Menu

dental xrays

Elizabeth86

I realize the importance of them, but do you get them every time you go to the dentist? We have 5 people in our family and no dental insurance. So, I was thinking of telling the dentist up front we are just not going to do xrays every 6 months. Also, I was thinking our heads really shouldnt be xrayed this much. Anyone else decline the xrays? Does it go over well or are you pressured to get them?

If you don't have dental insurance, I would encourage you to find a dental school nearby for your exams.  We have a dental hygientist school at our local comm college which does a slow, but thorough low-cost exam which is overseen by a licensed dentist. 

They only encourage Xrays every other year. 

• Like 1

We've always had excellent dental insurance that pays one hundred percent for twice a year visits (cleanings). None of us have ever had x-rays done more than once a year. We've never had a dentist who wanted to do them more often than that unless there was a specific issue that required them, like needing a root canal or having wisdom teeth extracted. But for regular dental care/cleanings I believe the standard is once a year.

• Like 6

If you don't have dental insurance, I would encourage you to find a dental school nearby for your exams. We have a dental hygientist school at our local comm college which does a slow, but thorough low-cost exam which is overseen by a licensed dentist.

This is an excellent idea! I found one an hour away. This would be excellent for me and dh. I'm not sure it would be ideal for my 5, 4 and 1 yr old as it said the students may move slow since they are still learning. Thanks for the idea!

• Like 1

If you google, you will find that every six months is only recommended for patients with very high rates of cavities (new ones pretty much every appointment.) Other patients can go a year or more just fine. If you family is not cavity prone, I would find another dentist who x-rays at appropriate intervals. 

• Like 1

If you don't have dental insurance, I would encourage you to find a dental school nearby for your exams. We have a dental hygientist school at our local comm college which does a slow, but thorough low-cost exam which is overseen by a licensed dentist.

Yes! I calculated for our family of 5 to all get xrays and cleaning the total will be $120. I could hug you right now! I never would have thought of this on my own.

• Like 3

I've never been to a dentist that does x-rays every 6 months.  I've always had dental insurance, though, and they've only ever covered routine x-rays once a year.  I'd suspect your dentist is trying to take advantage of the fact that you don't have dental insurance to get you to pay for x-rays way more often than necessary.

• Like 2

Our office does them only once a year. I don't think our insurance would pay for them every 6 months.

I do not even think it is necessary to get them even once a year when no symptoms are present.

I'd be suspicious they want to rip you off because you are self pay. Ever 6 months seems excessive.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Sorry guys, I may be wrong about them wanting xrays every six months now I think about it. I actually dont go due to the cost, but I take the kids. The oldest kid is 5 and they try every six months, but they havent been able to get one because they cant hold the thing in their mouths.

• Like 1

Dental radiographs are recommended 1x/year unless there is suspected decay process or high rate of decay-then every 6 months.

Our office is very conservative.  Our dentist is upfront about how important xrays are to diagnose decay/other problems.  He will not see a patient for a cleaning/appointment if xrays are refused. If you won't agree to xrays, he won't do a limited exam.  But, if you are a patient who comes every 6 months, has always had xrays yearly, have not had a problem in a couple years, he will still do an exam/cleaning and allow you to skip xrays do to finances or whatever. Why would you want to pay for a limited exam anyway?

A note about dental hygiene schools:  There is a big time commitment.  Just to put that out there.  Like 4-8 hours per appt.  

• Like 1

Dental radiographs are recommended 1x/year unless there is suspected decay process or high rate of decay-then every 6 months.

Our office is very conservative. Our dentist is upfront about how important xrays are to diagnose decay/other problems. He will not see a patient for a cleaning/appointment if xrays are refused. If you won't agree to xrays, he won't do a limited exam. But, if you are a patient who comes every 6 months, has always had xrays yearly, have not had a problem in a couple years, he will still do an exam/cleaning and allow you to skip xrays do to finances or whatever. Why would you want to pay for a limited exam anyway?

A note about dental hygiene schools: There is a big time commitment. Just to put that out there. Like 4-8 hours per appt.

omg that is a huge time commitment. How do they ever get children to sit this long?

Sorry guys, I may be wrong about them wanting xrays every six months now I think about it. I actually dont go due to the cost, but I take the kids. The oldest kid is 5 and they try every six months, but they havent been able to get one because they cant hold the thing in their mouths.

So you think it's more "shoot, we don't have this on our records, let's try again"?

This is what it was with dd. They weren't able to get xrays for years but they'd try every time she came in. Normally they only do the xrays once per year. And our dental practice puts the lead vest on you every time.

This is what it was with dd. They weren't able to get xrays for years but they'd try every time she came in. Normally they only do the xrays once per year. And our dental practice puts the lead vest on you every time.

...also ask for the thyroid collar.

• Like 1

I have lived in Colombia for 22 years. None of the Dentist's I have been to have X-ray equipment. If they need x-rays they send patients to a place that only does dental x-rays. Every 6 months sounds very excessive to me

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk