that way, too, with the dizziness but I attribute it to low blood pressure.  I never thought of electrolytes.  I should keep that in mind.  Good job planning ahead for today's food!  I don't eat meals - I only eat snacks because I like to eat frequently.  So I eat little bits all day long.  It helps me mentally to know I can eat again soon so this works best for me but it's not so good if I get stuck going out to eat or something like that because I hate eating a full meal.  

• Like 4

Yesterday was a BUSY one. And we had a potluck - I enjoyed a couple of dishes I didn't make and I have no clue the nutrition facts but I just ate a serving. I also made homemade naan bread and I ate 3.5 pieces of that- they weren't huge pieces but that was too much I'm sure! Doing rough estimates searching general info online it looks like I stayed within maintenance though, so I'm calling that a win because the bread was delicious : )  🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Thank you for the heads up on them not being filling.   Then it isn't worth me making them.  I would just eat the entire batch in a binge.  They look delicious though.

I made a 230 cal smoothie with almost the same ingredients and it was much more filling and tastier (no concentrated protein powder flavor). I might start making these every morning!

1 cup water

1/2 cup cold brew coffee 

1 scoop Quest vanilla protein powder (110)

12 g chocolate PB2 (45)

3 oz frozen banana (75)

I blended that all up and it was GOOD!

I made my meal plan for the week, including these appetizers: https://peasandcrayons.com/2013/03/shortcut-spanakopita.html. For dinners I am making beef enchiladas, stuffed pepper casserole, lentil & sausage soup, coconut curry chicken w/ rice, and a cheesy chicken pasta dish. Each dinner is around 400-500 cal.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Hi Laura!  I'm going to have to break down and use my Kindle and try out that book.    I love that it looks science based.  

The last few days have been a wash for me.  I haven't kept track and we've eaten out far too much.  I'm going to try and go back and update my fitness pal.  

It's more a general nutrition book, framed by debunking some non-scientific wellness doctrines, than a diet book. She is recovering from orthorexia and is keen on eating a full range of whole foods, rather than demonising particular nutrients.

@Big Buckin' Longhorn, great to see you here and so glad to have you!

I was feeling like I just wanted to eat and eat so I came here and reading your posts helped a lot. I have my evening snack already budgeted and if I have a small dinner I should still make it today! 

I love Vitamin Water Zero for electrolytes. It's a little pricey, so I don't get it all the time, but it's delicious for zero calories and I like the ingredients much more than those in diet pop. I have a hard time drinking plain water.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

I made a 230 cal smoothie with almost the same ingredients and it was much more filling and tastier (no concentrated protein powder flavor). I might start making these every morning!

1 cup water

1/2 cup cold brew coffee 

1 scoop Quest vanilla protein powder (110)

12 g chocolate PB2 (45)

3 oz frozen banana (75)

I blended that all up and it was GOOD!

I made my meal plan for the week, including these appetizers: https://peasandcrayons.com/2013/03/shortcut-spanakopita.html. For dinners I am making beef enchiladas, stuffed pepper casserole, lentil & sausage soup, coconut curry chicken w/ rice, and a cheesy chicken pasta dish. Each dinner is around 400-500 cal.

That looks like a smoothie I'd like. I've been afraid to try protein powder because I don't think I'd like it.

43 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

It's more a general nutrition book, framed by debunking some non-scientific wellness doctrines, than a diet book.

That's the kind of thing I like. She'd be preaching to the choir in my case but sometimes we all need validation. I don't mind being in the choir.

5 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

Oh my goodness! I didn't click on your link until after I responded to the smoothie part of your post. I just found a new recipe blog. We're dedicated omnivores but I try to make meatless meals once or twice a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

Hi Laura!  I'm going to have to break down and use my Kindle and try out that book.    I love that it looks science based.  

The last few days have been a wash for me.  I haven't kept track and we've eaten out far too much.  I'm going to try and go back and update my fitness pal.  

The Kindle version is currently $9.99. That's still $20 less than the hardcover (apparently there's no paperback) but I think I'll keep an eye on it and see if it ever goes on sale.

I have the same problem when I don't track my food. I think I'm doing just fine by keeping track mentally only to later realize how off I was and how much I overate. When we eat out if I can't get the nutrition info for my meal I try to find one that's comparable online and count it that way. I like when restaurant menus have a section for lower calorie meals so it's easier to find something I like that won't make me feel guilty.

