Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW1: Welcome to our Open Roads Reading Adventure

Robin M

Currently Reading:

Don Quixote (19% in 12 months lol)

It took me 3 years to get through it lol! I kept putting it aside in favor of other books. I'm not sorry I read it but after I finished I found myself scratching my head over its being a classic. Other than it being the first modern novel, I didn't find much to praise about it. 

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just commiserating that it's a very slow read.

• Like 9

It took me 3 years to get through it lol! I kept putting it aside in favor of other books. I'm not sorry I read it but after I finished I found myself scratching my head over its being a classic. Other than it being the first modern novel, I didn't find much to praise about it. 

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just commiserating that it's a very slow read.

I agree. There's not much narrative arc. I finally forced myself to read a set amount of pages a day which helped me get through it. I'm glad I finished.

I'm contemplating reading Moby Dick this year. I think it's the next one I haven't read in The Well-Educated Mind book list.

• Like 8

Nora Roberts fans, I need your help.

...But I have never read any of her books, and I at least want to read one before I go! ..

I like fantasy, so maybe Year One.

Kareni? Robin? Anyone?

mumto2, was it you that was reading Year One?

What fun!  I'm always up for visiting a book store, and it would certainly be an added enticement to meet a favorite author.

Yes, Robin, mumto2, and I have all read Year One.  It's an out of the ordinary book for Nora Roberts as it deals with (hmm, what to call it?) a killing plague.  It contains some romances, but overall I'd not classify it as a romance.  It's not my favorite of her books though I was happy to have read it and will read on in the series.

If you don't object to a futuristic mystery and some murder, I'd recommend Naked in Death by Nora Robert writing as J.D. Robb.

Amongst her contemporary novels (no fantasy element), I'd suggest:

Blue Smoke

Public Secrets

The Witness

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Those of you on a book buying ban (nice alliteration), look away!

A one day only currently free Kindle book ~

R. Holmes & Co. by John Kendrick Bangs

"Raffles Holmes possesses all of the detection skills of his father, Sherlock—with none of the responsibility

Raffles Holmes comes from impressive stock, with both larceny and detection in his blood in equal measure. He’s the son of the legendary detective Sherlock Holmes, and the grandson of gentleman criminal A. J. Raffles. No wonder he’s so conflicted between the desire to solve crimes and the urge to make sure the rich get their deserved comeuppance. Yet there is one ambition that is consistent in both sides of Holmes: making money. What’s the easiest way for him to make that cash? Selling the stories of his exploits, of course. And what tales they are! Holmes is as smooth an operator as his grandfather, and he finds himself the culprit of cases nearly as often as he is the detective. Whether burglarizing for the greater good, fighting a desire to steal priceless jewelry, or playing the part of a bandit in order to save someone, Holmes is a rakish hero worthy of his name."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

In my quest to discover every indie bookstore within driving distance, I discovered that I live rather near the bookstore that is "owned and operated by Bruce Wilder, the husband of New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts." Apparently, she does signings on a regular basis. I'm not sure if I want to go to a signing or just visit the store. But I have never read any of her books, and I at least want to read one before I go! I have been through the town before on my way to somewhere else - it is tiny!

Kareni? Robin? Anyone?

mumto2, was it you that was reading Year One

Turn the Page Bookstore

Wow, you are so fortunate and she always hosts great authors at her book signings. I would recommend for fantasy starting with either her Garden Trilogy - Blue Dahlia or Key Trilogy with Key of Light. Even more supernatural fun try Sign of Seven series with Blood Brothers.

• Like 8

In my quest to discover every indie bookstore within driving distance, I discovered that I live rather near the bookstore that is "owned and operated by Bruce Wilder, the husband of New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts." Apparently, she does signings on a regular basis. I'm not sure if I want to go to a signing or just visit the store. But I have never read any of her books, and I at least want to read one before I go! I have been through the town before on my way to somewhere else - it is tiny!

Kareni? Robin? Anyone?

Turn the Page Bookstore 

Fun! As others have said I read Year One recently and really enjoyed it. Personally I would describe it as dystopian with fantasy elements thrown in. A great popcorn read if you like dystopian. It isn’t typical Nora Roberts which is the main reason I’m not picking it for the autograph because I really did like it.

All three of us (Robin, Kareni, and I) have read a whole bunch of Nora Roberts over the years. :lol: For siggy’s I would probably be between any in Death or Key of Light.

• Like 7

Thanks for all the book sharing and reviews that happen on BaW.

I try to read this thread most weeks -  favourite one on the boards - and so decided to add my hoped for reading achievements for 2018 here also.   

Grin, as soon as I do something like this life seems to happen big time so I am going to keep things very simple.

The only goal I really have is to "read' more and then to hopefully achieve 52 books.

Knowing that everyone has varied reading tastes, here the titles I'm currently reading:

- I adore the beautiful language in a King James Bible so I'm reading Nehemiah out of a KJV Life Application Bible.

