Menu

Progressive lenses in glasses?

MEmama

If you are prone to motion sickness (me), they might not work for you.  After I got them, I would get nauseated rocking in the rocking chair.  I went back to some old glasses.  I plan on getting two pairs next time, if that's possible, one for driving and watching tv and life, and one pair for reading.  (I don't think I would do well with bifocals either.)

• Like 1

I've had them for years. They take some getting used to but once you get the hang of it they work. You do have to consider progressive lenses when choosing glasses but if you buy from a reputable place they'll discuss that with you. If the lenses are too small because the frames are small there won't be room for the progression in the lenses.

• Like 3

They're an adjustment, and they're never 100%. That said, no regrets.

Be sure to tell them what your lifestyle is. I teach online and am on my computer a lot, but that was my biggest priority. 

I still have to sometimes take them off to thread a needle or do detailed work in quilting, but that's rare and everything else is great.

• Like 4

I wear progressives.  I have a complicated prescription, and sadly, I've found an issue with my newest pair.  (I don't think I've ever had a perfect pair of progressives.)  It's enough to make me think of bifocals.

before you take them, make sure you can see distance in the middle of the lens, and make sure you can comfortably read with the 'reader' section.

but again, I have a complicated prescription, and most people don't have issues.

• Like 1

My eye doctor strongly recommended them to me at my last appointment.  I decided to go with it and have been happy with them.  It took me about a day to get used to them, but now I love them most of the time.  I can actually see to do embroidery and watch TV at the same time.  I do wear an old pair of glasses, without the bifocal when I go hiking because they don't work well when I need to be looking down a lot to watch out for rocks and stuff on the trails, but otherwise I have had no problems.

• Like 1

I am very near sighted (over 600/20 or however it is written) and a few years back finally reached the stage where I was putting store-bought reading glasses on OVER my prescription specs in order to read. That is when I went to progressive lens. I have progressive tri-focals - the middle is for a couple feet away and the bottom for closer stuff. No lines on the lens. After a few days of feeling "whoa!" I was fine. Note - I also have bad astigmatism and one lens had to be remade a couple times until it was perfect and I had no "ghost" images. I use the local Walmart to get my glasses made (but see an eye doc elsewhere, as even Walmart admitted my eyes are "interesting" enough to be beyond their ability to treat. I get filaments growing on my cornea now - fun times but I digress). I do take my glasses off to thread needles or take a splinter out - to see something mere inches from my face I would need what - quad-focals? hahaha. I can see not just through the middle, but on either side of the middle, too. I have glasses with lens that are each two inches across, and almost one and a quarter inches tall. Doesn't sound all that large when I type it, but is as large as my face can take w/o me looking like a bug.Now hubby also has progressive bifocals, and he has a tiny sweet spot right in the middle. I do not know why some folks have a small spot for best vision, and I have a wider clear field of view.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

I've been wearing them for about six years.  The first pair was perfect--good up close and crystal clear distance.  But since that first pair the distance has been very slightly blurry.  They're good for close to medium range (like inside the house) though.

Generally speaking, I love them.  I love being able to read without having to think about putting on a pair of glasses.

• Like 1

I've worn them for years. It usually takes me a couple days to get used to a new pair. The first pair took me WEEKS to adjust, but I hear that is unusual. Guess I'm a slow learner. 

One thing about them- the sweet spot for reading is small and you have to turn your head when you read.  At first it feels weird but eventually you do it without thinking. 

Like the poster above mentioned, the frame choice is a little more limited because you need enough room for the lens. They're much better than they used to be and can be fit into smaller frames these days. 

• Like 1

I tried them for 6 weeks and couldn't get used to them. A different ophthalmologist later told me I wasn't a good candidate for them. I also have a complicated prescription (astigmatism and prism). I currently use bifocals and will likely go back to the Chemistrie glasses I used to use because I'm finding I need trifocals when I get a new pair of glasses. Chemisterie allows overlay of the different prescriptions instead of using bifocals or trifocals.

• Like 1

I do ok with them, but due to strong RX, it's hard to get them corrected for distance and close up. I choose distance and take them off for close up.

Hubby never could get progressives to work, so wears bi focals.

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 1

I've never worn anything but progressives. I went from not needing anything (or not realizing I did) to going in for the usual age related trouble with fine print and finding out that my distance vision wasn't up to par either. I can't imagine having anything other than progressives. It only took me a few hours to adjust to them.

• Like 1

I've worn trifocal progressives for years.  They have been great.  That said, I have learned a few things over the years.  

I tried to go cheap via Costco once.  The prescription was spot on, but the lab gets to choose materials and in my case, they decided that NO ONE's eyes could be that out of level so they did not produce the prescription as written, and so I went 6 months with headaches before I figured it out and went back to my 25-year optometrist and she found the error in the production.  The lab also gets to choose what material they use when you go cheap, and in my case, they used polycarbonate, which is the same thing they make airplane windows out of.  Ever see the ripples in an airplane window?  Yeah.  It has the same effect in glasses.  SO.  Here is what I have learned and why I am happy with my progressives:

1.  Pay.  Pay for good optical glass/plastic that can be warped *accurately* to reflect the progression in the lenses and to correct other matters like astigmatism.

