Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW17: Book news and notes

Robin M

Finished 3 books this week. :)

43. News of the World (audio) - quite enjoyed this one, although I think maybe this is one I should have read instead of getting the audio - the narrator wasn't awful, but I think sometimes took away rather than enhanced the story.  4 stars.

I finished  listening to this earlier this week and wasn't thrilled with the narrator either - I kept wishing he didn't sound so...I dunno, nasal maybe? I'm glad you enjoyed the story anyway :). 

I've been packing as I'm moving to a new-to-me house next week and just can't seem to settle into a print book. I've been listening to To Kill a Mockingbird narrated by Sissy Spacek - funny to see that Harper Lee's birthday is on the 28th of this month. 

• Like 12

Yay! According to the Goodread's site, I am finally caught up. I have read or listened to 16 books. Thank goodness for audiobooks.

As I traveled to VA and back this weekend, I listened to two audiobooks.

#1 - The Last Girl by Joe Hart

This is a dystopian novel about life after Dearth. The Dearth was a virus that caused all babies to be born male. It begins in 2015 but takes place about 20 years in the future. I enjoyed the premise of the book but the reader left something to be desired. (14 hours)

#2 - Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale

This is a pseudo-romance novel about a young woman whose fiance dies right before their wedding. The story revolves around her inability to move on with her life, despite having a potential new love interest. (9 hours)

---

How do you count the reading you do that isn't necessarily a full book? I've been doing a lot of research the last two weeks and have read about 300 pages. I haven't counted any of that reading but I've learned quite a bit and feel it should count as something.

• Like 15

Thanks for the offer, but I have indeed already ordered myself a German copy! :D  Did you like the book?

Very much.

These posts serve as a good reminder that I need to watch the 1932 film based on the novel--haven't seen it in decades--as well as Wes Anderson's delightful homage, The Grand Budapest Hotel.

• Like 12

A one day only currently free work of gothic fiction for Kindle readers ~

The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg

"The haunting story of two brothers: one happy, the other tormented by demons

George and Robert are brothers, but their upbringings couldn’t have been more different. George was raised by his fun-loving father, while Robert was brought up in the stern Calvinist faith, taught to see Satan lurking around every corner. The siblings were always enemies, and when George is found with a sword buried in his back, Robert is named the culprit, beginning a strange and terrible journey that will take him out of his mind—and into the arms of the devil himself.

This unique novel, first published in 1824, is one of the most remarkable explorations of supernatural evil in Western literature. A gothic masterpiece told from multiple perspectives, its influence can be felt in the works of authors from Robert Louis Stevenson to Stephen King."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I finished Diamond!

D: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larson (#1 Millennium, Scotland, 590)  Wasn’t at all what I expected and looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Congrats! And I'm jealous about your D book. Sometimes I think about re-reading those...

Jane, I'll have to put My Struggle on the to-read...someday list. It sounds wonderful, and it sounds like you had a good time with your son and his gf. 

I have been busy, partly with stuff over on Writers' Village (unending thanks to Robin for mentioning it here) and partly with death/funeral stuff (my grandmother), the bright side of which was that I saw a lot of relatives I haven't seen in a long time. 

I imagine I am still reading everything I was still reading last time I posted. :( I am making progress here and there with most things and still making steady, 2-chapters-a-week progress with From the Beast to the Blonde. My youngest and I will be taking a train to and from Virginia soon to visit my brother and his family. I was debating between Gone with the Wind, Yalo, and Murder on the Orient Express for what to read on the train, but as I've been unable to keep up with my eldest's reading of Great Expectations, I guess that's what it'll have to be. May lots of train time help me get caught up. 

ETA: Oh! I did finish something. After finishing Anne Sexton's Transformations, I needed to read a dusty book for my every-other-book-is-dusty goal, so I read the oldest unread book on my Kindle (oldest by purchase date, not publication date), which was The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen. I don't know, any longer, why I got that book in the first place. It was very dark, plus misogynistic and a little stiff. Interesting overall structure.

Edited by crstarlette
  • Like 15

Congrats! And I'm jealous about your D book. Sometimes I think about re-reading those...

Jane, I'll have to put My Struggle on the to-read...someday list. It sounds wonderful, and it sounds like you had a good time with your son and his gf. 

I have been busy, partly with stuff over on Writers' Village (unending thanks to Robin for mentioning it here) and partly with death/funeral stuff (my grandmother), the bright side of which was that I saw a lot of relatives I haven't seen in a long time. 

I imagine I am still reading everything I was still reading last time I posted. :( I am making progress here and there with most things and still making steady, 2-chapters-a-week progress with From the Beast to the Blonde. My youngest and I will be taking a train to and from Virginia soon to visit my brother and his family. I was debating between Gone with the Wind, Yalo, and Murder on the Orient Express for what to read on the train, but as I've been unable to keep up with my eldest's reading of Great Expectations, I guess that's what it'll have to be. May lots of train time help me get caught up. 

Sorry for your loss.

Crstarlette, I want to refer you back to last week's thread, post #8, in which I made you an offer. Sounds like both you and Stacia have a lot on your plates.  The book awaits the two of you.

Huzzah for the train ride!  Lots of time to read and think.

• Like 12

Yay Heather! Good work on 52! What's your goal for the year?

Diamonds for Robin!  Yay!  :)

I know exactly what you mean and I've only read 3 of those books. Would it be too weird to go grocery shopping for brie, baguettes, etc. before I sit down to read her next book? 

It would be smart. I always find myself craving food when I read her books too and a nice quiet cafe to sit in to read or solve a mystery. Whatever.  Also I need more charming quirky friends ... who might or might not be murderers.

• Like 13

Finished: Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie - A woman dies at a dinner party on her birthday and one year later the same people sit down to a second dinner party. This started off so interesting* because it jumped between viewpoints so we got to instantly know all the characters well. Then somewhere around the middle it got a little bogged down. The ending was a bit lame for our beloved Agatha but overall still a fun listen.

*It was so interesting in fact that I started it at 5 am on my way to a business conference in Des Moines.  I live in Kansas City. I was so absorbed in the story that I didn't realize I had gotten on the wrong highway until I saw a "Welcome to Omaha" sign. Oops!!! It ended up fine because I just had to be there sometime before noon and I had a little extra time to listen to the book as I drove from Omaha to Des Moines. 

• Like 15

Also I need more charming quirky friends ... who might or might not be murderers.

I'd say we are a charming and quirky bunch here, and you never know about murderers. I had a charming and quirky co-worker who is now serving a life sentence for murder.

*It was so interesting in fact that I started it at 5 am on my way to a business conference in Des Moines.  I live in Kansas City. I was so absorbed in the story that I didn't realize I had gotten on the wrong highway until I saw a "Welcome to Omaha" sign. Oops!!! It ended up fine because I just had to be there sometime before noon and I had a little extra time to listen to the book as I drove from Omaha to Des Moines. 

:lol: Don't all Midwestern roads look alike anyway?! 

These posts serve as a good reminder that I need to watch the 1932 film based on the novel--haven't seen it in decades--as well as Wes Anderson's delightful homage, The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Wait -- Grand Budapest Hotel was based on a book?! Loved that movie.

• Like 14

Wait -- Grand Budapest Hotel was based on a book?! Loved that movie.

I read somewhere that it gave a nod to the film Grand Hotel which is based on the novel making the round robin.  The all knowing Wikipedia informs me that Grand Budapest Hotel is based on the writings of Stefan Zweig.

• Like 12

Group video night!

Btw Grand Hotel is only going to keep round robin-ing if someone speaks up for it. Who's next?

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 11

Heather, how is your dd these days?

