Menu

An economical kitchen knife recommendation

Spy Car

Goodness knows that following my kitchen advice (especially with the name Williams-Sonoma in the mix) can cost someone big $$$$$.

However, at Christmas, I received a knife (OK is was at my "suggestion" :D) that I'm really liking, and it was CHEAP!!!

Backstory, my trusty German paring knife, one that I use daily, went missing. The boy is the one and only culprit.

I'd hope it would turn up (not the first occasion of going missing). But missing a sharp little utility knife, and it being Christmas, I remembered having seen a ceramic knife made by Kai at Williams-Sonoma that had intrigued me.

They have other knife shapes, but I like the look of a Japanese style design they call a santoku. At $13 I figured it was worth the risk.

Turns out, I love this little knife. Very sharp. Not sure that it can be sharpened (?), but it has become my go-to utility knife, and I'm quite pleased with it.

So If you have dull knives, and you want a little knife that's sharp and have no desire to break the bank, this knife may please you.

Bill

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/kai-santoku-knife/?catalogId=50&sku=6011746&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Cutlery%20%3E%20Santoku%20Knives&kwid=productads-adid^225675118204-device^c-plaid^370196095125-sku^6011746-adType^PLA&gclid=CjwKCAiAnabTBRA6EiwAemvBd3ofyUefL5Fz9dtFz3Retx95QX_OVskiyqvswRyqpDIXiDiKD-EwyhoCDWEQAvD_BwE&cm_ite=[[PLA]%20-%20Manu%20Desk/Tab]

• Like 3

Kuhn Rikkon is another brand that has great quality to price.

ETA. This is the one I have and I will wash it rather than use my high quality German Santorum.

https://ch.kuhnrikon.com/en/cutting/kitchen-knives/santoku-knives/colori-1-santoku-knife.html

Nice. I wouldn't be surprised if these came from the same factory.

I'm been surprised at how attached I've become to this very economical knife.

I like the looks of these Kuhn Rikkon ones too. They seem extremely similar.

Maybe they are pretty different after all. These seem like they have a steel edge and I think the Kai ones are ceramic.?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Nice. I wouldn't be surprised if these came from the same factory.

I'm been surprised at how attached I've become to this very economical knife.

I like the looks of these Kuhn Rikkon ones too. They seem extremely similar.

Maybe they are pretty different after all. These seem like they have a steel edge and I think the Kai ones are ceramic.?

Bill

They are steel, but I’ve used ceramic at my dads and they are razor sharp. I just can’t get past their feather weight!

We have a drawerful of expensive knives, but the one I use multiple times every single day is a $15 Farberware ceramic knife. I picked it up on a whim at Walmart and it has turned out to be my favorite knife ever. I went and bought another one because I use it so much.

I've had Kuhn Rikon ceramic knives and didn't like them much - the blades broke easily.

• Like 1

Those look interesting. I use my paring knives all the time and hate dull blades. Even on vacation recently I had to buy a sharpener to sharpen the ridiculously dull knives. Ugh.

I’m considering a good set of Wusthof as a starter set for my youngest who is quite into cooking. Yes? No? Save for Japanese?

Yup. We used to have expensive knives, that my husband assured me were wonderful if/when they were sharp. But they were never sharp. So i bough myself some ceramic knives. I treat them badly, I admit, but they are inexpensive enough I don't feel bad just replacing them now and then. Definitely my favorite type of knife. 

I've had a few brands...the cheaper ones off amazon...wacool I think was the brand, were sharp at first but haven't held an edge, I won't buy them again. But the Kyocera brand ones have been great. I love this one (and I LOVE that they come in pretty colors! It's like the Fiestaware of knives!) https://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Advanced-Ceramic-Revolution-Santoku/dp/B001UE2I00/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1516970343&sr=1-3&keywords=ceramic%2Bknife%2Bkyocera&th=1

• Like 1

We have a drawerful of expensive knives, but the one I use multiple times every single day is a $15 Farberware ceramic knife. I picked it up on a whim at Walmart and it has turned out to be my favorite knife ever. I went and bought another one because I use it so much.

I've had Kuhn Rikon ceramic knives and didn't like them much - the blades broke easily.

When I got the KR steel knife, I also picked up a ceramic one and don't like it at all.  But the steel one is great!  

Those look interesting. I use my paring knives all the time and hate dull blades. Even on vacation recently I had to buy a sharpener to sharpen the ridiculously dull knives. Ugh.

I’m considering a good set of Wusthof as a starter set for my youngest who is quite into cooking. Yes? No? Save for Japanese?

I think knife "sets" are really over-rated.  You need:  1 santoku or chef, 1 paring knife, a bread knife, and steak knives.  Bread and steak can be cheap brands because they work through the serrated edge rather than the quality of the steel and its edge.  AND... get an easy-to-use knife sharpener, one you just slide the knife through a few times.  As stated above, good knives are only as good as they are kept sharp.  

