Menu

What are you getting your parents for Christmas??

My parents are always the very hardest people to buy for. They aren't really hard to please, but they just don't need/want anything. And if they do, they just go buy it themselves. I cannot figure out what to get for them. I usually give them a nice framed photo of the girls, but we just did that in the summer. So what are you getting your parents this year?

My parents are always the very hardest people to buy for. They aren't really hard to please, but they just don't need/want anything. And if they do, they just go buy it themselves. I cannot figure out what to get for them. I usually give them a nice framed photo of the girls, but we just did that in the summer. So what are you getting your parents this year?

Pictures of the family and/or gift certificate to a restaurant. They have everything already. I think when I'm a grandparent that is what I'll want, too.

My dad & mom are getting their traditional White House Ornament. Dad is getting a tin of Girl Scouts mixed nuts, Mom is getting a tin of boyscout popcorn. I'm making mom & dad's favorite cookies (since I know mom won't be baking them this year), and probably a book for my dad, and something crafty for my mom.

DH dad & mom are getting the nuts, popcorn, ornament, and a magic bullet.

We get a year-subscription to The Week for my Dh's mom and dad. They love it and it is a gift that keeps on giving. For my dad and stepmother...still deciding, last year it was a framed antique print. For my mom and stepfather, I purchased an item of clothing for my mom and a gift card to my stepfather's favorite bookstore. Divorce makes the holidays quite expensive! :glare:

I decided to give all of the adults/ couples in our family calendars with personalized dates (everyone's birthdays, anniversaries, etc) and some nature photos I've taken through the year.

I also saw a great idea for a personalized photo gift, and I am putting my own twist on it (if it works, I'll just try the original form I saw). I saw a photo frame in a local shop with our town's name spelled out in letters photographed from signs around town. One letter per frame. I am going to spell out our parent's last names in a frame by having the kids use their bodies to spell out each letter of the name and framing each letter. (I hope that makes some kind of sense.) If I can't get the pics of the kids to come out, I'll just wander around town taking pics of letters and frame those instead.

We also give family pictures, so we'll probably do that as well.

This is the "year of the photo" for us. :D

A photo book from one of the online services with the best of the year's pictures. They really don't need more knick knacks around the house and these are personalized and perfect for showing off to everyone. In the past we have also given a digital picture frame and a mug ds created at a pottery painting place.

My in-laws: a photo book of our time together this summer (they live 1100 miles away).

They are divorced. This was the first time my fil had met my 4 youngest children (alcoholism, abuse, etc.) . . . . .look at my siggie line, you'll see how significant it was. It was a great, great visit. We toured the sites where my fil lived when he first came to America, where he lived when dh was a baby. I made a photo book for him of the visit. It was good for me, too!

My parents? no idea. My dad always buys what he wants. My mom is just - well - I never know what to do.

Well, for my dad I'm getting a rubber duck that says Hawaii on it and an Elvis pez dispensor! :-) Both are inside family jokes, so they are not really anything that he probably wants. But, he is the KING of buying everything he wants and not waiting for Christmas!! So, I have to find clever ways of finding things to wrap for him. I also get him a gift card to his favorite coffee stand as a stocking stuffer. I usually get my parents a picture of the kids. The kids usually make them something. My mom is easier to buy for and she likes William Sonoma type stuff.

I got my mom a pair of sterling silver earrings. She likes jewelry, and I haven't bought her any for awhile.

For dh's mom...I bought a cross stitch pattern, but I haven't been able to do it until I get my glasses. (It's been a long time since I cross stitched, and apparently they made everything a lot smaller!:glare:) So now I doubt I can finish it for Christmas; it'll be for Mother's Day now. She loves classical music, so CDs are always a good choice. She also likes to read; maybe a book bungee and gift card for a bookstore?

Wendi

I used to do handmade gifts every year, but after a snide comment by mil I don't do that anymore. We get pictures taken at Wal-Mart for like $4.99, and that covers everyone in both families. I by $1 frames and that's what they get. The only people I add something to is for people who get wallet sizes or are young...my sil and bil will get a gift card along with their wallet picture, and dh's uncle will get a tool along with his wallet photo. All sets of parents and grandparents get photos, ranging in size from 8x10 to 5x7, or in the case of my grandparents, 4x6, since they have too many grandchildren to display large photos.

