Menu

Blood clots - questions?

swimmermom3

I've had a varicose vein running down my right leg since the birth of my third child 20 years ago. It's ugly, but I've never really had an issue with it.

Last weekend, I was getting out of my rig on the passenger side and hit that big sucker about mid-level on my calf on the running board.

It really hurt momentarily, but then was fine. During the week, there were sore spots along the vein and it began to get red, hard, and warm. I took baby aspirin, ibuprofen, and iced it. Last night in the bathtub, I was alarmed to see that there was generalized redness that ran halfway up my thigh, about a foot from the initial injury.

I went to the doctor's this morning. They did an ultrasound and found a very large clot on a superficial vein, but it is very close to the femoral artery and I am at significant risk for pulmonary embolism. They have started me on Eliquis and I have my first follow-up in two days.

I have always been very healthy, but do carry extra weight. This has rather shaken me.

What else do I need to know for those of you who have BTDT?

Edited by swimmermom3

Oh gosh, that's scary. I'm sorry. :(

I can tell you from what I've seen with my Dad and another friend that once you get one, for some reason they seem to make you more prone. Always err on the side of caution and go to the ER after this. 

It sounds like you are already really active, but you're probably going to need to be extra cautious from now on with long flights and drives. Make sure you get up, move around and don't sit too long at a desk or anything all day. 

Also, the clotting meds can make you more prone to skin tears in general, so just be aware that that might be a side effect. Be gentle with yourself. 

I hope everything goes well at your follow up. 

Thanks for the extra info. I love to hike and the footing is seldom easy and we take significant road trips out to remote areas all the time.

I was told no standing on ladders or chairs. I do all of our interior painting and am in the middle of a project, so this is really a bummer.

I've been wondering if part of the reason this is a problem now is that with working at the desk for long hours on my teaching certification, I have been more sedentary for the past few months.

Anyway, I'd love advice because it's only been a couple of hours and my brain is already rebelling at having "constraints," but I know the alternative isn't too good.

Avoid Vitamin K and foods rich in it.  Maybe compression socks...check with doc.  I have my dh wear them when he travels.

Please take good care of yourself and listen to your body.  

My precious dad had a DVT a number of years ago.  Thankfully he's been able to lead a rather normal life with blood thinners and other healthy life choices, but I still worry about him sometimes.  His happened after a long road trip with lots of sitting in the car :(

• Like 2

Life after a blood clot in my leg:

Blood thinners right away and I needed to take it easy for a week or so until the clot resolved. I was able to stop the Coumadin/warfarin after about six months.

I had some damage toâ€stuff†in my leg due to the blood clot. For a few years, it felt weaker than my other leg (clot was just above the knee). I took up skiing again as a low-impact way to exercise that leg and it made a world of difference. I still notice that that leg gets tired first in a hard workout.

When I fly, I take lovenox shots (actually the generic). One shot before taking off and one shot after the last leg lands. This is a preventative as the docs aren’t sure what caused the blood clot. I get an aisle seat always so I can stand up and move around, I remove my shoes and wiggle my toes on the flight.

Anything I can do to avoid a reoccurrence is worth the effort.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 2

Life after a blood clot in my leg:

Blood thinners right away and I needed to take it easy for a week or so until the clot resolved. I was able to stop the Coumadin/warfarin after about six months.

I had some damage toâ€stuff†in my leg due to the blood clot. For a few years, it felt weaker than my other leg (clot was just above the knee). I took up skiing again as a low-impact way to exercise that leg and it made a world of difference. I still notice that that leg gets tired first in a hard workout.

When I fly, I take lovenox shots (actually the generic). One shot before taking off and one shot after the last leg lands. This is a preventative as the docs aren’t sure what caused the blood clot. I get an aisle seat always so I can stand up and move around, I remove my shoes and wiggle my toes on the flight.

Anything I can do to avoid a reoccurrence is worth the effort.

Thank you, this is really helpful.

I can totally understand the last. 

