Menu

How can I help dd improve her posture? (mild autism)

popmom

Other than telling her to stand up straight every 10 seconds. Is there any other way? I remember reading somewhere that it's not uncommon for kids with Asperger's to have poor posture. It's also not uncommon for kids with Asperger's to react very poorly to being nagged lol. I've considered taking her to an orthopedic doctor for a referral for physical therapy. I know that's a little over the top, but her posture is pretty bad, and it's going to cause her problems as she gets older. 

I've thought about ballet, but she has zero natural ability. I don't want to put her in a situation where she'll feel embarrassed. She's 11. I don't know of any beginner ballet classes for her age.

So far all I do is have her do a doorway stretch occasionally to open up her chest muscles. That's something PT recommended I do for my neck problems. Among other things. 

Any advice is appreciated.

We put DD into ballet. But she genuinely didn't care that she wasn't good. I will say that I don't think once a week really did a lot. She has low core strength, and focusing on general physical activity, outside time, and she's now doing boxing (that includes an ab workout) with her Dad, have done more for that. I have heard that kinesio taping can be a subtle reminder. There's a specific way to tape for that, but I haven't looked into it further.

Edited by Tangerine
  • Like 3

Would she enjoy horseback riding?

She would love it, but I can't afford it. She is on the waiting list for Special Equestrians, but it will be at least a year. I actually never thought about that helping with posture, but it makes sense.

• Like 2

A chiropractor could help.

What could a chiropractor do?

You could do a yoga DVD or class together. Yoga is very good for posture and body awareness, which is often also lacking in kids with autism.

Love this idea. I think we should definitely try this.

These are all great suggestions! Thanks!

Anything that helps build core strength can help. You can do a Google search for simple exercises to develop the core. That said, many kids on the spectrum have low muscle tone and that makes literally everything physical harder and more tiring for them than for someone with normal muscle tone. This article is aimed more toward younger kids, but it gives a really good overview of low muscle tone and the challenges that presents. A PT evaluation would definitely be a good idea.

• Like 1

I'd look for an activity that she would enjoy that could help build up those core muscles.   ETA - I don't think referral for PT is over the top at all.  The PT might have some good very specific suggestions. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

I have a shoulder impingement and ended up in physical therapy for it. Turns out improving my posture helps with the shoulder pain- the PT said it's almost always the case with my particular injury.  After a dozen sessions I am in less pain and have noticeably better posture. Yes, I do need to continue the exercises, but they are quite manageable. 

Dh is seeing a chiropractor for a different issue but is doing much the same exercises that I am and they're helping his issue. So...same type of exercises from both a PT and chiropractor.  I'd say it's worth a try for your dd. 

An ongoing activity would be great but I'd start with something dedicated to improving posture before I moved on to an activity. 

• Like 2

If you can get a PT with experience with autism and retained reflexes, that would be even better. Many kids with autism will turn out to have retained reflexes. It's not something all PTs (or OTs) know, but if you can find one it would be worth it.

After she does whatever the PT wants, then you could go into an exercise class together. 

• Like 3

classicalstretch.com or essentrics.com

Classical stretch is slower and calmer

They have some examples on youtube. Posture isn't controlled just by the shoulders, so overall stretching and strengthening will re-align the whole torso.