- Death in the Stocks ~ Georgette Heyer   (repeat listen. finished)

- The Zookeeper's Wife ~ Diane Ackerman (n/f  biography)  

- The Invisible Child ~ Katherine Paterson   (n/f.  education)

- In This Grave Hour ~ Jacquline Winspear (hist fict)

- Picture Miss Seeton.  Bk1 ~ Heron Carvic   (audio.  cosy mystery)

- The Richest Man in Babylon ~ George Clason     (n/f.  business culture)

- My Family and Other Animals ~ Gerald Durrell  (n/f.  personal memoir)

• Like 10

I try to read this thread most weeks -  favourite one on the boards - and so decided to add my hoped for reading achievements for 2018 here also.   

Grin, as soon as I do something like this life seems to happen big time so I am going to keep things very simple.

The only goal I really have is to "read' more and then to hopefully achieve 52 books.

Knowing that everyone has varied reading tastes, here the titles I'm currently reading:

- I adore the beautiful language in a King James Bible so I'm reading Nehemiah out of a KJV Life Application Bible.

I have The Richest Man in Babylon on my TBR list. I'll get to it one of these days.

• Like 8

Wow, you are so fortunate and she always hosts great authors at her book signings. I would recommend for fantasy starting with either her Garden Trilogy - Blue Dahlia or Key Trilogy with Key of Light. Even more supernatural fun try Sign of Seven series with Blood Brothers.

I haven't read any recent Nora Roberts but I do remember reading the Garden Trilogy. That's a great recommendation :)

• Like 7

Kareni? Robin? Anyone?

Turn the Page Bookstore 

If I remember correctly, there's a pizza place that her son (?) owns/operates across the street from the bookstore.

• Like 7

I posted for awhile last year, then stopped. Like many others, I'm giving it another shot this year. I'm not setting any goals for myself. I read daily for pleasure, primarily mysteries, and it doesn't matter to me how many books I complete; just that I enjoy the journey. I may participate in the British mystery challenge.

This week I finished Lisa Scottoline's Corrupted, which is third in the Rosato and DiNunzio series. I haven't read many of hers before and have not read the previous series featuring characters from this same all-female law firm. I'm finding the books entertaining but somewhat less meaty than those of my favorite authors. I'm always looking for a new series, so I'll keep giving this one a try.

I started The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter. I'm only a couple of chapters in, but I'm hooked. I've read some but not all of her other books, and I'm thinking I should go back and read those that I've missed. Her books have not always engaged me, but since I'm liking this one, I think if I give her Will Trent series another chance, I might be glad. Slaughter, by the way, is a great name for a mystery author!

Also this week, I was so sad about Sue Grafton's death. I'm sorry not only that she is gone, but that her fans won't ever see what she had planned for Kinsey in Z.

• Like 11

I am FIRST on my overdrive's hold list for the new Flavia. I can't quite believe it!!! I put in a purchase request as soon as the system would allow me to but it never works this well. :lol: Can not wait!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33596091-the-grave-s-a-fine-and-private-place

Release dated appears to be January 30.

• Like 10

I have The Richest Man in Babylon on my TBR list. I'll get to it one of these days.

I have read that. My tiny, insignificant bit of advice: don’t read it the way the author advises. Just read it like a normal person.

ETA: oh! Nevermind! I was thinking of The Greatest Salesman in the World. That is the one to not read the way the author advises.

Edited by Quill
  • Like 8

I stopped by the library today to get some audiobooks for my car trip. This is what I left with:

Haruki Murakami - The Strange Library

Haruki Murakami - Wind/Pinball

Robert Heinlein - Farmer in the Sky (audiobook)

Madeleine L'Engle - A Wrinkle in Time (audiobook)

George Orwell - 1984 (audiobook)

I also registered for a Book Bundle drawing and asked about how to check out Overdrive books.

Entering the drawing was simple. You simply had to write down your favorite book read during 2017. I wrote down The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs.

• Like 9

Thank you for the Nora Roberts insights! I have made note of all of your suggestions, and will make use of them. I read some articles about/ interviews with her and she seems like a nice person.

I may not get there ‘til spring, but of course I will give you a report afterward.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 9

Hi all.  I am back.  Somehow last year with bad brain fog I ended up not noting down what I read so I have no idea how many books- all I know is that I read a lot- books, newspapers, magazines, etc.  My last book of 2017 was Babylon's Ashes by the pseudonym James S. A. Corey which is the Expanse book 6.  My first book of 2018 is Spy Sites in Washington DC which I am enjoying a lot.  I gave that book to the whole family since we all lived in the area for a while (and I grew up there).  I will read that one slower though than my two library books I got today.  The one I am reading first is Witches Tree by M C Beaton.  It is on hold but they gave it to me anyway because the computer sort of let me check it out and it was on the regular shelf.  But I want to get it back to the person who ordered it. 

Don't know if I will do Bingo or get to 52 books.  I just plan to read when I am able and hopefully, participate more.

As to Qiu Xiaolong. I got two of his books on Kindle last year from my son and when he was perplexed as to what to get me for Christmas, I said I would like more of his books so I now have two more.  I also have too many books already both in my house and on my kindle so I will try to mostly read the books I already have.

Glad to hear you are feeling better!  Xiaolong's novels are quite fascinating

I'm shooting for 52 books in 2018, considerably more than last year although I didn't keep an exact count. I am in complete awe of anyone attempting 100+ books. My husband just told me his friend read 350 books last year--but that's pretty much all that guy does!

Nonfiction was the bulk of my reading in 2017, so I'd like to even out the genres with more poetry and fiction.

Am I the only person on this thread who wants to buy MORE books this year? I went through a massive decluttering of books a few years ago, both due to space limitations and allergies and asthma, and have relied mostly on the library since then. But I miss the process of writing in books that become keepsakes and my family's health has improved, so I'm expanding the bookshelves and giving myself permission once again.

Welcome Amy!  I always do a last minute buy of books before the year starts so that I'm so saturated with new reads, the desire to buy is satisfied. At least for a couple weeks.  :laugh:

I just borrowed a bunch of books by different Russian poets that were free for Prime subscribers. Last year I finally read Pushkin. I had a really hard time finding him in English translation. Pushkin is widely known as the greatest Russian writer, but I think his work must be somewhat untranslatable. I liked it, but greatest? I don't know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Discovered some Pushkin's Poems translated online  and here as well!

I want to join in again this year. I disappeared last year part way through but I really enjoyed this thread while I was checking in regularly. I think I got around 26 books. Reading time really dropped off after baby #5 was born (imagine that..) Just in the last two months I've picked back up again. I'm only slightly embarrassed to admit I'm plowing through the Sookie Stackhouse series (in French translation). Book 8 currently so I'll finish them this month or next.

I read the first book of 1Q84 last year inspired by this group and I'd like to read the next two books this year. I have them waiting on my night stand actually.

I do love the idea of reading poetry books. That's something I've been thinking about lately actually. I don't really know which books to buy though (not a library person). Suggestions welcome.

Ok now I'm going to go back and catch up on all the activity so far! This thread really flies in January..

Welcome back! I totally enjoyed Sookie Stackhouse.  And 1Q84 was my first Murakami which turned out to be a great introduction to his style.  I'm looking up books  on poetry and will share what I find. 

I haven't.  Actually I have only read one other book by Ted Dekker - Blink.  I really liked it back when I read it, but it was years ago.  

I finished Outlaw today, and it was very different.  I don't know if Blink was different for Ted Dekker, or if this is different, but I liked Blink better, at least from what I remember. Outlaw was just a little odd.  It was a quick, easy read, though.  And it hasn't made me not want to try other stuff by him.  It was just unexpected, and there is a second part to it that feels a little spacey and broken from the first part (though the second part is a fraction of the size of the first, as well as a fraction of the story line), and it just goes weird to me.  

Anyway.  That's me.   :p  lol

I picked up The Residence (the White House one - sorry that I can't remember the full title atm!), The Crucible, and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child today at the library!  I started The Residence this evening and I'm already kind of hooked.  

I haven't read outlaw.  The first book of his I read was Thr3e which was scary good.  On the same par with Frank Peretti whose House was even more scary good!  I don't recall much about Blink as it's been quite a while since I read it.  

I found a (Dutch) Great War Poetry book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20743107-de-100-beste-gedichten-van-de-eerste-wereldoorlog

As 2018 is the last year of 100 year anniversary Great war it may be neat to read more.

Robin this is what I read last year:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36297774-van-heer-halewijn-tot-hugo-claus?from_search=true

But it doesn’t seem translated...

Thank you!  I'll see what I can find.  This website had some resources to look at 

I think 1Q84 is my favorite Murakami so far. I am planning to start my Wind/ Pinball Murakami series Before the start of next week. I think I am going to have to read a couple of lighter books after finishing my current Man in the Empty Suit before tackling Murikami. Strange dreams last night that were definitely from that rather odd book( Empty Suit). Time travel with multiple main characters......as in the same character multiple times. All the multiple hims meet each year in a dystopian New York for a party. My dreams concentrated on the fact that you aren’t supposed to meet yourself when time traveling. Obviously it’s weighing heavily on my brain! : lol: Close to done so will start my Mary Balogh before bed after finishing Empty Suit. I suspect it will take me awhile to know what I think of Empty Suit!

Oh my! 

I am going to join in this year.  The Blossom Bookology and England Mystery Road Trip have certainly piqued my interest.  I will do some of the Armchair travels as well.  I have always wanted to read around the world, but have never gotten around to it.  I am generally a reading challenge drop out, so we will see.  I am currently reading "Scones of Death" , a free Nook book.

Welcome and glad you are joining in!

• Like 10

I used to participate on the thread for the first few weeks of the year and then drop off.  So I vow to pick up again.

I am currently reading The Aviator's Wife, by Melanie Benjamin.  It is historical fiction about Anne Morrow Lindbergh.  I am really enjoying it.  

