Menu

Easiest food for a party that can be prepped the day before?

ksr5377

I'm thinking taco bar?  I could cook all the meat on the Friday before the party and just put it in the slow cooker Saturday afternoon to warm up.  Dice up all the toppings the day ahead as well.  Maybe some rice in the rice cooker the day of, but that's quick.  Chips and salsa to munch on.  Is that enough?

For reference it's my daughter's 4th birthday party, but soon after we scheduled it the morning filled up with a variety of other commitments.  I can't cancel as it's really the only evening that works and I do need a full meal, as a few people will be traveling 3 hours to get here.  I don't need to impress anyone with anything fancy and it doesn't have to be "kid" food as all the children there are good eaters. Is there something that would be easier, other than ordering pizza?

• Like 1

Casual--taco bar or chili

A 'real' meal--German meatballs in mushroom/caraway gravy.  You can make spaetzle in advance and heat it up in the oven on the day of, or make noodles right then at the last minute.  As last minute things go, noodles are pretty easy. 

A 'company' meal--Veal rolls.  You make them in advance, and simmer then for 30 minutes to warm them up right before serving.  French rice pilaf is great with this and can also be made in advance and warmed in the oven. 

• Like 3

We did the same thing recently. I made it 'walking tacos' with single-serve bags of Doritos. You cut the top of the Doritos bag off and use the Doritos as a broken up taco shell by adding toppings to the bag. I also had bowls for anyone who wanted to skip the Doritos and have a taco salad. It ended up being a little less work for me as the hostess and I had less cleanup after.

• Like 3

I was going to say taco bar!  That is my go to, easy, people pleasing buffet.  It can easily also accommodate vegan, GF, dairy free if they build their own.  And most kids can go with it too.

I usually do

Chicken (there is a recipe out there for Chipotle's chicken in bulk)

white rice

Black beans (also a recipe for Chipotle's out there somewhere)

In crock pots.  Then I have 

Guac, salsa, cheese, sour cream, hard shells, soft shells, maybe jalapenos/hot sauce, cilantro, lettuce.  

• Like 1

I like taco bars, tacos in a bag...

But I loooove chili. Chili, corn bread, green salad or veggie tray.

I also love sausages cooked then kept in crockpot. Italian with peppers and onions or Polish with sauerkraut. Chopped salad with the italian sausage or potato salad with Polish sausage.

We've done the taco bar several times, and it is easy. I do cheat and buy the shredded lettuce to save that step! 

We are going to try a Mac-n-cheese bar this time. We can make the mac-n-cheese the day before and just bake it in the oven the day of. We've already smoked a brisket, and it is frozen waiting to be reheated. I'll make bacon the day before too, and just crumble it in a baggie. Chop some green onions. Crush a bag of chips. Purchase a bag of additional shredded cheese. Wait - this is sounding like more work than the taco bar now. Oh, well, I wanted to do something different!

A 'company' meal--Veal rolls.  You make them in advance, and simmer then for 30 minutes to warm them up right before serving.  French rice pilaf is great with this and can also be made in advance and warmed in the oven. 

Please share a favorite recipe for this...I need this soon - sounds wonderful!

I'm looking at your list in the OP, and I think you could use a vegetable. A veggie tray with dip would be easy and kid friendly. My SIL will make a big pot of slowly cooked green beans in advance and then keep it warm or reheat it, which would also be easy to deal with at the last minute.

I think a taco bar can be a fun option. But I also think if you will have a lot of small children there, it can be a hassle for parents to help their little ones with all of those separate food components, while also needing their hands for assembling and eating their own food.  If there will be lots of children who need adult help with their meal, something like a big pan of macaroni and cheese (as suggested above) would be easier. Because one scoop on the plate, and it's ready to eat.

• Like 3

I did a make-ahead buffet for a family of 20 at Easter and this was the menu:

Shredded Ham  https://www.melskitchencafe.com/sweet-baked-ham-the-most-unique-and-delicious-ham-ive-ever-had/ You cook it & shred it ahead then layer it in the slowcooker to "bake"

Assortment of rolls for the ham for sammies

Sliced cheeses & mustards for sammies

Pea & bacon salad (make ahead & chill)

veggie tray

cup cakes & fruit 

Amber in SJ

I love the walking taco bar idea, and I think the kids would too.  Sam's will sell you multipacks of Doritos single size for like $10.00.

I would also have fruit salad or fruit kabobs.... and maybe juice/sparkling water type drinks (maybe with fruit frozen inside of the ice cubes to make it fancy?)

Honestly, I'd probably just get $5 hot and ready pizzas from Little Caesars, but I think parents and kids would appreciate a non-pizza party!

While I’m personally not a big fan of them, lots of people I know do sloppy joes for these types of birthday parties or another hot meat one pot meal sandwich filling. It’s easier than tacos because you don’t have to deal with all of the various toppings. Then just a veggie tray, some cut up fruit, some chips, and maybe a salad of some type.

• Like 1

Add a pan of mac and cheese for the youngesters - easier than tacos for them.

When I have a group like this, the entree varies, but I always have two or three trays that are easy to make ahead and easy finger food for guests -

Cheese & crackers/charcuterie

Cut veggies

Cut fruit

Edited by Seasider