• Like 4

@MercyA I may have to give the Vitamin Water Zero a try. One of my medications gives me a severe dry mouth and drinking water doesn't touch it. My mouth goes back to being dry the moment I swallow and that's where my downfall comes with diet soda. My guess is that it's the flavor remaining in my mouth that helps trick my mind from the dry feeling. I could be wrong but it wouldn't hurt to try. Chewing gum helps but after a while my jaw starts to hurt.

Today went according to plan. My normal breakfast, salad for lunch, didn't need a snack because lunch was late, a typical dinner. No slips or slides.

I'm not feeling very positive about my weigh in coming up on Monday. I went to put on a pair of jeans and they didn't fit. It's the only thing I have that doesn't (a lot are in the tight range though) but it sure was a shocker. Feeling a little bummed about that.

• Like 1

I'm going to be about 165 calories over today--but I need to remind myself that even that is still much less than I was eating previously! I've just been feeling really jittery the last couple days, which is unusual for me. I think maybe there's something I'm not getting nutritionally, so I took a big dose of Floravital (iron plus b vitamins) just now and hopefully that's do the trick. I had some cheese and crackers with it, hence the extra calories.

I need to start doing better nutritionally. I'm doing pretty well calorie wise, but I'm definitely eating some junky stuff, like Slimfast shakes (but they are filling and they taste so good...). I'm just lazy. I need to come up with some super quick, super easy fruit and veg snacks. I used to chop up an apple and microwave it with a bit of cinnamon and sugar. I should start doing that again.

I appreciate you all so much!!! Good night! 🌜

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MercyA said:

I was feeling like I just wanted to eat and eat so I came here and reading your posts helped a lot. I have my evening snack already budgeted and if I have a small dinner I should still make it today! 

I love Vitamin Water Zero for electrolytes. It's a little pricey, so I don't get it all the time, but it's delicious for zero calories and I like the ingredients much more than those in diet pop. I have a hard time drinking plain water.

I drink way too much diet pop. I gave it up years ago and then slowly started drinking more and more of it and now I drink an embarrassing amount.  Nice job coming here when you felt like eating - glad it helped! 

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'm not feeling very positive about my weigh in coming up on Monday. I went to put on a pair of jeans and they didn't fit. It's the only thing I have that doesn't (a lot are in the tight range though) but it sure was a shocker. Feeling a little bummed about that.

I hate when stuff like that happens.  It can be so upsetting.  Fingers crossed that those jeans loosen up and the weigh in goes well.  But no matter what,  what's important is that you stay consistent - everything else will fall into place.

1 hour ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I really need to get back to exercising.  It had been going very well and I had a good routine down,  then in November I broke out in hives (which I had been doing for months...but they usually went away fairly quickly and weren't huge hives).  The hives were absolutely huge and spreading.   After being seen by Immunology, it turns out I have Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria (chronic hives and they have no clue why) with angioedema (my lips and face also swell).  Sweating/getting hot can make them worse.  I am on medicine to hopefully get it into remission, but I am not there yet.  So even though they are smaller and not as many, I have put off resuming exercising.  At this point, I just simply need to get back into the exercise routine and see what happens with my hives.  But, oh man,  getting back into that habit after over 2 months off, is hard!  Which is why I am posting this!  I NEED to get back to it.  So, for accountability, I am putting it out there.  Goal: to work out 2 times this upcoming week.  Just 2 times.........nice and simple to encourage myself to do it.

How awful about the hives and swelling!  I hope you are in remission soon.  That sounds miserable.  Your exercise goal sounds very doable.  

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I'm going to be about 165 calories over today--but I need to remind myself that even that is still much less than I was eating previously! I've just been feeling really jittery the last couple days, which is unusual for me. I think maybe there's something I'm not getting nutritionally, so I took a big dose of Floravital (iron plus b vitamins) just now and hopefully that's do the trick. I had some cheese and crackers with it, hence the extra calories.

It's so important to keep things in perspective like you did by reminding yourself that you're eating much less than you used to even if you went a little over your calorie goal.  

• Like 2

I had a good day but was more hungry than usual so I don't know if I just haven't been eating enough or if I've been bumping up my workouts too much.  Tomorrow will be a challenge for me because I'll be in the house by myself tomorrow night and it's always a struggle for me not to binge when I'm alone.  If I'm feeling more hungry than usual like I did today it will be even more challenging.  

• Like 3

We went to a thrift store today and I got a couple of $3 dresses! They are sizes 10 & 12 (A year ago I was an 18/20).

I also bought a giant pill dispenser for rationing our candy. I had divided up Christmas candy into 100-cal packs and this gives me place to put them. I actually won’t eat them everyday but it’s comforting (to me) to know I can.