2.  Have the optician/opt*.* measure for the distance YOU read at...not a standard distance.  Same for computer.  Sit at your computer before you go and measure the distance from your eyes to the screen when you are at a correct posture.  Otherwise the opt*.* will use standard distances...which may or may not be accurate.  

3.  Ask the optician to show you where the prescription will be in any part of the lens.  That will tell you how large or small a lens you can choose.  If it is too small, you have very small points of accuracy for any distance.  If the lens is too large, you can end up doing eye gymnastics to find the right location.

4.  Get the prescription, obviously, but also ask for a separate prescription for any particular single lens you might want.  I got a separate pair of single distance glasses for working at extended periods on my computer.  It is super helpful in reducing body strain because I don't have to find that ONE SPOT on the progressives that is JUST RIGHT and hold my neck in that exact position for a long time while I work on a project.  For this set, Costco did a great job on these lenses, and I was able to use a frame I already had.  They were just bad with the progressives.  I'm on the verge of getting a pair of single-vision sunglasses for driving and hiking, as well.  Again, much less expensive than the progressives.

I know that sounds like a lot of glasses, but I would say I wear my progressives with great success about 95% of the time.  It is only when I sit down to do a project at the computer that I swap out, and when I am driving, well, I would likely be swapping to sunglasses anyway.  

My dh is annoyed with me because he thinks I should just get the transition, progressive lenses and not have to have a separate pair of glasses.  The transition glasses work for him, but I tried them and hated them.  I call them Transgressive lenses.  :0)

Anyway, that is what I have learned.  All that said, I wish I could still wear contacts.  Those were the best.  Trifocals, at that!

I just got bifocals Monday. I opted out of progressives as the clear part for distance and close up would be smaller. The eye doctor showed me lenses of both types so I could see how they would work.

Yes, I have the old lady line in my glasses but they work and are much cheaper.

• Like 1

They're an adjustment, and they're never 100%. That said, no regrets.

Be sure to tell them what your lifestyle is. I teach online and am on my computer a lot, but that was my biggest priority. 

I still have to sometimes take them off to thread a needle or do detailed work in quilting, but that's rare and everything else is great.

Yes! My dh had to have a separate pair of glasses made just for mid-distance, computer work. (He's a programmer.) The progressives didn't work for him at work. They are great for reading and driving.  

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

I've worn them for years, and really like them. It took a few days to get used to the first ones, and usually takes a day or so to get used to a prescription change. One pair was not done quite correctly, so it was annoying because it was slightly off where I needed it to be for my sight (one out of four, I think). The biggest issue I have with them is the cost. They are worth it to me, but I really hate shelling that out.

• Like 1

I have had them for almost 2 years and hate them.  My eye Dr even said for watching movies at the theater, just wear my old glasses b/c the spot I need won't be in the right area leaning back in a chair.  Frustrating!  I also have a prism for double vision and the progressives either didn't do it or it's not in the right spot.  When driving I can't look at the time, radio, map b/c it's blurry/double.  I tend to take them off when reading b/c I can't get the right spot on them.  I'm eligible for new glasses come january and I hope to change up the progressives into something else.  

I like the idea of multiple glasses for different things.  I would rather change glasses than deal with the constant moving of my head or shifting glasses.  

My dh has progressives for most of the day, but does have specialized glasses just for computer time since he's a programmer.  

I found adjusting to them difficult, and I honestly don't like them 2 year later, so for me it's a big dud.  

• Like 1

I tried them for 6 weeks and couldn't get used to them. A different ophthalmologist later told me I wasn't a good candidate for them. I also have a complicated prescription (astigmatism and prism). I currently use bifocals and will likely go back to the Chemistrie glasses I used to use because I'm finding I need trifocals when I get a new pair of glasses. Chemisterie allows overlay of the different prescriptions instead of using bifocals or trifocals.

I also have astigmatism and prism in my progressives and am not happy with them.  Tell me more about Chemisterie.  Online shows a lot of sunglass clips, but you mentioned it in a way that makes me think you can do other things with it?  Like normal glasses and then a clip for reading?

• Like 1

I also have astigmatism and prism in my progressives and am not happy with them.  Tell me more about Chemisterie.  Online shows a lot of sunglass clips, but you mentioned it in a way that makes me think you can do other things with it?  Like normal glasses and then a clip for reading?

I was able to purchase a distance pair of glasses, then add a clip on to make it either mid or reading vision (I don't remember which. Quite possibly I didn't need both at the time.) It was very convenient, though I needed to make sure I had a way to carry the clip on case. At the time, I didn't know they also offered sunglasses clip on. If I had, I likely would've purchased the sunglasses clip on rather than a different pair of sunglasses. I've wondered if I could have clipped the reading frames on, then the sunglass frames. They all attached magnetically.

I purchased them through our ophthalmologist's office. I've asked at various places (Walmart, VisionWorks) since if they carry them, but they've never heard of them. Cost wise they were just a little more than my regular glasses, but worth it.

• Like 1