Menu

Just for fun, take a look at the mid-century modern house I saw today...

Halftime Hope

Sorry, I can't link, but if you type in 1625 S Davis Dr. Arlington TX, into Zillow, you'll find the house. 

It was designed and built by the founder of the University of Texas at Arlington's Architecture program, but I didn't think to ask when.  (ETA:  I found a listing that says 1958.)

In the lower left of the photo section on Zillow, you'll find a link to an actual video, not just a slideshow.  Some of the interior has been reworked (the kitchen cabinets, bathrooms, etc.) and all the surfaces have been repainted and repapered with as close as the owner could find to the original decor.  She had minisplits installed several years ago...I have no idea what (if anything) was there before, as the large glass windows are all original, and I didn't see any patched areas in the brick walls.

What a unique feel to the house; it will make a lovely home for someone.  The post oaks are gorgeous!

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 2

I would buy that in a heartbeat! Perfect and plenty of room to add a pool.

And now I really want that dining room table. Too bad it's not HGTV and they tell us where to get one just like it.

It's 14 feet long, and the top is made out of the "1800s barn beams", same as the kitchen island.  The legs were just made out of large bore piping, and I would think that would be fairly easy to replicate. 

OMG, the bookshelves at the roofline in the second bedroom...I've dreamed of bookshelves like those since I was newly married and a friend had them around the perimeter of her living areas in her vintage cottage in Coral Gables, FL. (Artsy area.)  When dh dies, I'm putting them up, even if I'm in an assisted living. (He doesn't care for the look. Bah, humbug.)

• Like 1

much too busy for the mid-century modern with which I am familiar. (I have a friend who is very into mid-century modern)  and the over stufffed reclining living room leather set - is very out of sync.   it's rather frustrating - as some things seem dead-on, and others just clash.

is it just me or does it look like the water on the fountain is running up and not down.  Like they are replaying the video backwards. The fountain just looks odd in the video.

I really like the walls in the bathrooms and the space for the huge kitchen table but not nearly enough bedrooms to go with the need for that much table space.

The acoustics in that house must be terrible. To me, it looks like it was built in a basement, I guess because of the tile floors and flat ceilings.

I'm in a house with big rooms and tile floors, but there is at least some separation between rooms.

I wondered about that, but the minisplits are super quiet, so it would just be people noise--in our case two very quiet people--until family descended on the space for holidays and such. 

From the looks of the place--all the chairs!--the owner probably did a lot of entertaining, or perhaps had student gatherings at her house a lot. (She's just a few blocks off campus.)

There are other mysteries about the house.  For example, where was the fridge, initially?

I can't see us buying it, but if I were to entertain that idea, I'd do some rearranging of the very center space in the house (hallways and half-bath, to move the fridge into the kitchen proper and to create a full second bath.)

is it just me or does it look like the water on the fountain is running up and not down.  Like they are replaying the video backwards. The fountain just looks odd in the video.

I really like the walls in the bathrooms and the space for the huge kitchen table but not nearly enough bedrooms to go with the need for that much table space.

Yep, it's a bit dis-proportionate for how most of us live now.  Clearly the architect had something different in mind, and it has worked (or maybe not) for the subsequent owners.

Edited by Halftime Hope

Ok. I hate it.

I think the outside is ugly.

The refrigerator in the pantry is not practical for anyone who really uses their kitchen. It is inefficient.

It is too open floor plan for me. Only quiet space is in your bedroom.

The guest house is nice to have. I wouldn't mind having a separate space for dh.

much too busy for the mid-century modern with which I am familiar. (I have a friend who is very into mid-century modern)  and the over stufffed reclining living room leather set - is very out of sync.   it's rather frustrating - as some things seem dead-on, and others just clash.

I should note that the property was not billed as a paragon of mid-century modern; I labeled it MCM for a convenient descriptor.  :-)

The current owner has had the place for two years, and in that time has refurbished and repaired a number of the major systems. Then she changed plans and is retiring overseas. (I don't know what changed her plans.) I'm guessing she fell in love with the place, but wasn't really into mid-century modern herself, and her furnishings were not completely in line with the original, so she has used what she had and picked up pieces along the way. 

That's OK.  If I were to buy the place, it would be enough of a mish-mash to me that I'd go with the "goulash" of whatever made me happy. My walnut, mid-century modern sideboard (out of place in my current house) would go beautifully between the living room and dining, further separating those two spaces, with a couch nestled again the back of it. But the tall Queen Anne walnut side table would also be very welcome in the space.  :-)  And the multi-colored rug pieces would be gone, as fun as they are.

It’s not really my style, especially the lack of energy efficiency and the flat roof, but it sure looks pretty and fun :)

You know, I wondered about that.  I counted 5 mini-splits.  The records show the highest electricity bill in the 2 years as $90 in a month.  That's pretty low for down here, and for a house that size. (By comparison, modern housing bills can be three times that for something roughly the same s.f.) The large glass windows are single pane, but it's very thick: not anything like modern glass, but not quite plate glass either.  And the sliding doors, oh my: they are pretty heavy, and if not original, very vintage.

Apparently they insulated under the roof treatment as well.

The trees don't hurt a bit, especially shading the western exposure.  Were it mine, I'd put roll down exterior sunshades on the eastern windows, or at the edge of the back porches.  We have them in my current house on the two-story LR windows (eastern exposure) and they are a life-saver; I don't know how the former owners lived without them.  (ETA:  then again, were it mine at the price she's asking, I wouldn't have $ left for roll-down shades.  LOL!)

Edited by Halftime Hope

I like it.  It's more open plan than what I prefer for myself, but that's my only real issue.  I don't mind the smaller # of bedrooms or baths, that's how I live now and in many ways it's my preference - I find a lot of modern homes don't fit in that respect.  

I also think it's a very good, usable, sympathetic interpretation of MCM.  Most people don't want to live in a museum, and actually most mid-century people, even those who preferred modernist design, didn't live in pure modernist homes.  It's not an easy way to live for most people.  (And really, the same is true in other times as well, many people had a mix of furnishings.

The only thing I'd say is the bathrooms are very of the moment, and while maybe they are sympathetic, I kind of hate them aesthetically speaking.  Whereas I normally really like authentic mid-century bathrooms.

The yard I like, and actually I find it inspiring to some extent.  My house is what is sometimes called mid-century modest - built in 1960 as post war housing, kind of a traditional shape but with modern elements like corner windows, and much simpler detailing than that one.  But many of the same concepts would look good, particularly on the exterior side - it tends not to look quite right with a very traditional approach.

• Like 1

It's much bigger and more complicated than I'd like, but it's an attractive house.

We likely will be moving in the next few years, and all of the houses I've looked at online that would work are around 1800 s.f. with three bedrooms on a small lot.

Thanks for sharing!

I like it.  It's more open plan than what I prefer for myself, but that's my only real issue.  I don't mind the smaller # of bedrooms or baths, that's how I live now and in many ways it's my preference - I find a lot of modern homes don't fit in that respect.  

I also think it's a very good, usable, sympathetic interpretation of MCM.  Most people don't want to live in a museum, and actually most mid-century people, even those who preferred modernist design, didn't live in pure modernist homes.  It's not an easy way to live for most people.  (And really, the same is true in other times as well, many people had a mix of furnishings.

The only thing I'd say is the bathrooms are very of the moment, and while maybe they are sympathetic, I kind of hate them aesthetically speaking.  Whereas I normally really like authentic mid-century bathrooms.

The yard I like, and actually I find it inspiring to some extent.  My house is what is sometimes called mid-century modest - built in 1960 as post war housing, kind of a traditional shape but with modern elements like corner windows, and much simpler detailing than that one.  But many of the same concepts would look good, particularly on the exterior side - it tends not to look quite right with a very traditional approach.

I really don't know much of anything about modernist living, but the bathrooms are what I liked the least. 

I think you'd have to have a really well thought out plan for a bathroom treatment that would both "feel right" and be livable for nowadays.  I don't like what's there, and without a designer who really put some thought into it, I'd probably make it worse! 

I really don't know much of anything about modernist living, but the bathrooms are what I liked the least. 

