Menu

Summer salads for the meat-and-potatoes guy

Innisfree

We need to invite family over, including BIL who is famously picky about food.

What he loves is steak, burgers, brats, and potatoes. He is great at grilling. We are not. I don't want to grill.

He hates onions, beans, seafood, and probably a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting. Anything slightly "odd" or "different" from roughly 1960s American cooking is outside his normal range. So, no tabouli, gazpacho, hummus, tacos, etc.

I really don't want to roast a chicken (dh's suggestion) or anything similarly hot. We eat a bunch of summer salads, but everything I usually fix has forbidden ingredients.

Any ideas? BIL is a great guy, and I want to feed him something he'll enjoy, but I'm drawing a blank.

Yeah they are perfectly fine done in a skillet, grill pan, etc. 

I mean it doesn't HAVE to be burgers of course, but I'd just go with something easy you know he likes rather than guessing which salad would be less objectionable to him.  I kinda feel him.  I don't like any of the salads you mentioned either.  I love green salads, but not as a main dish.

• Like 2

Just do sandwiches and salads.  Get a couple different deli meat selections, a couple different cheeses, some good baguette and a couple types of mustard and mayo.  Most people will eat a sandwich!  People can choose between a large salad, a large sandwich, or some of both. 

Even better!!!

Love this idea...

If he is stuck in the 60's you might want to include a Jell-O mold salad of some kind. And maybe pigs in a blanket. (grin)

He actually might love a Jell-O salad. Hmmm... As long as it didn't have too much... you know... "stuff" in it. ;-)

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 1

Do you have any electrical appliances that you can use outside, so the cooking smells and heat stay out there?

I imagine that that is a consideration.

For instance, if you have an electric frying pan you can fry chicken or make potroast outside--those are meaty and traditional.

Or with a crockpot you could do pulled pork or meatballs.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

Do you have any electrical appliances that you can use outside, so the cooking smells and heat stay out there?

I imagine that that is a consideration.

For instance, if you have an electric frying pan you can fry chicken or make potroast outside--those are meaty and traditional.

Or with a crockpot you could do pulled pork or meatballs.

You're right, the heat is the issue. Unfortunately we have none of that equipment.

Well, what DO you have that you can use outside? Give us something to work with! :)

I'm sorry! I'm not trying to be difficult. :-)

Any normal indoor cooking equipment: pots, pans, skillets, stove, oven.

The sandwich idea is sounding good to me. I may just lay in a bunch of good cold cuts, cheeses, breads or rolls, etc. If I have enough good stuff I can make it look hospitable and not as if I'm trying to fob them off instead of cooking properly, right?

Sandwiches and a couple of salads could be a "good" summer meal, couldn't they?

• Like 3

I would do some sort of sandwich. You could do something that could be prepared ahead and eaten cold (roast beef, turkey breast, ham) or bought as cold cuts. Or, you can do all sorts of things in a crock pot - BBQ pork, chicken, or beef, pot-roast style meat cooked with onions that can be shredded, etc. I'd serve any of the above with slider buns so that folks can have small portions or get 2-3 if it's the main part of their meal. Or cook a bunch of bacon and offer BLTs on white bread - it's old-fashioned and good in the summer. With the sandwiches you can do a green salad, jello/fruit salad, pasta or potato salad, and whatever else you want...deviled eggs also add an old-fashioned fill-you-up protein. A plate of pickles might also work.

Although I now love hummus, guacamole, etc, when I was growing up pasta with jarred sauce, pizza, tacos, and take-out chinese were as 'exotic' as it got. I never tried a lot of things until I was in college or grad school. For folks who didn't grow up eating this kind of food (like much of my family), it's 'weird'. I've gotten to see the flip side of this when introducing friends from other countries to American foods. I'd make sure that there is something that he can eat, and not spend a lot of angst over it. In my family, I make sure that there is a plate of veggies and dip or cut fruit and also, for outside summer meals, a bag of chips. That way even the pickiest have a side that they can eat, and I don't have to worry about particular ingredients that I want to use.

• Like 3

I'm sorry! I'm not trying to be difficult. :-)

Any normal indoor cooking equipment: pots, pans, skillets, stove, oven.

The sandwich idea is sounding good to me. I may just lay in a bunch of good cold cuts, cheeses, breads or rolls, etc. If I have enough good stuff I can make it look hospitable and not as if I'm trying to fob them off instead of cooking properly, right?

Sandwiches and a couple of salads could be a "good" summer meal, couldn't they?

I think that sounds super hospitable. 

• Like 3

...deviled eggs also add an old-fashioned fill-you-up protein.

Ooooh, deviled eggs, yes! Not sure about BIL, but the rest of this crowd will love them.

Okay, thanks, guys. I knew the Hive could figure this out. We'll have sandwich makings, potato salad, green salad, melon, deviled eggs, maybe a jello salad. Everyone can enjoy something there.

• Like 5

Sometimes I'll cook a sirloin steak or chicken breasts on my stove top, slice them thin, and serve them over a cold pasta/tomato salad or along side roasted tomatoes/zucchinis, etc.  It kind of gives meat a summery feel.

• Like 1

Who doesn't like tacos?

Prefer soft or hard, fine. Like certain fillings over others, also fine.

But no tacos? What a loon. Send him home! No tacos.

You can always make the salad quite plain and offer toppings on the side. My family has always done this. A few more dishes dirtied, but not really any more work. 

I don't like a lot of "stuff" in my food either. I can like every single ingredient alone or in small combos, while hating it all mixed together. I am a super taster, and I have texture issues. FWIW, I am not as picky as your BIL sounds (but I have food intolerances now that are as picky as your BIL, lol!).

• Like 1

Sounds like some very simple and well-known foods you already know he'd like, so just include them. You can boil sausages/brats and pan fry them at the end and bake potatoes in the oven. No special equipment needed. If you don't have a microwave, then do potato salad without onion. 

• Like 1

If you want to cook burgers inside but want a grilled, smoky taste, try using a little Liquid Smoke. If you patty your own burgers, you can add it to the mix. If you just pan fry it, add it to the pan. Doesn't take much.

• Like 1