My goals this year are (1) to read less short stories (I padded my numbers last year with short stories....) and (2) to try and make a dent in my remaining 40 or so Easton Press Hundred Greatest Books ever written.  I think I read 3 or 4 last year, I'd really like to do at least one a month in 2018.  

Welcome back!  Lots of good books on the Easton Press list.  The Aviator's Wife sounds great! 

I finished 2017 with 173 books (plus 20 short stories/kids books).  That's a total of 46,035 pages.  As always I set my goal for this year at 52.  When I hit that, I'll revise to 104.  And then add as needed.

My husband asked me to make note of how many books are in my to read file (as of 12/31/17).  523.  On 1/1/12 I had 250 books in my to read file.  On 1/1/16, I had just over 400 books.  So in spite of reading a ton of books, I clearly "buy" (most are free) them faster than I read them.

Awesome!   My books keep having babies as well.   :laugh:

Welcome and always makes my day to hear this thread is a favorite.  Read more is always a great goal to have.   :thumbup1:   I'll have to check out Heron Carvic.

I posted for awhile last year, then stopped. Like many others, I'm giving it another shot this year. I'm not setting any goals for myself. I read daily for pleasure, primarily mysteries, and it doesn't matter to me how many books I complete; just that I enjoy the journey. I may participate in the British mystery challenge.

This week I finished Lisa Scottoline's Corrupted, which is third in the Rosato and DiNunzio series. I haven't read many of hers before and have not read the previous series featuring characters from this same all-female law firm. I'm finding the books entertaining but somewhat less meaty than those of my favorite authors. I'm always looking for a new series, so I'll keep giving this one a try.

I started The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter. I'm only a couple of chapters in, but I'm hooked. I've read some but not all of her other books, and I'm thinking I should go back and read those that I've missed. Her books have not always engaged me, but since I'm liking this one, I think if I give her Will Trent series another chance, I might be glad. Slaughter, by the way, is a great name for a mystery author!

Also this week, I was so sad about Sue Grafton's death. I'm sorry not only that she is gone, but that her fans won't ever see what she had planned for Kinsey in Z.

Welcome!  Grafton is a great loss to the mystery community. She will be missed.  Do you follow Scottoline on facebook. She has a wonderful sense of humor.

• Like 6

I haven't read any recent Nora Roberts but I do remember reading the Garden Trilogy. That's a great recommendation :)

It's a favorite of mine as I've read the trilogy at least three times.  I have a tendency to reread all her stories. 

• Like 8

Welcome back!  Lots of good books on the Easton Press list.  The Aviator's Wife sounds great! 

Awesome!   My books keep having babies as well.   :laugh:

Welcome and always makes my day to hear this thread is a favorite.  Read more is always a great goal to have.   :thumbup1:   I'll have to check out Heron Carvic.

Welcome!  Grafton is a great loss to the mystery community. She will be missed.  Do you follow Scottoline on facebook. She has a wonderful sense of humor.

No, I'm not on FB. But I can see from her writing style that she could be witty. If I ever join, I'll check out her page. Thanks!

• Like 8

I am new to the Book a Week this year.  My goal is 52 books this year, a mix of mostly kindle and audio books as I have a terrible time returning physical books to the library and audio books are great for when I am driving and/or working around the house.  Last year I think I purchased one $1.99 kindle book, otherwise they have all been free kindle downloads or through Overdrive/Hoopla.  

The first book I finished was a Kindle download https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31184292-apauk-caller-of-buffalo.  I would say 4 stars.  It was interesting and a good read.  I have Native heritage so find these accounts of Native life very interesting.  We have also visited several of the places mentioned in the book and a buffalo jump.

My second book of the year was an audio book  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2153405.Still_Alice?ac=1&from_search=true  Still Alice is the story of a 50 year old professor with early onset Alzheimer.  I found it very real to life from my experiences working with Alzheimer patients.  Another solid 4 stars.

• Like 13

Happy New Year!

So, as I reported last week, I finished 157 books in 2017. It's less about the number and more about the experience, though, and this year was enhanced by my participation in the "Shakespeare in a Year" project, Robin's War and Peace read-along, and a slew of terrific non-fiction. In short, 2017 is a tough act to follow.

While mulling over my reading goals for this year, I stumbled upon a post in which a virtual friend mentioned that turning sixty has made her keenly aware of how finite her reading life is; she chooses books even more carefully now. Her wise insight now informs my own reading choices. I also came up with a short list of reading resolutions for 2018:

1. Read from the shelves.
  2. Complete a close reading of Moby Dick. (Yes, I have already read it. More than once. It's worth it.)
  3. Reread at least one Vonnegut novel. (I appreciated rereads these past two years but wonder how much of his oeuvre "holds up.")
  4. Finish reading several books abandoned in 2017, including Six Four (Hideo Yokoyama), Will in the World (Stephen Greenblatt), and Providence of a Sparrow (Chris Chester). (Yeah, I have been a shamelessly promiscuous reader in the past, but these are good books that didn't deserve to be abandoned.)
  5. Read thirty non-fiction titles. (Twenty-six has been my goal in the past. I beat it in 2017, so I've raised the bar.)

My first book of the year was Never Let Me Go (Kazuo Ishiguro), a family book club selection and a reread for me. Tonight I will finish An Enemy of the People (Henrik Ibsen) -- a selection made in anticipation of seeing Traitor (based on this play) later this winter break and An Enemy of the People over spring break. Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End is up next (another family book club selection).

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 14

I just finished an intriguing book -- a collection of five novellas.  What is interesting is that the authors are listed on the cover of the book but the novellas inside are anonymous.

Here's the description ~ 

Sight Unseen: A Collection of Five Anonymous Novellas  by Sherry Thomas, Meredith Duran, Emma Barry, Erin Satie, and J.A. Rock

"Five top voices in romance dare you to explore the distant corners of their imaginations as they test the limits of storytelling and break the boundaries of what they thought possible. But there’s a twist—the author of each story is a secret. They’re each plumbing the depths of the human heart in ways they’ve never attempted. Taking you high, bringing you low, until you will be hardpressed to guess who wrote what. Can you tell? Want us to?

Too bad our lips are sealed...for now.
Lost That Feeling: Alma knew who she was, once—that is, before she erased her memory with a spell. Some, like the guards at the prison in which she’s held, say that she was a thief, a murderer.

Others say she was a hero. Like Driss, the man who rescues her. He claims to be a friend. He's certainly handsome. And charming. In a word: perfect.

That's the problem. If he's perfect and she's a hero, how did she end up in prison with a seven-year hole in her memory to begin with?
A Clear View of You: As a child, Kate had one dream: to escape her mother’s deluded hippie commune and live in the real world, where mature adults know that magic isn’t real. But the real world also has its downsides—like rent, student loans, and a cutthroat job market.

Happily, Kate is uniquely qualified for one in-demand position: psychic. Of course, she’s as fake as the rest of them but nobody plays a fortune-teller as convincingly as a girl raised by a would-be witch. If only Kate’s newest client weren’t so perceptive...and attractive. If only crystal balls didn’t have the habit of lighting up in his presence.

Magic isn’t real, right? Kate is about to find out otherwise...
Free: Brad White would be an ordinary accountant with an unrequited crush except for two things: he works for a criminal motorcycle club and he’s in love with the club president’s daughter. When she discovers the truth about the family business, Brad has to move beyond ordinary and put his life on the line to keep her safe.

Wren Masters, unlike everyone else in her graduating class, chose to stay in Montana because she loves it. But when she finds out her father’s club is running drugs, her family and world crumble. She and Brad risk everything to uncover the truth...and begin a scorching affair.

As the conspiracy—and their feelings—deepen, Brad and Wren must choose between family and justice. And neither seems to include a future for them.
Chariot of Desire: CJ Crespo, drummer for the once wildly popular rock band Donjon, has always had a thing for frontman Donny Times. They spent the seventies getting high together, making music together, self-destructing together. But her qualms about ruining a creative partnership with sex kept them from ever hooking up. Now, Donny’s conversion to a bizarre fringe religion that won’t allow him to engage in—or even sing about—sex, drugs, or other “sins†threatens to tear Donjon apart.

As the band struggles to embrace a new decade and a new Donny, CJ must decide where she belongs: by Donny’s side even if he can’t ever love her? Or making her own music away from a man who gives and takes in equal measures?
The Heart is a Universe: On the remote planet of Pax Cara lies the greatest secret of the universe. Every generation, the inhabitants must offer up an exceptional young person—the Chosen One—who sacrifices his or her life for the sake of that secret and the planet itself.

However, Vitalis, the current Chosen One, is desperate to free herself from the yoke of destiny. An unexpected invitation to an aristocratic summit seems to be the perfect opportunity for escape. But as soon as she arrives, the most eligible prince in existence proposes marriage.

Sparks fly but Vitalis is wary. Eleian of Terra Illustrata can have anyone he wants. Why has he set his sight on Vitalis who will die within days? Is he hiding an ulterior motive, one that could put everything in jeopardy—her plans, her life, and her heart?"

Me again ~ of the five authors, I've read books by the first three.  I've liked books by the first and third but had mixed feelings about books by Duran.

So, my take on the stories ~ I read half but did not finish the first, I enjoyed the second, the third I found pleasant, the fourth was interesting, and I found the fifth to be quite enjoyable.

I cannot begin to match author to work, but I'll be researching now who wrote which novella.  The results were unveiled after three months.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

BaW is a great thread! (Thank you)

Heron Carvic was a random find while searching audible for more books read by Phyllida Nash.

Miss Seeton is unlike any amateur sleuth I've encountered so far .... and so 'golden era'  British  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 9

Two more currently free Kindle books ~

Poison in Paddington (A Cozy Mystery) (Cassie Coburn Mysteries Book 1)  by Samantha Silver

If the Earl Only Knew (The Daring Marriages Book 1) by Amanda Forester

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks Kareni!

