Menu

I need new meat meals

Scarlett

Dh took his bonus and bought half a cow.

Two arm roast
 3 chuck roast bone-in
Pikes peak roast 
Rump roast
2-short ribs
Brisket
42 ground beef
4 club steaks
 (2 in ea. package below)
3 Sirloin tip steak
2 Rib Eye
3 Porterhouse
4 Sirloin steak bone in
5 T-Bone steaks
A lot of round steak 

seems like A LOT of steak to me.....so I need to change my mindset and start planning steak dinners I guess.  But mainly I need some recipes for the round steak and club steak.  Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

We get a third of a cow each year (whole cow split 3 ways).  Is club steak the same as cube steak?   If so, I have been using those for country fried steak.   

Round steak...you have a lot?   I have one and I think my mom and sister each have one, so we got like 3 out of a whole cow.   Did your processor cut them into serving sizes or something?   I usually use for Swiss steak.  

My moms recipe

2 to 3 lb round steak cut int serving size pieces

1 can 14oz diced tomatoes

1 can 4oz sliced mushrooms (I use fresh)

1 small onion diced

1 can Campbell’s Beefy Mushroom Soup

put the steak pieces in the crock pot, dump everything else on top   Cook on low for 6 to 8 hrs   

I have also used the arm roast for this recipe   

What is a pikes peak roast?

Ok this sounds hood and EASY. Ty

With round steak and mystery steak from a friend's cow, I made Hungarian Goulash out of it.  The pieces were very tough, so were awful cooked as actual steak.  Of course, 'steak' isn't the type of dish that I excel at; I save actual steak for enjoyment at restaurants.

• 6 onions, sliced finely
  • 2 -3 lbs beef, frozen 
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • ____
  • 1 or 2 cups sour cream
  • 1-½ tsp salt
  • ¼ cup Sweet Hungarian Paprika
  • _____
  • 1 bag wide egg noodles, cooked, drained and buttered

I cook the onions, beef and butter in my crockpot all day - placing the frozen beef on top of the onions.  After it cooks many hours, I take the beef out and shred it, placing it back into the crockpot.  After mixing the sour cream, salt and paprika, I temper it by adding a little of the hot liquid from the beef and mixing.  Then, I add the sour cream mixture to the crockpot with the beef and onions. If I must hold this before service, I turn the heat off or lower it, because the sour cream will separate (the tempering is to prevent this, as well).  Serve on top of the hot buttered noodles.  YUM!

ETA - This would work with all sorts of variations.  For example: follow the first part, adding mushrooms in addition to the onions, and still shredding the meat.  Mix a beef gravy mix with the sour cream (instead of paprika/salt).  Stir that gently with crockpot contents (likely even more juicy d/t mushrooms); allow to thicken.  Serve over the noodles, and you have a stroganoff.  

You could probably also follow the first part and stir in barbecue sauce after shredding the meat.  Serve that on buns.  This may require some reduction of the sauce from the crockpot, by draining and reducing the liquid on the stovetop.   These may not be up your alley if you need strict recipes; I tend to cook on the fly.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

I love marbled chuck roast for a slow cooked stew.

Quarter potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions and any other root vegetable like turnip, rutabaga, etc and brown a little in butter. Then brown chuck roast quickly on all sides (it's not cooked through of course). Combine roast and veggies in a large cast iron  (or whatever heavy pot you have) with some stock and put in oven at F275 for 3-4 hours. Check periodically. It's done when meat falls off bone. 

Season liberally before and throughout roasting process with your fave spices.

• Like 1

I use round steak to make stroganoff. Cut into strips, add 1 can cream mushroom soup, 1 can fench onion soup and 1 cup sour cream. 300 oven for 3 hours. Serve over noodles. Yum!

Most roasts I use Pioneer Woman's pot roast recipe (even if they aren't pot roasts it works).

Steaks are grilled or broiled.