She's doing okay.  She's in so much pain from her neck.  Thankfully, the Lyrica is helping the fibro pain so much so her overall pain level isn't as bad as it was.  She's on Benadryl to make her sleep at night and she's getting 2-3 more hours a night now.  They don't think she'll need surgery so that's a relief.  She started physical therapy today.  She'll be doing that 2-3 times a week for at least a month.  Her cervical vertebrae rotate when she moves her neck plus her front neck muscles are much weaker than her back neck muscles and she has craniocervical instability.  These are all not surprising since she has Ehlers-Danlos, but it all equals lots of pain and is also the cause of the numbness in her mouth.  So they are working on retraining those muscles so her neck can be strong enough to hold up her head.  Doctors have literally laughed at her when she has said in the past that her neck felt too weak to hold up her head.  Turns out she wasn't crazy (and had one of those doctors not laughed but tried to figure out what was going on, we might have been able to prevent the herniated discs).  She's started walking once a week.  She started at 1/2 mile and is working up to a mile each time.  Her ultimate goal is to be able to train at taekwondo again.  They want us to see a pediatric orthopedic doctor who specializes in spines as well and also an ENT to see if her constant dizziness when she turns is due to something vestibular.

It's been a long road, but the pieces are fitting together and while she may always have some pain, we are very happy to finally have answers and plans for making things manageable.

Her most recent video on Invisible Recovery was about getting out of bed and exercising.

Yay Heather! Good work on 52! What's your goal for the year?

I had arbitrarily picked 131 because it's a prime number and it's around what I normally read in a year, but GoodReads tells me I was 12 books ahead of that goal. So I might have to increase it.

• Like 15

George and Robert are brothers, but their upbringings couldn’t have been more different. George was raised by his fun-loving father, while Robert was brought up in the stern Calvinist faith, taught to see Satan lurking around every corner. The siblings were always enemies, and when George is found with a sword buried in his back, Robert is named the culprit, beginning a strange and terrible journey that will take him out of his mind—and into the arms of the devil himself.

This unique novel, first published in 1824, is one of the most remarkable explorations of supernatural evil in Western literature. A gothic masterpiece told from multiple perspectives, its influence can be felt in the works of authors from Robert Louis Stevenson to Stephen King."

Regards,

Kareni

Great work of Scottish literature, with a pivotal scene taking place on the crest of Arthur's Seat! I loved this book. (I looked hard for a Brocken spectre [see Wikipedia] when we climbed Arthur's Seat, but there was only a group of drunken tattooed Russians.) Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 11

Regards,

Kareni

This is kind of perfect for me right now, thanks!

Doctors have literally laughed at her when she has said in the past that her neck felt too weak to hold up her head.  Turns out she wasn't crazy (and had one of those doctors not laughed but tried to figure out what was going on, we might have been able to prevent the herniated discs). 

That is infuriating. So sorry you are all going through this, and I'm glad she's getting care now.

Her most recent video on Invisible Recovery was about getting out of bed and exercising.

I shared your daughter's channel with a friend who has chronic pain and numbness issues. 

• Like 9

Group video night!

Btw Grand Hotel is only going to keep round robin-ing if someone speaks up for it. Who's next?

[waving hand excitedly]  Me!!!

And, the rest of you can be jealous, cause it looks like VC will be able to hand the book over to me in person  :coolgleamA:

Heather -- due to a change in plans we won't be going through San Antonio after all.  :huh: The Alamo and Riverwalk will have to wait for the next road trip.

• Like 15

[waving hand excitedly]  Me!!!

And, the rest of you can be jealous, cause it looks like VC will be able to hand the book over to me in person  :coolgleamA:

No fair.  Where is the green-eyed monster emoticon?

I was supposed to do some after school sewing with a few teens today.  Considering that there is a lake in my yard (four inches of rain have fallen today with more expected), I think I made a good call to cancel.

• Like 14

I'm so sorry, Robyn. Sending hugs and good thoughts your way

Hugs Faith.    So hard when we lose our fur babies too as they become part of our families.   When we lost Herbie last year, our vet sent us a nice card with his paw print and a ribbon of his fur. 