I had the exact same thing, except I’m not sure where mine came from. I was on (still am) eliquis, too. It’s been a year and still on very low dose eliquis, because it was so large and was considered an ‘unprovoked’ blood clot. It’s gone now, but took a while. Anyway, I couldn’t excersise for a while, no jumping or bouncing (can’t do that anyway because of other health problems), no fast (power) walking, etc. I got compression tights and wore them some. I also put my feet up. It was kinda scary and I’m still a bit paranoid anytime my leg hurts. Anyway, ((hugs)). Be patient. It’ll dissolve soon.

Thank you. Apparently Eliquis is a newer medication and requires less oversight than warfrin, which my mom is on and she has to do coag frequently.

I hate compression socks. I had them during that last pregnancy, but I am feeling pretty motivated, because you are right, it is definitely kind of scary.

Thanks for the reminder for patience. That is not my middle name. 

Avoid Vitamin K and foods rich in it.  Maybe compression socks...check with doc.  I have my dh wear them when he travels.

Please take good care of yourself and listen to your body.  

My precious dad had a DVT a number of years ago.  Thankfully he's been able to lead a rather normal life with blood thinners and other healthy life choices, but I still worry about him sometimes.  His happened after a long road trip with lots of sitting in the car :(

I really appreciate everyone's input and the kind thoughts.

I now have a more comprehensive list of questions for my follow-up visit tomorrow.

Debinindy, the point about Vitamin K is a serious one. The list of "no-go" foods I find were tied to warfrin, so I am hoping it's not as critical for the medication I am on, because I eat some of the listed deep green veggies nearly every day.

I also hope we are able to figure out the car rides. We live in an absolutely stunning state and one of our great joys is to visit remote corners. We just got our youngest off to college and parents' health took a huge dive in the last 6 months. Dh and I feel a bit sandwiched with college payments, parenting young adults, parenting parents, and the "golden" handcuffs of dh's job. Getting out in the backwoods is our sanity. 

• Like 2

I really appreciate everyone's input and the kind thoughts.

I now have a more comprehensive list of questions for my follow-up visit tomorrow.

Debinindy, the point about Vitamin K is a serious one. The list of "no-go" foods I find were tied to warfrin, so I am hoping it's not as critical for the medication I am on, because I eat some of the listed deep green veggies nearly every day.

I also hope we are able to figure out the car rides. We live in an absolutely stunning state and one of our great joys is to visit remote corners. We just got our youngest off to college and parents' health took a huge dive in the last 6 months. Dh and I feel a bit sandwiched with college payments, parenting young adults, parenting parents, and the "golden" handcuffs of dh's job. Getting out in the backwoods is our sanity.

I’m not a medical professional, but I would guess you will have few limitations after this clears up. From my understanding of the op, you don’t have a dvt, rather a superficial clot that is just in a bad location. It also seems like it was provoked by the injury to the vein. They may recommend treating/removing the varicose vein, which is a fairly easy procedure. I had EVLT and phlebectomy in mine about 10 years ago, and will have it again on the other leg, as well as new veins removed on the treated leg.

• Like 2

Are you on any birth control meds?

I have had varicose veins all my life, but it wasn't until I was pg with my second that I actually had a clot show up.  It was superficial, and other than needing to apply heat and elevate my leg (and the recommended stockings), it didn't need any care.  Fast forward a few years and I had a second one show up in a different spot.  I went in,had it looked at and was told it was not a danger and to do the heat/elevation/compression stocking routine.  I have not had a clot show up in the ten years since.  However, shortly after the last one I was at my annual with the ob/gyn and told her about the clot and how it was resolved.  She went through the roof that she hadn't been notified by the family doctor.  She was aghast that he didn't see that I was on BC in my file.  She immediately took me off the pills that I'd been taking and told me the options available to me since I've had clotting issues.  (Depo, IUD or permanent measures.)

I've had no problems since.  When we travel we try to make a brief stop every couple of hours and I am much more mindful to stay hydrated.  I do not fly for my own peace of mind, preferring to drive across country if needs be.  If it came to it where I had to fly for some reason, I would take the shots, despite not having troubles in years.

