Menu

If you can't/don't want to join CC (Classical Conversations) for whatever reason(s), which....

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure that you find that debate and discussion. We had looked at Challenge; however, it was suggested by the tutor that it would not be a good fit since my kids might be disruptive or might distress the other students since we had different (though still Christian beliefs). She thought exchanging different ideas might make the other students Ă¢â‚¬ËœuncomfortableĂ¢â‚¬â„¢.

Another Challenge, farther away, that we looked at put priority on kids that were extremely local (and belonged to the same church).

My kids are loving their Literature and Debate classes at a local coop. So much better! And a wonderful variety of classmates and ages. I am extremely grateful that Challenge was not an option for us!

This is what I'm interested in starting... A lit and debate class.

Thanks for this

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you for your original post, celeryseedling ....it was an excellent question. I hope you continue posting. :)

CC tends to elicit some intense responses on both sides on these forums (and there have been troll-like posts in the past).

To answer your original post, my family has had a great experience in Foundations, but between the cost/commitment involved in Challenge, and the fact that Essentials and Challenge will likely be a poor fit for at least one of my children, we probably won't move beyond Foundations.

We have an excellent, well-established UM-type program in our area, which I could use in high school if I wanted debate/discussion outside our home. And I have friends doing a casual co-op for IEW because they liked the program, but hated the pace of Essentials.

So for me, at least, I'd be interested in non-CC classes that cover those topics.

Thank you for these suggestions and for your sweetness!

I'll probably continue posting. Just got my feelings hurt a smidge.

• Like 1

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m truly sorry celery. CC has torn many countless homeschool communities apart, abused many of its members, misuses marketing techniques, and is a pyramid scheme. So, it causes a lot of flare ups here.

Anyway,

For younger kids I have found that sticking to old fashioned support group type activities works. Meet weekly, at a home or rented park pavilion. Week one can be just play and talk, week two can be a craft or art project and then kids play, week three can be the monthly party (non scary Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, new yearĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s valentines, saint patricks day, Easter, May Day, end of school year. Each party should have a game or craft and something to do that the kids might take home) week four can be a field trip. Try to keep it local. In the beginning you and one other mom can do it all and then as the group grows you can start assigning positions. People should pay a small dues to cover costs of rental and crafts and they pay the dues regardless of whether they attend, up front, in quarterly payments. Usually about 20.00 per family. Field trips should be as local as possible otherwise people wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t go, and at first they can be you just going someplace without a docent, but once the group grows enough you can enforce more rules, arrange the trips ahead of time and therefore the places you go will provide you with a docent.

This is similar to how our old support group in Florida worked and it was awesome!

It's ok, Calming Tea. Once I google troll, I'll try to be more mindful so I won't sound troll-ish.

I had no idea of CC's baggage and thus surrounding emotions. Lesson learned.

Thanks for these suggestions!

• Like 1

I know of no leads. There are two homeschool groups in my area... CC and another coop that is so exclusive/hyper-conservative that we'd never mesh. There's taekwondo, tennis, mixed martial arts, swim teams, gymnastics, and the like but these, like CC, are not really for socializing. The kids aren't supposed to be socializing during the instruction or implantation of these lessons. I need my child to have a group of peers who meet for the MAIN purpose of socialization. I don't mind taking on a single course (book club, Art of argument, speech and debate, etc ; (this class would be serious /appropriately rigorous) for them to do prior to socializing but I don't know what course to offer (I'll have to advertise it). I'm not the only person in my area who's in this exact boat of not wanting to do CC and yet missing aspects of it. I have friends who can't join for finances; I have a friend who can't return because she's having her 5th baby in July and it wears her out to drag them all to CC weekly; then there's me who likes to choose the curricula that fits US, that doesnt want to add 6 hours a day of school to our 2-3 hours of pre-existing non-negotiables, and who wants to teach my own kid. Yet all of us who aren't returning will lament(.. This Verb has caught flack... So let's say "will be bummed") .... Yet all of us who aren't returning will be bummed about missing out on some aspects of the program. So... I've got opinions from 2 gals (other than myself) about what she'll miss and what she'd sign up for and wanted to get MORE imput... thus my post.

*implantation=implementation

Celery, I think you have some good ideas, and it sounds like you have at least a few others who will join you. Truly the only thing I will miss when we leave CC is the social part. What I miss from old co-ops are art or music classes, literature/book club type discussions, and active classes like PE. Things that are more enjoyable to do in a group. I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t miss any of CCĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s academics.

• Like 1

What's MLM?

MLM is multi-level marketing.  It's school done in the style of Mary Kay and Tupperware, where there is a distinct pyramid of cash flow.

FWIW, I think if you did a single class of a classical style it could be a great addition to your community.  Our rule for classes is that it should always have an aspect that I cannot provide easily at home; be it content or the social aspect needed for a true understanding of the subject (like debate).  It's kind of how we fell into our current class.  My youngest took outside language lessons in the fall, but when the teacher quit the other parents and I found an online substitute.  Now the kids learn the lesson online or with their family, and each week have a group class to practice communicating.

• Like 2

I'll probably continue posting. Just got my feelings hurt a smidge.

When you post on here, put on your armor, helmet and sunglasses ahead of time!   :laugh:   Especially the chat board - Lol.  I've been on here since we started looking into homeschooling (about 10 years ago).  There is a ton of information on this forum and I would've had a hard time homeschooling in the beginning without the support.  I think this is probably the most active homeschooling forum online.  But, I've developed thick skin posting on here!   :tongue_smilie: 

• Like 3

I personally think you ought to just offer a regular park day instead of messing with trying to provide a class. It doesn't sound like academics are what you are looking for, but socialization is. If you kids are older, offer teen night instead of park day.

I've thought of this too(you're right that we're primarily desirous of socialization opportunities), but (barely secondarily) we need a group with which to practice debate and to hear other not-just-like-our-own ideas.

Celery, I was called a troll in my first couple of posts, too. I had to get used to the style of posting ( LOTS of background info is required) and I started with some controversial posts about religion because I was having negative experiences being a religious minority. I jumped right in to see if I would be scolded, banned, or deleted again. 

So maybe I was trolling a little, but that wasn't my intention. 

Trolling is intentionally stirring up trouble, often through deception. Posing as something you aren't to get people fired up. IMO this board is quick to distrust newcomers. 

I agree with above poster that a teen night is a good start to pull people together. We live in a tiny town. (actually outside of town). My teen has tried a lot of different social events in our town, other towns, and the city an hour away. He has decided that the town teen night is the one thing he wants to stick with. All of the other kids go to school together. He doesn't mind being the outsider. 

Once you build a bit of a community wither among other home schoolers or in your geographic area, you can find the other things you are looking for. You might into clubs offered at the local high schools, or the public libraries if your homeschool community is small. 

• Like 1

I have 2 kids in CC Challenge. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m pretty sure I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have the next one in line do Challenge, and the main things IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m concerned about having to replicate are:

1. Close knit friendships - the kids get along great and hang out together outside of class

2. Speech and debate/presentation skills - we will probably do this through a local speech and debate club

3. Sharing their work with an adult other than me and interested peers - it seems to motivate them to know that their work is not just for me

Edited by Jazzy
  • Like 1

I see now that your ultimate objective is finding out what kinds of classes we would like. (Note to the wise- we are a lot more obliging when we donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to guess at what you want. ). It seems to me that you already have a couple of friends who are in the same boat as you. Why donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t you just see what they want and tailor either a park/ field trip group with or without a class to them? Or just make something with your own strengths in mind?

DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t take it personally if some donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want CC or anything you offer. (Signed the person who has been homeschooling for 14 years with no co-ops or outside classes. We have enjoyed lots of activities and opportunities through our Y though. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Nothing. 

Book clubs are easy to do with friends and the library. My kids love to discuss what they read and that is a normal part of their friendships and our family culture anyway. 

There are several excellent speech and debate clubs for homeschoolers here. Many classes and activities require presentations, public speaking and some element of debate.

We live in an area with many, many excellent learning opportunities, academic and enrichment, for homeschoolers. More than any family could participate in. We have not had any trouble finding what we need. We have never had any interest in CC, though there are many groups in our metropolitan area, three of which meet within two miles of my house. Most of our extracurriculars are not homeschool specific, just regular things like church, scouts, music lessons, sports etc.