I finally dove into a dusty book --Halldor Laxness's literary tale The Great Weaver of Kashmir.  Half way through and it's mind blowing, wading through the main male character's thoughts on life. A diatribe against all ....ism's, women, God, religion, philosophy and life in general. Lots of food for thought. No one is any good and all he wants to do is go live alone in Iceland on a farm with his pigs and cows. The main female character who has doted on him all her life, despite his flaws, seems to be growing up and I'm hoping finds wisdom in the 2nd half of the story.  Intriguing and bizarre and well done, but definitely have to be in the mood to read it. 

• Like 15

Crstarlette, I am so sorry. :grouphug:

Faithr, :grouphug:

Stacia, Your beloved kitty's pictures are so cute. I feel so bad for all of you.

Now for my book update. I spent much of last night reading The Last One by Alexandra Oliva. I had quite a surprise and am a bit embarrassed because of what I posted yesterday. It's dystopian. I filled my bingo square completely by accident. It was pretty good but not just the story of a reality show gone bad! :lol:

• Like 13

I finally dove into a dusty book --Halldor Laxness's literary tale The Great Weaver of Kashmir.  Half way through and it's mind blowing, wading through the main male character's thoughts on life. A diatribe against all ....ism's, women, God, religion, philosophy and life in general. Lots of food for thought. No one is any good and all he wants to do is go live alone in Iceland on a farm with his pigs and cows. The main female character who has doted on him all her life, despite his flaws, seems to be growing up and I'm hoping finds wisdom in the 2nd half of the story.  Intriguing and bizarre and well done, but definitely have to be in the mood to read it. 

I have a Laxness novel in my dusty stacks as well.  The one you are reading was written when Laxness was a young man in his twenties.  You may not find that hoped for wisdom.  The one in my stacks is Wayward Heroes, a reworking of Icelandic sagas, penned almost 30 years later.  Laxness produced an amazing body of work but then he lived into his 90's.

General note:  Laxness received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1955.

• Like 12

I have a Laxness novel in my dusty stacks as well.  The one you are reading was written when Laxness was a young man in his twenties.  You may not find that hoped for wisdom.  The one in my stacks is Wayward Heroes, a reworking of Icelandic sagas, penned almost 30 years later.  Laxness produced an amazing body of work but then he lived into his 90's.

I have a Laxness book en route - it's a German translation.  I ordered it sometime in March, and the expected delivery date is May 3rd.  I think it must be coming from Europe or somewhere via carrier pigeon...

The one I'm getting is called Sein eigener Herr, I think it's Independent People in English?  has anyone read that?  I think it also involves lots of farming with sheep.

• Like 14

Heather, sending continued good thoughts for your daughter.  Oh, and congratulations on having read 52 books!

crstarlette, my sympathies on the death of your grandmother.

I've finished several books recently ~

Holly and Hopeful Hearts: A Bluestocking Belles Collection  by Caroline Warfield and Jude Knight and several others

As with many anthologies, I found the stories here to be uneven in appeal.  The collection is unusual though in that not all of the couples in this linked regency collection are the standard ton couple -- there is a Jewish couple, a character who is part Turkish, and a couple who are lesbians.  It's also a lengthy read, some 650 pages plus.

"When the Duchess of Haverford sends out invitations to a Yuletide house party and a New Year’s Eve ball at her country estate, Hollystone Hall, those who respond know that Her Grace intends to raise money for her favorite cause and promote whatever marriages she can. Eight assorted heroes and heroines set out with their pocketbooks firmly clutched and hearts in protective custody. Or are they?

The Bluestocking Belles are proud to present eight never before published novellas centered on the Duchess of Haverford's ball. Her favorite cause is also one dear to the hearts of the Bluestocking Belles, women's education. 25% of all proceeds will be donated to the Malala Fund.

