Menu

What kind of workshops would you like to see at a convention?

Ellie

I asked this several years ago but apparently I didn't keep the document I compiled with your answers, so I'm asking again. :-)

What workshops would you want to see at a homeschool convention? Not which speakers you'd like to hear, but which workshops? What topics would be most helpful to you?

I would want any of these:
-the science of reading and specific techniques/how to identify reading problems
-teaching using primary sources and/or local history
-creating a rhythm rather than a schedule
-how to plan objectives and tweak to fit the child
-throwing marshmallows: how to share your enthusiasm of a subject so the child catches it, too.
-easy methods to use when keeping records
-creating transcripts and college prep
-how to teach writing

Yeah, any of that.  They can take the place of the happy homemaking workshops that have taken over.

• Like 8

Something very solid about developmental milestones*.

My son is 16 and I’m just now getting him tested for some accommodations because I thought his slowness was normal.  It wasn’t until he took online classes last year and took hours and hours for things the teachers thought should be done in 30 minutes, that I realized his slowness wasn’t normal.  And yes, I asked here about it a couple of years ago and people assured me that I was expecting him to be too fast, but that wasn’t necessarily true.  I was expecting him to be faster than what was normal AND he’s slower than normal. 

So, I would have loved a workshop that would explain developmental milestones for education.  

When should we really worry when someone can’t read?  When should a child be able to write legibly?  How legibly?  How long should it take a high schooler to solve the sort of problem like “Two cars are driving away from the same town.  One is going x mph and the other is going y mph...etc.”.  

There was a thread a long time ago where someone asked teachers (or former teachers) what knowledge/techniques/training they brought home from the classroom to use in their homeschool.  Almost all of them said, “Virtually nothing...except that it was very, very useful to understand developmental milestones, so I knew if my kids were ahead/on track/behind.”  

As a homeschooler, I am constantly struggling between knowing if I’m dumbing down the work for my kids, or if I’m expecting too much. I suspect that I do both all the time.  Neither serves my students well.

There will always be outliers and caveats, but I’d love to have some sort of chart/book to look at to know if my expectations for the kids are appropriate or not.

*Note:  I’m not sure the term “developmental milestones” is the proper term.  I just mean understanding when a kid is on track academically, falling terribly behind what most kids can do, or is flying ahead of where most kids are at a certain age/grade.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 13

I have never actually made it to a convention because things always seem to get overbooked when it is going on, but things I think would have been helpful for me if I could have gone:

- Navigating high school, specifically for making transcripts for college, grading research papers, what prep is good to have to transition to a formal classroom after they graduate if any, etc.

- Children with special needs, especially a breakdown of how to get testing and/or services, and in my case how to teach children with dyslexia

- When my kids were younger and we were just starting out, what are the different styles of homeschooling and how to determine which may work best for you and your children, and that is is okay to be eclectic

- Maybe one on the ins and outs of your area, what are fun opportunities for homeschool families both as group events for homeschooler (Zoo days, Science center days) but also fun and educational things that may not be known to everyone (fun day trips sort of thing).

• Like 1

Friend finding how to...I constantly marvel at how new homeschooling parents are very surprised at the fact that it takes work and effort and planning to find friends for their kids. Some kids don’t care about friends and for others it’s really important. IF you have a kid for whom it is important, you have to be willing to help them with the leg work.

So throwing out ideas for where to find friends and how to nurture those relationships would be helpful.

eta: typically there are 2 extremes of people. One group who feels that their kids need daily friend time and can’t quite get it that yes it’s ok to set some limits and your kid won’t be weird if they get friend time every other day rather than every day when they’re in kindergarten. Then there are the others who don’t see friends as necsssary and a surprised at their kids needs for friends and how inconvenient that can be for the parents.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 3

Stress management/anger management for SAHMs.  Being "on" as Mom 24/7, especially if one's partner is perhaps not involved, can be very taxing.

I think something on dyscalculia and dysgraphia--two common issues that many are not as aware of as dyslexia. (So maybe the 3 Ds?)

I love the tossing marshmallows idea!

Maybe something on curriculum evaluation.  I shudder at the folks who think signing up for Time4Learning or buying a workbook at Costco is enough for say a 4th grader.  I thought that was a myth until I met a person like that when my son was doing his testing.  

• Like 4

I would just like for the workshops to be up-to-date. 

I'm not blaming our local convention planners and workshop leaders for providing out-of-date conventions. (OK, I do blame them for the hyper-religiosity and fearmongering about society, and the fact that they are still focusing on grain mills and essential oils and godly parenting.) But for the "school" part of "homeschool," they are trying to provide the information and support, and it's not their fault that the younger generation of homeschool moms (local) have not stepped up to help. Their *experience* is invaluable, as they homeschooled from preschool through high school graduation and have raised wonderful families. I would never discount their experience and wisdom. But their *information* is 10 to 20 years old. It's a different world for homeschoolers now.

-There are more reasons for homeschooling. There should be discussion about post-ps anxiety from testing culture and bullying.

-There are new types of families seeking information: fewer from-the-beginning hs'ers and more ps refugees, families who fear their diversity will not be welcome in the religious state hs'ing organizations, and families with some in school and some hs'ing.

-There are more options: Online, hybrid, part-time, a la carte (depending on state laws and local school districts).

-There is far more information on special needs homeschooling, and a lot to know about how to work with the schools and the medical community as hs'ers. New curriculum, too, for home therapy and education.

-The world of college prep and college apps is a totally new ballgame. 

So I would like an inclusive convention for diverse families of varying needs who are trying to homeschool their children in THIS era. Taught by people who have done that and are who are still doing it.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 8

Tech/Social Media parenting advice

Milestones - what's within the range of normal for certain skills, what's a red flag for deeper issues, and where to get help.

A workshop showing examples of unschooling done well and how they did it, without any of the unparenting nonsense (aka not "radical unschooling"),

Non-Traditional High School - how to homeschool high school in wildly creative ways but still leave the door open for college. 

How to Homeschool for Free (or Almost Free)

• Like 1

* what developmentally appropriate work looks like (either split by subject or age group)

* Information specific to homeschooling in the specific state (legal requirements, high school requirements, can hs students join clubs/sports at ps, etc)

* Ideas for the ________ loving student. (STEM, fiction, etc)

• Like 3

Lots and lots of fabulous ideas ladies. ITA about all the above suggestions. One that is hitting me right now is the social aspect gets so much harder the older they get and I've been leading HS groups and organizing events for years now. My son went to school in large part due to the social stuff, we had so few hs'ers that hs'd, even more so boys and most of them wanted to do their own things (and trying to get some input on organizing things for teenagers fell on deaf ears- they either didn't want to socialize or already had their own things going on)

I think an intro to homeschooling laws and requirements with a big q and a session is an obvious one for newbies. Not to be rude but for the people I see coming into hs'ing they really need that intro.

For those coming out of PS there is so much confusion about how people homeschool, I get sooo many questions that indicate that people think you use PS curriculum or something. That would perhaps be covered in going over different styles but I think for the newbie homeschoolers it has to be very explicit, they've never even heard of any of these methods (or 99% of them that I talk to haven't). So, I think maybe being even more general for those just getting into it- depending on your state- this is the subjects that you need to cover, these are the ways you can do that- literature approach, textbooks, or various other curriclum choices. Then a discussion about how to figure out the best choices for your family- figuring out you and your children's strengths and weaknesses, making goals (short and long-term), and figuring out your preferences.

• Like 4

Introversion, extroversion and how that affects homeschooling. Both for kids and parents, 

introverted moms need to hear that they can set limits on how much their kids can ask of them. ( it won’t kill your kid to be told “ mom needs a shower right now. Unless there’s blood do not open the door or knock on the door) but extroverted moms also need to figure out how to find good friends and not to panic if their introverted kid isn’t as interested in as many social opportunities as they might think they need.

intoverted moms may need to remember to nudge themeselves out of the cave occasionally and they also don’t need to discount the needs of the extroverted child.

sibling issues frequently are exacerbated by mismatches of introversion and extroversion.

• Like 3

All things college/university:  Common App, FAFSA/CSS, financial aid and what various terms (EFC, need met, Pell grants institutional aid, etc) really mean, how to use IPEDS and other search engines, and anything else my extremely overworked and exhausted mind might have forgotten. 

And I second or third no homemaker/essential oil/godly people workshops. 

• Like 4

How to run a high school lab intensive with your kid (and maybe friends), and then have a session specific to each of the big deal high school lab classes--bio, chem, physics, etc. Having some kind of chart to show how the suggested labs correlate to several popular programs would be icing on the cake.

How to teach a student to write a lab report.

Teaching students how to be good math problem-solvers--this discussion is kind of along the lines of what I mean, but a whole workshop about this would be awesome using examples from varying subjects in math (algebra, probability, geometry/trig, etc.). https://www.physicsclassroom.com/calcpad/habits

Some really specific suggestions for 2e autism teaching techniques from an autism expert--looking at profiles of autism, what that looks like in a person's overall academic trajectory, how to build in time for skills to generalize. Generalizing anything can be super hard--it's not exactly like "retaining," but it has a significant influence on academic progress just like having a kid who cannot retain things does, and it's much more difficult to really measure generalization than to measure retention. And just like everything else for 2e kids with other diagnoses, a parent has to somehow cobble together an understanding of kids with autism who aren't necessarily gifted AND understand "typical" gifted kids, and neither profile fits the kid you're teaching...it's just murky!

• Like 3

How to move away from hours of sitting-in-a-hard-chair style seat work and integrate movement for those kids who need it. 

