Menu

New Dishwasher?

TKDmom

I'm buying a new house, and its dishwasher is broken--not repairable. So I get to pick my very own dishwasher with a $600 credit from the seller. Do you have a dishwasher you love? I want one that's quiet, and can handle a lot of dishes. Recommendations please?

Top of the line Kitchen Aide if you like to wash pots in the dishwasher.  The diagonal tines on the Bosch make that too hard if not impossible.

Also KA if you're out in the boonies and have trouble finding a service person for uncommon or foreign brands--that is a CRUCIAL consideration, and Lowe's is not always truthful about that.  You have to check on your own, as my next door neighbor at the cabin found out.

Miele if it's locally available and serviced, and if you're willing to do a little more of your own preventative maintenance--far and away the best on the market, but only if you're close to a service person.  Excellent warranty also.  One caution--these look so modern and sleek that they can seriously make the rest of your appliances look bad.  Consider this possibility before you decide.  I had a bad similar experience with some country vs. elegant antiques once, and the result of having then in the same great room was to make the whole room as well as each individual, lovely piece look terrible.

• Like 1

We just got an Adora (made by GE for Home Depot).  It's amazing.  So quiet, cleans super well (including pots and pans with stuck on stuff).  We got the model with a top shelf for utensils.  My old dishwasher took almost 3 hours and I had to run it 2-3 times a day.  This one takes just under 2 hours and I have to run it once most days, rarely twice.  I can fit so much more in it.  Our water bill went down $25 the first month having it.

• Like 1

I loved our Bosch but when it needed service I couldn't find anyone. I called every repair guy in a 60 mile radius who had Bosch on their list of brands serviced. They worked on other Bosch stuff but not dishwashers. It was super frustrating. I called Bosch and they gave me a list of three authorized service people and not one would come to our town. I finally just replaced it.  

• Like 2

I loved our Bosch but when it needed service I couldn't find anyone. I called every repair guy in a 60 mile radius who had Bosch on their list of brands serviced. They worked on other Bosch stuff but not dishwashers. It was super frustrating. I called Bosch and they gave me a list of three authorized service people and not one would come to our town. I finally just replaced it.  

I've been trying to get our Bosch dishwasher repaired since mid-December.   I thought dealing with Sears service was bad before we had this dishwasher so we didn't buy from them this time.    Now we're stuck with a horrible extended warranty from a place called NSI/Warrantech...anyone reading this should avoid this place unless you like major headaches!   

And I'm not kidding...I got a phone call from Sears this evening.  The woman wanted us to renew our expired extended warranty on other appliances from them.  I told her that someone already called last week and my husband said no so please stop calling us.  She asked why we weren't interested, and I told her that the last time I tried to arrange service on our (old Kenmore) dishwasher the appointment was going to be weeks away and the person would be coming from Longview, WA...we're in Seattle.  There's no one closer???   So as I explained to the woman on the phone tonight, I was through dealing with Sears after that.  But then she wanted to sell us an entire home warranty!  She didn't succeed.  

• Like 2

I've been trying to get our Bosch dishwasher repaired since mid-December.   I thought dealing with Sears service was bad before we had this dishwasher so we didn't buy from them this time.    Now we're stuck with a horrible extended warranty from a place called NSI/Warrantech...anyone reading this should avoid this place unless you like major headaches!   

And I'm not kidding...I got a phone call from Sears this evening.  The woman wanted us to renew our expired extended warranty on other appliances from them.  I told her that someone already called last week and my husband said no so please stop calling us.  She asked why we weren't interested, and I told her that the last time I tried to arrange service on our (old Kenmore) dishwasher the appointment was going to be weeks away and the person would be coming from Longview, WA...we're in Seattle.  There's no one closer???   So as I explained to the woman on the phone tonight, I was through dealing with Sears after that.  But then she wanted to sell us an entire home warranty!  She didn't succeed.  

Isn't Sears going under?

Our fridge warranty just ran out. Even if I loved them, and I don't, I wouldn't give money to someone who isn't going to be around.

It took weeks to get our fridge fixed last time, because the code would come and go. They wouldn't send someone unless it was on, and it turned off multiple times before they would get here. @@

Do NOT buy a Kenmore Elite. That thing was a piece of crap from the get-go. Hated it. HATED it. I never knew it was possible to harbor so much hatred for an inanimate object, but there ya go.

Edited by Kinsa

Thanks everyone. I've heard great things about Bosch, and my go to ConsumerSearch ratings recommended a high-end Kitchen Aid. My realtor actually has 4 kids and a Bosch, and she loves the 3 racks for getting big loads of dishes done. 

I'm in the Metro DC area, so I would imagine that servicing shouldn't be an issue. But who knows? I would have guessed Seattle would have great service, too. The seller is also paying for a home warranty for us. I've never had one before. Have you run into service issues with a Home Warranty and particular appliance companies like Bosch?

Do NOT buy a Kenmore Elite. That thing was a piece of crap from the get-go. Hated it. HATED it. I never knew it was possible to harbor so much hatred for an inanimate object, but there ya go.

Before the Bosch, we had a Kenmore Elite and it developed a hidden leak which caused major water damage to our kitchen and the basement below.  No water ever came out onto the kitchen floor where we would have seen it.  The only reason I discovered the problem was because it happened during the summer when the weather was dry and I noticed a suspicious wet spot outside of the house and began to investigate.    

And that was the reason we bought a Bosch...the leak detector system.   (We bought it in 2013 and this will be the second repair it has needed....assuming we ever get someone to actually fix it.) 

• Like 1

Before the Bosch, we had a Kenmore Elite and it developed a hidden leak which caused major water damage to our kitchen and the basement below.  No water ever came out onto the kitchen floor where we would have seen it.  The only reason I discovered the problem was because it happened during the summer when the weather was dry and I noticed a suspicious wet spot outside of the house and began to investigate.    

And that was the reason we bought a Bosch...the leak detector system.   (We bought it in 2013 and this will be the second repair it has needed....assuming we ever get someone to actually fix it.) 

Ooh, I would have never thought to look for that. New house has hardwood floors and a finished basement. I'd be very sad to have to deal with that sort of water damage. 

I'm coming from a house in FL with linoleum on top of a concrete slab. I can't imagine a leak doing nearly as much damage or going undetected for long there. There's no where for the water to go.  :laugh: