Menu

Anybody else hoard old curricula?

umsami

I seem to have trouble getting rid of old curricula... even if I didn't really like it... or I don't think it's a good fit for any remaining kids.

I tell myself that once my youngest is past that level, I can get rid of it.... only I don't.

Anybody else have this problem? ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes!!!

I have been an empty nester for over 20 years. My only grandchild will probably never be homeschooled, and even if he were, my dd would probably homeschool completely different than I did. It's just so hard to get rid of my stuff!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

It's not hoarding if the books are clean and stored properly upright in bookshelves, and the math toys and spelling tiles are hermetically sealed into Rubbermaid totes. If you might have chalk and crayons (and little wooden slates, and six reams of newsprint) that you think you could use in a post-apocalyptic scenario, that's just being responsible.

• Like 7
  • Haha 16

Let's just say I probably fall into the "homeschooling prepper" category. ?

If the internet dies tomorrow, I could still do K-12 with all books we have in the living room, kitchen, coat closet, both of my bedroom closets, upstairs hallway, downstairs hallway...

I like options.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep.  Loads of early readers that we never used but I can’t bring myself to get rid of.  And Sonlight pre k and k.  Love curricula...

I have all three volumes of KONOS and at least one timeline, plus several R&S English texts, plus several Saxon texts, and of course all my Spalding stuff.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, CTVKath said:

If I didn't like it, I ditch it. But if I liked it? The grandkids might need it in 20 years! What if there's a general societal meltdown and I've got to teach the neighborhood kids!! ?

Yes...this...as if that is what we will be thinking about without electricity or running water...hahahahaha...I totally plan to keep my curriculum, slates, and chalk for this very thing.  I think we could be sisters.  What will my house look like without my books?.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ellie said:

I have all three volumes of KONOS and at least one timeline, plus several R&S English texts, plus several Saxon texts, and of course all my Spalding stuff.

I will go to Ellie's house when the U.S. meltdown occurs....Konos is totally enough to homeschool for eternity...I never have purchased them...but I totally need to?.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

If the internet dies tomorrow, I could still do K-12 with all books we have in the living room, kitchen, coat closet, both of my bedroom closets, upstairs hallway, downstairs hallway...

I like options.

Zoo Keeper I think you are a friend after my own heart!  I totally don't use the internet or video programs in my teaching now...not that that is a bad thing...just out of my budget.  I love solid interesting textbooks-Notgrass/ BJU/ Rod and Staff with a ton of historical fiction, biographies, and the best literature. 

We have Kindles, but we are still keeping a very basic library of the best literature as I honestly do worry about hard times coming...but that is another topic.

Brenda

• Like 5

My husband and his siblings went to public schools all the way. My in-laws has an almost complete collection of their textbooks dating all the way back to 1974 when his sister (oldest child) enter first grade. If my in-laws ever have to move, we’ll pay our share for junk disposal. 

My kids are keeping their AoPS textbooks for souvenirs and my oldest might want to keep some physics textbooks. That’s about it. If we have to move without relocation benefits, it wouldn’t cost too much.

11 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

I like options.

"Homeschool Prepper" should totally be a show on HGTV! ?

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

OK, "Homeschool Prepper" could explain a lot of books I can't get rid of.  The normal things I used or might have used fall into that category.

And, never used, never planned on using, now I have the perfect excuse why I have it, "High School Subjects Self Taught," 1254 pages, copyright 1946.   Every Homeschool Prepper should have one, here is a link, there is one for just $6.76, perfect for the apocalypse!!  Interesting but totally impractical otherwise.

https://www.amazon.com/High-school-subjects-self-taught/dp/B0007E2QW4

I might have the 1967 Edition, I'm not sure, outdated either way, although the math, older history, foreign language, grammar, composition, etc is still good.

https://www.amazon.com/School-Subjects-Taught-Revised-Enlarged/dp/B001768N1E/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1535516829&sr=1-6

I use most of the spelling and phonics resources I have with my remedial students, but have a ton of math and supplemental books taking up space.  Realistically, in an actual apocalypse, all I would take is a bible, a Speller, my Lials Basic College Math, and "High School Subjects Self Taught."  I occasionally use Lials with a student who needs a bit of math help, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I pulled three two-foot high stacks off the shelves just yesterday. I need to sell them but am not motivated. I have a couple of totes full downstairs as well. I have a hard time selling expensive hard-to-find-used curricula because I know it would be difficult to get them back were I to "need" them again.