Menu

Would an iPhone be best for my 86yo mother?

RegGuheert

I finally convinced my 86yo mother to give up her landline and move to a cell phone on our family plan.  This change will literally save her $100/month while providing significant benefits.

We all have iPads and Android phones and I just planned on purchasing her a used Android phone and going with that.  But the more I think about it, I think an iPhone SE might be better for her.  I believe the UI is a bit cleaner with bigger images and, more importantly, I think she may have problems with the Micro USB connector found on most Android phones.  Heck, WE have problems with those things.  The iPhones have the Lightning connector which can be plugged either way.  I also think it is a much more durable connector than Micro USB.  (We've lost a few phones to those tiny connectors, but the iPad connectors have been very durable.)

I don't think the extra $150 for a used iPhone will make any real difference to my mother. (Did I mention how much she is saving every month?)

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with older parents with iPhone and/or Android phones that you can share?  I am completely agnostic on this topic since I like both platforms.  I would love to hear things like: "My dad HATES his iPhone!" or "My mom LOVES her Android phone!" or anything else that gives some insight into issues they may have/not have.

Finally, are there other smartphones (must be able to create a WiFi hotspot from the phone) that will work on T-Mobile and are durable and ergonomic for seniors?

TIA for all your thoughts!

• Like 1

My mom is a bit younger, in her sixties, and she has an iphone 5 and doesn't like it. The tiny screen drives her nuts, and she has trouble seeing it if she's trying to read text.

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but I have one of the new Galaxy S8s and I think it would be a nice smartphone for a senior. It has a big bright screen, it uses a new kind of charging cable that can be plugged in either way, and it's waterproof in up to one and a half meters for half an hour, so no worries if it falls in the dishwater or the toilet. ;) I think the UI is fairly simple to use and its durability seems comparable to other smartphones I've used. It's compatible with the wireless charging pads too, so you don't even have to worry about a charging cable if you don't want to.

The only downside I can think of is that the home and back buttons are integrated into the screen on this model rather than being separate physical buttons, which some people might find annoying.

Is your mother going to use the phone only for making calls, or will she be using it for other things, too? Something like an S8 would be overkill for something who was only using it as a phone. In that case, I think I'd go with one of the super cheap smartphones you can get for under fifty bucks.

• Like 2

My grandma has a big Samsung, its way more phone than she needs but she figured it out. She's funny posting stuff on FB when she can't figure out her phone, then I send my brother to her house or take a ton of screen shots and walk her through it.

Whatever phone you get, if it's a smart phone she will probably need a lot of help learning to use it if she has never used a computer type device before.

• Like 2

My 75 yo mom just got her first smart phone, and is enjoying tutoring from my 12 yo daughter.  We debated android vs iPhone, and ended up choosing the latter since there was a special deal.  I have an iPhone too, and it has been VERY helpful, when she's called me and asked me how to do something, to do the same thing on my phone that I am telling her to do.  If she had an Android, I could tell her to go to "settings" but I wouldn't know exactly what the options would be without actually being there.  So in a nutshell, I'd get her something you already have, to make tech support easier.

• Like 3

How is she at touch screens in general?

I ask because my brother gave our 87 year old mom an iPod mini, and she can't operate that thing to save her life.  She wants to, and she tries and tries, but it's almost impossible for her to touch without swiping, or hold it steady without touching something by accident while trying to operate it with her other hand.  She deletes things.  She holds/squishes her finger in one place too long (causing the icons to jiggle and get deleted) or swipes without meaning to (causing all kinds of weird things to happen), or everything just takes FOREVER because she is trying not to make mistakes.  She isn't shaky at all, but she does have arthritis in her thumbs, and she is afraid of it because she has deleted precious pictures and e-mails and videos, and she doesn't know how to get them back.  Of course, you mom may be totally adept with touch screens.  

I agree that the microUSB would be challenging.  They have to go in the right direction, and they have to slide in straight.  The iPhone lightning connectors can go in wrong as well though, even though they feel like they went in correctly (like, sliding in between the phone and the case).  

• Like 2

My mom is a bit younger, in her sixties, and she has an iphone 5 and doesn't like it. The tiny screen drives her nuts, and she has trouble seeing it if she's trying to read text.

O.K. I think the iPhone SE is similar to an iPhone 5, so that's one strike against it.

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but I have one of the new Galaxy S8s and I think it would be a nice smartphone for a senior. It has a big bright screen, it uses a new kind of charging cable that can be plugged in either way, and it's waterproof in up to one and a half meters for half an hour, so no worries if it falls in the dishwater or the toilet. ;) I think the UI is fairly simple to use and its durability seems comparable to other smartphones I've used. It's compatible with the wireless charging pads too, so you don't even have to worry about a charging cable if you don't want to.

Thanks!  My son has a phone with the reversible USB cable (USB-C?) and I was wondering if any of the Samsungs had that.  The S8 sounds like a good fit, but it is pretty pricey.  Do any other Samsungs have that connector?

Is your mother going to use the phone only for making calls, or will she be using it for other things, too? Something like an S8 would be overkill for something who was only using it as a phone. In that case, I think I'd go with one of the super cheap smartphones you can get for under fifty bucks.

Frankly, I don't really think she will use it for phone calls or anything else.  I gave her a Bluetooth box that allows her to use her existing phones in the house and the hotspot will be used for internet.  I expect her to take it with her when she is out "just in case" and then plug it into the charger when she gets home.  And I'm a bit concerned that she will struggle with the connector with the "under fifty bucks" type of phone that you recommend and that I sat down to purchase tonight.  She's VERY active, but I do see her age having its effects.

That said, I kinda hope that she will venture beyond the above once she gets more comfortable with the phone, but that will require the right choice of a phone.  For instance, she could listen to audiobooks on Hoopla.  Also, we have about 100 movies on iTunes.  She could watch some of these on her TV through the phone (if I purchase an iPhone).  I don't think she will text unless she can do it all with her voice (and have it read the replies), which is certainly a possibility with any of the modern phones.

• Like 1

The 80something year old in my life loves apple devices. She loves to FaceTime and loves the kindle app. The phone is easy to use and update...but I do check a couple times a year to make sure she is updating.

By saying "Apple devices," you bring up an interesting thought.  I love my iPad so much that my phone is relegated to making calls only.  T-Mobile now allows me to text from my iPad.  (I can call from it, too, but that's a bit weird...)  I'm in my fifties, but my near vision is such that I appreciate the larger format of the iPad.  At the same time, I don't really want a giant phone that won't fit in my pocket.

Can you tell me if your mom prefers the iPad for FaceTime, or if she uses the phone for that?  Does she text?  If so, on what device?

• Like 1

My 82 yo mil likes and uses her iPhone 7. She took a class at the Apple Store and learned just what she needed to know. Whenever she needs to know something she asks my kids or goes to the Apple Store where they are super patient.

Her main uses are maps, texting, uber, and occasionally phone.

• Like 3

I am an iPhone devotee. Period.

That said and out of the way, the best DEVICE is one that lets your mom do what she wants to do.

Does she want a phone only? Get a flip phone.

Does she want to phone and text but nothing else? Get a device that lets her do that with bug keys and a phone memory list.

Does she want to snoop the internet? Get a phone/text tgsy lets her do those things and anninternet snooping device. An iPad.

The brand / device loyalty is not the point. What usvit that will let her do what she wants to do.

I would love to hear things like: "My dad HATES his iPhone!" or "My mom LOVES her Android phone!" or anything else that gives some insight into issues they may have/not have.

Finally, are there other smartphones (must be able to create a WiFi hotspot from the phone) that will work on T-Mobile and are durable and ergonomic for seniors?

TIA for all your thoughts!

Couple of thoughts:  I don't know what your Mom's vision is like, but a friend's mum with failing eyesight loves, loves, loves Siri.  It has been life changing for her.

I might consider getting one of those wireless charging do-hickeys, so she never needs to mess with those fiddly small plugs, just set it down in the right place.

• Like 2

Couple of thoughts:  I don't know what your Mom's vision is like, but a friend's mum with failing eyesight loves, loves, loves Siri.  It has been life changing for her.

