Menu

Period Underwear

mommyoffive

We bought some off Amazon, from China, I think, for my teen after I read about them here.  Teen uses as backup in case of leaking--still use pad/tampon.  It doesn't seem like it is absorbent, more like just waterproof, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

DD17 uses the thinx and says they work for her as expected.  She can wear them in place of a pad or a tampon with no leakage and not feeling damp.  Hers have been washed many times and still work just fine.

She does wish she had a pair in a boy-short style as she isn’t fond of briefs.

LOVE! Mine are not sexy.

I use them with a cup or pad depending on the need at the time.

I love them for before my period starts and after it ends because I don't wear anything else and I don't waste pads just in case.

This is a little TMI. I bleed everywhere. I ruin the sheets, I ruin the car, I ruin chair at work, I ruin the couch. I have a gift. Period panties have fixed that gift. My gift is gone. It's wonderful! When I wake up in the morning the sheets are clean and I am... not. So I shower. End of story. I cannot tell you how much this has simplified my life.

Not to mention the money saved. I had a very difficult time forking out $25 for what I considered a luxury item but having them as backup for a pad means I'm not changing my pad all the time. Also, like I said I wear them before it starts and after it ends by themselves. Total money saver.

Every woman should have them.

• Like 8

My daughter has used them for a couple of years now, and she still really likes them. She washes them on cold in the washing machine and hangs them to dry. She thinks they work very well, though she also sometimes uses a tampon on her heaviest days. I wish I had had them back when I needed them.

• Like 1

Is anyone using these with a young teen? I'm trying to decide if we could work out a system for washing them. She isn't the more neat or responsible kid. Actually totally NOT. She shares a room with two younger sisters and a bathroom with 4 brothers. She let's her laundry pile up ridiculously. I would like to get these for her for back up/ leak prevention. I would probably have her use other protection still.  But ifshe opted not to I assume they have to washed pretty much immediately so we would need a good system for where to put them. She can't just throw them in her hamper. That would stink like crazy right?   I really want to try them but this detail is stopping me.  

• Like 1

You're supposed to rinse them out, but I have to admit that I haven't. I mean, laundry doesn't sit for more than a week here. They just go in the wash and get pulled out as delicates so they don't go through the dryer.

I have Thinx. I'm with others... they work as advertised. They're not for a super heavy flow, but they're great for light days or if your cycle is unpredictable and you "might" bleed that day or not or for backups if you tend to overflow. They're comfortable and well made.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Slache said:

LOVE! Mine are not sexy.

I use them with a cup or pad depending on the need at the time.

I love them for before my period starts and after it ends because I don't wear anything else and I don't waste pads just in case.

This is a little TMI. I bleed everywhere. I ruin the sheets, I ruin the car, I ruin chair at work, I ruin the couch. I have a gift. Period panties have fixed that gift. My gift is gone. It's wonderful! When I wake up in the morning the sheets are clean and I am... not. So I shower. End of story. I cannot tell you how much this has simplified my life.

Not to mention the money saved. I had a very difficult time forking out $25 for what I considered a luxury item but having them as backup for a pad means I'm not changing my pad all the time. Also, like I said I wear them before it starts and after it ends by themselves. Total money saver.

Every woman should have them.

Yep this is me too.  I am going to get some.  And yes I think you end up saving money when you are not using the pads just incase.  

I will get them for my girls too when the time comes.  Man if only these would have been invented when I was in high school and college.  It would have saved me from a lot of nightmares. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Are some brands just leakproof and others absorbant?  I see wildly different prices.   Thinking of these for my girls that get surprised as their cycles are very light but not super regular.

Good question. 

https://www.allure.com/gallery/best-period-panties

https://www.shethinx.com/collections/btwn-teen-period-panties/products/btwn-shorty?variant=12597465120840

https://www.shethinx.com/

For teens

I heard good things about this one

https://ilovegenerationme.com/eco-friendly-family-products/evawear-period-panty

Edited by mommyoffive

I bought youngest dd one of the period swimsuits so she could still swim all summer. She's not ready to try tampons or cups or anything but pads.  

She leaks EVERYWHERE when she gets her period.  Sounds like you Slache!  So I've been thinking about getting her a pair of the panties.  But, how does it work wearing a pad?   Does the adhesive on pads damage the material?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I bought youngest dd one of the period swimsuits so she could still swim all summer. She's not ready to try tampons or cups or anything but pads.  

She leaks EVERYWHERE when she gets her period.  Sounds like you Slache!  So I've been thinking about getting her a pair of the panties.  But, how does it work wearing a pad?   Does the adhesive on pads damage the material?

