Menu

Any recommendations for thinning hair?

StaceyinLA

The hair on top of my head just keeps getting thinner and thinner. I’ve had a hysterectomy and never taken hormone supplements, so I’m not sure if that has something to do with it. Either way, it is frustrating!

Any suggestions for things that can help with thickening/hair growth? 

Also, any recommendations for a hairstyle that might make it look better? I’m going to my stylist tomorrow.

I'm following and hoping to get advice. The thyroid is a good place to start. Mine was right on the upper end of normal in every category last I checked it but I'm going to check again. 

I bought the Joan Rivers scalp covering/blending stuff on amazon that I think works in a particular spot. I've had an issue in one spot for years and my hairdresser has been able to style it in a "comb-over" of sorts. 

She also told me not to wash my hair every day and recommended a certain gentle brush. I'm considering Rogaine if my thyroid numbers are still in range. But I haven't researched that at all! 

She also told me to take a good omega vitamin. If you've lost weight recently, that could be a factor as well. 

5 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I'm following and hoping to get advice. The thyroid is a good place to start. Mine was right on the upper end of normal in every category last I checked it but I'm going to check again. 

I bought the Joan Rivers scalp covering/blending stuff on amazon that I think works in a particular spot. I've had an issue in one spot for years and my hairdresser has been able to style it in a "comb-over" of sorts. 

She also told me not to wash my hair every day and recommended a certain gentle brush. I'm considering Rogaine if my thyroid numbers are still in range. But I haven't researched that at all! 

She also told me to take a good omega vitamin. If you've lost weight recently, that could be a factor as well. 

I wonder about the not washing every day.  When I skip a day washing, a ton of hair comes out in the shower, that I end up sticking to the wall because it's all over my hands.  Maybe your hairdresser is right, but I wonder.  

Also, if you're like me with baby fine hair, then skipping a single day can make you look like a greasy mess.  I did find a workaround to that: I spray a ton of dry shampoo in my hair the night before I go to sleep on the days I will skip washing my hair. If I wait until morning, it's too late.  The dry shampoo is minimally effective.  

• Like 1

My hair is super fine. I used to have that issue with oily, but I think my scalp adjusted- or my thyroid is out of whack- because my hair is normal to dry now. 

Sometimes I rinse my hair in the shower, but don't use shampoo. I only have to use dry shampoo on my crown roots. I can go 3-4 days now without washing it. 

Sorry I’m just getting back to this. I was gone all day yesterday and then had a crew over for dinner.

I believe my thyroid is normal, but I’m not 100% positive. Is it something that would be checked during yearly blood work? My GYN does mine (since he’s the only doc I see that regularly). I don’t believe I’ve ever had any issues with my thyroid.

I don’t wash my hair daily - never have. My hair isn’t really oily at all, so I usually do every other day; occasionally every third day if it’s not looking bad or if I’m wearing it up.

I have a lot of essential oils and was thinking of trying something along those lines - just wondering if anyone had ever gone that route.

I have my haircut appointment today so I’m gonna see if maybe just getting it cut and getting more layers will lighten the top enough to keep it from being so obvious, at least until I can try to do something about it.

On another note - part of my problem is I really would like to do some testosterone shots for a few months (mainly to help my husband iykwim), and I know that is only gonna make it worse, so I’m just really in a pickle. The post-hysterectomy life hasn’t been good for him and his sex life. It makes zero difference to me because without the testosterone, I couldn’t care less if I ever had sex again, but he just doesn’t love that. ?

I've heard that rosemary essential oil especially, when mixed into the shampoo, can make hair regrow thicker. I tried it once when I was young, and it did make my scalp tingle, but I didn't stick to it long enough to see any hair differences.  Not that I would have noticed in my early 20's anyway.

My hair started falling out due to anemia caused by low B12 levels.  I had bloodwork done.  If you have lost your ability to absorb B12 in your digestive tract like me, taking over the counter supplements won't solve the problem, shots will be required.  It dramatically decreased my hair loss and I got some regrowth.