A Suitable Husband, by Jude Knight

As the Duchess of Haverford’s companion, Cedrica Grenford is not treated as a poor relation and is encouraged to mingle with Her Grace’s guests. Perhaps among the gentlemen gathered for the duchess’s house party, she will find a suitable husband?

Valuing Vanessa, by Susana Ellis

Facing a dim future as a spinster under her mother’s thumb, Vanessa Sedgely makes a practical decision to attach an amiable gentleman who will not try to rule her life.

A Kiss for Charity, by Sherry Ewing

Young widow Grace, Lady de Courtenay, has no idea how a close encounter with a rake at a masquerade ball would make her yearn for love again.

Artemis, by Jessica Cale

Actress Charlotte Halfpenny is in trouble. Pregnant, abandoned by her lover, and out of a job, Charlotte faces eviction two weeks before Christmas. When the reclusive Earl of Somerton makes her an outrageous offer, she has no choice but to accept. Could he be the man of her dreams, or is the nightmare just beginning?

The Bluestocking and the Barbarian, by Jude Knight

James must marry to please his grandfather, the duke, and to win social acceptance for himself and his father’s other foreign-born children. But only Lady Sophia Belvoir makes his heart sing, and to win her he must invite himself to spend Christmas at the home of his father’s greatest enemy.

Christmas Kisses, by Nicole Zoltack

Louisa Wycliff, Dowager Countess of Exeter wants only for her darling daughter, Anna, to find a man she can love and marry. Appallingly, Anna has her sights on a scoundrel of a duke who chases after every skirt he sees. Anna truly thinks the dashing duke cares for her, but her mother has her doubts.

An Open Heart, by Caroline Warfield

Esther Baumann longs for a loving husband who will help her create a home where they will teach their children to value the traditions of their people, but she wants a man who is also open to new ideas and happy to make friends outside their narrow circle. Is it so unreasonable to ask for toe curling passion as well?

Dashing Through the Snow, by Amy Rose Bennett

Headstrong bluestocking, Miss Kate Woodville, never thought her Christmas would be spent racing across England with a viscount hell-bent on vengeance. She certainly never expected to find love..."

The next was an inadvertent re-read as I did not recognize the description of the book.  It's not a book I'm likely to re-read again (barring memory issues!).  (Adult content)

"Talk about getting your signals crossed…

When her brother cancels their backcountry ski trip, Robyn Maxwell takes it in stride. The fact she’s deaf doesn’t make her survival skills any weaker, and she’s been craving the chance to escape into the Yukon wilderness. Only the sexy beast of a man she bumps into at the cabin starts cravings of another kind, setting her hormones raging as well as raising strange questions about wolves, and mates, and pack challenges.

All wilderness guide Keil Lynus wanted was a nice quiet retreat before challenging for the Alpha position of his Alaskan pack. He wasn’t planning on meeting his destined mate, or finding out she’s not aware she has the genes of a wolf. Between dealing with his accident-prone younger brother, a deaf mate with an attitude and an impending duel to the death, his week—and his bed—is suddenly full.

Far from the relaxing getaway any of them had in mind…"

and Bound to You: A One Night of Passion Novella  by Beth Kery.  I was interested in reading this as it featured a couple who made an appearance in another of the author's books.  (Significant adult content)

(I'll skip the blurb as it may make some blush.)

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 10

I have a Laxness book en route - it's a German translation.  I ordered it sometime in March, and the expected delivery date is May 3rd.  I think it must be coming from Europe or somewhere via carrier pigeon...

The one I'm getting is called Sein eigener Herr, I think it's Independent People in English?  has anyone read that?  I think it also involves lots of farming with sheep.

No haven't read it at this point. From what I've read about it, goes into the icelandic sagas, then deals with relationships, materialism and social issues in the 1930's.  Will be waiting to see what you think as discovered I'm enjoying digging into icelandic history and stories. 