I was so hungry by the time we got lunch that I bought a full-size Whopper w/o mayo (500), but it kept me full so I had only a tiny afternoon snack. It all worked out.

Last night I queued up a 90s dance playlist on Spotify, and hubby and I danced and jogged around our living room for half an hour. It ended up being a nice fun workout. I hope me neighbors enjoyed the show!

16720276-19DD-49DE-9A6A-F052E9879B1E.jpeg

6EE87FA5-E412-4029-959D-303544AD758B.jpeg

D4BFE931-B478-4064-82A1-226081178AED.jpeg

• Like 9

@ondreeuh  Great finds at the thrift store!  You look lovely in the dresses and I love the idea of the candy rationing!  I can't believe you got those dresses for only $3!  Nice job satisfying your hunger with the whopper but not allowing that to mess up your entire day.  And what a fun workout for you and DH!  🙂  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kassia said:

@ondreeuh  Great finds at the thrift store!  You look lovely in the dresses and I love the idea of the candy rationing!  I can't believe you got those dresses for only $3!  Nice job satisfying your hunger with the whopper but not allowing that to mess up your entire day.  And what a fun workout for you and DH!  🙂  

Thank you! I love the thrill of a good deal. I used to go to thrift stores regularly, but in Belgium they are not common. The one I went to yesterday is kind of far away and only open 2/3 times a week so I don't get there often, and I usually don't find anything great. I also got a few tee shirts and some pajama pants.

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but having candy around makes me feel much less restricted, which makes it easier on me. And sometimes it feels really good/strong to intentionally choose not to eat it. Homemade cookies (or really any baked goods) are a different story - maybe because they are a lot more perishable or harder to replace. But I can buy a bag of candy any time so it's not "special," if that makes sense. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kassia said:

I had a good day but was more hungry than usual so I don't know if I just haven't been eating enough or if I've been bumping up my workouts too much.  Tomorrow will be a challenge for me because I'll be in the house by myself tomorrow night and it's always a struggle for me not to binge when I'm alone.  If I'm feeling more hungry than usual like I did today it will be even more challenging.  

Does it work for you to make plans to be out of the house when you'd otherwise be alone? Maybe you could walk around a mall that is open late while listening to a podcast? I have been known to slam down a series of Pepsi Max cans - they are super sweet and filling. Not sure what flavors are available in the states, but I can rotate between lemon, cherry, and ginger. I feel like I'm totally indulging, and while diet soda isn't the healthiest thing, it's better than the alternative.

I hate those days when I'm more hungry than usual - I try to eat bell peppers, steamed broccoli, etc. if I think I just need more bulk to fill my stomach. Sometimes I have a tbsp of peanut butter if I think my body wants some fat to digest. It's kind of a guessing game. I have a theory that I am hungrier and/or craving more food when I ate less the previous day, so I am trying to be consistent about eating enough calories every day even if I could comfortably eat less. It's the same reason I moved my dessert to mid-day. If I eat a light breakfast and light lunch, the afternoon munchies hit me HARD. So now I plan for a bigger lunch and a full snack, and then I'm satisfied with a smaller dinner. If I can keep myself from getting too hungry, I can stay a lot more mindful - but once I get that starving/deprived feeling, it is sooooo much harder. 

Hopefully your night goes well.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MercyA said:

I need to start doing better nutritionally. I'm doing pretty well calorie wise, but I'm definitely eating some junky stuff, like Slimfast shakes (but they are filling and they taste so good...). I'm just lazy. I need to come up with some super quick, super easy fruit and veg snacks. I used to chop up an apple and microwave it with a bit of cinnamon and sugar. I should start doing that again.

I used to eat so little veg. It never sounded good and I would put off eating it until it rotted in the fridge 😉 (I know I'm not the only one!). I have gradually made veg a regularly part of my diet. Some things that helped - I pre-track veggies into my day; like I know for my afternoon snack I'm going to have celery and cucumber. It's already planned for. Instead of sandwiches, I make wraps and I fill them with peppers, cucumber, arugula, tomatoes, etc. I put sauteed zucchini in tons of stuff: omelettes, pasta sauce, soup, etc. I have an air fryer and it is GREAT for roasting cauliflower and pumpkin (which is way less starchy than sweet potato but tastes about the same). Celery root is one of my favorite veggies and it is very low-starch - it can be oven roasted or boiled & pureed (to make a soup or a mashed potato sub). And of course steamed broccoli always works in a pinch when I need veggies to round out a small, heavy meal.

