Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW17: Book news and notes

Robin M

Random thought from the orchestra pit, because sitting quietly listening to the same lines night after night leaves one lots of time to contemplate. 

We are in danger of losing the spoken letter "t" when it comes in the middle of a word such as "button" or "important". It is being replaced by a glottal stop. The younger generation in particular seems unable to say "but-ton" even when reminded repeatedly by the director.  "Buh-n"  or "impor-nt" 

• Like 8

I've continued with my re-read of Anne Bishop's Novels of the Others and have finished book two which I enjoyed once again.  Curiously, I could download book five from the library immediately (and did) but would have to wait for books three and four.  I'll be making a trip to the library today and hoping that nobody nabs those copies from the shelf before I get there.  This is definitely a series that should be read in order.

"Return to New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop’s “phenomenal†(Urban Fantasy Investigations) world of the Others—where supernatural entities and humans struggle to co-exist, and one woman has begun to change all the rules…

After winning the trust of the terra indigene residing in the Lakeside Courtyard, Meg Corbyn has had trouble figuring out what it means to live among them. As a human, Meg should be barely tolerated prey, but her abilities as a cassandra sangue make her something more.

The appearance of two addictive drugs has sparked violence between the humans and the Others, resulting in the murder of both species in nearby cities. So when Meg has a dream about blood and black feathers in the snow, Simon Wolfgard—Lakeside’s shape-shifting leader—wonders if their blood prophet dreamed of a past attack or a future threat.

As the urge to speak prophecies strikes Meg more frequently, trouble finds its way inside the Courtyard. Now, the Others and the handful of humans residing there must work together to stop the man bent on reclaiming their blood prophet—and stop the danger that threatens to destroy them all."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Random thought from the orchestra pit, because sitting quietly listening to the same lines night after night leaves one lots of time to contemplate. 

We are in danger of losing the spoken letter "t" when it comes in the middle of a word such as "button" or "important". It is being replaced by a glottal stop. The younger generation in particular seems unable to say "but-ton" even when reminded repeatedly by the director.  "Buh-n"  or "impor-nt" 

My brother is a linguistics professor and the t in the middle of words is actually something he has studied.  It is very much dependent on where you live.  Where I grew up (southern MD) and where I live now (San Antonio TX) the majority of people most definitely pronounce the t.  In other places, for example in Utah, they do the glottal stop.  My brother will tell you this is not new.

We use Spelling-You-See and one of the things marked is silent letters.  The problem is, some of the letters they say are silent, we pronounce!  I posted about it on Facebook a few weeks ago and asked if people pronounce those letters SYS says are silent and it was pretty even whether they did or didn't and very much dependent on where they lived.

• Like 8

A review of a book that might interest some here.  The comments are interesting, too ~

Bold Spirit by Linda Lawrence Hunt (reviewed by Carrie S)

"In 1896, Helga Estby went for a walk with her seventeen-year-old daughter, Clara. They started off from Spokane, Washington, and ended up in New York City. The story of that walk is the topic of the nonfiction book, Bold Spirit: Helga Estby’s Forgotten Walk Across Victorian America. 

Helga emigrated to the US from Norway when she was eleven years old. At fifteen, she became pregnant. She married a farmer, Ole Estby, and had the baby — Clara, who probably had a different father — while married to him. During their married life they had ten children (counting Clara and a baby who was stillborn). They lost another son to heart problems just after he turned twelve.

During the Financial Panic of 1893, the Estbys were in danger of losing their farm. An anonymous source (who has never been identified) offered Helga a prize of $10,000 if she and Clara would walk across America. There were various stipulations – for instance, they had to work their way across the country and could not start off with more than $5, they couldn’t ask anyone for a ride but if offered they could ride in some kinds of conveyances (a wagon, for instance) but not others (no trains). Once they got from Spokane to Salt Lake City, the women would have to wear bicycle skirts (shorter than regular dresses, with leggings instead of petticoats). The women would have to complete the walk within seven months of starting out...."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

My brother is a linguistics professor and the t in the middle of words is actually something he has studied.  It is very much dependent on where you live.  Where I grew up (southern MD) and where I live now (San Antonio TX) the majority of people most definitely pronounce the t.  In other places, for example in Utah, they do the glottal stop.  My brother will tell you this is not new.

We use Spelling-You-See and one of the things marked is silent letters.  The problem is, some of the letters they say are silent, we pronounce!  I posted about it on Facebook a few weeks ago and asked if people pronounce those letters SYS says are silent and it was pretty even whether they did or didn't and very much dependent on where they lived.

This is fascinating stuff! More for me to contemplate in those long dialog scenes today. 

I was amused recently when some high school kids were telling me about their band trip to NYC, that people couldn't understand their "California accent". It must have been all those dropped mid-word t's.

• Like 8

A favorite author of mine is Sarina Bowen.  One of her books is currently available free in German.  Not speaking German, I can't tell if this is the whole book or a portion.

XXL-Leseprobe: True North - Wo auch immer du bist (Vermont-Reihe 1) (German Edition)  by Sarina Bowen

"XXL-Leseprobe zu Sarina Bowens "True North - Wo auch immer du bist":

Sie ist die Süße zu meiner Bitterkeit, die Balance, die meinem Leben immer fehlte, und die sinnlichste Versuchung, die ich jemals gekostet habe.