I have a chef and a santoku from Henkel, which is similar in quality to Wusthof.  They are really good knives.  BUT, I should have considered my hands.  I am petite with tiny hands and a Japanese knife would have probably been a better chioce for me.  Part of the reason why I like my new Kuhn steel knife is because it is a mini-santoku, about 2/3 as long as my German one, with a lightweight plastic handle.  So the overall knife is just a better fit for me.  I still get out the Henkel when I'm trying to work through a big stack of carrots or celery or something.

ETA:  (obsessed with knives much?) I'll add that even though I am a "knife person", I don't own a paring knife, I just use the corner of my santoku or a steak knife.  I find it very hard to keep paring knives sharp, so they frustrate me more than anything else.  I probably need to sharpen them with an actual whetstone or something.  ANYWAY... the point of the above post is that you should consider the person using the knife.  Smaller frame: go Japanese.  German-build, go German.  :-D  

I hate, and I mean HATE my mom's Cutco knives.  I don't care if they're made in America, they are terrible.  Gah.  I can't even think about them without shuddering.  That's actually how I ended up with the Kuhn- I was visiting her and desperate to have a good knife to use in her kitchen.  It was an impulse buy at Sur La Table in Berkeley, then I just brought it home with me when I left.  

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 2

I don’t need more knives . . . I don’t need more knives . . . I don’t need more knives . . . I don’t need more knives . . . I don’t need more knives . . .

Honestly, if you don't need another knife, you don't need one of these.

But for those who don't have a sharp knife in the drawer, these are a highly serviceable option for $13. I'm pretty exacting when it comes to working with quality kitchenware (including knives) whatever the price. And I've bonded with this cheap little knife.

Bill

I have a set of ceramic knives from Harbor Freight.  They're even cheaper than the ones at Walmart.  And sharper. I had a few from other brands, but as they broke, I just replaced them with ones from Harbor Freight.  I put them in the dishwasher.  I don't baby them at all.  One got broken. I've had one for more than 5 years. It's still sharper than the "fancy" wedding knives are right after you sharpen them.  I'm not sure I'll ever switch to something more expensive until they stop selling them.

• Like 1

I have a set of ceramic knives from Harbor Freight.  They're even cheaper than the ones at Walmart.  And sharper. I had a few from other brands, but as they broke, I just replaced them with ones from Harbor Freight.  I put them in the dishwasher.  I don't baby them at all.  One got broken. I've had one for more than 5 years. It's still sharper than the "fancy" wedding knives are right after you sharpen them.  I'm not sure I'll ever switch to something more expensive until they stop selling them.

Good to know! We have a harbor frieght nearby. 

• Like 1

I told dh I wanted one inexpensive all-purpose knife for Christmas. He bought me one but before Christmas came, there was a Chef knife on sale at Aldi for $9.99. I bought it as a back-up to the "good" one and it's been awesome. I use it more than the Victorinox he bought for me. 

I absolutely LOVE my Shun 8†chef’s knife. I also LOVE my Cutco bread knife, and my Cutco steak knives are okay as well. I was not at all impressed with how the Cutco chef knife held up; it is so dull compared to my Shun, and it has been sharpened.

I have been wanting to get a good paring knife, so I’m definitely gonna check this little guy out!

When I got the KR steel knife, I also picked up a ceramic one and don't like it at all. But the steel one is great!

I think knife "sets" are really over-rated. You need: 1 santoku or chef, 1 paring knife, a bread knife, and steak knives. Bread and steak can be cheap brands because they work through the serrated edge rather than the quality of the steel and its edge. AND... get an easy-to-use knife sharpener, one you just slide the knife through a few times. As stated above, good knives are only as good as they are kept sharp.

I have a chef and a santoku from Henkel, which is similar in quality to Wusthof. They are really good knives. BUT, I should have considered my hands. I am petite with tiny hands and a Japanese knife would have probably been a better chioce for me. Part of the reason why I like my new Kuhn steel knife is because it is a mini-santoku, about 2/3 as long as my German one, with a lightweight plastic handle. So the overall knife is just a better fit for me. I still get out the Henkel when I'm trying to work through a big stack of carrots or celery or something.

ETA: (obsessed with knives much?) I'll add that even though I am a "knife person", I don't own a paring knife, I just use the corner of my santoku or a steak knife. I find it very hard to keep paring knives sharp, so they frustrate me more than anything else. I probably need to sharpen them with an actual whetstone or something. ANYWAY... the point of the above post is that you should consider the person using the knife. Smaller frame: go Japanese. German-build, go German. :-D

I hate, and I mean HATE my mom's Cutco knives. I don't care if they're made in America, they are terrible. Gah. I can't even think about them without shuddering. That's actually how I ended up with the Kuhn- I was visiting her and desperate to have a good knife to use in her kitchen. It was an impulse buy at Sur La Table in Berkeley, then I just brought it home with me when I left.