You know, I don't use Siri so I did not even think about that.  But I think that could be a really big deal for Mom.  Frankly, I'd rather her learn how to use Siri than try to figure out all the rest.  That might be the deciding factor.

I might consider getting one of those wireless charging do-hickeys, so she never needs to mess with those fiddly small plugs, just set it down in the right place.

Another excellent idea!  That could be the best solution for charging.

• Like 1

How is her hearing? 

It's not good.  She has hearing aids for both ears.  But she doesn't wear them all the time.  She didn't have them in this morning when I visited and we could converse.  We also watched a few YouTube videos on my iPad and she could hear with it turned all the way up.

• Like 1

It's not good.  She has hearing aids for both ears.  But she doesn't wear them all the time.  She didn't have them in this morning when I visited and we could converse.  We also watched a few YouTube videos on my iPad and she could hear with it turned all the way up.

OK.  Just asking because my 92 year old mom (who has been hard of hearing since her 30's) has to have an adaptive phone.  Hers actually uses an internet connection.  A smartphone wouldn't work for my mom but my mom's hearing is a lot worse. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

My grandma has a big Samsung, its way more phone than she needs but she figured it out. She's funny posting stuff on FB when she can't figure out her phone, then I send my brother to her house or take a ton of screen shots and walk her through it.

Whatever phone you get, if it's a smart phone she will probably need a lot of help learning to use it if she has never used a computer type device before.

I think she used Visicalc before I ever used a computer and has used computers for many years since then, both professionally and for volunteer organizations.  But she has been so frustrated by dial-up internet that she avoids even her email.  She is in a competitive singing group and her friends send her MP3s.  Today she had 18MB sitting in her email and couldn't stand the idea of sitting down and trying to get her email.  When I showed her that it only took a few seconds with the phone's internet, she was really shocked.

All to say that she is not technology phobic, but I do worry about her vision and hearing.  They are not great now and will only get worse.

• Like 1

OK.  Just asking because my 92 year old mom (who has been hard of hearing since her 30's) has to have an adaptive phone.  Hers actually uses an internet connection.  A smartphone wouldn't work for my mom but my mom's hearing is a lot worse. 

Thanks!  She's not there, yet.  She uses a cordless phone at home now.  We tested the phones today and I could easily converse with her.  But her hearing does get steadily worse.

• Like 1

My 75 yo mom just got her first smart phone, and is enjoying tutoring from my 12 yo daughter.  We debated android vs iPhone, and ended up choosing the latter since there was a special deal.  I have an iPhone too, and it has been VERY helpful, when she's called me and asked me how to do something, to do the same thing on my phone that I am telling her to do.  If she had an Android, I could tell her to go to "settings" but I wouldn't know exactly what the options would be without actually being there.  So in a nutshell, I'd get her something you already have, to make tech support easier.

We do not have any iPhones here, but I'm very familiar with our iPads.  I have done some development for iOS, so I could pull up an iPhone emulator if I needed to talk her through something that is not on an iPad.

Along the lines of what you are suggesting, I'm starting to wonder what kind of phones her friends use.  It might be best to get her one like they have so that she can get tips from them.  I think I will ask her about that.

• Like 1

The iPhone transcribes most voicemails. I seriously appreciate this as I hate being on the phone.

If deafness is an issue you can set a smart phone up to work with a Bluetooth device which can be turned into high volume.

When I want to talk to my increasingly deaf mom, I go out to my car, set up with Bluetooth so I can tell really loud so mom can hear me on her end.

Whether you go Android or iPhone, a larger screen is better. My mom has hinted at this for a while.

I showed her a couple of different sizes today and she didn't seem to care.  But she hasn't really tried to use them, yet.  She wears glasses, but I don't really know how well she sees.  She drives other people around for charity, so I hope she can see well! :eek:

• Like 1

How is she at touch screens in general?

Thanks for telling me your mom's story.  It's kinda sad.  I didn't even consider this.  I don't know how to answer the question since I don't think she has ever used a touch screen.  We'll just have to see how things go.  For now, though, I have things set up to minimize her need to use the phone's interface while at home.  When she is away, she still is not used to having a phone (other than a TracPhone she carries for emergencies), so she will not likely do much with her phone, at first.

I agree that the microUSB would be challenging.  They have to go in the right direction, and they have to slide in straight.  The iPhone lightning connectors can go in wrong as well though, even though they feel like they went in correctly (like, sliding in between the phone and the case).  

The difference is that with Micro USB, it's often very difficult to tell which way it should go, and trying both is not a good plan.  If you mess up with Lightning, you might get a couple of scratches, but I don't think the connectors will get damage.

• Like 2

iPads and iPhones are still considered the most customizable for universal access features. And companies like the ones that make Benny's hearings aides, ReSound, actually have apps where the phone can dial directly into the hearing aid for crisp audio, and music and other programs on the device can stream directly in too.

My 80 year-old mom can use hers, but she doesn't - always wants to save the battery! She keeps it in a ziplock bag inside a tupperware container because she is afraid it might get wet. 

She uses her ipad all the time. 

The difference is that this will be Mom's ONLY telephone (and source of internet).  You know what, the batteries are WAY better than they used to be.  I'll encourage her to not worry about that.

Mom doesn't really enjoy using her computer that much (it's slow and not overly useful).  I don't know if she would gravitate to an iPad or not.

• Like 1

my 85 year old grandmother lived with us a few years and she could not use any cell phone except the jitterbug, which had big buttons, and a yes or no button and we paid for operator assistance, so when she'd get stuck, she could just ask the operator to call "my sister" .  We tried to move her to a very simple phone with big buttons, but she could not work it reliably.  The jitterbug is a cool system, but not really money saving, though I thought it was worth it. 

• Like 2

My 82 yo mil likes and uses her iPhone 7. She took a class at the Apple Store and learned just what she needed to know. Whenever she needs to know something she asks my kids or goes to the Apple Store where they are super patient.

Her main uses are maps, texting, uber, and occasionally phone.

Unfortunately, the closest Apple store is over one-and-a-half hours away from Mom.  I can support her up to the point where there are hardware problems.

When your mother texts, does she use voice or does she type on the phone's virtual keyboard?

• Like 1

I am an iPhone devotee. Period.

That said and out of the way, the best DEVICE is one that lets your mom do what she wants to do.

Does she want a phone only? Get a flip phone.

Does she want to phone and text but nothing else? Get a device that lets her do that with bug keys and a phone memory list.

Does she want to snoop the internet? Get a phone/text tgsy lets her do those things and anninternet snooping device. An iPad.

She has a flip phone in her purse now that she never uses because it is NOT her normal telephone number AND she pays for every minute.

She needs to make calls (which can be through the Bluetooth device at home) and create a hotspot at a minimum.

She has a computer, but an iPad may make sense at some point.

The brand / device loyalty is not the point. What usvit that will let her do what she wants to do.

I agree completely.  I'm really leaning toward purchasing an iPhone for her since we do not have any here.  If she doesn't like it, I'll swap it for my Samsung Galaxy.  I couldn't care less which one I have.  We only use Android because they are cheap.

• Like 1

iPads and iPhones are still considered the most customizable for universal access features. And companies like the ones that make Benny's hearings aides, ReSound, actually have apps where the phone can dial directly into the hearing aid for crisp audio, and music and other programs on the device can stream directly in too.

That's pretty cool!  It might be another reason to choose an Apple device.

• Like 1

my 85 year old grandmother lived with us a few years and she could not use any cell phone except the jitterbug, which had big buttons, and a yes or no button and we paid for operator assistance, so when she'd get stuck, she could just ask the operator to call "my sister" .  We tried to move her to a very simple phone with big buttons, but she could not work it reliably.  The jitterbug is a cool system, but not really money saving, though I thought it was worth it. 

I wonder if there are similar phones for other carriers.  We are on T-Mobile and I didn't notice any such phone on their website.  If I could purchase something like a Jitterbug for T-Mobile that could create a WiFi Hotspot, I would purchase it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I may have just found something on the Samsung Galaxy that addresses many of my concerns: "Easy Mode".  That should make the phone much easier to use, while still providing all of the SmartPhone features and T-Mobile network access (LTE 2, 4 and 12) that she needs.

Perhaps if I combine that with a charging pad case, she will be all set.

Does anyone have any experience with Samsung's Easy Mode?  I think I will switch my phone to this and learn more about it.

P.S.  When my 70-something MIL visits next weekend, I think I will switch her Galaxy to Easy Mode and put in some quick dials for her friends and family members.

• Like 1

My mil usually uses the keyboard to text, but she is learning some shortcuts. The biggest help was that her class was taught by a blind man and she really learned Siri. She also said that if a blind man can use his iPhone, she should be able to figure it out.

Relying on it during travel made the biggest impression. And she loves that she can receive pictures via text so easily.

• Like 3

Thanks!  My son has a phone with the reversible USB cable (USB-C?) and I was wondering if any of the Samsungs had that.  The S8 sounds like a good fit, but it is pretty pricey.  Do any other Samsungs have that connector?

Yep, it's a USB-C. As far as I know, it's a new feature with the S8 and none of the others have it. :(

Edited by Mergath
  • Like 2

She has a flip phone in her purse now that she never uses because it is NOT her normal telephone number AND she pays for every minute.

She needs to make calls (which can be through the Bluetooth device at home) and create a hotspot at a minimum.

She has a computer, but an iPad may make sense at some point.

I agree completely. I'm really leaning toward purchasing an iPhone for her since we do not have any here. If she doesn't like it, I'll swap it for my Samsung Galaxy. I couldn't care less which one I have. We only use Android because they are cheap.

I paid for my mom to have cell phone for three years and could never reach her on it. She didn't like to turn it on because it would wear out the battery.

Me: Gimme that phone. 🙄ðŸ˜

I am really working on not becoming afraid of new tech. It can be so helpful. Don't even get me statmrted on another elderly relative. :0)

One thing you can look at when she has a phone is a free course from AARP either in person or online. A big screen sounds good but a large phone or Phablet might be awkward to hold In her hand and hold to talk for more than 2 minutes. If you select Android a Motorola has an easier menu to navigate. Samsung changes a lot of Android. Both manufacturers devices connect well to the cell towers. More bang for the buck with MOTOROLA or Lenovo than with Samsung. Get a phone with Gorilla Glass and water proofing and good luck to your Mom.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MIL is 81 or 82 and got an iPhone a few months ago. Prior to that she'd used a flip phone but I don't think had any familiarity with touch screens beyond maybe ATMs. She is computer literate on basic stuff--Facebook, checking her bank accounts, etc.. She had very little difficulty learning the basic usage of the iPhone. I think hers is a 5s, but I'm not positive. Her vision and hearing are extraordinarily good, so not an issue at all.

• Like 3

In addition to my suggestion about an AARP course (online or in person) and YouTube instructional videos, I have a suggestion I believe is worth offering to you and your mother:

Take 2 or 3 phones, of different sizes (and slightly different weights) to your Mother. Ask her to hold each one of them in her hand and see if it is comfortable. This will depend on the size of the phone and the size of your mothers hands.

Then, ask her to hold each phone up to her ear, for 2 or 3 minutes, as if she were in a conversation, and see if it is comfortable for her.

My guess is that the larger phones will be more uncomfortable for your mother.

I think this is the phone my DD has. I think she has a Motorola Moto G4.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g

As you can see from the Specs, it has a 5.5" Full HD display.    That's very nice, if you are looking at the Display, but it might be too large for your mother to hold in her hand and up to her ear.

When your Mother gets her first SMART phone, she should try to learn something new, every day. How to turn it on and off. How to make and end phone calls. How to send SMS Text Messages. The list goes on...

Although Samsung phones are somewhat harder to use than a Motorola or Lenovo phone, I have a lot of respect for my very low-end Samsung. It was made in late 2014.  It does not have Gorilla Glass.  It has really impressed me. My wife bought it, used, from her niece. It had previously been used by a boy who was probably 4 or 5 years old when he had it.  We have had it for 1 1/2 years.  Works perfectly...

Good luck to your mother with her first Smart phone!

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

By saying "Apple devices," you bring up an interesting thought.  I love my iPad so much that my phone is relegated to making calls only.  T-Mobile now allows me to text from my iPad.  (I can call from it, too, but that's a bit weird...)  I'm in my fifties, but my near vision is such that I appreciate the larger format of the iPad.  At the same time, I don't really want a giant phone that won't fit in my pocket.

Can you tell me if your mom prefers the iPad for FaceTime, or if she uses the phone for that?  Does she text?  If so, on what device?

For Tablets and Phones:  One can use the magicApp from magicJack. We have a magicJack, so I have magicApp installed on my Samsung phone, free, and it uses the same phone number as our magicJack.

For USD $9.99 a year, one can have magicApp, with a U.S. phone number, and call phones in the USA, Canada, PR and VI, free. One can send/receive unlimited SMS Text messagess to/from U.S. Mobile Numbers.

if you have WiFi available, for USD $9.99 a year your Tablet also works as a phone...

Here's the link:  http://www.magicjack.com/magicApp.html

• Like 1

I saw/answered your poll before I saw this thread. My mom has an iPhone 5 and I mentioned in the poll she only uses it for phone calls. While she doesn't use the phone for anything else, she does like that she can go to the Apple store and talk to a real person if she has any problems or questions. She doesn't like to bother my siblings (they live near her and also use iphones) with these things. Mom is in her early 70s, still works full-time and is otherwise out-and-about a lot (mostly grandkid activities)--she likes to keep busy. Going to the apple store is not a big deal because she can get herself there and goes when she wants.

I can't remember if my MIL used a smartphone but she's always had trouble with cellphones--even the basic dumbphone with large buttons. She's a few years older than your mom.

Your question about TMobile--ds1 has TMobile and uses a Nexus 6P. He did have to get a sim card when he switched from Google Fi. (He wasn't getting service at work so he switched. Turns out the wifi at work was crap which they later improved but he'd already switched.)

ETA: the phone connector is reversible

Edited by Cinder

One thing you can look at when she has a phone is a free course from AARP either in person or online.

That's a great idea!  I don't know if she is an AARP member, but she certainly can afford it with the money she is saving.  I will look into that.

A big screen sounds good but a large phone or Phablet might be awkward to hold In her hand and hold to talk for more than 2 minutes.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of salad-plate-sized phones.  I'll take my small phone and large tablet anyday.  I will also note that phones that are too small are also hard to hold.  I developed some carpal-tunnel syndrome symptoms a while back from talking on my too-small cell phone.

If you select Android a Motorola has an easier menu to navigate. Samsung changes a lot of Android.

Have you tried Samsung's Easy Mode?  It looks very nice.  Not only does it clean up the main screens, it also simplifies the following apps:

- Camera

- Email

- Gallery

- Internet

- Phone

- Calendar

- Video

If you like Easy Mode and DON'T like what it does to the individual apps, you can turn it on or off individually for each of these apps.  Way cool!

I want Easy Mode for ME on my phone, but I just learned that it is on my youngest three children's phones (Samsung Galaxy Grand Primes) but NOT on the phones that MomsintheGarden and I have (Samsung Galaxy Core Primes).  Figures...  The Grand Prime is the same width as the Core Prime, but it is taller.  As such, it should not be harder to hold.  It also has better cameras.  Both fit in Mom's purse just fine.  As such, I am very close to purchasing the Grand Prime for my Mom.

Both manufacturers devices connect well to the cell towers.

That's only true for voice calls.  For 4G data, it makes a big difference.  T-Mobile is on LTE bands 2, 4, and 12.  LTE band 12 is the 700 MHz frequency which used to be used for UHF TV channels 60-something and up.  T-Mobile licensed that band and it is now a huge selling feature for them since 700 MHz travels further and penetrates buildings better with less attenuation.

I have only ever found T-Mobile-branded phones which support all three of these LTE bands.

My daughter made the mistake of purchasing a Motorola Android phone from a friend (for $100!) that was for AT&T's network.  Now she has no access to 4G service on her phone.

More bang for the buck with MOTOROLA or Lenovo than with Samsung.

I don't believe that.  I just bought TWO Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime phones on eBay used for $47 and $60 shipped.  Both are in excellent condition and work great.  Even new, these low-end Samsungs are good deals.  Unfortunately, I don't think T-Mobile sells any of Motorola or Lenovo's products.

Get a phone with Gorilla Glass and water proofing and good luck to your Mom.

These phones do not have Gorilla Glass, but I do put a tempered glass screen protector on them as the "sacrificial lamb" in case of a drop.  For the price, I'm not worried about waterproof.  If she drowns it, I'll get her a new one.

Both my parents (89) have iPhones, and they love them, especially my mother.  My father's fingers tend to get in the way of using it at times, but my mother is good at it.  (She also has an iPad, two MacBooks, a desktop Mac, a Kindle, and an iPod.  Yes, she is very techy!)

But, I'd maybe accompany your mother to a couple stores and have her try out a variety of phones.  If she has never used a technical device before, it might take some getting used to.  Our whole family is an Apple family, but I know plenty of Android people who really love their Androids.  They seem very clean.  I don't know if one would be easier to use than the other.

I don't know if that helps!

• Like 1

You know, I don't use Siri so I did not even think about that. But I think that could be a really big deal for Mom. Frankly, I'd rather her learn how to use Siri than try to figure out all the rest. That might be the deciding factor.

Another excellent idea! That could be the best solution for charging.

I was legally blind for a while before corneal transplants. Siri was amazing, and I was able to text via voice and hear texts through her.

• Like 2

That's a great idea!  I don't know if she is an AARP member, but she certainly can afford it with the money she is saving.  I will look into that.

<snip>

I have only ever found T-Mobile-branded phones which support all three of these LTE bands.

My daughter made the mistake of purchasing a Motorola Android phone from a friend (for $100!) that was for AT&T's network.  Now she has no access to 4G service on her phone.

I don't believe that.  I just bought TWO Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime phones on eBay used for $47 and $60 shipped.  Both are in excellent condition and work great.  Even new, these low-end Samsungs are good deals.  Unfortunately, I don't think T-Mobile sells any of Motorola or Lenovo's products.

These phones do not have Gorilla Glass, but I do put a tempered glass screen protector on them as the "sacrificial lamb" in case of a drop.  For the price, I'm not worried about waterproof.  If she drowns it, I'll get her a new one.

My DD has a Motorola Moto G4.  I am not sure if the phone she has has all of these 4G bamds. As Motorola states, it varies by country and carrier, so it may not have radios for all of these GSM bands:

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g#carrier-friendly

4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 41)

That's for a phone that left the Motorola factory Unlocked and Unbranded and with a one year Motorola warranty. Those are the kind of phones we buy here in Colombia, in a superstore.

"carrier tested Moto G is unlocked and confirmed to work on Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Consumer Cellular. Moto G is also compatible with most U.S. carriers but please contact your service provider for details.

Check carrier compatibility

The phone I suggested to the lady who lives in a rural area of Nebraska, was purchased on the Motorola USA web site and she is using it on Verizon there as I recall.   I suggested a Motorola Moto G5 Plus to her.

The AARP courses are free as I recall.  I watched an "Extra" about those when viewers in the USA were shown commercials.

A phone that left the factory Unlocked and Unbranded should work with any GSM carrier, if it has the correct bands.

I was assuming you were going to buy your mother a new phone, but if you are buying Used, yes, the prices are much lower...

I hope your mother will be patient with herself and learn to use some of the power in the Smart phone she gets. They are very powerful devices and she needs to take it slowly and be patient with the "Learning Curve".

My old low end Samsung doesn't have that Easy Mode, but it does have Accessibility settings.  I'm way past needing Easy Mode. Not an expert, but competent enough to have Rooted my phone,  which was extremely easy, and Flashed to different Firmware in it. Also, it doesn't have 4G LTE capability.

Can your DD have the Used Motorola phone she bought from her friend Unlocked?  If so, if it has Radio for the GSM band she needs, it should work on another carrier, unless the original carrier did something horrible in the Firmware, when they wrote the Firmware. Branded phones are more glitchy...

ETA: It sounds like the phone your DD bought from her friend is Unlocked.  If it has a radio for the 4G LTE band she wants to use, AT&T must have written something bad, into their Custom Firmware for that model. If so, you may be able to get around that, by putting in different Firmware, but if it is in the section where the IMEI, etc. are located (that's called the EFS in a Samsung phone, probably something different in a Motorola) you may be unable to get around that issue.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

My DD has a Motorola Moto G4.  I am not sure if the phone she has has all of these 4G bamds. As Motorola states, it varies by country and carrier, so it may not have radios for all of these GSM bands:

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g#carrier-friendly

4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 41)

That's for a phone that left the Motorola factory Unlocked and Unbranded and with a one year Motorola warranty. Those are the kind of phones we buy here in Colombia, in a superstore.

It's good to know which bands are available.  Perhaps there is a way to access them without too much fiddling.

My old low end Samsung doesn't have that Easy Mode, but it does have Accessibility settings.  I'm way past needing Easy Mode. Not an expert, but competent enough to have Rooted my phone,  which was extremely easy, and Flashed to different Firmware in it. Also, it doesn't have 4G LTE capability.

I prefer the layout in Easy Mode better than the normal layout.  It's "easier."

Can your DD have the Used Motorola phone she bought from her friend Unlocked?  If so, if it has Radio for the GSM band she needs, it should work on another carrier, unless the original carrier did something horrible in the Firmware, when they wrote the Firmware. Branded phones are more glitchy...

ETA: It sounds like the phone your DD bought from her friend is Unlocked.  If it has a radio for the 4G LTE band she wants to use, AT&T must have written something bad, into their Custom Firmware for that model. If so, you may be able to get around that, by putting in different Firmware, but if it is in the section where the IMEI, etc. are located (that's called the EFS in a Samsung phone, probably something different in a Motorola) you may be unable to get around that issue.

That's an interesting idea.  She'll be here tomorrow, so I may look into this.  I wonder if she could ask her friend to have AT&T unlock the phone so that the IMEI stays clean.

The difference is that with Micro USB, it's often very difficult to tell which way it should go, and trying both is not a good plan. If you mess up with Lightning, you might get a couple of scratches, but I don't think the connectors will get damage.

Trying both ways with a micro USB - what I do 90% of the time - has never caused me any problems. Probably because I don't try to jam it in, but look at it as I gently try to plug it in, and if it doesn't look right or doesn't go in, I turn it around and try the other way. No damage, no problems. After a year of getting it wrong nearly every time, I am trying to learn to identify which way to put it on sight, but the trying both ways method has served me well, even when I hadn't the faintest idea which way it went and wasn't bothering to try to figure it out. I do have a long-engrained habit of never, ever trying to force electronics to connect when there's resistance - which might be key to not damaging things with the "try both ways" method - but, idk, I'm a long time user of that method with micro usb connectors, and it's not caused any problems.

• Like 2

Trying both ways with a micro USB - what I do 90% of the time - has never caused me any problems. Probably because I don't try to jam it in, but look at it as I gently try to plug it in, and if it doesn't look right or doesn't go in, I turn it around and try the other way. No damage, no problems. After a year of getting it wrong nearly every time, I am trying to learn to identify which way to put it on sight, but the trying both ways method has served me well, even when I hadn't the faintest idea which way it went and wasn't bothering to try to figure it out. I do have a long-engrained habit of never, ever trying to force electronics to connect when there's resistance - which might be key to not damaging things with the "try both ways" method - but, idk, I'm a long time user of that method with micro usb connectors, and it's not caused any problems.

I'm thinking about marking the connector end with a Sharpie (on a white cord) so that Mom will have an indication which way to turn the plug without having to look at the shape of the tiny connector.

As mentioned, we've lost four or five Android phones because the Micro USB connector got worn out and it was no longer possible to charge the phone.  And, frankly, we've always been pretty careful with the things.  Those were all manufactured by HTC, and it is one reason I no longer have any of their phones.  Perhaps the connectors that Samsung uses are more durable, but I think there is a reason that Apple engineered the rugged Lightning connector (besides to make everything proprietary) and why Samsung has now gone to USB-C.