• Like 3

Dh has had three PE. He will now be on blood thinners for life I think. After the first one (2009) he was on Coumadin for over a year and he hated it. So he took none until 2016 summer when he had one while in flight. It was terrifying. Until then we did not know that flying was a huge risk for people with a history of PE. If we had known we could have got hm Lovinox for the trip at least. Then after his knee replacement last summer, even though he was up and active hours after surgery and every day after, amd even though he had 10 days of Lovinox injections post surgery he had another PE 8 days after his last injection.

What he takes now is Pradaxa.....it is expensive. But he hates Coumadin with a passion.

Edited to correct....10 days of Lovinox not 2.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

I have been on blood thinners but not for a situation like that.  When they placed my first PICC I developed a DVT.  

Initially they put me on a new blood thinner.  However, because it didn't have a "antidote" (Vit. K) and because I was a fall risk, I insisted on warfarin instead.  Warfarin was a real challenge to keep correct as it can really be affected by your diet/Vit. K intake.

I have no idea if you need to go to the dr. or not but I'll tell you that my clot created a heavy pressure feeling in my chest/shoulder.  If they've looked at it and they aren't concerned then I wouldn't be.  They were (way) over the top with my issue and made me take warfarin forever (until I had the PICC removed) so they seem to be very cautious overall?

• Like 1

I have had varicose veins all my life, but it wasn't until I was pg with my second that I actually had a clot show up.  It was superficial, and other than needing to apply heat and elevate my leg (and the recommended stockings), it didn't need any care.  Fast forward a few years and I had a second one show up in a different spot.  I went in,had it looked at and was told it was not a danger and to do the heat/elevation/compression stocking routine.  I have not had a clot show up in the ten years since.  However, shortly after the last one I was at my annual with the ob/gyn and told her about the clot and how it was resolved.  She went through the roof that she hadn't been notified by the family doctor.  She was aghast that he didn't see that I was on BC in my file.  She immediately took me off the pills that I'd been taking and told me the options available to me since I've had clotting issues.  (Depo, IUD or permanent measures.)

I've had no problems since.  When we travel we try to make a brief stop every couple of hours and I am much more mindful to stay hydrated.  I do not fly for my own peace of mind, preferring to drive across country if needs be.  If it came to it where I had to fly for some reason, I would take the shots, despite not having troubles in years.

This exact same scenario played out with my SIL.  They talk her off BC permanently as well.

• Like 3

OP, is your doctor doing any follow up to determine the cause of the clot, or are they comfortable that the clot resulted from the injury? Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome is a leading cause of clots and strokes in women, but it is frequently not investigated. I quoted the above post about BC pills, because it incenses me that we hand out BC pills to virtually any female without doing any investigation. BC pills are dangerous to women with APS. In addition to APS, there are other disorders that may lead to a hypercoagulable state.  If they have NOT definitively determined the cause of the clot, it may be something you want to discuss with your doctor.

I have been on blood thinners in the past. They can be a real challenge to live with, but it beats the dangers of a clot. Personally, I had issues with anemia (my menstrual cycle was a nightmare.)

:grouphug:

• Like 3

I have been on blood thinners in the past. They can be a real challenge to live with, but it beats the dangers of a clot. Personally, I had issues with anemia (my menstrual cycle was a nightmare.)

:grouphug:

Can you explain?  You had issues with anemia due to your cycle and THEN you had a clot (because of taking something for your period or?) ?  When did the blood thinners come in?  

Can you explain?  You had issues with anemia due to your cycle and THEN you had a clot (because of taking something for your period or?) ?  When did the blood thinners come in?  

I developed anemia while on blood thinners, due to ridiculously heavy periods.

• Like 1

Thanks for the extra info. I love to hike and the footing is seldom easy and we take significant road trips out to remote areas all the time.

I was told no standing on ladders or chairs. I do all of our interior painting and am in the middle of a project, so this is really a bummer.

I've been wondering if part of the reason this is a problem now is that with working at the desk for long hours on my teaching certification, I have been more sedentary for the past few months.

Anyway, I'd love advice because it's only been a couple of hours and my brain is already rebelling at having "constraints," but I know the alternative isn't too good.

Sorry this happened to you! Don't rub or massage it. You don't want the clot to travel.
  • Like 1