Menu

Vacation to the coast of Maine?

Ann.without.an.e

We are considering this for next year.  We know nothing ... it just sounds interesting and we've talked about it for years. 

What do I need to know?  Any recommendations for the best areas to book a home?  Any thoughts, tips, ideas, warnings are appreciated.

Thanks ya'll ❤️ 

For beauty, boating, and hiking, I recommend Mount Desert Island. If you want t o swim and walk on sandy beaches, try the southern coast. Ogonquit in the south has a nice oceanside path to w alk on. We often stay in a town near there to take advantage of the path.

• Like 1

Following

I think I've read too much Robert McCloskey (is that even possible?), because it seems like such an idyllic vacation. In my mind it's 2+ weeks, and it'd be nice to have a car. So I've seriously considered doing the multi-day drive with the kids on my own, since DH would not be able to take off all that time. Then he could fly in to vacation with us for a few days. 

• Like 2

What do you like to do? What kind of experience do you want? 

Most people who visit do something along the lines of what Mainer outlined. Fly into Portland (assuming you're coming from far away), and drive up the coast. Alternatively you could visit the mountains or lakes if you prefer, but the coast is where this state really shows off. :)

In general,  you'll find big sandy beaches south of Portland (York, Ogunquit and Old Orchard Beach--with its boardwalk--are popular), and rockier beaches the further up the coast you go (Popham in Phippsburg is one exception). The coastline in the Midcoast is ideal for kayaking--lots of harbours and islands to explore and lots of protected water with seals and so on. There's terrific hiking to be found almost everywhere thanks to our huge network of land trusts, cute historical village after cute historical village, fantastic food and microbrews...obviously I'm biased, but this truly is Vacationland. :)

• Like 1

I don't think we know what we want ?  We have beautiful sandy beaches close to us.  That isn't such a draw.  We might drive?  It is a 16 hour drive and that might be rough but I like the idea of having our own vehicle and the flexibility to just go.  I am torn between 1) choosing something near Camden/Rockport and renting that one place for 7-10 days and even bringing our dogs or 2) kenneling the dogs and making it a true road trip and spend a few nights in different places up the coast.  We have never seen Boston, etc. so we could even spend a night there on the way up.  Spend 2-3 nights on the southern coast, 2-3 mid coast, and 2-3 northern Maine.  I am just really unsure what is best.  We don't have any big ideas or plans.  We just want to see something new.

We went to Maine (from Washington state) last year and had a great time.  On the drive from Boston up to our place south of Portland, we really enjoyed Portsmouth, NH.  Then on we went from there, staying at this really awesome Airbnb 25 minutes south of Portland. We did some day trips from there, but not to the extent that it sounds like you want to do.  The Kancamagus Highway drive in New Hampshire is really beautiful. We were too early for the fall colors, but found a covered bridge to enjoy for awhile.  We did a little bit of the Freedom Trail back in Boston, and then ended with a Red Sox game at Wrigley Field, but the game was a yawner so sort of a downer.  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Attolia said:

I don't think we know what we want ?  We have beautiful sandy beaches close to us.  That isn't such a draw.  We might drive?  It is a 16 hour drive and that might be rough but I like the idea of having our own vehicle and the flexibility to just go.  I am torn between 1) choosing something near Camden/Rockport and renting that one place for 7-10 days and even bringing our dogs or 2) kenneling the dogs and making it a true road trip and spend a few nights in different places up the coast.  We have never seen Boston, etc. so we could even spend a night there on the way up.  Spend 2-3 nights on the southern coast, 2-3 mid coast, and 2-3 northern Maine.  I am just really unsure what is best.  We don't have any big ideas or plans.  We just want to see something new.

By northern Maine do you mean northern Maine or Downeast? It's easy to get the two confused.

Downeast is generally the coast from Acadia area on up to the New Brunswick border. Eastport and Lubec (West Quoddy Head Light, the eastern most lighthouse in the country) are places to see, as is Campobello Island. Cobscook State Park is lovely and Roque Bluffs has terrific and rugged hiking with spectacular scenery. Expect less of everything (services) the further Downeast you go. It's a beautiful and wild area.

