Menu

PSAT - almost nightmare

My junior is in the running for National Merit. He took the PSAT at a local school last year. In August, that same school emailed us saying they were registering homeschoolers and other students that didn't go there. We filled out the registration form and paid the fee. TODAY they emailed me saying they had cancelled his registration and are returning our money.  ... it's already past the deadline for schools to order tests. They say it's too risky to have homeschoolers in the school.

No, HSLDA can't do anything except complain since it's not against the law.

I think got lucky. I emailed a bunch of schools tonight and already have several no's, but one said yes. I "think" it is set for him, but someone is supposed to contact me tomorrow and we are to go pre-register on Thursday. 

It is ridiculous how difficult it is to secure a PSAT site. Our local option will only agree to put homeschoolers on the waiting list and let us know a week before the PSAT whether or not they have an opening. Luckily, the years we've needed a PSAT test available, they've had one - but the STRESS it causes!

Canceling on you after taking fees and agreeing to test is ludicrous. Risky... BAH! :cursing:

• Like 2

Since they have already kicked your kid out, I would work very hard to get a solid spot elsewhere.

Then I would raise a stink with the school principal, district superintendent, and school board. I would consider contacting your state legislator to point out how an entity with a near monopoly on a public accommodation is preventing an area student from testing and competing for college scholarships.

I get that there are space limitations and strict seating requirements. I also know states large and small have state laws that require high schools to include homeschooled students in testing.

• Like 2

I would also contact CB. I would inform them that after filling out the paperwork and paying that the school just revoked the testing privileges. CB needs to be informed. It places undue hardship on students in a legal educational option. It is ridiculous how hard it can be to find a testing site.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 5

I had a similar incident.  I had e-mailed a small charter school.  This guy got back to me on the phone twice and said they had 25 tests and 30 juniors and he was sure they had room.  He said he'd get back to me with final details.  It was like 2 weeks and I e-mailed back (I didn't have the contact phone number - no one regularly answers the main line and their is no answering machine).  Waited several MORE days.  I finally gave up.

I found a large urban public school that has enough requests that they open online registration to non-students on Sept 24.  I paid on line and have confirmation.  Wheew.

I am not sure about this kid and NM but he did great last year (I think possibly commended score or close), so he certainly should try in any case.

ETA - I REALLY wish the PSAT registration was more like the SAT or ACT.  It is so much easier and less stressful for homeschoolers.  In my case, I suspect more of the juniors wanted to test than they thought, and the guy I spoke sounded inexperienced.  I think knowing how many tests to order can be hard and they do it well before they accept registrations which is dumb.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

My junior is in the running for National Merit. He took the PSAT at a local school last year. In August, that same school emailed us saying they were registering homeschoolers and other students that didn't go there. We filled out the registration form and paid the fee. TODAY they emailed me saying they had cancelled his registration and are returning our money.  ... it's already past the deadline for schools to order tests. They say it's too risky to have homeschoolers in the school.

No, HSLDA can't do anything except complain since it's not against the law.

I think got lucky. I emailed a bunch of schools tonight and already have several no's, but one said yes. I "think" it is set for him, but someone is supposed to contact me tomorrow and we are to go pre-register on Thursday. 

Contact National Merit. That happened here a few years ago and National Merit came down on the district and made them take home schoolers. Even though you have a place for your son to go, contact them anyway, for other home schoolers.

edited to add: contact College Board

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

My 7th grader is all primed, but we have been unable to find a test site. Anybody, by chance, know of a place anywhere in the greater Los Angeles, Inland Empire or Orange County area that will let him. thanks.

I would just have them do the ACT or SAT through a talent search.  My oldest started doing that in the 7th grade. 

• Like 1

I would just have them do the ACT or SAT through a talent search.  My oldest started doing that in the 7th grade. 

Looks like we will end doing the SAT before June 2018 for CTY-SET. Just wanted him to practice on a test with Alg 1, and geometry first. He just completed alg 2. We need to review alg 2 before the SAT/ACT. thanks

• Like 1

Looks like we will end doing the SAT before June 2018 for CTY-SET. Just wanted him to practice on a test with Alg 1, and geometry first. He just completed alg 2. We need to review alg 2 before the SAT/ACT. thanks

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, but want to clarify for you that the math for the PSAT and SAT is very similar. Regardless, you should be able to find full length practice tests for both formats online. I would have him practice the SAT though, if that is what he is doing for the talent search.

• Like 1

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, but want to clarify for you that the math for the PSAT and SAT is very similar. Regardless, you should be able to find full length practice tests for both formats online. I would have him practice the SAT though, if that is what he is doing for the talent search.

Thanks. I thought the SAT was laced with alg 2 and some trig.  We have until June 2018 if he still wants to try for CTY-SET. That is the reason for starting with the PSAT.  Also  reading comprehension needs a little more consistency.  We have practiced with the College Board, Princeton, and Barron material.  Some practice tests he misses only a few out of the verbal questions, others a lot. 

Hopefully everything works out smoothly on Thursday for the PSAT registration. Good luck to your child on the PSAT.

And I thought problems signing up for the PSAT was just where we lived! One school told me they had 20 spots (class size around 300)...they obviously don't believe many kids will do well.

