Menu

Favorite, not-too-complicated Christmas dessert?

Just Kate

My church Bible study group is having a last minute potluck on Sunday. I offered to bring a dessert. Any suggestions? I will be making a few different Christmas cookies for my family (Reese cup cookies, cranberry white chocolate cookies, and Oreo balls), but I’d rather not take cookies to this gathering. I’d love some type of dessert that isn’t too difficult. Can the Hive help??

6 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Striped delight aka melt in your mouth dessert. Shortbread crust with nuts. Cream cheese/sugar/whipped cream layer Then a chocolate pudding layer and more whipped cream.  So so so good and easy 

We call that slush cake...

I've heard so many names for it. But my guess is that it is slush cake here because it is snow country and after a while the chocolate later bleeds into the cheesecake later and gets that odd color...like dirty snow/slush.

Chocolate Eclair Dessert

graham crackers, 2 or 3 boxes of vanilla pudding, 3 cups of milk, cool whip, container of chocolate icing

Line cake pan with graham crackers, pour half of the pudding/cool whip mix, line graham crackers, rest of pudding mix, another layer of graham crackers, microwave icing 40 seconds, dump on top of crackers and smooth.  Should be made the day before so the graham crackers get soft

Better than S*x Cake

Mix 1 cup flour, 1 stick butter, 1 cup chopped walnuts, spread in 9x13 pan, bake at 350 20 minutes 

Mix 1 cream cheese brick, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 small tub of cool whip, spread on crust layer

Mix 2 chocolate pudding boxes and 1 vanilla pudding box with 3 cups milk, spread on layer above

Spread cool whip on top

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, school17777 said:

Chocolate Eclair Dessert

graham crackers, 2 or 3 boxes of vanilla pudding, 3 cups of milk, cool whip, container of chocolate icing

Line cake pan with graham crackers, pour half of the pudding/cool whip mix, line graham crackers, rest of pudding mix, another layer of graham crackers, microwave icing 40 seconds, dump on top of crackers and smooth.  Should be made the day before so the graham crackers get soft

My family loves this.  I make it with chocolate pudding, though.  You can use chocolate graham crackers, too (but I can't find them here).  

• Like 1

Apple stuff.

Take several baking apples - we mostly use granny smiths, but you can use anything that will hold up well to cooking and not turn into mush. (We like granny smiths, is all!) Core them and cut them into slices in the usual way. Meanwhile, melt some butter in big skillet or pot on the stove. Toss the apple slices into the pot as you cut them, they don't need to all go in at once. Add brown sugar (we use a combination of turbinado and muscado because that's how we roll, but regular brown sugar from the store will do nicely) and some cinnamon in as well. I like to add a pinch of salt. I always add a pinch of salt to anything sweet. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they've all turned nice and soft and brown all over, like apple pie filling, which is basically what you just made. Serve warm over vanilla ice cream. You will have sauce left over once you've eaten all the apple slices. You can just eat this with a spoon, which is what I do, but if you want something a little nicer you can brush it over phyllo dough, roll the dough up, and bake a few minutes until nice and crispy. You don't need to have any apple stuff left to stuff the phyllo with, you can do this with just the buttery liquid.

Edited by Tanaqui

1 minute ago, ScoutTN said:

Maybe not fancy enough, but our family go-to is ice cream with homemade chocolate sauce.

Our favorites are peppermint or coffee ice cream and the Pioneer Woman's fudge sauce recipe.

If more substance is needed, add brownies.

If less substance is needed, add whipped cream.

LOL

• Like 1

Caramel Brownies. I've never ever ever brought any back home. Make your favorite boxed brownies, drizzle (ok more like splotch cause it's thick) with about 1/2- 3/4 cup of caramel apple dip. Bake as usual.  If you are feeling fancy you can sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Super easy and I always have the ingredients on hand for a last minute dessert.  And I can't tell you how many people have asked for the recipe.

8 hours ago, unsinkable said:

We call that slush cake...

I've heard so many names for it. But my guess is that it is slush cake here because it is snow country and after a while the chocolate later bleeds into the cheesecake later and gets that odd color...like dirty snow/slush.

I make it in a pie shell and call it French Silk Pie. It is a family favorite that I only make at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Similar to what other people are saying, but angel food cake. Either the cake and then have whipped cream and strawberries/other fruit available to top it, or put layers of whipped cream and torn angel food cake in a pan, last layer on top is whipped cream, then layer of fruit on the top. You can even add fruit layers in the middle if you are ritzy 🙂 

• Like 1