• Like 10

Well shucks to the bolded, however I learned to not expect happy endings with literary fiction.  Just can't read too many at once or my mind will explode.  :lol:   

• Like 9

Finished 3 books this week. :)

43. News of the World (audio) - quite enjoyed this one, although I think maybe this is one I should have read instead of getting the audio - the narrator wasn't awful, but I think sometimes took away rather than enhanced the story.  4 stars.

I just got this from the library!  Heard so many positive things so I'm looking forward to it.

I just picked up Waking Gods the next book after Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel.  Just from the inside jacket this sounds really good!

Next after these two is another Scandinavian crime fiction pick:  The Ice Beneath Her by Camilla Grebe.  Saw this on many must-read lists!

On a side note:  I was just thinking about how so many people I know say that when summer comes they don't read as much because they want to be outside. I happen to get my reading done at night in bed, so I LOVE summer reading and probably spend even more time in a book on warmer evenings!  Open windows, breeze and little critter/insect sounds...so relaxing!

• Like 14

Currently Reading

📚The Power of Habit by Duhigg - Finally starting to make some real progress on this with the Warner book complete. He cites a remarkably diverse set of examples from the founder of AA to a NFL coach to a former CEO of Alcoa.

📚Bloody Jack by Meyer- my current audiobook for the seaworthy bingo square. They're just putting out to sea. Interesting so far.

📚The Amulet of Samarkand by Stroud - I've assigned this to ds1 for lit. Actually since he blew through the Lord of the Rings trilogy so quickly in the fall, I'm using lit as an excuse to throw a bunch of new books and authors at him with the hope that he finds more series to enjoy, which means reading along with him since it's new to me as well.

📚Crystal Clear by Heller - I picked this up for the gemstone challenge since I've been reading books with the color of the gem in the title and will try to finish it this week.

I love the Jonothan Stroud trilogy. We are reading the 3rd book right now.

• Like 10

<SNIP>

On a side note:  I was just thinking about how so many people I know say that when summer comes they don't read as much because they want to be outside. I happen to get my reading done at night in bed, so I LOVE summer reading and probably spend even more time in a book on warmer evenings!  Open windows, breeze and little critter/insect sounds...so relaxing!

I love summer reading. I have been known to take books with me in my kayak - there's nothing better than to float in a backwater somewhere with a good book and a snack. I also take a stack of books or a loaded Kindle on campouts. I love snuggling into my sleeping bag (or the pop up) with a good book after a long day hiking. DS always carried a book with him in his backpack when he was a boy scout.

I do not take audio books, though. I want to hear whatever is out there as I find it relaxing, too.

• Like 12

I finished reading The Sisters Brothers tonight. What an odd book, so very very well written, such interesting quirky characters and such a unique narrative voice. There were things I (really) didn't like about it, but I ended it with a smile and a chuckle, so I guess the positives far outweighed the negatives. Pretty sure I won't go see the movie, though, I don't think I'd like to see some of the stuff that I was not thrilled reading. I'll let Stacia go see it first and tell me if it's not-to-be missed.  ;)  :D

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 14

I finished reading The Sisters Brothers tonight. What an odd book, so very very well written, such interesting quirky characters and such a unique narrative voice. There were things I (really) didn't like about it, but I ended it with a smile and a chuckle, so I guess the positives far outweighed the negatives. Pretty sure I won't go see the movie, though, I don't think I'd like to see some of the stuff that I was not thrilled reading. I'll let Stacia go see it first and tell me if it's not-to-be missed.  ;)  :D

My dh really enjoyed this one, although he told me he didn't think I'd love it.  I trust his opinion and he knows what I like really well so I never picked it up.  I'm curious about the negatives now...  LOL

• Like 11

Speaking of movie adaptations: 

We went to see Lost City of Z today, and it was rather disappointing. It was more like the lost movie of Z, never quite deciding what to focus on, never quite capturing Percy Fawcett's obsession, and all without any truly jaw-dropping cinematography which the jungles of the Amazon deserve. 

• Like 11

A new day with the sun poking its nose into a very drenched world on my end.  I hope that everyone rises with a feeling a well being today.