I also have looked for different spreads. I keep hearing that Aldi & Trader Joes in the states have deicious low-cal dips. I made a "brownie batter" hummus by blending chickpeas, cocoa powder, sweetener & I think almond milk into a paste. That was really good. You can get the packets of veggie dip powder and mix it into nonfat yogurt or cottage cheese. 

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I have done pretty good today.  Not as well as I wanted, but not bad either.  I also feel bloated, which isn't helping.

I really need to get back to exercising.  It had been going very well and I had a good routine down,  then in November I broke out in hives (which I had been doing for months...but they usually went away fairly quickly and weren't huge hives).  The hives were absolutely huge and spreading.   After being seen by Immunology, it turns out I have Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria (chronic hives and they have no clue why) with angioedema (my lips and face also swell).  Sweating/getting hot can make them worse.  I am on medicine to hopefully get it into remission, but I am not there yet.  So even though they are smaller and not as many, I have put off resuming exercising.  At this point, I just simply need to get back into the exercise routine and see what happens with my hives.  But, oh man,  getting back into that habit after over 2 months off, is hard!  Which is why I am posting this!  I NEED to get back to it.  So, for accountability, I am putting it out there.  Goal: to work out 2 times this upcoming week.  Just 2 times.........nice and simple to encourage myself to do it.

I'm so sorry about the urticaria! There is a very sweet homeschooling mama blogger who deals with this too. She has some advice about what has & hasn't helped her. http://verymom.com/2018/09/01/an-update-on-chronic-idiopathic-urticaria-aka-a-condition-from-the-devils-own-butthole/ (she has a very good sense of humor about it!).

The only time I've gotten hives was when we got a hot tub. It took a ridiculously long time to figure out that the heat was triggering my hives. Would swimming possibly work? That has to make exercise such a challenge.

• Like 1

I didn’t track yesterday but I feel like I did okay. I definitely know by now now many calories are in most foods. Tracking makes sure I face reality but I like to be a bit looser on the weekends. 

My ds turns 16 tomorrow and we are celebrating today. I’ll be making a cookie cake and homemade pizza. I’m sure I’ll have a piece of the cake and a piece of pizza but if I am sensible the rest of the day that can be okay. Hitting the grocery store  after church for all my salad and healthy eating staples for the week so i’ll have options. 

I don’t exercise on the weekends so it will be good to get back on that routine tomorrow.

• Like 3

I switched to dark chocolate a couple of years go.  I've been working my way up to higher cocoa percentages.  It's very satisfying to have some dark chocolate and a cup of hot chamomile tea after dinner each night.

Saturdays are days I know I will eat the most unhealthy food of the week, so I focus on keeping it to a minimum, not keeping it nutritious.  Middle daughter and SIL brought lunch and D&D to play with husband and youngest daughter. I managed to keep my intermittent fast, ordered a half sandwich from the deli, drank half the soda, and at all the chips.  I should've only had half of them.  Then there were the half dozen Girl Scout cookies which should've only been 3. We went to pizza for dinner and I managed to keep it to 2 slices, but I did order a soda because then I was craving sugar from the large amount of cookies. I only drank half. Of course I was craving dessert, but I managed to watch some Netflix while working on a quilting project, so I maintained my intermittent fast before bed. 

The last couple of hours (starting now) of my intermittent fast will be doing yardwork.  Before I go out I'm going to pick something nutritious from the bulk cooking in the freezer to avoid the temptation of fast food, which is what I crave in this situation.   Sometimes already deciding helps. Five more pounds, five more pounds, five more pounds, five more pounds, five more pounds..... 

• Like 1

Today has been an odd day. My DIL asked if I'd like to do lunch so we went to Olive Garden where it is easy to eat healthy because there really aren't a lot of options if you are vegan and don't want spaghetti. So I had the soup (110 calories/serving and I had 2 servings) and salad, which is essentially just lettuce. I skip the dressing because it isn't vegan and use balsamic vinegar instead. I also skipped the bread. Essentially, a very low calorie lunch. So yay, right? But then we go shopping and discover a new cookie dough place. Well surely they aren't going to have any vegan options are they? Uh, yeah they did. I caved and got a small size which is two scoops. I only ate half of one scoop and threw the rest away. I don't know how many calories were in that cookie dough but paired with my low calorie lunch, I may be okay. I'll have a small dinner just in case.

