Menu

Rattlesnakes infesting a trailer

Pronghorn

Wear jeans then coveralls, knee high gumboots, leather welding glove and have 2 people, one with a long handled shovel who watches ready to strike and one who removes the furniture one piece ata time slowly and steadily with no sudden movements. We have dispatched many tiger snakes this way.

just reread over my snake dispatching, both need a shovel, but the remover will be using their shovel as back up

I just checked, tiger snakes are more venomous

Edited to add, don't trap the snake inacorner, always allow what appears a way out. But also remember that most people who get bitten by a snake do so when they are trying to dispatch a snake

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 3

Wear jeans then coveralls, knee high gumboots, leather welding glove and have 2 people, one with a long handled shovel who watches ready to strike and one who removes the furniture one piece ata time slowly and steadily with no sudden movements. We have dispatched many tiger snakes this way.

just reread over my snake dispatching, both need a shovel, but the remover will be using their shovel as back up

I just checked, tiger snakes are more venomous

Edited to add, don't trap the snake inacorner, always allow what appears a way out. But also remember that most people who get bitten by a snake do so when they are trying to dispatch a snake

This advice is extremely dangerous when applied to rattlesnakes. Western Diamondbacks can strike faster than a human can react, and every other snake in that trailer will be alarmed by the first snake that rattles. That sound isn't just warning away predators, but communication, and rattlesnakes are extremely smart and social compared to most snakes. Once you kill one, the next will be primed to strike first and ask questions later.

Try to find a snake removal service. If there is a herp group in the area, there is probably someone who will do so unofficially. Someone who understands snake behaviors will have a better chance of removing the den without getting the snakes quite as upset. Remove all snakes, exterminate all rodents, clean thoroughly, plug leaks, and clear brush/remove all trash for as big of a radius as you can. Probably the trailer was parked near an existing den.

• Like 8

Yes, please listen to dmmetler! Western diamondbacks are nothing to fool around with. OP, the snakes could have moved in because of mice and other prey were in and around the trailer or it could be that the trailer is very near to their nest.

There is a species of rattler that can use its tail and attack a human by "jumping". I think it's the Western diamondback.

Edited by brehon
  • Like 1

I would focus on getting the person out of the trailer--permanently if necessary--before worrying about having a professional "evict" the snakes. Can the person's extended family provide shelter or find other living arrangements? I would definitely not ask volunteers to put themselves in danger in an enclosed space with rattlers if we're talking about an infestation inside a dwelling and not the occasional snake getting in or living outside nearby.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 10

This advice is extremely dangerous when applied to rattlesnakes. Western Diamondbacks can strike faster than a human can react, and every other snake in that trailer will be alarmed by the first snake that rattles. That sound isn't just warning away predators, but communication, and rattlesnakes are extremely smart and social compared to most snakes. Once you kill one, the next will be primed to strike first and ask questions later.

Try to find a snake removal service. If there is a herp group in the area, there is probably someone who will do so unofficially. Someone who understands snake behaviors will have a better chance of removing the den without getting the snakes quite as upset. Remove all snakes, exterminate all rodents, clean thoroughly, plug leaks, and clear brush/remove all trash for as big of a radius as you can. Probably the trailer was parked near an existing den.

I am only familiar with Australian snakes , they don't live in dens but are more solitary. so better to follow the advice quoted

• Like 1

I would focus on getting the person out of the trailer--permanently if necessary--before worrying about having a professional "evict" the snakes. Can the person's extended family provide shelter or find other living arrangements? I would definitely not ask volunteers to put themselves in danger in an enclosed space with rattlers if we're talking about an infestation inside a dwelling and not the occasional snake getting in or living outside nearby.

I was just thinking this. It may be time to say goodbye to the trailer. 

If you could get the person out until winter (and turn any heat in the trailer off), the snakes would likely evict themselves as it gets colder, assuming that it gets down near or below freezing). I'd still want a pro to come in and verify that, though. And the trailer would still need to be made solid enough to keep rodents and snakes out-and either moved or the area around it made less hospitable to snakes.

• Like 2

If you could get the person out until winter (and turn any heat in the trailer off), the snakes would likely evict themselves as it gets colder, assuming that it gets down near or below freezing). I'd still want a pro to come in and verify that, though. And the trailer would still need to be made solid enough to keep rodents and snakes out-and either moved or the area around it made less hospitable to snakes.

Oh man, wouldn't it stink to high heaven with them in there in the heat all summer though?

Snake wrangling is less expensive than I imagined. You could possibly have a long-term solution for $500-$700 (snakes removed, holes sealed). I realize that's a lot of money for someone who doesn't have any, but it's cheap in the grand scheme of things, and the relatives he is staying with might be motivated to help.

http://www.snake-removal.com/cost.html

dmmetler's idea of looking for a herp group might save some of the money. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 3

My husband had a client who told stories of somehow gassing out her entire house periodically to drive out and/or kill the snakes. I think it was carbon monoxide or something else rather scary. Maybe even explosive, lol. It definitely sounded dangerous. It seems like they did it over one season (winter?) but I don't recall which. It was really scary, but the snakes sounded really scary, too. So, maybe google this idea up, but definitely be careful. Yoikes. 

My husband had a client who told stories of somehow gassing out her entire house periodically to drive out and/or kill the snakes. I think it was carbon monoxide or something else rather scary. Maybe even explosive, lol. It definitely sounded dangerous. It seems like they did it over one season (winter?) but I don't recall which. It was really scary, but the snakes sounded really scary, too. So, maybe google this idea up, but definitely be careful. Yoikes.

This reminds me of the time the kids and I were having a blast playing with dry ice that came with a frozen food shipment, then everyone got light headed and we had to evacuate to fresh air!

But perhaps that (dry icing them out) could work. How much O2 do snakes need?

I would be seriously pondering whether the trailer and its contents are even worth salvaging.

First, the person will have to hire someone to remove the snakes. Next, they will need to snakeproof the trailer by repairing holes and cracks (this will have to be done right away so the snakes don't come right back in). Then they will have to do a through cleaning of the trailer to get rid of the mess left behind by snakes (ugh).

Given all the $$ and effort it will require, it may well be easier to start fresh and find somewhere else to live. 

• Like 1

I would be seriously pondering whether the trailer and its contents are even worth salvaging.

First, the person will have to hire someone to remove the snakes. Next, they will need to snakeproof the trailer by repairing holes and cracks (this will have to be done right away so the snakes don't come right back in). Then they will have to do a through cleaning of the trailer to get rid of the mess left behind by snakes (ugh).

Given all the $$ and effort it will require, it may well be easier to start fresh and find somewhere else to live.

Yes I wonder how much the trailer is worth. Some trailers are worth a lot....maybe they could get rid of the snakes and then move the trailer.