Menu

Hi, Seattle-area people (or, hey, Washington generally), can I come talk to you?

Susan Wise Bauer

I'll be in Seattle on January 30 to do an event at Town Hall Seattle for my new book. It's such a long way that I'd like to see if I can arrange something else around it. Do you know of any home school groups or meetings--or classical schools--that might be interested in a workshop or two?

Post or message me. It's been a while since I've been to Washington--I'm looking forward to it.

SWB

There are a LOT of homeschool co-ops here, but I've found many people only co-op here, nothing actually at home.  Which means they don't often know about curriculum much less how awesome you are!

sorry, I only know about the Eastside:

Themelios http://www.themelios.net/index.html  7-12th grade more co-op than classical school, but the idea was classical...   Renton area

CCMS at Covenant Presbyterian  6-8th grades.  Classical based. These kids are amazing in what they memorize every year... Issaquah area

https://www.pccs.org classical school Bothell area now

I would love to hear you speak wherever you end up doing a workshop or two, do keep the group updated!

Edited by tess in the burbs

Sorry, I only know about the Eastside ..... 

To clarify, in Washington state, there's a difference between "the Eastside" and "the east side."  :D   The Eastside to which Tess is referring  is 10-15 mins. east of Seattle (but still western Washington).  I live on the east side (which means east of the Cascade Mountains, where Spokane and some other larger towns are).  

I don't know if Spokane or towns on this side of the state have anything going on around that time, but I can snoop around.  I'm in Ellensburg which is right on I-90 two hours east of Seattle and 2.5 hours west of Spokane.  

Edited by milovany
  • Like 5

To clarify, in Washington state, there's a difference between "the Eastside" and "the east side."  :D   The Eastside to which Tess is referring  is 10-15 mins. east of Seattle (but still western Washington).  I live on the east side (which means east of the Cascade Mountains, where Spokane and some other larger towns are).  

I don't know if Spokane or towns on this side of the state have anything going on around that time, but I can snoop around.  I'm in Ellensburg which is right on I-90 two hours east of Seattle and 2.5 hours west of Spokane.  

True, True.  I should have clarified I'm just on the other side of the lake, not the mountains ;-)

True, True.  I should have clarified I'm just on the other side of the lake, not the mountains ;-)

Don't worry.  We're used to being ignored.  :D

We retaliate by calling everything on the west side "the coast."  Seattle, Vancouver, Enumclaw, Arlington, Bellingham, Ocean Shores?  All "the coast."  

Edited by milovany

I might poke around bookstore sites too to see whether a bookstore would host a "general home school" event. I'm not a huge co-op person myself so wasn't necessarily searching for co-ops--just groups generally.

Thanks for feedback, keep it coming!

I might poke around bookstore sites too to see whether a bookstore would host a "general home school" event. I'm not a huge co-op person myself so wasn't necessarily searching for co-ops--just groups generally.

Thanks for feedback, keep it coming!

there is a homeschool bookstore - homeschool potpourri. maybe 30 minutes from seattle. might be able to do some advertising with them as well.

there are a number of homeschool support groups.  I used to belong to a couple, but it's been awhile.

there is a homeschool bookstore - homeschool potpourri. maybe 30 minutes from seattle. might be able to do some advertising with them as well.

there are a number of homeschool support groups.  I used to belong to a couple, but it's been awhile.

I'd be happy to talk to the owner of HSPotpourri if that is of help. 

Arrow Preparatory Academy would be interested in a workshop or attending one- We are a new University Model Classical School in the Edmonds area.  (about 30 minutes North of Seattle).  

Please feel free to contact me at hsankey@arrowprep.org

Thanks,

Heidi Sankey

A friend of mine who has homeschooled her son in the past and is currently "afterschooling" writes a weekly parenting column for the Everett Herald. She is potentially interested in doing an interview while you are in Seattle.

I've followed that gal for years since I first found her blog mentioned on this site. That would be so cool!

Throwing in a plug for a quick day trip to Portland while you are in the area.

Powells Books does a number of author events, and Portland is crazy-full of homeschooling groups and SWB fans!

LOL...I was just going to suggest the same thing!

It is a couple of hours away by car, but all freeway.  Or just plan you flights with a layover :0) 

Edited by Tap

LOL...I was just going to suggest the same thing!

It is a couple of hours away by car, but all freeway. Or just plan you flights with a layover :0)

Three hours.

And two hours to find a parking spot. Lol.

Throwing in a plug for a quick day trip to Portland while you are in the area.

Powells Books does a number of author events, and Portland is crazy-full of homeschooling groups and SWB fans!

While I am a Washingtonian now, I am an Oregonian through and through. Powells is the best bookstore ever! The homeschool community must be huge there because when I am visiting family I always check craiglist for curriculum and you guys are rolling in amazing used curriculum. Our CL isn't even close to that good!

Three hours.

And two hours to find a parking spot. Lol.

lol....I have had pretty good luck parking in Powell's Parking lot.  it is a bit unnerving, because it is so low, but I figure that is why I am often able to get parking in there. LOL

We would love to come to an event! I can think of several ‘groups’ that are not co-ops, the WHO Washington Homeschool Organization is probably the biggest that covers the most area, they put on a yearly convention in Puyallup.

I've done WHO a couple of times! It's just been years since I was at a west coast event, so it's fun to plan this one.

Also I love the idea of folding Portland into the visit. I have never been to Portland. Korea and Iceland, yes, but not Portland. :) (Or the Bronx, come to that.)

SWB

If you do Portland, you'll need to drive the coast to see whales and hike the waterfalls on the Columbia River Gorge (opposite directions) and fly Mt. St. Helens... and then some kid will want to come with you because it will be such an uber cool trip... and then your fun will be spoiled. Or not. But you definitely want to do those things if you're there. :D

• Like 1

I've done WHO a couple of times! It's just been years since I was at a west coast event, so it's fun to plan this one.

I contacted WHO yesterday inquiring about eastern Washington possibilities and the gal got back to me.  If you want her contact e-mail, let me know.  

Edited by milovany

Homeschool Potpourri is definitely NOT a venue for a group meeting, though. It's absolutely packed with curricula and toys, kind of hoarder-like.

no - it's not a venue - but they can help get a message out to homeschoolers that's she's coming.