• Like 4

We are not big Super Bowl fans, but we will watch later today, and I want to make sure I don't go crazy with eating snacks. I have a few different things (that I don't love) for the kids and I have some veggies for a veggie tray. I will make a big patch of Chicken Tortilla Soup for dinner, which is fairly low carb (without the tortilla!) 

I would usually bake cookies, but I'm afraid I won't have enough self control today, so I think I won't...  

Yesterday I met all of my healthy goals, generally Saturdays are my worst days and I undo all of the hard work of the week before, but yesterday was great:

• walk/jog
  • no sugar
  • on plan eating/water
  • to bed early

I'm doing good so far today and I have a plan for the rest of the day.  I need to find a good weight-loss blog or podcast to read/listen to...

• Like 2

@WendyLady Having a plan is half the battle. It's easy to not overdue when you know what's happening next. I'm like you where I don't bring food in the house that I can't resist or can't control the amount I eat. Not fair to everyone else but the way I see it is if it isn't good for me, it's probably not good for them either.😁

• Like 2

11 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

My ds turns 16 tomorrow and we are celebrating today. I’ll be making a cookie cake and homemade pizza. I’m sure I’ll have a piece of the cake and a piece of pizza but if I am sensible the rest of the day that can be okay. 

Hope your ds has a wonderful birthday!  The cake and pizza sound delicious!  

10 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

I switched to dark chocolate a couple of years go.  I've been working my way up to higher cocoa percentages. 

My dd keeps increasing her cocoa percentages, too.  We got her 90% for Christmas and she loved it.  I am surprising her with 92% for Valentine's Day.  Pretty soon she'll just be eating pure cocoa! 

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Today has been an odd day. My DIL asked if I'd like to do lunch so we went to Olive Garden where it is easy to eat healthy because there really aren't a lot of options if you are vegan and don't want spaghetti. So I had the soup (110 calories/serving and I had 2 servings) and salad, which is essentially just lettuce. I skip the dressing because it isn't vegan and use balsamic vinegar instead. I also skipped the bread. Essentially, a very low calorie lunch. So yay, right? But then we go shopping and discover a new cookie dough place. Well surely they aren't going to have any vegan options are they? Uh, yeah they did. I caved and got a small size which is two scoops. I only ate half of one scoop and threw the rest away. I don't know how many calories were in that cookie dough but paired with my low calorie lunch, I may be okay. I'll have a small dinner just in case.

That is so sweet that your DIL invited you for lunch!  I hope to have that kind of relationship someday with my (future) DILs.  I'm in awe of you that you could throw away the cookie dough.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Ugh.........today was a calorie nightmare!  I went way over (too much to even begin to calculate).   It has been a long time since I had such a horrible eating day.  The key thing, for me, is to stop it at one bad day.  It is very very hard for me to just have one bad day.   I desperately want this to be the time it is just one bad day and not several in a row.  I don't want to undo all the hard work I have accomplished.

Tomorrow will be a good food day.....tomorrow will be a good food day.....tomorrow will be a good food day.......it will.....it will....it will.

Yes, tomorrow will be a good day.  Just put this behind you and start over again tomorrow.  Try to remember how bad it feels physically and mentally to have a horrible eating day, and how good it feels to stay on track.  Hang in there and don't let this mess with your head.  Sending big hugs to you.

• Like 2

I'm really happy because I'm pretty sure this will be a good day for me even though I'm alone in the house.  My stomach was hurting earlier and I didn't eat much so now I still have plenty of daily calories left and don't feel that urge to binge.  Workouts have been tough for me because I just had the first carpal tunnel surgery and exercise makes my hand throb and feel super sensitive.  I'm going to try to run tomorrow morning now that it's not bitter cold and see how that goes.  I just have to be careful not to overdo it and get too hungry.  That is currently my biggest challenge. Also, I don't know if I'm eating enough because I feel kind of weak during my workouts but I don't want to eat more just to exercise,kwim?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I'm really happy because I'm pretty sure this will be a good day for me even though I'm alone in the house.  My stomach was hurting earlier and I didn't eat much so now I still have plenty of daily calories left and don't feel that urge to binge.  Workouts have been tough for me because I just had the first carpal tunnel surgery and exercise makes my hand throb and feel super sensitive.  I'm going to try to run tomorrow morning now that it's not bitter cold and see how that goes.  I just have to be careful not to overdo it and get too hungry.  That is currently my biggest challenge. Also, I don't know if I'm eating enough because I feel kind of weak during my workouts but I don't want to eat more just to exercise,kwim?

I actually stopped working out because I felt like I was starving all the time. Not the best reason to stop but it was making feel like a caged animal pacing back and forth in search of prey. I never was able to find the balance. Wishing you better results! I'm sorry about your hand.