I think you'd have to have a really well thought out plan for a bathroom treatment that would both "feel right" and be livable for nowadays.  I don't like what's there, and without a designer who really put some thought into it, I'd probably make it worse! 

Sometimes I think I must be some kind of throwback - I fid older houses at least as livable as newer ones.  I don't generally want the extra stuff in a modern bath or kitchen - that glassed in shower looks like a ton of work and floor space to me.  The things I want are proper pantries with a sink and refrigerator.  I don't care about a microwave.  etc.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

Oh - I actually like refrigerators in the pantry. It means working differently, but it isn't particularly inefficient imo.

Me, too. With that open design for entertaining, it helps keep the kitchen looking sleek to guests. FWIW, my friend has a $$$$$ house, also with an open design firnwntertaining and her fridge is in what builders are calling the "kitchen behind the kitchen" which also houses extra counter space, large prep sink and second dishwasher.

MCMs have grown on me over the years because I live in the land of them. There’s something about that one that I’m not jiving with. I think the ceilings are too busy for me. And it feels like it gets less light than I’m used to in a MCM.

Here’s an example of an Eichler, which are all over the place here https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/316-Mount-Shasta-Dr-San-Rafael-CA-94903/19294625_zpid/

One thing that I’ve never loved is how a whole neighborhood of these look. They’re all very ugly to me from the front, especially Eichlers because they’re all just brown walls with a door. But the courtyards are gorgeous and worth it.

Not that I can afford one!

Edited by Sassenach
  • Like 2

For us, at our stage in life, the lack of BRs would be fine as long as we had the guest house/retreat out back and a murphy bed in the office, for when adult children and families come home. My family doesn't live in the BRs except to sleep; we tend to live in the common areas of our home.

Sassenach, that Eichler was gorgeous! 

I think the "lack of light" was because this is a tree covered lot, and the master bedroom actually has sun-filtering window treatment -- Texas, ya'll!  That and the wall-covering on the longest wall is dark wood!

I think you all are right, this house has become a mishmash of styles that have been layered in over the years within the MCM bones of the house. 

It has a couple of offers on it.  We'll see what happens to it.  I hope it is well-loved, no matter what style the new owners bring to it. 

MCMs have grown on me over the years because I live in the land of them. There’s something about that one that I’m not jiving with. I think the ceilings are too busy for me. And it feels like it gets less light than I’m used to in a MCM.

Here’s an example of an Eichler, which are all over the place here https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/316-Mount-Shasta-Dr-San-Rafael-CA-94903/19294625_zpid/

One thing that I’ve never loved is how a whole neighborhood of these look. They’re all very ugly to me from the front, especially Eichlers because they’re all just brown walls with a door. But the courtyards are gorgeous and worth it.

I think they can look ugly from outside as well.

There is an area near my IL's house with a lot of fairly high end MCM houses.  Here many don't have a completely flat roof because of snow though some still do - anyway, I find the neighbourhood actually looks better than many of the nearby ones.  The reason I think is that the area is all granite close to the surface, including outcrops.  The lots are uneven, with these rocky low shapes, and the houses are often tucked into them so they look very natural, especially if they are well-landscaped.

It's actually not my favourite period, but I think when it's well done it has some real appeal - I hate it when people rip out the guts and ty and make it something else.

ETA: I don't think I like that house as much as the other - though part of the problem for me is it looks so staged and sterile - I can't picture it with anyone living in it.   

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

We lived in a house that had that kind of ceiling and rafters. Air conditioning was crazy expensive because there was no insulation in a crawl space.

Mid-thread, I explained that they put insulation under the flat roofing (don't ask me exactly how or what, but probably sheet or roll foam of some kind), and they installed LG mini-splits, super efficient and gives you precise "zone control" of each space.  The highest summer electric bills for the last two years have been $90.  A similar run-of-the-mill conventional home runs about three times that much.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 1

I love this! But I think I have too much 'stuff'.  What I really like is the way indoor and outdoor spaces flow together.  I love open floor plans.   We've lived in this Victorian house for a couple of decades and I'm longing for a drastic change.