I would do this even if I had already done pictures in the summer. It's a cheap and thoughtful gift.

For people who have everything, I like to give something consumable, such as movie tickets or restaurant gift certificates, tickets to the symphony, etc.

But for our parents this year, we got mil some nice jewelry--she loves it anytime, even though she has a ton of it. My mom wanted the Bliss product Thinny Thin Chin http://www.isabellacatalog.com/prod.cfm/pgc/21300/sbc/21302/inv/11453(:)) because it really tightens up the neck and chin area. I will probably also get her this face soap http://www.isabellacatalog.com/prod.cfm/pgc/21300/sbc/21302/inv/11453, because it is AMAZING!

But last year, we got the parents the DVD series Planet Earth http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-Complete-David-Attenborough/dp/B000MR9D5E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227152700&sr=8-1(we got one, too). And it has been so enjoyable for us and for my parents--it's truly breathtaking. (Be sure and get the one narrated by David Attenborough.)

Ha! We bought Wii games for my parents- bowling for mom and fishing for dad. ;) They'll have a hoot playing. We also got them some accessories for the Wii Fit they purchased for themselves earlier in the year. It's funny to think of my parents sitting there and playing video games, but they do.:)

I haven't figured out what we're buying dh's parents yet. They're the harder ones to shop for.

Well- my inlaws got the "main" part of their present today:

My hubby and son arrived on their door step this morning.

My in laws had no idea they were getting a visit.

I received a teary wake up "thank you" call this morning.

We havent seen them for nearly 2 years ( as we live in 2 different countries...)

Priceless.

( the other part of their presents are traditional Arabic outfits, and some beautiful Moroccan lanterns)

Hubby posted off all the gifts this year from within Oz ( cheaper than posting from here- if you dont include tickets to get to Oz 1st....LOL)

My mum will be getting a fabulous hand-beaded throw rug we bought in India ( aqua, turquoise, purples and blues- and very, very sparkly), and a voucher from her local framing store to have it mounted and framed.

My Dad and his partner, have received some hard back "coffee table" books from here.

My mom loves cryptograms, and bookstores are hardly selling them anymore! So I'm going to go through all my books and find funny passages, and then go to the Discovery Channel website where they have a cryptogram generator. I'm going to try and print out several hundred, because she goes through them pretty quickly.

Also, I have just discovered the Librivox website, and I'd like to see if I can copy some audiobooks to CD for her. She doesn't do Internet, and there will be days this winter where she can't go to the library.

Dad- Photo we took of redwoods in California. New book about John Muir.

Mom- I'm thinking of having C5 draw a picture and make an iron on transfer with it and make her a tote bag. She likes things that she can take to church and show off "look what my darling grandson made me" :). I'll get her something else too but not sure what yet.

We also do a photo calendar every year for them and my FIl using Snapfish. It's very easy and relatively inexpensive when you are ordering multiple calendars. I like that Snapfish lets you put photos on days inside the month (so on my Mom's birthday I put a picture of her, etc) in addition to the main photo for the month.

My parents, and my hubby's dad, are deceased. My hubby has 3 sisters and the four of them all pitched in and bought his mom a computer -- yes, time for her to jump into the digital age! :lol:

We bought the monitor, one sister bought the computer, another sister bought a laser printer, and another sister bought a computer table / desk.

She's 75 and we wanted her to be able to use the computer at her home vs having to drive to the library to access the internet.

They have 3 different remotes and it's really a pain. I'm going to give his mom some more scrapbook pages for her 8x8 album of my kids. I'm also working on a "goodie" basket for his dad - specialty foods. He'll like that kind of thing.

DH is an only child and his parents always buy us and the kids WAY too much stuff, so we spend more on them than my family.