• ie using chairs that wiggle, roll or spin (balls, office chairs etc) and allowing kids to move while working.
  • Getting up and moving for early elementary math, spelling, phonics etc. Doing practice problems using hopscotch, relay races, swings, balance beams, obstacle courses, ball catches, monkey bars what ever you have. 
  • Using whole arm movement for lessons instead of just fine motor skills. Writing on extra large paper, writing on windows, sidewalk chalk, bathtub crayons.
  • Using sensory boxes for reverse chalk boards. (writing in a pan full of rice etc)
  • Lots of Montessori methods use sensory or movements other than fine motor skills. 

Finding reading that is age appropriate and level appropriate. This can be just meeting a child with where they are at, remediation, or gifted reader.  Sometimes a 1st grader is ready for upper level books but the upper level books aren't appropriate for a 1st grader.  Also..sometimes a 12 year old is reading at a 1st grade level and those books are boring for the 12 year old.  Workshops for missmatched academic level and age level would be helpful.  This can especially be true for kids who were behind in public school, adopted, foster etc where the parent may need to remediate for a bit to catch them up. Not necessarily a special needs learner, but a child who just had gaps that need to be filled in.   Reintroducing phonics at an upper grade can be hard (with or without spelling) and advice on how to do that could be helpful for kids who missed them early on, and are struggling later.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

Co-ops, Classes, and Tutorials 

or

Herding Cats

Any basic advice for organizing free spirits into a regular group situation where always putting yourself first isn’t really the best practice. I don’t think most homeschoolers have rudimentary classroom management skills and get shocked and easily offended when fairly normal situations arise. 

It could help new people to know tricks like taking non-refundable payments, setting age (not grade) limits, and having clear drop-off and discipline policies. 

• Like 3

1. Shifting from a reactive mindset to a proactive mindset
2. Yes, homeschooling is work
3. Strategies for homeschooling effectively thorough a prolonged crisis
4. Adapting a set of materials to meet different educational philosophies and personality types
5. Is this co-op a good fit for you? How to have a good idea before you join & How to run a co-op sensibly
6. How and when to shift  from an individual mindset to a group mindest
7. The value of readalouds K-12: Ear training for grammar and effective imagery, exposure to ideas and great writing, vocabulary building the natural way, time travel without leaving home, seeing another person's perspective, enriching family culture, etc.
8. Basic Household Management Strategies-No, you don't usually have to choose between homeschooling and a chaotic physical environment
9. Personality isn't a cult-Learning and teaching coping strategies when the world doesn't adapt to our preferences
10. Children weren't meant to sit 6 hours a day
11. Research, Problem Solving, and Communication skills
12. Project Based Learning Techniques and Resources
13. Teaching financial Literacy and Consumer Skills
14. What colleges expect freshman to already know before the first day of classes
15. Streamlining: Integrating subjects for simplicity and reinforcement

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Any basic advice for organizing free spirits into a regular group situation where always putting yourself first isn’t really the best practice. I don’t think most homeschoolers have rudimentary classroom management skills and get shocked and easily offended when fairly normal situations arise.  

Yep! A friend just said she was stunned how prevalent this is when she joined a local homeschool co-op, and I've seen some seriously rude behavior at church from kids who just don't get that they are in a group. My friend has been a homeschooler for many years. She said that a local museum has mentioned that homeschool days are their most chaotic, but that this has not always been the case--homeschoolers used to be the behaved crowd.

2 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

4. Adapting a set of materials to meet different educational philosophies and personality types
9. Personality isn't a cult-Learning and teaching coping strategies when the world doesn't adapt to our preferences

I like these too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

Yep! A friend just said she was stunned how prevalent this is when she joined a local homeschool co-op, and I've seen some seriously rude behavior at church from kids who just don't get that they are in a group. My friend has been a homeschooler for many years. She said that a local museum has mentioned that homeschool days are their most chaotic, but that this has not always been the case--homeschoolers used to be the behaved crowd.

Oh, homeschoolers haven't always been the best-behaved crowd, I promise. o_0

One of the first group activities I went to 30 years ago was a presentation called "Hug A Tree," offered by national park volunteers. One of our support group leaders heard about it and called to set up a presentation for our [quite large] group. The volunteer she spoke with said he had done one for some homeschoolers, and they were the worst-behaved group of children he had ever seen; he called all of the other presenters and told them never to do presentations of homeschoolers. :-( Happily, she was able to talk him into doing one for us, and we bent over backwards to make sure our children were polite and attentive (of course, that was for the second presentation, because he completely forgot us the first time and had to reschedule, lol).

I have been known to read the riot act to a group of homeschoolers before taking them on a field trip, letting everyone, including parents, know that I would not hesitate to tell children to behave or to ask them to leave if they did not (and that I'd tell the parents to quit talking, because honestly, the parents can be just as bad as the children).

• Like 1