Menu

Being done breastfeeding

mommyoffive

I got my period consistently for the first time in 9 years. Such a bummer.

I also have more weight that won't fade. I don't know if that's just having 4 kids back to back, no longer breastfeeding, or whatever.

I'm sure there's a lot that CAN happen... remember how much hormones can affect everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Was there anything that happened to you after you got done breastfeeding? 

This is the first time in the last 13.5 years I haven't been pg, breastfeeding, or pg and breastfeeding.  Just wondering if there are any physical changes that happen. 

I got so very sick, even though my nurser was 3 and it wasn't an abrupt weaning.

We had a family tragedy around the same time and it was one of the worst times of my life.

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Shellydon said:

I gained 20 lbs in 6 weeks. 8 years later, I still haven't lost it.  I was pregnant and/or nursing for 8 years.  Weaning without being pregnant caused my weight to shoot up and I've never been able to lose it. 

Oh, crap. As someone who is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, this is not something that I need. I've put 10lbs on, per kid, over the last 9 years. I'm already struggling - 20lbs more would not be good.

I had what was sort of like PMS or post partum depression a few weeks after weaning my oldest. The others I've had another baby by then, so no physical or emotional changes...just one less kid nursing at a time. But that hormone smack down after going from 1 nursling to 0 was harsh. It didn't last long though. 

11 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I had what was sort of like PMS or post partum depression a few weeks after weaning my oldest. The others I've had another baby by then, so no physical or emotional changes...just one less kid nursing at a time. But that hormone smack down after going from 1 nursling to 0 was harsh. It didn't last long though. 

This makes sense because breastfeeding releases oxytocin, which makes you feel happy and relaxed.

I was pregnant and/or nursing for about six years in a row. My youngest had to get weaned right around her second birthday because I needed surgery to remove a lump (which turned out to be benign, thankfully). I don't remember any big physical or emotional changes.

For me, no. But I was also going through the usual postpartum stuff, so I may not have noticed much of anything. I did get my cycle back very soon afterward, though. (I was nursing continually from the time my oldest was born until after we lost Nate, so that’s almost 15 years and through five pregnancies.  Nursing usually means I didn’t get my period back until a year postpartum, but I got it less than a couple of months after I stopped pumping for Nate.). Even aside from losing the baby, it was very strange not to be a nursing mom any longer — hugs. 

My weight went up temporarily. I had to get used to a new normal for eating and exercise. 

Now that I'm losing baby weight (it's not easy, but it's happening), it's mostly coming from the ladies. That's fine because there's plenty to spare, but others who lose in a similar pattern may be disconcerted. 

I didn't have emotional changes. I think it was around Christmas and we got busy and both forgot about it. Very easy.

• Like 1

My breastfeeding experience was much shorter than most of the posters here, but I weaned very, very slowly with my second. With my first kiddo, breastfeeding didn't go well, and at two weeks, I quit overnight and was miserable--aches, chills, sweats, pain. Anyway, with number two, I weaned over a couple of months because I didn't want complications. I started with the feeding I figured would be the hardest to give up (bedtime for us). I didn't have any significant issues, and it was very anticlimactic, honestly. I might also have had fewer hitches because my son ate a trickle at a time spread out over hours per day (I nursed approximately 42 hours per week!) due to issues with jaw stability, so I think I never had any feedings where I was really full of milk at any given time. 

Good luck!

I nursed almost twelve years and stopped this summer.  I lost a bit of weight and my appetite went down a lot.  Aside from the cup changes I expected, I also lost weight in my upper arms and around my shoulders.  My body now looks sharper.  Congratulations on your run and I hope the transition is easy for you both.