Als Audrey Kidder der finstere Blick von Griffin Shipley trifft, weiß sie sofort, dass ihr Auftrag in Vermont schwieriger wird als gedacht. Doch sie hat keine Wahl: Wenn sie ihren Job behalten will, muss sie Griff davon überzeugen, seinen preisgekrönten Cider zum halben Preis zu verkaufen. Eine harte Nuss, denn der Bio-Farmer ist nicht nur ausgesprochen stur - und unheimlich attraktiv -, sondern seit ihrer heißen Affäre am College auch nicht besonders gut auf Audrey zu sprechen. Und dass sich Audrey in Griffs Nähe augenblicklich so zu Hause fühlt wie nirgends sonst auf der Welt, macht die Sache alles andere als einfach ...

Diese Leseprobe enthält außerdem eine Mini-Bonusszene sowie ein köstliches Rezept für Audreys Erdbeer-Shortcake."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

There will be no recipes forthcoming from the Nordic cookbook.  

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25208269-the-nordic-cookbook?from_search=true

It was beautiful. The paper and the art was awesome. I loved the introduction and history of why food was the way it was in the area. Then I started reading the recipes. I literally didn't see any recipes that I was interested in making.  Maybe I would have attempted some creamed vegetables but otherwise no. Maybe because I don't even know where I would buy reindeer hearts around here. 

I'm not kidding.

About 95% of the recipes fell in the category of "things I don't even know where to buy". Eels. Puffins. Reindeer.  

:huh:  Nope!

It was fun to read through though!

Looking forward to recipes......

These aren't new but Commotion in the Ocean and Rumble in the Jungle, a couple of favourites from the dc's reappeared in term of being the free book in the borough's library bag that every little person is given if they visit their local library and get a card.

For new to you.....maybe Winnie the Witch? https://www.waterstones.com/product/winnie-the-witch/valerie-thomas/korky-paul/9780192793072. We loved these! I was able to buy them at Borders many years ago.........

Thank you! Those are all new to us.

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 7

I think my son's favorite book when he was three was The Quangle Wangle's Hat.  I can still recite parts of this Lear poem because I read the book SO MANY times.  Helen Oxenbury illustrations. 

I'd like to share a photo of something that most people don't usually see in person: blooming Venus Flytraps in the wild.

34346241165_a593505fa6_z.jpg

We spent our morning hiking and wandered into an area with several insectivorous plants:  flytraps, pitcher plants and sundews.

• Like 13

There will be no recipes forthcoming from the Nordic cookbook.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25208269-the-nordic-cookbook?from_search=true

It was beautiful. The paper and the art was awesome. I loved the introduction and history of why food was the way it was in the area. Then I started reading the recipes. I literally didn't see any recipes that I was interested in making. Maybe I would have attempted some creamed vegetables but otherwise no. Maybe because I don't even know where I would buy reindeer hearts around here.

I'm not kidding.

About 95% of the recipes fell in the category of "things I don't even know where to buy". Eels. Puffins. Reindeer.

:huh: Nope!

It was fun to read through though!

I had the same opinion with a browse. Lovely book but much I would eat, let alone make. Edited by Penguin
  • Like 8

What about Janwillem van de Wetering's wonderful Grijpstra and de Geir mysteries? Set in and around Amsterdam, these books feature a little jazz, a little Zen Buddism, and of course an interesting mystery. Why am I not rereading these books?

These look good! And the first one is only $1.99 on kindle. Sold!
  • Like 7

Amy, I thought of one more that Ds particularly liked. The Elf's Hat https://bookpage.com/reviews/1374-brigitte-weninger-rowe-elfs-hat#.WQU7IzkXYv4

Jane, Thanks for the beautiful photo. I never imagined venus flytraps growing wild in the US. I thought they were from South America for some reason.

Flytraps are native to a small region in the Carolinas. Elsewhere they are cultivated.
  • Like 8

I'd like to share a photo of something that most people don't usually see in person: blooming Venus Flytraps in the wild. ...

Thanks for sharing the photo, Jane. 

Due to a combination of finances, amount of living space, and allergies, we elected not to have a cat or a dog while my daughter was growing up.  Instead she had a Venus Flytrap; she named it Vicious!

Given the family's interest in carnivorous plants, we were delighted on a family vacation to spot Darlingtonia in the wild and to come across a Darlingtonia preserve.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I have a light New England accent and I don't hear an accent in the voices of the Californians I know, not as much as the locals who have a stronger New England accent or some people I know from New York. I use a glottal stop for a t in the middle of words and I think dropping the middle and end of words gets worse in a stronger New England accent. Something turns into sumXm. "U bah sle[silent p] thah lass nahX." (I used a X for the glottal stop since I don't remember the symbol for one. )

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 9

We frequently run in to people in the UK that announce they can identify North American accents. One guy memorably told me he could even do major cities and was always right with Chicago! Yep, I was Chicago and have at least been there. Haven't met one yet who really could. I suspect people just smile and say they are right.

• Like 6

I finished The Woman on the Orient Express  by Lindsay Jayne Ashford. I enjoyed it and believe I gave it more stars than any other book I have read as of late. There was the right amount of intrigue, romance, and adventure.

I read this one as a combination ebook - audio book so I could listen to it while driving to the tennis courts and then read while waiting for my court time. Let me say I have developed a girl crush on the reader, Justine Eyre. She is by far the best narrator I have listened to. I did a quick search on her and she has over 300 books to her credit. That number is encouraging. Surely I can find something else she has narrated to listen to while I drive/walk/clean/procrastinate.

• Like 10