Your plan sounds nice--you'll get to see a lot of variety. Just make sure you leave yourself enough time in each area and don't spend too much time driving. :)

• Like 2

I've camped at Acadia twice, once in middle school and once as a newlywed. It's an amazing place. Great hiking and scenery, and I think it has an enchanting quality. 

Actually, last week DH and I were discussing where to travel next summer. Since our extended family is far-flung, we usually have to choose which side to visit, and that's it for the year. DH suddenly burst out, "Well, WHY do we have to go visit family? WHY can't we do something nice for once? Like Acadia?" I took that idea and ran with it, and now we're going to Acadia next year! We'll probably rent a house, as I don't feel like dealing with the logistics of camping with small children. I'm so excited. We lived in New England right before we had our first baby, so the whole area is ripe with memories, and I can't wait to see it again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

By northern Maine do you mean northern Maine or Downeast? It's easy to get the two confused.

Downeast is generally the coast from Acadia area on up to the New Brunswick border. Eastport and Lubec (West Quoddy Head Light, the eastern most lighthouse in the country) are places to see, as is Campobello Island. Cobscook State Park is lovely and Roque Bluffs has terrific and rugged hiking with spectacular scenery. Expect less of everything (services) the further Downeast you go. It's a beautiful and wild area.

Your plan sounds nice--you'll get to see a lot of variety. Just make sure you leave yourself enough time in each area and don't spend too much time driving. ?

I guess I mean Downeast?  ??‍♀️

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 12:02 PM, Momto5inIN said:

We just camped on Mt Desert Island (Somes Sound) for a week this summer and it was beautiful! We primarily kayaked and hiked in Acadia National Park.

So did we!  It was gorgeous!  I grew up near Sequoia and thought that no park could be as beautiful.  I was wrong.  ?

Our one minor issue(?) that we didn't expect is that Mt. Desert Island doesn't offer good cell reception in quite a bit of it.  Our campground was lovely, and we definitely enjoyed the peace and quiet and getting away from everything, but I would go find cell service each day to check in with the kid we left at home.  We also learned that being early birds worked in our favor.  We'd get into Acadia first thing in the morning because by 9am a lot of the parking lots (especially the beaches) would be packed. 

I’ve been to Maine quite a bit, and it’s absolutely magical.

For hiking—rent a little camping cabin nearby and hike Mount Katadin.  It’s the end of the Appalachian Trail, and I think it’s the tallest mountain in the state.  There are moose in the area, and bears.  More moose than bears, thankfully.  

For fall colors, go in mid-Sept. and drive the Kagamangus Highway east/west.

For luxe, stay at a B and B in Kennebunkport.

For a mix, Acadia is stunning and a good place to camp.  I was startled at how humid it was, though—our clothes got all dimply cold overnight.  Putting some in the car solved that.  Fresh lobster and clams are a real treat—check the seasons for when you can get those.

8 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

So did we!  It was gorgeous!  I grew up near Sequoia and thought that no park could be as beautiful.  I was wrong.  ?

Our one minor issue(?) that we didn't expect is that Mt. Desert Island doesn't offer good cell reception in quite a bit of it.  Our campground was lovely, and we definitely enjoyed the peace and quiet and getting away from everything, but I would go find cell service each day to check in with the kid we left at home.  We also learned that being early birds worked in our favor.  We'd get into Acadia first thing in the morning because by 9am a lot of the parking lots (especially the beaches) would be packed. 

DSs and DH had problems too (Verizon) but mine was fine almost everywhere (AT&T).

We are usually early birds, but making breakfast and getting all 5 kids fed and dressed usually meant we were some od those who were searching for parking ?There was only once it made us change our hiking plans though. 

Cell service is likely to be spotty all over the state. We are rural, have a low population, and have a funky topography; limited service just a fact (outside southern Maine anyway). 

Thankfully you'll be too busy hiking, playing at the beach, eating lobster and drinking great microbrews to want to be on your phone...lol. 

Wifi can be found almost everywhere. :)

The coast of Maine is a gorgeous summer vacation!  I love Ogonquit the most, and there are lots of things to do there and in the surrounding area.  If you opt to stay in very southern Maine, Boston/Plymouth is a short day drive, as is the New Hampshire coast (where Hampton Beach was labelled one of the best family beaches in the US).

• Like 1