• Like 1

for thyroid - you want FREE t3 and FREE t4.  (also reverse t3).  most drs only run tsh.  tsh is a pituitary hormone that is made to tell the thyroid to make hormone.

some drs will run them frequently (every three months -if you're stable, it's a money maker for them) - but once your thyroid is stable - once is a year is fine.

running the "FREE" numbers will tell you what is actually available for your body to use.   some drs will run them - some won't.  my last dr LIED about running them.  (she ran "totals" - which are worthless.)  I asked to see the paperwork - and her lie was exposed.  

Edited by gardenmom5

22 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

define "normal".

there's "normal" and there's *optimal*.  two completely different things.   all those "normal" ranges - include people with suboptimal thyroid numbers.

and what tests are being done?

Edited by gardenmom5

7 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

My hair started falling out due to anemia caused by low B12 levels.  I had bloodwork done.  If you have lost your ability to absorb B12 in your digestive tract like me, taking over the counter supplements won't solve the problem, shots will be required.  It dramatically decreased my hair loss and I got some regrowth.

Same thing happened for me! I was prescribed B12 supplements and I am eating a lot of fermented foods in the hope of increasing my body's absorption of B12.

22 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

I don’t think I have this issue since recent blood work didn’t show any type of anemia, but this IS something I want to be careful of, so I’m glad you mentioned it. My mom’s oncologist told us that everyone reaches a point where they stop absorbing B12 and have to do shots, and that once you lose brain function from being deficient, you will not get it back. I have always wanted to be sure I stay on top of that B12, because I can scarcely afford to lose what brain function I DO have.

21 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

how are your adrenals?  low adrenal function can (common in middle age/older) can lead to thinning hair.  how are the outer thirds of your eyebrows? thick or bare?

I feel like my eyebrows are still relatively thick. I know I have to get them waxed if I don’t keep up with plucking.

I’m definitely gonna see if my doctor will follow up with some more detailed bloodwork. I HAVE wondered if estrogen would help, but I honestly hate the thought of taking it. I never have though, and I know it can help with some other issues like bone density, so it’s possible I could do it for a period of time.

On another note, I did get my hair cut yesterday and it looks a LOT better on top. She layered it heavily all over so it at least there isn’t so much weight to pull it downward and make it look like I have big nearly-bald spots.

My stylist recommended Biotin, which I forgot I have, so I think I’ll be more diligent about taking that, along with all my supplements I should take and don’t. 

Also, I’ve researched a few different essential oils and am going to just make a spritzer to spray on, and maybe put a drop or two in my shampoo.

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 11:54 AM, gardenmom5 said:

for thyroid - you want FREE t3 and FREE t4.  (also reverse t3).  most drs only run tsh.  tsh is a pituitary hormone that is made to tell the thyroid to make hormone.

some drs will run them frequently (every three months -if you're stable, it's a money maker for them) - but once your thyroid is stable - once is a year is fine.

running the "FREE" numbers will tell you what is actually available for your body to use.   some drs will run them - some won't.  my last dr LIED about running them.  (she ran "totals" - which are worthless.)  I asked to see the paperwork - and her lie was exposed.  

I just had some of these tests done but don't know what optimal levels are.  Is there a chart or range you can post a link to?

17 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I just had some of these tests done but don't know what optimal levels are.  Is there a chart or range you can post a link to?

this is the chart i use.   there are many out there, but most have total t3 and total t4 (which are generally useless numbers as it doesn't tell you what is available for you to actually use.)

http://www.wellbeyond55.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/thyroidLevels_chart.jpg

• Thanks 1

My hair is very fine, but. It necessarily thin. Are you getting a finer texture of hair or are you seeing more scalp without hair?

My curls seem to disguise how baby fine the hair is and give it volume. I read an article lately that says some thinningnis cause by clogged pores and you want to really scrub your scalp for longer than you think you should to remedy this. They said your arms should get tired and that you should keep your conditioner in your hair but off your scalp as much as possible.