I don’t even need a paring knife. I’m not making little roses out of my tomatoes. I do find a tomato slicing knife handy and I prepare enough fish to benefit from the filet knife. I agree the big knife sets are ridiculous.

• Like 1

I agree that the ceramic are super sharp and easy to use. We are on our third -- I got them for dd because they come in pink and red, lol. I broke her first knife while cutting something hard (squash?) and moving the blade from side to side a bit to help get through the cut. The blade snapped in half. So with next knife, I was chopping herbs. The knife hit a woody stem and the blade got gouged. I got dd a third knife, but we are scared to use it....

For relatively inexpensive knives, I love the Mercer Genesis line -- full tang, forged, traditional styling. I've been told they are a favorite at CIA. Very low prices at webstaurant.com. Another favorite of mine are the Victorinox Fibrox chefs knives. They are top rated on many sites. I was dubious at first, as they are stamped, not forged, but they handle well and stay sharp. The 8" chef in one of my favorite knives. I found a good price for this at Amazon.

ETA

I just got this knife organizer from the Container Store, useful and not too pricy. I also buy blade guards for my knives.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/kitchen-drawer-organizers/madesmart-in-drawer-knife-mat/12d?productId=11005363

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

This is timely because I just bought a new set of knives. I had spent a fair amount of time researching because I've had Chicago Cutlery knives for years and wanted something better. Really considered, at first, buying ONE really nice knife, such as a good Wusthof chef's knife for about a hundred dollars. I narrowed it down to the Wusthof, a Shun chef's knife, and the Mac knife. The Shun was slightly more expensive with a thinner blade angle. But one other knife kept popping up in the mix of reviews. It was a Victorinox Fibrox Pro chef's knife. This knife is much more affordable, and it kept getting great reviews and the performance compared right up there with the other expensive knives. I would be able to piece together a whole new set instead of buying just one knife. I thought about it for awhile, and finally ordered the Victorinox. They are made in Switzerland and have a thinner blade angle than most standard knives. The blades themselves are thinner, too, and don't feel as beefy or hefty as a Wusthof. But many professional chefs seem very happy with these, according to reviews.

So I got an 8 inch chef knife, a 5 inch chef knife (love it!), a bread knife, two steak knives (serrated), and a paring knife. I also got a honing steel and a knife sharpener (which I have never owned) that is specifically designed to sharpen knives that are cut at the more narrow angle of the Victorinox. Just a standard sharpener won't work; it will eventually damage the blades.

So I've had them a couple weeks and love them all! I didn't think I would really need the 5 inch chef knife, but I love that knife! And these are seriously sharp knives. You just need to hone them frequently and sharpen them with a home sharpener a couple times per year. Or take them out for professional sharpening. These are supposed to hold their edge, and, if cared for properly, last a lifetime.

They are great for a small build, too. They are lightweight knives, and you can chop a lot without getting tired. I recommend the Fibrox handles for the chef and bread knife. The steak and paring knives don't come with Fibrox. Fibrox is a professional grade handle, and knives with Fibrox handles are angled for good knuckle clearance (on the chef knives). It is very, very comfortable in the hand.

Love these!

I also think Santoku knives are really cool, and I wish I had one. I don't really need it now, though. :)

I had not read your post before I posted, above. I love, love, love my Victorinox Fibrox 8" chefs knife. So comfortable. What do you use your smaller chefs knife for? (Not that I should be thinking about more knives, lol.)

I also like the Mercer Genesis series, a little heavier than the Victorinox, but not too heavy. At one point, I bought an extra wide, 12" Wusthof chefs knife. The thing cuts like a guillotine, good for mincing large batches of herbs, but otherwise does not get too much use. It sits in the drawer with a smoked salmon slicer.

When I took a knife course, the instructor recommended using a sharpening stone, rather than en electric sharpener. Not sure if you were using electric or hand held. If hand held, I'd love to hear about it!

One of my sentimental favorite knives is a 3" mushroom fluting knife. Because Julia Child. I got it during my carbon steel Sabatier (old Sabatier) period. LOL.

ETA

There was a cooking store near me (now sadly closed) that had a yearly knife event. Workstations were set up all around the store, staffed by manufacturers reps. You could try out the knives by chopping real food. It was wonderful. I used to spend all day there.

And there were knife skills classes throughout the year. I thought I wouldn't need a class, because I've been around so long, lol. Wrong! It was so helpful. I'd like to look for more classes to refresh my skills once a year or so, or practice new skills like boning and filleting.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I had not read your post before I posted, above. I love, love, love my Victorinox Fibrox 8" chefs knife. So comfortable. What do you use your smaller chefs knife for? (Not that I should be thinking about more knives, lol.)