The only thing I can think of that CC offers that we do not have much of locally are Logic classes. Many families do an informal logic study with their middle grades students and leave it at that. People who want formal Logic can do an online class with one of several excellent providers (MP, WHA, VP) or take it at a local Christian classical school which welcomes homeschoolers as part time students in the upper grades. 

No one here except CC teaches writing using The Lost Tools of Writing, but parents can use it at home just fine, like any other curriculum. 

Eta: In elementary years, my kids do a half-day tutorial which is art and drama. Tutorial = drop off. A whole morning free for me, fun and good instruction for them. As others have said, this is something I cannot do at home. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

I just want to second the recommendation to check out the  homeschool speech and debate group (NCFCA). You could start by volunteering to judge at one of their tournaments to get an idea of how it works.

Maybe consider a book club for a small group? As others have mentioned, if you pull in writing, you will have a lot of interest. I am not sure about your child's age.  Center for Lit has a great curriculum (Teaching the Classics) that walks you through how to have a socratic discussion of books, starting with childrens books and advancing through novels. Their Reading Roadmaps book lays out a schedule of books to read and what the meetings might look like (if you did monthly, quarterly, or weekly) for different grades if you are interested in that. 

If there is a FB homeschool group for your state, you might be able to find local social groups/co-ops that way.  I have been surprised at how many exist here that I didn't know about prior to being on there. New ones can quickly start from there also as people connect.

Add me to the list of people who felt CC was a waste for us. We didn't even make friends in those 20  minutes on the playground.  What was nice was that most of us were following a mostly classical approach to education and so I could pick brains on curriculum and such. That is exactly why I have grown to love this forum so much. I have homeschool friends here but mostly they do not homeschool classically and I often have questions. These ladies and gents of the Hive (forums) have truly met a need and I am grateful. I hope you will forgive us for accusing you of being a troll.

Edited for clarity

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I just want to second the recommendation to check out the homeschool speech and debate group (NCFCA). You could start by volunteering to judge at one of their tournaments to get an idea of how it works.

Maybe consider a book club for a small group? As others have mentioned, if you pull in writing, you will have a lot of interest. I am not sure about your child's age. Center for Lit has a great curriculum (Teaching the Classics) that walks you through how to have a socratic discussion of books, starting with childrens books and advancing through novels. Their Reading Roadmaps book lays out a schedule of books to read and what the meetings might look like (if you did monthly, quarterly, or weekly) for different grades if you are interested in that.

If there is a FB homeschool group for your state, you might be able to find local social groups/co-ops that way. I have been surprised at how many exist here that I didn't know about prior to being on there. New ones can quickly start from there also as people connect.

Add me to the list of people who felt CC was a waste for us. We didn't even make friends in those 20 minutes on the playground. What was nice was that most of us were following a mostly classical approach to education and so I could pick brains on curriculum and such. That is exactly why I have grown to love this forum so much. I have homeschool friends here but mostly they do not homeschool classically and I often have questions. These ladies and gents of the Hive (forums) have truly met a need and I am grateful. I hope you will forgive us for accusing you of being a troll.

Edited for clarity

I don't mind the troll bit. No worries. It did get me stuck on the "I'm a grumpy old troll who lives under the bridge" song from Dora the Explorer show. Can't get it outta my head. Ha!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FvcJqcUlYTo

I'm definitely going to explore the NCFCA.

Thanks for the great ideas!