• Like 1

Hi all. I've been lurking but haven't joined because I'm not doing anything specific. I have lost 5 pounds since the beginning of the year from switching to water instead of sweet tea (though I do have coffee with sugar in the a.m.) I'm drinking lots of water, lol. And I've started a very gentle exercise program. But I'm not yet ready to count calories or anything -- just trying to make better, *sustainable* choices.

I do have quite a bit to lose. I have gained 80 pounds in the last 15 years, but I'd be thrilled to lose 50. I'm pretty happy with 5 down!

• Like 3

So good to hear from you all! Knowing I had to report in here kept me on track today even though I wanted to indulge in Super Bowl pizza (and still do--but thankfully the only slices left have meat on them!) After my planned snack tonight, I'll be at 1424, which I'm happy with. 

Welcome, @MeaganS! I love Disney World and hope you had a great time!

Hi, @alisoncooks! I hear you on the sustainable choices. I feel like I've gained and lost the same 5 or so pounds fifty times over. I need to get in the mindset of making this a lifestyle change instead of a temporary diet, and try to make changes I can stick with long-term. 

@ondreeuh, you look fab in those dresses!!! I love a good deal. I actually wore a $3 thrift store dress to church today! It was a maxi dress, so hopefully no one noticed my sheer hose, which apparently only old ladies wear (see "legwear for a winter wedding" thread). 😉 

@peacelovehomeschooling, kick today to the curb and forget about it. It doesn't have any power over you. Tomorrow is truly a new day! 

• Like 1

Okay...just checking in to confess that the birthday cake/pizza/super bowl festivities went sideways and I definitely had too much.

Good news is it didn’t take a lot to be “too much” and I just felt yucky all night. Which actually feels good to me. My body just isn’t used to the quantity or the junk anymore. 

So tomorrow it’s back on track. We don’t even have leftovers. We always send our leftover sweets to the neighbors now so at least it is done and won’t call to me late night or tomorrow. 

• Like 3

My average weight this week was 3.3 pounds less than last week. I’m super excited about that!

Spouse and I went to the in-laws for a Super Bowl / Birthday Bash. I was able to make healthy choices and even resisted rice crispy treats and cheesecake. Win!

Trying to figure out how to get more steps/exercise in. I’m off 3 days a week, but the 4 that I work are looonnngggg and sedentary. It’s tough. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I actually stopped working out because I felt like I was starving all the time. Not the best reason to stop but it was making feel like a caged animal pacing back and forth in search of prey. I never was able to find the balance. Wishing you better results! I'm sorry about your hand.

This was me yesterday! I started a workout video and felt weak with an emptiness in my stomach. So I had a snack (half a protein bar and a spoonful of peanut butter) and started the workout over, but had a bigger lunch than I expected. Then I did another workout in the afternoon and the bottomless pit opened up. I kept trying different snacks (and tons of water) to fill up - celery & cucumbers didn't do the trick, so I tried a small package of cookies and that didn't help. Finally after more cookies and some Halloween candy (yes, still have that stored in the garage) the hole closed, but that was not what I had planned. This has happened before - I get a "hunger" that only sugar shuts up. It doesn't feel like any kind of normal craving that I can usually distract myself from - it's more like a primal urge. I am starting to think it is a hormonal thing - maybe leptin, maybe low blood sugar, tied to the workouts and/or sleep & (which could explain the dizziness too). After my sugar binge I had no appetite for dinner, so I guess that kind of worked ... I skipped dinner and started over today with a normal breakfast.

I am taking a "rest day" today from workouts and will try to figure this out. It is not sustainable to work off 300 calories and then eat 600. I'm going to get my 10k steps in with normal walking but skip the cardio. Maybe there's a reason most people alternate cardio & strength training. I might try alternating mild cardio days with yoga days. When I was hanging out in the hospital, I had no problem with hunger & cravings, and I got my 10k mostly through walking (and I lost weight!). So maybe that's what I need to focus on.

• Like 3

Feelings much better today. I’m meal-prepping some filling breakfasts & lunches and thought maybe we could share some of our favorites. 