Brisket is delicious but takes a while so plan ahead. Rub with generous amounts celery salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Pour liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce over. Bake 300 for 4 hours. Reserve liquid and mix with Bbq sauce. Slice beef and pour mixture over it and let sit in fridge overnight. Bake uncovered for 30 more minutes at 350.

• Like 1

Round steak is pretty tough so while I don't have specific recipes to offer, I recommend using the round steaks for slow cooked dishes, either in the crock pot for hours on the stove. Things like Swiss steak, goulash, slow cooker beef stew would work. You can use it for shredded beef tacos, enchiladas, or burritos if you season it and put it in the crock pot. Oh, and maybe slow cooked Italian beef - that recipe where you dump a bottle of Greek peppers with their juices in a pot along with the beef and cook it forever. I makes a great main dish sandwich with some provolone cheese on crusty bread. If you have an Instant Pot or any pressure cooker I wouldn't recommend using it for round steak. Although they say a pressure cooker can make tough meat tender, that's not been my experience.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I love marbled chuck roast for a slow cooked stew.

Quarter potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions and any other root vegetable like turnip, rutabaga, etc and brown a little in butter. Then brown chuck roast quickly on all sides (it's not cooked through of course). Combine roast and veggies in a large cast iron  (or whatever heavy pot you have) with some stock and put in oven at F275 for 3-4 hours. Check periodically. It's done when meat falls off bone. 

Season liberally before and throughout roasting process with your fave spices.

This is how I do my roast. I flour mine too.

10 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

It seems like a lot of beef, but actually, it can go pretty fast.  I imagine with Scarlett's growing boys, that won't last nearly as long one might think it would.  I have 3 small kids at home and have to use nearly 2lbs of ground beef just to make tacos lol.  

I put two cans of corn or two cans of black beans in my 2 lbs of hamburger for tacos.  Sometimes we even have leftovers.  Lol

Not that it matters for your question but that doesn't seem like much meat for half a cow to me,  did he buy 1/4?

We love this recipe for the round/cube steak.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/the-mm-sandwich-pw-style/

I tend to run out of hamburger first and so have resorted to pressure cooking some of the roasts and then chopping them up and adding them to shepherd's pie, chili etc.  My kids actually like the chopped roasts better than hamburger in those meals but of course the hamburger is so much quicker.

And we use this method for all our steaks (we don't have a grill) and just adjust the oven time for bone-in steaks.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe-2131274

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Not that it matters for your question but that doesn't seem like much meat for half a cow to me,  did he buy 1/4?

I tend to run out of hamburger first and so have resorted to pressure cooking some of the roasts and then chopping them up and adding them to shepherd's pie, chili etc.  My kids actually like the chopped roasts better than hamburger in those meals but of course the hamburger is so much quicker.

And we use this method for all our steaks (we don't have a grill) and just adjust the oven time for bone-in steaks.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe-2131274

He told me it was 1/4.  But it was something he did without discussing with me.....so who knows. 

Yes, you can cook your meat and chop and sub it anywhere you might use ground beef or chicken.  

Marinating and making fajitas is a good idea.  I made bone broth and french onion soup with my prime rib bone after the holidays.  I also made chili with my last bits of prime rib.  

13 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

He did say it was a small cow.  It was $700...

Here are a couple beef recipes we use. I also make beef stew out of one of the types of steaks we get that we don’t care for grilled.

https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/carne-asada-bowls

https://www.thewickednoodle.com/chuck-roast/

With the unfamiliar cuts we get from the butcher, I’ll google, “recipes for xyz cut beef”. Sometimes the names at the grocery store are a little different than the butcher names. 

18 hours ago, Scarlett said:

He told me it was 1/4.  But it was something he did without discussing with me.....so who knows. 

13 hours ago, Scarlett said:

He did say it was a small cow.  It was $700...

He bought it without even telling you? Yikes. What if you didn’t want all that beef? That was a LOT of meat to buy without talking to you about it first!