The free kindle books are not always available for purchase, from my location, but the cosy mystery was today.

• Like 9

I'm going to join up this year and do my best to read 52 books. Can't guarantee it will be exactly 1 book each week, but on average I'll shoot for 52 in the year. ;)

I've already got a couple ideas of books to get hold of simply from reading other posters' lists. I need some ideas for new titles as I tend to re-read my favourites and cycle through the same books year after year. I'm sure I'll continue to do this, but I'd love to slip in a bunch of new books along the way. 

I do have to say that I'm a little scared of discovering too many good books, as I tend to get obsessive about something new and exciting. I can't put the book down and everything in the house gets forgotten.  :p

• Like 11

If you have a Kindle you may want to check out your library’s Overdrive borrowing. No fines because the books just disappear. I think one of our members was able to sign up for a huge Overdrive library in your state for free as a resident. Huge. :)

Does anyone know if this is possible on the iPad?  I can access some of Overdrive through our local library, but unfortunately, the availability isn't great (similar to our actual library lol).  

I literally sit here with another window open, opening a new tab for every book I see listed.   :lol:  Then after I'm done reading through, I go through the tabs to see what I'm interested in and check the online card catalog at the library to see what they have. 

I may be slightly obsessive about it lol.  Oh, well.   :p

Tonight, for a break from The Residence (which is very interesting), I started HP/Cursed Child.  I know a lot of die hard fans don't like it, so I'm really wondering what I'll think in the end!  It's a fast read, though, so I should finish it pretty quickly!

ETA:  I guess I never did mention that I'm trying the Blossom Bookology this month.  Why I decided to try this during the month for CHRYSANTHEMUM is beyond me lol.  :lol:  But yeah, here I am.  I got C, H, and R at the library yesterday.  So much for 'taking it easy' on the challenges :rolleyes:  :lol:

Edited by PeacefulChaos
  • Like 12

I'll be heading to Pennsylvania tomorrow to spend time with my mother plus my sister and her family. 

My mother moved a year ago into an assisted living facility. She is suffering from dementia and has become quite frail over the past few years. Her vision is very poor and she falls from time to time.  When she fell this summer, she broke her hip.  This morning she fell again, but fortunately she did not break a bone. I will be flying to Pennsylvania tomorrow to visit for about twelve days. 

When I arrive the day's temperature is predicted to range from 3 to 15 degrees F.  Brr.

Happy reading!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I'll be heading to Pennsylvania tomorrow to spend time with my mother plus my sister and her family.

My mother moved a year ago into an assisted living facility. She is suffering from dementia and has become quite frail over the past few years. Her vision is very poor and she falls from time to time. When she fell this summer, she broke her hip. This morning she fell again, but fortunately she did not break a bone. I will be flying to Pennsylvania tomorrow to visit for about twelve days.

When I arrive the day's temperature is predicted to range from 3 to 15 degrees F. Brr.

Happy reading!

Regards,

Kareni

Thank goodness she didn’t break her hip again.

Safe travels, Karen. Good thoughts, prayers and wishes for you and your family.

• Like 7

My mother moved a year ago into an assisted living facility. She is suffering from dementia and has become quite frail over the past few years. Her vision is very poor and she falls from time to time. When she fell this summer, she broke her hip. This morning she fell again, but fortunately she did not break a bone. I will be flying to Pennsylvania tomorrow to visit for about twelve days.

When I arrive the day's temperature is predicted to range from 3 to 15 degrees F. Brr.

Happy reading!

Regards,

Kareni

Safe travels and enjoy your visit. I'm so glad she didn't break another bone. :grouphug: Edited by mumto2
  • Like 7

Great find Robin, but I don’t know these names :)

(= I am not familiar with modern poets)

These are more ‘classics’:

http://www.letterenfonds.nl/download.php?file=Dutch-Classics-2012-poetry.pdf

This is a famous one:

https://allpoetry.com/The-Mother-The-Woman

Keep this picture in your head while you read it:

http://www.ronaldvandenboogaard.nl/images/stories/fruit/zaltnegen.jpg

(just in case you live in very different environment)

• Like 8

Does anyone know if this is possible on the iPad?  I can access some of Overdrive through our local library, but unfortunately, the availability isn't great (similar to our actual library lol).  

I literally sit here with another window open, opening a new tab for every book I see listed.   :lol:  Then after I'm done reading through, I go through the tabs to see what I'm interested in and check the online card catalog at the library to see what they have. 

I may be slightly obsessive about it lol.  Oh, well.   :p

Tonight, for a break from The Residence (which is very interesting), I started HP/Cursed Child.  I know a lot of die hard fans don't like it, so I'm really wondering what I'll think in the end!  It's a fast read, though, so I should finish it pretty quickly!