There are period swimsuits?  What?  Never heard of that.  What a great idea though. 

Any period leotards?  

49 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Someone post a link, please!!!

I ordered from here because they have teen sizes and I heard the fit smaller girls better.  Dd just turned 11 so adult sizes wouldn't work.

https://www.pantyprop.com/product-page/swimwear-black-classic?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxbzdBRCoARIsACzIK2lyjzr6JCEZQh8N1yu6hYG2GHIgoCup8ozDELRO5EuCKzzp75ixaZ4aAu-lEALw_wcB

• Like 2

On 9/29/2018 at 4:05 PM, Where's Toto? said:

I always wear mine with a pad when I'm actually on my period. The problem is that my period is like an acrobat and prefers to slip past the pad all the way to the back or front. This way I'm covered. I've had mine for about 6 months, worn pads every month and never had a problem.

• Like 2

I use Thinx, and they get me through my entire period. I just change them when they feel damp. I wash and dry them, and they are still perfect. I love them! I will use a tampon with them if I'm going out for awhile and can't change my undies while I am out. Easy peasy. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the leakproof ones from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCTN712/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?th=1&psc=1  I wear them as a back up for tampons on heavy days and alone if I think I might be starting that day.  They generally go into the laundry that gets washed once a week with no problem.  Wash on cold & hang to dry as the heat of the dryer can damage the leak proof layer.

This might be TMI, but there is a container that sits in my shower to catch warm-up water and if something really messy happens to the period panties that I don't want to put in the hamper, I put a little cold water in the container, and toss the undies in to soak.  The next time I am in the bathroom I wring them out and toss them in the hamper.  This has helped even the light colored ones remain stain free.

They do come in beige (nude) for wearing under white items, or in pale pink.  They all do have that light gray jersey lining.

I also have the absorbent ones from Modibodi.  These come in light, medium & heavy absorbency.  I have worn these by themselves on regular days, but I am not quite brave enough for my heaviest days.  They are comfortable and easy to wear but the extra layers in the crotch take forever to dry on the line.

For what it's worth period underwear has kept my bed sheets from looking like the flag of Japan every month and for that I think they are totally worth the cost.

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:58 PM, Slache said:

...This is a little TMI. I bleed everywhere. I ruin the sheets, I ruin the car, I ruin chair at work, I ruin the couch. I have a gift. Period panties have fixed that gift. My gift is gone. It's wonderful! When I wake up in the morning the sheets are clean and I am... not. So I shower. End of story. I cannot tell you how much this has simplified my life....

My soul sister!    It is true.   For example, at work I have a seat cushion with a curved top to match butt cheeks.  I have to use it upside down because there is a stain in the middle.  
When it comes to bleeding on stuff, I figure backups on your backup is a good thing.   
I love that I can wear these when I expect my period is about ready to start.  Between a cup and this, I can forget for hours at a time that I am having my period.   Totally revolutionary.   

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Danae said:

Bumping this thread with a question . . . 

I love the idea of not having to wear a pantiliner as back-up or on spotting days, but does that mean you change your undearwear multiple times a day? And how does that work when you're away from home?

They're pretty absorbent and keep you relatively dry. About as dry feeling as a pad/liner, at least in my experience. So not perfect, but not bad. The idea is that you don't need to change it because it's absorbent enough to hold you for all day. I'm sure YMMV depending on your flow, consistency, etc. etc.

15 hours ago, Danae said:

Bumping this thread with a question . . . 

I love the idea of not having to wear a pantiliner as back-up or on spotting days, but does that mean you change your undearwear multiple times a day? And how does that work when you're away from home?

If I happen to be home, I'd take off the dirty.  But, once I KNOW I'm bleeding I'll add a momma pad.  

12 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

I’m beginning to think period underwear have magical powers. Two cycles now and period has been unusually well behaved. It must be intimidated by the fancy underpants I bought on Slache’s link and decided to mind its manners for the first time in years. I haven’t gotten to put them to the test yet! But I’ll take it! 

Someone here mentioned awhile back on a similar thread the theory that the tampons (and maybe pads too) have something in them that our bodies react negatively to.  Each of these things seems to have tamed my periods by a notch.

• Using mamma pads, period underwear and Diva cups instead of tampons and maxi-pads.
  • Progesterone Cream
  • Aleve instead of Motrin

Now my periods are tamer than they have ever been.  Ever.   I remember once as a teen actually praying to die I was in so much pain.  Before those things I'd take about 40 Motrin every period and it would last 8-10 days.   I'd bleed myself anemic.  Now, they last 3 days and I take one to two Aleve every period.  Rarely do I need two Aleve.  
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...