• Like 4

I just made one of my dh's favorites-- Round steak roll ups.  I wish a cow had more round steaks! lol

Round Steak Roll Ups

2 1/2- 3 lbs round steak

6 slices bacon, each cut in half

2 dill pickles, each cut in 6 wedges

2 tbsp lard or bacon drippings

1/4 c flour mixed with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper

Cut 12 into 12 uniform pieces.  Pound with a mallet or edge of a saucer to flatten each thoroughly.  On each piece place 1/2 slice of bacon and a pickle wedge.  Roll up and fasten each with a toothpick or two.  Dredge each roll up in the flour mix and brown in hot fat on all sides.  Place in casserole.  Combine 1/2 c water, 1/4 c catsup and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and pour over meat.  Bake at 350* 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.  Serves 6.

Pepper Steak

1 1/2 lbs round steak, cut in thin strips

1 tbsp paprika

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2 tbsp butter

1 c green onions with tops, sliced

2 green peppers, sliced

2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped

1 c beef broth

1/4 c water

2 tbsp cornstarch

2 tbsp soy sauce

3 c hot cooked rice

Sprinkle steak with paprika while preparing other ingredients.  Cook steak and garlic in butter until meat is browned.  Add onions and green peppers; continue cooking until vegetables are wilted. Add tomatoes and beef broth; cover and simmer about 15 minutes.  Blend water with cornstarch and soy sauce.  Stir into steak and cook until thickened.  Serve over rice.

And you can always slice steaks up to top salads or make stir fries.  

Edited by Tina
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2019 at 1:11 AM, Catwoman said:

He bought it without even telling you? Yikes. What if you didn’t want all that beef? That was a LOT of meat to buy without talking to you about it first!

I thought it was very thoughtful and generous to spend his bonus to buy beef for us.  He knows it is one thing we absolutely will use.

• Like 1

I usually use thinly cut beef in asian style stir fry. Or larger cubes for stew dishes - I primarily make Indian food, so nihari, haleem, shami kabab are my go-tos for non-ground beef. Food fusion (youtube) has good recipes, just use a little bit less chili powder/cayenne powder if you don't like a lot of spice.

31 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

I usually use thinly cut beef in asian style stir fry. Or larger cubes for stew dishes - I primarily make Indian food, so nihari, haleem, shami kabab are my go-tos for non-ground beef. Food fusion (youtube) has good recipes, just use a little bit less chili powder/cayenne powder if you don't like a lot of spice.

I love Indian food. Can I just google those dishes you think?

Honestly, my favorite way to cook round steak is in a “pan gravy,” as my mom used to call it. Put a little oil in your big skillet, season your round steak a bit on both sides (I use salt, pepper, garlic powder), throw in the pan and brown on both sides. The bottom of the pan should have some dark goop, and you want that! Add water and scrape all your goop off (liquid should be kinda dark), turn the heat down to let it simmer on medium or medium-low. If the liquid cooks out you can let the goodies in the bottom darken a bit then just add more. Once it’s set on a low simmer, throw in an entire onion (sliced into half or quarter moons), and just let simmer til the meat is tender (with our good beef, that usually doesn’t take more than an hour).

When I’m not eating Whole 30, I’d serve with rice and a veggie or two. While I’m eating Whole 30, I’d make appropriate sides (maybe mashed cauliflower, and roasted green beans, or something along those lines).

A favorite here.

**ETA - when you put the onion in, you can also cut the sides off a bellpepper and throw in the big pieces to simmer along with it. I put big pieces so I can remove them because I can’t stand cooked bellpepper. 

Edited by StaceyinLA

Also, google Whole 30 Thai Basil beef. I think it’s The Defined Dish’s recipe. OMG - I made it two weeks ago, and have made it two more times since. It’s absolutely delicious - probably one of the best, most flavorful things I’ve ever cooked. It’s going on my two-week menu plan.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1