• Like 2

I know of no leads. There are two homeschool groups in my area... CC and another coop that is so exclusive/hyper-conservative that we'd never mesh. There's taekwondo, tennis, mixed martial arts, swim teams, gymnastics, and the like but these, like CC, are not really for socializing. The kids aren't supposed to be socializing during the instruction or implantation of these lessons. I need my child to have a group of peers who meet for the MAIN purpose of socialization. I don't mind taking on a single course (book club, Art of argument, speech and debate, etc ; (this class would be serious /appropriately rigorous) for them to do prior to socializing but I don't know what course to offer (I'll have to advertise it). I'm not the only person in my area who's in this exact boat of not wanting to do CC and yet missing aspects of it. I have friends who can't join for finances; I have a friend who can't return because she's having her 5th baby in July and it wears her out to drag them all to CC weekly; then there's me who likes to choose the curricula that fits US, that doesnt want to add 6 hours a day of school to our 2-3 hours of pre-existing non-negotiables, and who wants to teach my own kid. Yet all of us who aren't returning will lament(.. This Verb has caught flack... So let's say "will be bummed") .... Yet all of us who aren't returning will be bummed about missing out on some aspects of the program. So... I've got opinions from 2 gals (other than myself) about what she'll miss and what she'd sign up for and wanted to get MORE imput... thus my post.

Now I understand what you were trying to say, thank you for clarifying!  Looks like you will have a ready made group to do a small group. Did/do you tutor at CC? If so and they get wind of you doing your own thing, you may well get accused of breaking your contract. You CAN use your materials, you just can't call it cc (I don't think you were planning to anyway).  To this day people who were in the cc group I was in are still rude because they believe the false allegations. Sadly, the people at the top of the chain encourage their members to assume that someone may be doing something illegal and to report them, even before seeing if they might have made false assumptions. 

• Like 2

We are finally leaving CC and it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. We were with CC for 3 years and this year my oldest was in challenge. It has sucked everything I love about homeschooling out of our day. Before CC we had great disussions, we crafted, we read together. None of that happens now. I need to pick my own curriculum. I absolutely love creating courses for our family. Finding projects, books, topics that I know my kids will enjoy. I love going on bunny trails and hearing questions and little minds thinking. CC is full of memory work but oddly enough none of the memory work typically associated with neo-classical education. They never memorize poetry, bible is somewhat an afterthought. It's one passage for the whole year. We stayed because all of my kids friends and my best friends are in the group and I figured it was one day a week washed away but we still could do what we want the rest of the time. At challenge level it changes though and I just can't justify it anymore. And yes small groups of like minded parents doing enrichment activites outside of school time is a great idea. We are involved in enough outside of CC that I'm not worried about them seeing their friends.

Edited by Momto4inSoCal
  • Like 4

We are finally leaving CC and it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. We were with CC for 3 years and this year my oldest was in challenge. It has sucked everything I love about homeschooling out of our day. Before CC we had great disussions, we crafted, we read together. None of that happens now. I need to pick my own curriculum. I absolutely love creating courses for our family. Finding projects, books, topics that I know my kids will enjoy. I love going on bunny trails and hearing questions and little minds thinking. CC is full of memory work but oddly enough none of the memory work typically associated with neo-classical education. They never memorize poetry, bible is somewhat an afterthought. It's one passage for the whole year. We stayed because all of my kids friends and my best friends are in the group and I figured it was one day a week washed away but we still could do what we want the rest of the time. At challenge level it changes though and I just can't justify it anymore. And yes small groups of like minded parents doing enrichment activites outside of school time is a great idea. We are involved in enough outside of CC that I'm not worried about them seeing their friends.

I am so glad to hear that weight has been lifted off your shoulders!  Since you mentioned needing to pick your own curriculum, I have been enjoying this  https://layers-of-learning.com/  lots of neat bunny trails in the boarders of the pages. It's a 4 yr. cycle and there are 20 units to each cycle.  They recently added this      https://layers-of-learning.com/homeschool-curriculum-catalog/   you can click on the tabs for every single unit and there in the tabs are the library top picks (the guides have more extensive lists), links & videos, printables, and library extensions.  They have youtube playlists, Pinterest boards, a correlated guide for spine books ( history, science, geography, and art) such as DK & Kingfisher encyclopedias, Khan Academy videos, and Story of the World  https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Layers%20of%20Learning%20Science%20Correlation%20Chart.pdf?token=AWy7CkJfEWKtc-oBnr4sbyblOJ4WoQODF_XJic3v8eD9cr_58BZzroiVqRLMY2mpxgHakYQWdLPpn5VT2YGFBFTO-f9r7zTp_ZIAXwkFUZLnGg74WnlXfG_EhirR3pd_IiKQQ9LM4tRjXPZ1fXKbzuev    

I am enjoying that we can study a topic as in depth as we want or less in depth with a few books and videos. 