My district signed all the 10th graders up automatically for PSAT, paying for them. 11th graders have to sign up and pay themselves but there will be seats for all the 11th graders in the two high schools to take as well. They say no outsiders would be allowed as priority is for their school kids. Each high school has close to two thousand students so about 800 students (10th and 11th grade) taking the PSAT.

We have until June 2018 if he still wants to try for CTY-SET. That is the reason for starting with the PSAT. Also reading comprehension needs a little more consistency. We have practiced with the College Board, Princeton, and Barron material. Some practice tests he misses only a few out of the verbal questions, others a lot.

Has your child taken the SAT once? Since scores aren’t automatically kept for under 13, taking the actual SAT is still better than any practice tests we did at home. DS11 missed the 700 points cutoff for SET the first time marginally, the second time he qualified comfortably with either ERW or math scores. DS12 met the cutoff the first time he took the SAT last June. Mail in registration for SAT is very easy to do.

Here private centers do administer the PSAT to their own students and others. They charge a higher rate for outsiders. Maybe look around at private academic centers near to you and see if they host the PSAT. My kids would probably try the PSAT in 10th grade to get a baseline figure as I don’t want them to have test fatigue.

Edited by Arcadia

I just learned about this workaround for competing for National Merit without the PSAT:

If a Student Misses the PSAT/NMSQT® Administration
A student who does not take the PSAT/NMSQT because of illness, an emergency, or other extenuating circumstance, but meets all other requirements for NMSC program participation, may still be able to enter the competition. The student or a school official must write to NMSC as soon as possible after the PSAT/NMSQT administration to request information about procedures for alternate entry to the National Merit Scholarship Program. To be considered, a request must be postmarked no later than April 1 following the PSAT/NMSQT administration that was missed. The alternate entry request should include the name and address of the student; the contact information of the person making the request; the name and address of the student's high school; and a brief explanation of why the student missed the PSAT/NMSQT.

The earlier NMSC receives the written request, the greater the student's opportunities for meeting alternate entry requirements. Upon receiving and processing the request, NMSC will provide alternate entry materials, including instructions for program entry and a form that requires the signature of a school official.

I'm not sure, but I've heard that being unable to find a testing center could meet this requirement.  You'll need to contact them to verify your situation.  

• Like 4

My 7th grader is all primed, but we have been unable to find a test site. Anybody, by chance, know of a place anywhere in the greater Los Angeles, Inland Empire or Orange County area that will let him. thanks.

I wonder if you are having trouble because he is a homeschooler or because he is in 7th grade? 

My public school used to permit their younger students to take the PSAT.  They have changed the policy this year and are only permitting 11th graders to sit for the test.

• Like 1

I wonder if you are having trouble because he is a homeschooler or because he is in 7th grade? 

My public school used to permit their younger students to take the PSAT.  They have changed the policy this year and are only permitting 11th graders to sit for the test.

I believe the church schools would be more receptive if he were homeschooled.  His school (6-12) won't let him because they would have to open it to the whole middle school. Private and public schools aren't helpful because of  no-outsider rules, and  because  (I think) his school is a well known it school.  

I just learned about this workaround for competing for National Merit without the PSAT:

If a Student Misses the PSAT/NMSQT® Administration

A student who does not take the PSAT/NMSQT because of illness, an emergency, or other extenuating circumstance, but meets all other requirements for NMSC program participation, may still be able to enter the competition. The student or a school official must write to NMSC as soon as possible after the PSAT/NMSQT administration to request information about procedures for alternate entry to the National Merit Scholarship Program. To be considered, a request must be postmarked no later than April 1 following the PSAT/NMSQT administration that was missed. The alternate entry request should include the name and address of the student; the contact information of the person making the request; the name and address of the student's high school; and a brief explanation of why the student missed the PSAT/NMSQT.

The earlier NMSC receives the written request, the greater the student's opportunities for meeting alternate entry requirements. Upon receiving and processing the request, NMSC will provide alternate entry materials, including instructions for program entry and a form that requires the signature of a school official.

I'm not sure, but I've heard that being unable to find a testing center could meet this requirement.  You'll need to contact them to verify your situation.  

This is a great suggestion.  The work-around has been available at least since the 1980s, because I qualified for NM through it.  My school did not offer the PSAT, and we had never even heard of the program it until after the October testing date.  I took the SAT instead, and my SAT score subbed in for the PSAT score.  Of course, that was "back in the day" when the SAT and PSAT scores were easier to correlate--add the zero to the end of the PSAT score, or subtract the zero from the SAT score, and they could be substituted for each other.  NM took my excuse at the time--"I've never heard of you"--as an "other extenuating circumstance," so I would sure think that being kicked out of a verified testing spot would work just as well.

• Like 2

Ds used the work around option as well, this year to register for a work related scholarship (NM runs the program) from dh's company. They used his SAT scores instead.

We didn't even have to give NM a reason, other than that he didn't take the PSATs the previous year.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

Well, my 7th grader is all dressed up and no place to go.  Giving up on the PSAT.  No sense dragging this out into next week. Not a total loss though. Through the prep work, we found out is algebra 1 and geometry is iron clad.  On to the SAT next summer.

Well, my 7th grader is all dressed up and no place to go. Giving up on the PSAT. No sense dragging this out into next week. Not a total loss though. Through the prep work, we found out is algebra 1 and geometry is iron clad. On to the SAT next summer.

You could have him do the SAT this year with one of the talent search programs like Johns Hopkins CTY.

• Like 2