Breakfast:

1/4 cup Steel cut oats (cooked) (170) + 1 tbsp peanut butter stirred in (95) for 265 total 

1/4 cup Steel cut oats (cooked) (170) + 3 oz banana (75) for 245 total

1 slice toast (50) + 1 egg (72) + Vegemite (8) and 1 Morningstar veggie sausage (70) for 200 total

1 English muffin (130) + 1 egg (72) + 1 Jones Canadian bacon (20) for 222 total

1 Mission carb balance flour tortilla (70) + 2 eggs (144) + salsa (10) for 224 total

1/2 cup Kodiak protein pancake mix (mixed with water) (190) + 1/2 cup blueberries (42) + sugar-free syrup (8) for 240 total

• Like 5

Todag is my first “official” weigh-in day (I put official in quotes because I weigh myself almost every day, but I try to focus on how I’m doing on a weekly basis). I’m down 2.2 lbs for my first week. I actually had a better weigh-in yesterday (Super Bowl Sunday!), but I definitely ate off plan last night and I imagine that I’ve got a bunch of water retention today. 

My goal is to get to the place where I can enjoy a fun party (I honestly don’t go to many) or just a few fun holiday foods, and then immediately get back to healthy eating. What normally happens is that I eat one thing that isn’t good for me, then another and another...next thing I know I’m back to my old, very unhealthy ways. So I allowed myself to eat at the super bowl party last night, but today I am back to healthy eating. I can do this!!!

• Like 7

I am down 4.4 lbs. this week and am so happy about it! I know the first few pounds come off the easiest and a lot of it is water loss--but I'm still celebrating. 🎉

I'm going to up my calorie goal a bit to 1450 this week.

Let's start the week out well! ☀️

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Todag is my first “official” weigh-in day (I put official in quotes because I weigh myself almost every day, but I try to focus on how I’m doing on a weekly basis). I’m down 2.2 lbs for my first week. I actually had a better weigh-in yesterday (Super Bowl Sunday!), but I definitely ate off plan last night and I imagine that I’ve got a bunch of water retention today. 

My goal is to get to the place where I can enjoy a fun party (I honestly don’t go to many) or just a few fun holiday foods, and then immediately get back to healthy eating. What normally happens is that I eat one thing that isn’t good for me, then another and another...next thing I know I’m back to my old, very unhealthy ways. So I allowed myself to eat at the super bowl party last night, but today I am back to healthy eating. I can do this!!!

Super!! Yes, it is a mindset shift when healthy eating becomes the default and junky eating becomes the anomaly. You will get there. And it is wonderful when you realize that things you used to love and look forward to don’t seem appetizing anymore. I feel that way about greasy pizza and it was a shock! 

4 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I am down 4.4 lbs. this week and am so happy about it! I know the first few pounds come off the easiest and a lot of it is water loss--but I'm still celebrating. 🎉

I'm going to up my calorie goal a bit to 1450 this week.

Let's start the week out well! ☀️

Woohoo! What a fantastic start! 1450 calories is a good amount and leaves some room for flexibility. That was my average for a long time. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, ondreeuh said:

Super!! Yes, it is a mindset shift when healthy eating becomes the default and junky eating becomes the anomaly. You will get there. And it is wonderful when you realize that things you used to love and look forward to don’t seem appetizing anymore. I feel that way about greasy pizza and it was a shock! 

Thank you! Any tips on getting there? I have been at this for so long, but I just keep losing and gaining the same 10lbs! I feel so much better when eating healthy, but it is so much work. I want to make it the default, and I believe it is probably a mind over matter thing, but how do I actually get there? (I know you don’t have the answers for me...just putting my thoughts out there)

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 3

Just now, Just Kate said:

Thank you! Any tips on getting there? I have been at this for so long, but I just keep losing and gaining the same 10lbs! I feel so much better when eating healthy, but it is so much work. I want to make it the default, and I believe it is probably a mind over matter thing, but how do I actually get there? (I know you don’t have the answers for me...just thinking though)

Well, for me it comes down to believing that healthy food nourishes my body in a way that I need, and believing that that is more important than the taste of the food. I get used to choosing foods that give me slow carbs, protein, healthy fats, micro-nutrients, etc. and then it feels like a waste of calories to choose something that is too junky. Not that I eschew all junk! But I balance it out both nutritionally and calorie-wise so that it doesn't replace the foods my body needs. I am also not scared of eating artificial sweeteners. I keep the calorie content in mind even if the ingredients are clean. So many "healthy" recipes out on the web are full of honey and nuts - like the time I tried to make homemade "Kind" bars and ended up with nut brittle that was like 300+ calories for a tiny serving. I've seen so many "healthy" oatmeal recipes that are like 600 calories a bowl. Cookie dough hummus that might as well be cookie dough. You get the idea.