Edited by Itsnotasprint
  • Like 1

Lol, bc no one can do those things without paying a ridiculous amt to the auspicious CC. (I'm on my phone, and I don't know how to make a green emoji. :))

Book clubs have been around forever. Libraries often even have teen and kid ones--free and far more diverse than CC.

This and the fact that many of the ones around areas I've lived or groups that held them were very Reformed/Protestant. Many of us aren't/aren't anymore. But basically, even when we were, our family couldn't afford to participate; it was definitely treated as an elite, in-crowd kind of thing.

Edited by mommaduck
  • Like 1

The only thing that really interests me at all is the social aspect. My best friend is involved in CC and there aren't any other classical homeschool co-ops or groups around here that I'm aware of. I can't afford to pay for CC (or any of the other non-classical co-ops for that matter), so I try and meet up for Park Day that one of my Facebook groups organizes.

• Like 1

The only thing that really interests me at all is the social aspect. My best friend is involved in CC and there aren't any other classical homeschool co-ops or groups around here that I'm aware of. I can't afford to pay for CC (or any of the other non-classical co-ops for that matter), so I try and meet up for Park Day that one of my Facebook groups organizes.

This is my exact situation. There are no other co-ops. I need to find peers (preferably same gender).

Honestly, I am not impressed with CC. There send to be a decent following in my area. I didn't find challenge A to be very challenging. I also find the whole program too rigid and unmotivating, as well as overpriced and time consuming.

There is really nothing I feel like we miss out on.

• Like 2

What about NCFCA for debate opportunities? 

http://www.ncfca.org/

I'll look into this for sure

I was going to suggest debate also. NCFCA is not the only league, btw. We traveled for our kids to participate in the club meetings, and, of course for tournaments, but you can go to as many or as few tournaments as you want. (Warning: both of ours qualified for and went to nationals. They qualified more than once, but each went once.)

We all - myself included - forged life long friendships at speech and debate. We didn't do it for this social aspect, but, boy are we still reaping social benefits. My children also learned to compete, how to deal w/ failures, how to write, research/organize/condense/present info. Speaking in front of an audience? No problem. Job or college interview? No sweat. 

I committed to the drive for this one league and club after talking to several people who told me that speech & debate helped them be prepared for college more than anything else. Mine have very different college majors, but both credit S & D for helping in college and in life. :)

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

I do clubs-three different ones for three weeks of the month, and another mom has stepped in and is doing another one one week a month. Each has about an hour of planned activities and about an hour of planned socializing. We stated when DD was 7,and now the kids are mostly early teens, and the content changes, but the main format stays the same.

Also, DD does cheer at a gym where it is common for kids to spend hours hanging out on team practice days-they might come after school at 3:30,do homework or socialize, do a stretch clsss at 5:00 (which seems to involve a lot of chatting-DD rarely misses a stretch class because she likes the talking while stretching part of it), eat a sandwich at 6:00, and practice from 6:30-8:30. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know how the kids in traditional schools keep up with homework, but it definitely allows a decent amount of teen girl hangout time!

• Like 1

(I edited this after lunch to better express my positive opinion of our local options. I wasn't sure that came through in my original words.)

I've been reading the WTM boards for a decade and appreciate the candid discussions. I wanted to share my experience in hope that is may be helpful to another parent. From middle school on, the costs to home school do grow. They don't have too, I get that, but for most of us they will: outsourcing math, science, foreign language or writing. 

We've been with a CC community for a few years and my oldest will likely continue with Challenge A (after that I'm not sure, as the tutor and peer group changes for her). I've supplemented with other materials following many guidelines of the WTM and CA. We have chosen to use CC as part of our learning, not direct our learning. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve experienced the benefits of CCĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s cyclical memory work and the Essentials writing program. It's simply harder to run IEW, consistently complete oral presentations and run the history projects on my own while I care for my younger ones.