ETA:  I guess I never did mention that I'm trying the Blossom Bookology this month.  Why I decided to try this during the month for CHRYSANTHEMUM is beyond me lol.  :lol:  But yeah, here I am.  I got C, H, and R at the library yesterday.  So much for 'taking it easy' on the challenges :rolleyes:  :lol:

I am a very new iPad owner so have not mastered much. Dh put the Kindle app on my iPad when setting it up for me and it works with my Overdrive just fine in terms of the books downloading and returning themselves. I haven't actually checked anything out directly to the iPad yet. My fire is all set up and I have been too lazy to move this function over. ;)

I always read this thread with tabs open! I was not too thrilled with Cursed Child while reading it but its grown on me. I like having a look on the story continued and am content with it. The many teens in my life who grew up on HP have opinions that are great fun to listen to!

For the Blossom Bookology remember if you haven't finished by the end of the month it's fine to just keep working on your flower. Chrysanthemum is possibly the longest one I have tried to spell and I suspect I will run into February. The good news is the flower for February is Rose. So short!

BaW is a great thread! (Thank you)

Heron Carvic was a random find while searching audible for more books read by Phyllida Nash.

Miss Seeton is unlike any amateur sleuth I've encountered so far .... and so 'golden era'  British  :tongue_smilie:

I love Miss Seeton!

So, I cannot remember where the setting for the Miss Sexton series is and actually have it on my list to figure out before Brit Tripping officially starts.......

For those who think they might want to join us on the Great Mysterious England Road trip I want to share one tip early, keep track of your locations on books you read this month. They may be helpful later and it will be fine to count them as part of your totals. I forget where books are set if it isn't terribly obvious so I am keeping track now! Just something so you can assign a county to the book later, the town or village etc. I am using the note function in Goodreads at the bottom of the review page and it is working for this....I tested it last year. ;)

• Like 8

I just followed up The Poisonwood Bible with Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart. I'm depressing myself.

(I started 1Q84, and I really liked the style, but personally, I just can't stomach quite that much "adult content." So...I got far enough to guess how it's going to lean...about 50% according to the kindle...but, I just couldn't finish. Although, I could see why people like his style. The story drew me in.) 

I'm looking through the rest of your lists and adding to my TBR pile. Keep them coming! :)

Also, thanks, so much to the regulars for letting people pop in and out without feeling guilty about it. 

I think this is my favorite thread, too, Robin. :)

• Like 9

ETA:  I guess I never did mention that I'm trying the Blossom Bookology this month.  Why I decided to try this during the month for CHRYSANTHEMUM is beyond me lol.   :lol:  But yeah, here I am.  I got C, H, and R at the library yesterday.  So much for 'taking it easy' on the challenges :rolleyes:   :lol:

I'm in too but not doing so well yet. It might take me a few months to get Chrysanthemum! If we can count any word in the title of our book towards a letter then I might have C. (Robin - is that legit?)

Have fun! Dress warm and take lots of good books! :seeya:

Great find Robin, but I don’t know these names :)

(= I am not familiar with modern poets)

These are more ‘classics’:

http://www.letterenfonds.nl/download.php?file=Dutch-Classics-2012-poetry.pdf

This is a famous one:

https://allpoetry.com/The-Mother-The-Woman

Keep this picture in your head while you read it:

http://www.ronaldvandenboogaard.nl/images/stories/fruit/zaltnegen.jpg

(just in case you live in very different environment)

Now that is poetry that I like. I understand all the words he's using and can picture because of the link you added.

• Like 9

Finished: How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind: Dealing with Your House's Dirty Little Secrets by Dana K. White. I found this book from the discussion on the chat board on housekeeping tips. It's a modern Flylady or SHE. Her system is good and though I tend towards being tidy anyway there were some tips in there I found helpful to add to my daily routine. Four Stars.

• Like 11

Now that is poetry that I like. I understand all the words he's using and can picture because of the link you added.

I think that is the reason why it is so beloved.

We have several of these bridges in the Netherlands, so most people will picture this in their head.

When I read the 225 best known dutch poems last year, it was nice to notice, that some era’s had a lot of poems I liked, and other era’s where a struggle to read. So I would like to explore the era’s I liked a little bit more...

• Like 7

I think that is the reason why it is so beloved.

We have several of these bridges in the Netherlands, so most people will picture this in their head.

When I read the 225 best known dutch poems last year, it was nice to notice, that some era’s had a lot of poems I liked, and other era’s where a struggle to read. So I would like to explore the era’s I liked a little bit more...

Which were the eras you enjoyed the most?

• Like 5

Finished: How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind: Dealing with Your House's Dirty Little Secrets by Dana K. White. I found this book from the discussion on the chat board on housekeeping tips. It's a modern Flylady or SHE. Her system is good and though I tend towards being tidy anyway there were some tips in there I found helpful to add to my daily routine. Four Stars.

Regarding your earlier comment that I forgot to quote.....you have way more than a C! I am assuming you are getting a C from a different book. The How to Manage book has loads of possibilities........