I also like the Mercer Genesis series, a little heavier than the Victorinox, but not too heavy. At one point, I bought an extra wide, 12" Wusthof chefs knife. The thing cuts like a guillotine, good for mincing large batches of herbs, but otherwise does not get too much use. It sits in the drawer with a smoked salmon slicer.

When I took a knife course, the instructor recommended using a sharpening stone, rather than en electric sharpener.

One of my sentimental favorite knives is a 3" mushroom fluting knife. Because Julia Child. I got it during my carbon steel Sabatier (old Sabatier) period. LOL.

I love carbon steel. My most sentimental knife is an old carbon steel that belonged to my grandmother. Whenever I use it (which is often) I think of her.

I'm not sure ceramic knifes will endure quite so well.

Bill

• Like 1

I love carbon steel. My most sentimental knife is an old carbon steel that belonged to my grandmother. Whenever I use it (which is often) I think of her.

I'm not sure ceramic knifes will endure quite so well.

Bill

I also like that the edge of the older French knives is flatter, compared to the more curved German blades. I had to learn a whole new way of cutting/chopping.

I was in love with the ceramic until I started to break them! We have the Kyocera ones. Perhaps I would have less bad with the cheaper models.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I also like that the edge of the older French knives is flatter, compared to the more curved German blades. I had to learn a whole new way of cutting/chopping.

I was in love with the ceramic until I started to break them! We have the Kyocera ones. Perhaps I would have less bad with the cheaper models.

I've been keeping the little Kai ceramic in its sheath. I've been concerned it might chip easily, but so far so good.

At $13 I've resigned myself to the idea it might not last forever; however, I've become very attached to this cheap little knife (and more than I expected).

Bill

• Like 1

I've been keeping the little Kai ceramic in its sheath. I've been concerned it might chip easily, but so far so good.

At $13 I've resigned myself to the idea it might not last forever; however, I've become very attached to this cheap little knife (and more than I expected).

Bill

I checked the WS website, amazing price! Luckily I could not find it on Amazon....

I sometimes find myself irritated with WS, when they do things like sell the 1.5 mm Mauviel as though it were the best copper, but the knife looks like a good deal.

• Like 1

I checked the WS website, amazing price! Luckily I could not find it on Amazon....

I sometimes find myself irritated with WS, when they do things like sell the 1.5 mm Mauviel as though it were the best copper, but the knife looks like a good deal.

WS and "great value" are not always synonymous. 

This is just one of those times....

Bill

• Like 1

When I took a knife course, the instructor recommended using a sharpening stone, rather than en electric sharpener. Not sure if you were using electric or hand held. If hand held, I'd love to hear about it!

ETA

There was a cooking store near me (now sadly closed) that had a yearly knife event. Workstations were set up all around the store, staffed by manufacturers reps. You could try out the knives by chopping real food. It was wonderful. I used to spend all day there.

And there were knife skills classes throughout the year. I thought I wouldn't need a class, because I've been around so long, lol. Wrong! It was so helpful. I'd like to look for more classes to refresh my skills once a year or so, or practice new skills like boning and filleting.

How nice. I’d love to try out a variety of knives.

I’m going to buy my husband and son a knife skills class. Dh is ridiculous around knives.

• Like 1

Honestly, if you don't need another knife, you don't need one of these.

But for those who don't have a sharp knife in the drawer, these are a highly serviceable option for $13. I'm pretty exacting when it comes to working with quality kitchenware (including knives) whatever the price. And I've bonded with this cheap little knife.

Bill

Are the Kai knives ceramic or resin coated? I ask because I like to throw my knives in the dishwasher and I also occasionally drop them due to carelessness. I need to rethink if they are ceramic and delicate.

Question for frequent Williams Sonoma Shoppers:

A little OT but last September I ordered several items from Williams Sonoma and the delivery was one item at a time spanned over several weeks - still waiting for my citrus press and now (3 months later)  I received a check in the mail with no explanation, not in the exact amount for the press but I am thinking this must be their way of saying: "We don't have it anymore. Here is some money back." 

Long story short, I was just not that impressed with them. Is this an isolated incident or not? I like quite a few of their items but if this is how ordering / shipping goes...I'd rather not.

• Like 1

Are the Kai knives ceramic or resin coated? I ask because I like to throw my knives in the dishwasher and I also occasionally drop them due to carelessness. I need to rethink if they are ceramic and delicate.

I'm not 100% positive.

My assumption is that these knives might be vulnerable to chipping if handled roughly. That's a guess.

So far (after a month of heavy use) the knife has held up perfectly, but I've been careful wiping and hand washing it and keeping it in the sheath. So I don't know.

Bill

• Like 1