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹We have a sweet morning time similar to Schole Sisters and the ladies with At Home podcast. :) 

Additionally, we formed an Ambleside group with my close friends, and while I adore the people, the content and the pace, without the accountability, the delivery has varied too much for me to "count on it" to meet our academic needs. Perhaps this is because I have both Form 1 and Form 2 students? Despite my hours of prep for literature, architecture and science, too many co-op days it runs into a glorified park date when families arrive unprepared. For a snapshot anecdote, our CC community collects $50 for annual supplies (mainly for art & science supplies) while my Ambleside group balked at the idea of collecting money (too rigid, unneeded, too constricting). So, each of us spends money on our area subjects, and then we do a group reimbursement at the end of the year. Guess what? It has matched my CC supply costs for 3 years running!  

I disagree with the MLM charge often thrown at CC. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve not met anyone doing CC for the money though some will tutor to cover their costs. Our local UM model co-op costs about 2x more than CC, so again, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve observed my friends will teach to cover their kidsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ costs. Those friends may earn 2-3x the CC tutor pay for teaching. Around middle school, I'm watching many of my friends working PT/returning to FT so they can afford private school tuition or the many costs to continue music/sports/robotics/etc classes. 

Fwiw: Our community has 3 UM model co-ops, 7 CC communities, and a number of other groups like Alveary, MP cottage schools, etc. The options do segment our home school community but families discover not all kids fit one model Ă¢â‚¬â€œ isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t that what drew many of us to home school in the first place? I am thankful for the friendships across these groups.

Edited by Palmetto210
  • Like 4

Nice post Palmetto, and thanks for the discussion starter celeryseedling! 

I don't think I've ever posted on this forum, but I have often come here over the last 16 years that I've homeschooled, especially when feeling overwhelmed and need to hear some classically minded opinions.

The very first time I looked into CC, there weren't any communities close enough for me to also be willing to pay for. And we were broke anyway. Then a couple of years ago, I realized there were communities in my area, and I reluctantly went to an information meeting - determined that I wasn't going to join anything. Long story short, we've been in CC for two years now. But for next year, I'd like to take a year off, and I'm ok with that, but my husband isn't, and the kids are mostly concerned about their friends. So, the decision hasn't been made yet, and have enjoyed the varied responses, though I don't like the extreme negativity of some. In all of my research of groups in our area, CC is the least expensive for what it is.

That is all.

I'm glad for the honest reviews of CC.  Obviously it works for some.  But it never seemed to be the kind of thing that would work for me.  If I wanted regimented learning, I would put my kids in a brick and mortar school.  But the extreme popularity and almost religious zeal that I ran into around here made me really doubt myself for a time.  Now I'm glad that I said no to the CC pressure. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I'm glad for the honest reviews of CC.  Obviously it works for some.  But it never seemed to be the kind of thing that would work for me.  If I wanted regimented learning, I would put my kids in a brick and mortar school.  But the extreme popularity and almost religious zeal that I ran into around here made me really doubt myself for a time.  Now I'm glad that I said no to the CC pressure. 

I am giving a homeschool to college workshop this afternoon.  I know that at least 1 of the families is a CC family.  When I have had CC families attend in the past, they have always been confused and asked for follow up information on the complete flexibility of courses and sequences.  Some have been very surprised by the levels of academic achievement that students applying to top competitive universities have managed to achieve during high school.

Flexibility and pacing seem to be the 2 things that I end up focusing on when I work with these families.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

For those here questioning CC, there's a Facebook group where lots of ex-CCers tell their stories. I posted it on another post about CC here, but I'll stop after this so as not to be annoying. I just think the FB group has such good info. Stuff you won't hear anywhere else, because negative reviews from people who have really been in deep in CC are so locked down usually.

Here's the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2135913039963411/

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 10:45 PM, celeryseedling said:

Now that we're getting out I want to offer a single course that'd appeal to many that would provide the one subject (wouldn't take over one's curricula /time too much) and afterwards the kids and moms could visit/socialize for 2-3 hours.

I don't think there's going to be one "most-wished-for" subject.  Pick the one you most want your dc to learn with friends and that you will be able to teach most effectively and enthusiastically.  Where I live, this is usually a drop-off arrangement.  If you want parents to stick around for social time, be sure you make that clear up front.