I track everything I eat (even if I have to estimate calories) and this helps me make wise choices because I can look up nutrition info before I eat something new. I usually pre-track a day at a time, and I keep a list of go-to meal & snack ideas so I never have to struggle to come up with something. Like I keep Wasa crackers, Laughing Cow cheese wedges, and lunchmeat on hand and those make a perfect meal/snack. I always have veggies (either cut up or ready to cut), instant low-sugar oatmeal, fat-free yogurts, turkey sausage sticks, string cheese, almonds, low-carb tortillas, hummus, Boca burgers, tuna, PB2 .... you get the idea. I have so many foods that I love and are easy to prepare.

I often pack my own lunch & snacks when we do day trips and we very rarely eat out. If we do, I eat light for my other meals. I use a recipe builder to calculate the nutrition for my homemade dinners, and I cook every night unless we are having leftovers. I serve lots of veggies and have learned to like a lot of new ones. I've built up a large database of dinners that fit my calorie budget so it's not a struggle to plan meals anymore. 

There are so many times when I have to ask myself whether I am being too restrictive by turning down a "treat" or if I'm honoring my new palate. Like with the pizza - I will look at the menu online and agonize about whether I actually want the greasy pizza or just think I'm supposed to want it. Turns out I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I turn it down, so that kind of confirms that I didn't really want it after all. And it's weird to look at a menu and see a giant plate of pasta being called a dinner - with no protein source & no veggies! That's not a proper dinner ;). When we eat out, I plan on taking half the dinner home.

I've also learned my weaknesses - baked goods are really hard for me to turn down and stop at one serving. So if I bake something, I freeze most of it. I can't keep homemade chocolate chip cookies in the house. Last time I made them, I balled up the extra dough and froze it. Then last week my husband tried to be sweet and bake some up, and made a million cookies instead of like 8. Bless his heart ...

Hope some of that helped.

• Like 5

@Big Buckin' Longhorn Win! That is impressive weight loss.

@Laura Corin I hope you feel better soon.

@ondreeuh Finding that balance is so bloomin' hard! I hope you are to find the sweet spot soon. That feeling of wanting to eat is so hard to ignore.

@Just Kate You can definitely do this! Congrats on the weight loss and finding the right mindset. Great job!

Today was my first weigh in and I only lost a pound. I have to say I'm pretty bummed about it even though I know realistically some weight loss is better than none. I guess I'm bummed because I really put forth the effort this week, especially eating a bunch of salads I didn't want. Well, here's hoping for a better new week.

• Like 5

@ondreeuh I can tell a huge difference in your new profile pic, go you!

re: exercise- I can't do a bunch of cardio or HIIT stff either- one it is too much stress for my body and 2- I can't stop eating when I do. My exercise is strength training/weight lifting and low level things like walking or easy biking most of the time.

This weekend was at maintenance level, not my aim but could be worse. This last 5 lbs is going to take a lot of determination!

I could share my breakfasts but I think it probably wouldn't be helpful. I do better having a bigger breakfast- like 500-700 calories seems to be just about right. I'm not a late night snacker, I eat the majority of my food by the afternoon BUT I'm up around 4 (and eat breakfast around 8). I go to bed around 8 pm.

Today's breakfast was about 680:  (I'm not claiming this is uber healthy but I primarily aim for whole foods and that's it). I also like steelcut oats (plain) w/ fruit, or some granola w/ fruit. I eat bacon and sausage some days but watch the serving sizes. I eat a lot of eggs, over easy, scrambled, and omlettes w/ veggies. I make the family muffins, biscuits, pancakes etc but generally do not partake because I don't feel good eating that in the am.

2 eggs- 140

2T- PB- 190

hot cocoa- 110

small apple- 80

part of a small potato- 100

oil for cooking homemade hashbrown~ 60

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

Feelings much better today. I’m meal-prepping some filling breakfasts & lunches and thought maybe we could share some of our favorites. 

My breakfasts are very unimaginative.  I work full time outside the home and need to be able to make something quickly.  I usually make breakfast for the week on Sunday: very-veggie frittata with five eggs.  I cut it into five wedges, put it in the fridge and microwave one a day.  At weekends, my favourite is lightly-scrambled eggs with a tomato salad.

I've cut down a bit on exercise for this phase of my diet: I used to exercise for a couple of hours two nights a week (in addition to other exercise on different days) Nordic Walking then fairly strenuous yoga.  I find I don't have the energy for that these days.  Instead I take a moderate walk before yoga, and then push the cardio by Nordic Walking at weekends, when I'm less tired.  Once I reach maintenance, I'll up the food and exercise.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6