I'm not sure about my dad and stepmom. There's a lot of us and nobody has the money to buy for everyone. We usually draw names. A goodie basket for my dad and something pretty for my stepmom, I guess.

This is the first year we've done the fall product sale, and everyone's getting nuts!

Also, Mom is getting a little handmade pin of an Irish Dancer who will be dressed in our school's outfit (fundraiser for our dance school, and Mom loves wearing pins).

And we (kids and I) are making a flannel bathrobe for Dad in Purdue-print flannel, purchased at half-price from Hancock's.

So the grandparents (both sets) are going to get a set of stamps with the kids' picture on it.

Dad's getting a cotteon sweater (we live near the LLBean outlet)

Mom's getting a laptop lap pad (she just recently got a laptop, so accessories)

MIL's getting a photo book with pics of the kids including their recent visit.

FIL's getting baked goods. (he loves any kind of cookies, including my cranberry biscotti!)

They are all getting a 2009 calendar from kodakgallery.com with pics of the kids through this past year.

That's it....

Good luck! It's never easy for me buying for that generation. Not sure why, but it's not....

:-) Stacey in MA

My sister and I always split the cost of a photo book of the years family photos for our parents.

I am also giving them a book I made with Blurb. I turned 5 years of blog posts into a book and dedicated it to them and had it printed up. I can't wait to give it to her.

I am knitting Dad a hat too.

I'm trying to do a lot of homemade stuff this year, so both sets of parents are getting homemade soap (thanks to my wonderful soapmaking coach, Amy in Orlando!), sourdough English muffins, and homemade cherry jam. I might get a giftcard for dh's parents because they are impossible to buy for. Not sure what else to get my parents yet.

Ria

Guest Virginia Dawn
My mom loves cryptograms, and bookstores are hardly selling them anymore! So I'm going to go through all my books and find funny passages, and then go to the Discovery Channel website where they have a cryptogram generator. I'm going to try and print out several hundred, because she goes through them pretty quickly.

I love this idea. I'm going to steal it for my dad.:D

We're getting a goat and 2 chickens through World Vision to go to a family in need with the money we would have tried to spend on my parents and brother and sister. They'll get a card saying so. :)

I'm just SO sick of *stuff* and trying to get something for people who have everything they need and don't really spend any time thinking about me, my children or how they can see us all year long. lol

My Mom is German, and I fix her a large basket of foods and other things imported from Germany. Actually, I use a large gift bag now so she can re-use it or toss it.

She doesn't want anything that will add to the clutter in her house -- she has to be able to use it up. This year, I can't afford to buy her any clutter, but I'd get her gift cards to iTunes, Amazon, and to stores and restaurants she patronizes, if I could.

Before she got too old to want to go, I bought tickets to the symphony and the theater for her. I gave her a bird bath one year, which she loves.

Edited by RoughCollie

I decided to give all of the adults/ couples in our family calendars with personalized dates (everyone's birthdays, anniversaries, etc) and some nature photos I've taken through the year.

I also saw a great idea for a personalized photo gift, and I am putting my own twist on it (if it works, I'll just try the original form I saw). I saw a photo frame in a local shop with our town's name spelled out in letters photographed from signs around town. One letter per frame. I am going to spell out our parent's last names in a frame by having the kids use their bodies to spell out each letter of the name and framing each letter. (I hope that makes some kind of sense.) If I can't get the pics of the kids to come out, I'll just wander around town taking pics of letters and frame those instead.

We also give family pictures, so we'll probably do that as well.

This is the "year of the photo" for us. :D

I am really interested in the gift you are doing for your parents. I would love to have my girls pose as letters for my parents last name. But it is 7 letters long, and I cannot figure out how to get it framed right. It could get expensive very quickly to buy 7 really nice frames. What kind of frames are you planning on using?

Thanks!

My parents rarely ate out when we were younger. There are nine of us kids. I send my mom (my dad has gone home to be with the Lord) a restaurant gift card, usually Sizzler or Red Lobster.

My In-Laws live half way across the country and so I send them gift tins. My FIL loves mixed nuts and my MIL loves cashews, roasted and unsalted.

Claire in NM