You have a boatload of letters for Chrysanthemum there. I see H, M,Y, and S. I have only used one book per letter in the past and do not know if we have an official rule. At this point with a title that bountiful I normally put it on my list but don’t assign a letter. I keep reading my stack. Maybe make a list of what I have that works. Since I read so many series I also keep my wish lists up to date with the next in each series and look there first if more books are needed to finish spelling something.

Also don’t forget if you want to do the challenge but don’t want to spell Chrysanthemum you can find a cover with chrysanthemums or a title with the word.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

Thank you for the well wishes for my mother and me.  The weather is so fearsome now in the northeast that I'm wondering whether I'll get as far as Phoenix and then be stranded there.

I will likely have very limited internet access while I'm away, so you won't hear much from me for a while.

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

Thank you for the well wishes for my mother and me.  The weather is so fearsome now in the northeast that I'm wondering whether I'll get as far as Phoenix and then be stranded there.

I will likely have very limited internet access while I'm away, so you won't hear much from me for a while.

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell  

Regards,

Kareni

I hope your travels go well.  I am in PA and it is terrible here right now.  

Thanks for the notice of the free Kindle book!  We are supposed to be traveling next week and though I have a kindle-full of books, this seems to hit the spot for me right now.  

I finished my first book the year yesterday - A Christmas Party by Georgette Heyer - it was a fun, light little mystery.

Then I started War and Peace, after seeing a blog post somewhere about the number of chapters fitting almost perfectly into a year's worth of reading.  So I'm aiming for that, and of course will read more in a day if there's time and inclination.  Also started A Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett, and The Secret Life of Anna LeBlanc by Jennifer Kincheloe which seems like a fun bedtime read (when I can't read anything I have to pay close attention to). 

It seems I could read any of those while traveling but I have all in actual book edition, and like having something on kindle as well. It's easier to read at my in-laws on a device as I could conceivably be checking my email or bank account and not reading a novel while they chat about nothing.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 8

I just followed up The Poisonwood Bible with Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart. I'm depressing myself.

(I started 1Q84, and I really liked the style, but personally, I just can't stomach quite that much "adult content." So...I got far enough to guess how it's going to lean...about 50% according to the kindle...but, I just couldn't finish. Although, I could see why people like his style. The story drew me in.

I'm looking through the rest of your lists and adding to my TBR pile. Keep them coming! :)

Also, thanks, so much to the regulars for letting people pop in and out without feeling guilty about it. 

I think this is my favorite thread, too, Robin. :)

I wasn't a big fan of 1Q84 but really liked the style as well. I adored Norwegian Wood and highly recommend it. What I Talk About When I Talk About Running was an interesting look at his background and thoughts. I have Kafka on the Shore on request from the library and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 5

Finished my first book of 2018:

Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA, and More Tell us about Crime by Val McDermid. Well researched and informative but has the unfortunate side effect that now I'm paranoid and don't want to leave the house. Or let my people leave the house. :crying: Not recommended for the sensitive souls among us.

I'm in too but not doing so well yet. It might take me a few months to get Chrysanthemum! If we can count any word in the title of our book towards a letter then I might have C. (Robin - is that legit?)

You are already on your way to spelling chrysanthemum. It is one word per title of each book. Doesn’t have to be first word in the title. First book - crime. Second book. - Home. Don’t have to do letters consecutively and can be any word in the title except for a, an, the, or and. You can also mix it up and use the author first or last name as well for any of the letters.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

As we were putting on our jackets to head for the airport, I received a call that my flight had been cancelled.  Tomorrow, I try again.

This change has left me rather discombobulated, but I've been using this unexpected time to catch up on some long overdue emails.  (And perhaps a chapter or two of an old favorite book ....)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

As we were putting on our jackets to head for the airport, I received a call that my flight had been cancelled. Tomorrow, I try again.

This change has left me rather discombobulated, but I've been using this unexpected time to catch up on some long overdue emails. (And perhaps a chapter or two of an old favorite book ....)

Regards,

Kareni

I am so glad they rebooked you! I have been thinking of you and hoping you weren’t sitting in an airport.

• Like 6

I love Miss Seeton!

So, I cannot remember where the setting for the Miss Sexton series is and actually have it on my list to figure out before Brit Tripping officially starts.......

For those who think they might want to join us on the Great Mysterious England Road trip I want to share one tip early, keep track of your locations on books you read this month. They may be helpful later and it will be fine to count them as part of your totals. I forget where books are set if it isn't terribly obvious so I am keeping track now! Just something so you can assign a county to the book later, the town or village etc. I am using the note function in Goodreads at the bottom of the review page and it is working for this....I tested it last year. ;)

Kent village of "Plummergen".  She originally starts out in London.

• Like 5

I am FIRST on my overdrive's hold list for the new Flavia. I can't quite believe it!!! I put in a purchase request as soon as the system would allow me to but it never works this well. :lol: Can not wait!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33596091-the-grave-s-a-fine-and-private-place

Release dated appears to be January 30.

Can anyone compare this series to the Louise Penny mysteries? I’m longing for a series but cant seem to find one I like.

• Like 5