I finished Book 3 in My Struggle last night.  And this led me to think about the translator, Don Bartlett, who took on an ambitious project of translating one volume of Knausgaard per year.  Imagine living inside someone's writing so intensely!

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2015/04/28/translating-knausgaard-an-interview-with-don-bartlett/

So what's next?  I pulled a Graham Greene out of the stacks, The Quiet American.  Written in the '50's, Greene essentially foresees American involvement in the Vietnam war. 

I also have a one off from Arnaldur Indridason, Operation Napoleon.  This thriller was written earlier in his career and translated into English two decades later after Arnaldur's popularity soared. I don't expect it to be as good as the Erlendur books but walking along Iceland's glaciers is always a treat.

• Like 12

We read tons in the summer. When my children became teenagers and were suddenly low energy vacation companions, I made them hammocks and put a lot of effort into making up a large bag of appealing books. It worked! I had happy teenagers on a family vacation. Granted, they pretty much climbed into their hammocks as soon as they woke up, spent as much time sleeping as reading,and didn't emerge until supper, but they came willingly and, which I thought was important, got rested up. Packing enough books to last us when we go sailing for a month is a problem, too. I put them in heavy duty ziplocks and we pack them tightly under the bunks along with the water, hurricane ancher, and a month worth of suppers, kitty litter, dog food, and paper towels. Retrieving them is such a nuisance.

Nan

• Like 13

Jane, I've been watching that giant swirling green and yellow patch on top of you on my weather map!

I watched the water rise in my yard as a lake formed and then also kept an eye on the radar wondering when it would end. Fortunately last night's rain was light. There is the possibility of scattered showers today. The good news is that they shouldn't stall like the big mass did yesterday.

Now to deal with mosquitoes from all of the standing water! 

• Like 10

Speaking of movie adaptations: 

We went to see Lost City of Z today, and it was rather disappointing. It was more like the lost movie of Z, never quite deciding what to focus on, never quite capturing Percy Fawcett's obsession, and all without any truly jaw-dropping cinematography which the jungles of the Amazon deserve. 

I thought the book was just OK.  The whole time I was reading it, if I remember correctly, I thought the actual story was fascinating but just did NOT care too much for the people!  (Perhaps obsession is highly annoying to me...lol)  I've heard all negative/disappointed reviews of the movie so I doubt I'll bother.  Bummer.

• Like 9

<snip> Packing enough books to last us when we go sailing for a month is a problem, too. I put them in heavy duty ziplocks and we pack them tightly under the bunks along with the water, hurricane ancher, and a month worth of suppers, kitty litter, dog food, and paper towels. Retrieving them is such a nuisance.

Nan

Oh my goodness, that sounds like so much fun. That's the stuff dreams are made of.  

I would love to read about your adventures on a sailboat with teens, a cat, and a dog.

• Like 11

My dh really enjoyed this one, although he told me he didn't think I'd love it.  I trust his opinion and he knows what I like really well so I never picked it up.  I'm curious about the negatives now...  LOL

The pros were the interesting characters and the wonderful dialog. The cons - well, the big ones for me were animal cruelty and callous environmental pollution. There was also a fair amount of violence - it is a story about two brothers who are hired killers, after all - and some gross descriptions of injuries. And non-injured body parts and bodily functions.  

Like I said, the pros outweighed the cons, but then again I never would have picked this book up in the first place if it didn't fill a Bingo category. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The writing was fantastic.

• Like 12

I'm back to reading The Shadow Land. Part two is simply a continuation with the flashbacks being about the Bulgarian characters so not quite the cut off point I had imagined. It's good not riveting which is how I felt about The Historian more of a low key interesting. Putting context to historical bits I know. Not particularly fond of any of the characters so that is probably much of the problem for me.

Also read quite a bit of Ink and Bone on the Kindle during the night. Mom Ninja read it months ago and I have been on the wait list every since! Fun and clever. The series is called The Great Library. It's YA.

• Like 14